Share | 

Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:21 pm

Okay, the progression is really simple:

First, take a hypothetical 1RM, then take 85-87% (whatever makes sense to you) of that and make it your 5RM. All your percentages will be based off of this 5RM.

For squat, bench press, and deadlift.

5x70%
5x76%
5x82%
5x88%
5x94%

If you still feel good, 5x100%

Stop if you reach RPE@9 (one rep left in the tank). Ideally, we don't exceed RPE@8 for the first squat and bench press sessions.

For hypothetical 1RMs, be a little ambitious if you're torn between two numbers, because being overly conservative might not end up giving us a good idea of where your strength is now.

A sample seven-day split might be:

Squat
Bench
Off
Squat
Bench
Deadlift
Off

If you're looking for compound accessory work, just take 40-50% and do repetition work with your main lifts. That'll be more valuable than anything else at this point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Great, thanks man.

So today the doctors cleared me to do heavy lifting again. There is no risk of screwing up the surgery or blowing out a suture or anything like that at this point. (Although it is entirely possible to develop completely new hemorrhoids, but that will always be the case) The only limiting factor is going to be my own pain tolerance. I'm going to go in and squat today and see how it feels both in terms of pain and of RPE.

I set a hypothetical 1RM of 350, so my sets will look like this, potentially. We'll see how difficult these are once I get under the weight, and how much pain they cause. I will progress through these sets and stop if the RPE hits @9 or if I start feeling intolerable pain.

210x5
230x5
245x5
265x5
280x5

Today is day 8 of the prep phase of CBL. I'll let you guys know how this goes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:44 pm

Too much information, as usual: I decided to forego testing the squat last night, since by the time I got home from my follow-up appointment I was starting to feel an increased level of pain from being examined. (Having a finger stuck up my still-healing ass). Didn't want to go to the gym to test what sort of pain squatting is going to cause while already at an elevated level of discomfort, because I don't want to skew the results, and wanted to set myself up for success in my first heavy session back. So, that will happen tonight instead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:11 pm

1/29 (S+26)

Bar x5x3
95x5
135x3x3
185x2
200x1

210x5
230x5
245x5 @7.5
265x5 @8-8.5
280x5 @ 9

135x10x2

So, it went pretty well today. Once I got to 280 I was pretty tired and my form began to break down significantly. It turned out to be an ugly set although it could've been harder. Would've filmed these but my phone was acting up. I'm still obviously figuring out bar placement, walkout, and all sorts of things again. Did a couple of extra sets of 135 afterwards to get in some extra technique work. All in all I really can't complain about how today went after a month of not lifting and being on an 8 day carb fast. No discomfort or pain during the sets, but we'll see how I feel later tonight and tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Nice job Dawg.
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 pm

An ode to me:

I'm becoming more convinced that I bear an uncanny resemblance to Ryan Gosling. Last time I watched drive I got creeped out because from certain angles it looked like me onscreen. Anyone else see this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Normally I want pics....

and I still do
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:54 pm

Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:40 am

I just meant my face, but yeah, once my aesthetics reach Goslingian levels there will be no stopping me from winning RUM by unanimous forfeit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:45 pm

Logan Joseph wrote:
I just meant my face, but yeah, once my aesthetics reach Goslingian levels there will be no stopping me from winning RUM by unanimous forfeit.

Jamie Lewis is hell-bent on dropping to 165 from 181. I think he hears footsteps.
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:46 pm

1/30 (S+27)

So, tested out where my bench is today. Based things off a hypothetical 1RM of 240, 5RM of 205.

145x5
155x5
170x5 @7.5
180x5 @8.5

Stopped it here because I felt like my RPE had gone over 8, and I was beginning to get out of the groove. Did a lot of experimenting with different setups and foot positions, arching, etc. The bar is pretty hard to unrack without a handoff on these racks if I do a decent arch, so that might be out of the question for most of my training.

Afterwards got some extra work in, focusing on setup and technique. With this lighter weight I was able to set up with a decent arch while still being able to unrack the weight without losing that set up, so I was able to keep these grooved in a good bar path.

135x8x5

Noticed only an hour had passed so I did a little accessory work

Face pulls 70x20x5
Wide Grip Seated Cable Row 50x20x3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:57 pm

KKeough wrote:
Logan Joseph wrote:

Jamie Lewis is hell-bent on dropping to 165 from 181. I think he hears footsteps.
I thought he only attempted that this once because he dropped a ton of weight from having walking pneumonia for a few weeks. If not...crap, back to 148 for me.

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:44 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
KKeough wrote:
Logan Joseph wrote:

I thought he only attempted that this once because he dropped a ton of weight from having walking pneumonia for a few weeks. If not...crap, back to 148 for me.

I read something about him maybe trying it again at RUM.

From powerliftingwatch: "Jamie was using the SPF meet as a warm up for RUM, where he will may attempt to shatter the world records in that class to add to his 181 lb total record."

And from him on PLwatch: "the hit on my total came from being sick, rather than the cut. i only trained three times in December. I'm not sure if I'll go 165 or 181 next month- I'm going to wait and see what my weight looks like in two weeks."

Either way, I don't think it'd be a long-term thing. He'd probably be one-and-done at 165.
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:59 pm

So I was starting to think about programming leading up to the meet, would love feedback from people. I was thinking of a 5 day split like this:

Monday Off
Tues Squat
Wed Bench
Thurs Off
Fri Squat
Sat Bench
Sun DL

Thursday off are good for me since I've got a commitment on Thursdays that would push back my workout to later in the evening which isn't ideal.

I like the DL session on the weekend because I'm going to try to make it out to B&W weekly since they actually have ROUND plates (wow) and it's a much better environment for lifting in general.

Not sure what program I want to run exactly. I know that I need lots of volume. I'd also like to allow for some overhead pressing if possible. Want to get in lots of rowing and facepulls for accessory work since those seem to have been helping all of my lifts. Maybe the 5 day split goes out the window and I wind up running Smolov for squats and Smolov Jr for bench, while deadlifting occasionally? Don't know about accessory work for squat/deadlift days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 pm

sheiko 29
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:45 pm

All Sheiko cycles concurrently.

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
sheiko 29

Not a bad idea. The progression is usually 29, then 37, then something else, and eventually CMS/MS.

http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:53 pm

2/1 (S+29)

Went in to test deadlift today. Working off percentages of a 5RM of 390, derived from hypothetical 1RM of 460. Felt pretty weak and light headed for this workout... definitely not an ideal one. 345x5 was ok, but as I was waiting to do my next set I just felt shitty and enervated.

275x5
295x5
320x5 @7
345x5 @7.5

365x1

Cut it off after 1 rep at 365 because there was no way I was getting a set of 5 in with the way I was feeling, and definitely not with an RPE below 10 let alone 8 or 9.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:12 pm

I didn't know big dog could be contained by rpe's
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babyeater
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:18 pm

I know you had to cut some work, but this still looks good. I feel confident that April will be a doable meet for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.babyeaterlifts.wordpress.com
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:11 pm

2/4 (S+32)

First real workout since the surgery today. I'm going to be doing something roughly based on the Juggernaut set/rep scheme and weekly progression, except I'll probably wind up adding extra work sets at my discretion. Also, benching comp. style twice a week and relegating OHP to the second exercise of one of those bench days. Also, probably adding some squats on top of the deadlift day. So.. basically... nothing like Juggernaut anymore.

Bench

Warmups
145x8x4
145x11 @ 8.5
145x8x3

Bent over row

135x8x5

Dips
x8x3
x7
x6

Face Pulls

70x20x5

DB Press

30x12x3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 pm

2/5 (S+33)

Was originally going to do M W F Sa split, but I felt good today so I decided to go in and squat. It all felt pretty easy at this weight.

Squat

Warmups
225x8x4
225x10 @ 9

Wanted to squat a little more after this so I messed around with pausing some reps

225x3x3 paused

Did foam roller work for about 15 minutes after this. Not sure if/when I'll incorporate accessory work into these squat days, or what I might do. Before I was doing hip thrusts, leg curls, and abduction/adduction, might go back to some of that, but spend less time on most of it. I'm open to suggestions on this front.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:14 pm

Maybe just start with whatever accessory work you think will carry over best to your squat and build off of that as you progress. Obviously, taking the number of sets down will be necessary, but you could probably get away with doing three work sets of each, or maybe doing three of the four per session and rotating which ones you do by the day.
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:11 pm

2/6 (S+34)

Bench

Warmups
145x8x4
145x12 @ 9

OHP

Warmups
105x8x5

Wide Grip Seated Cable Row

40x20
60x20x3

Superset Face pulls & Tricep Pulldowns w/ rope

70x20x3 sets each

Doing both Bench and OHP was fatiguing and cut into my time for accessory work. Did some external rotation sets with a band and a couple other prehab things before calling it a day. Can already begin to feel some discomfort in my right biceps again. Thinking maybe I'd like to get some elbow sleeves and come up with a little regiment to prevent this from becoming an issue.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:52 pm

2/8 (S+36)

Deadlift

275x8x4
275x10 @8.5

Seated GMs

95x5x20

Neutral Grip Lat Pulldowns

100x15, x15, x12, x10, x10

Tried some rear delt work with dumbbells, failed miserably.

Went to a different gym in the area in search of round plates with which to deadlift today - no luck. Pulling with these other plates is a fucking nightmare. Also the bar I was pulling with today had the weakest knurling of all time and it started unusually wide.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   

Back to top Go down

Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next