Share | 

Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:53 pm

2/8 (S+36)

Deadlift

275x8x4
275x10 @8.5

Seated GMs

95x5x20

Neutral Grip Lat Pulldowns

100x15, x15, x12, x10, x10

Tried some rear delt work with dumbbells, failed miserably.

Went to a different gym in the area in search of round plates with which to deadlift today - no luck. Pulling with these other plates is a fucking nightmare. Also the bar I was pulling with today had the weakest knurling of all time and it started unusually wide.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:19 pm

2/10 (S+38)

Today was a repeat of the first day of the Juggernaut accumulation phase, 8 rep wave. This time I did 12 reps for my final set. Probably could've grinded out a few more. I wasn't exactly flying out of the hole, since I'm still pretty fatigued from deadlifting Friday, but these sets were pretty easy.

Squat

225x8x4
225x12 @ 9

Seated hamstring curl

60x20
90x20x2

Adduction 80x3
Abduction 80x3

Crunches w/ dumbbell

50lb x20x2
40lb x20

Did a lot of stretching and rolling after this, since I was feeling pretty shot from deadlifting and then this, hoping to recover enough to handle squatting again on Tuesday with more weight (255), same rep scheme.

Last edited by Logan Joseph on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:38 pm

A message from January 2nd:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:14 pm

We're working on designs now. OP will deliver.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 pm

2/11 (S+39)

First day of intensification phase of 8 rep wave of Juggernaut.

Bench

160x8x4
160x12 @ 9.5

Couldn't really get any of these sets in any sort of groove. No real arch on any of these. Setup questionable.

135x8x3 (just trying to get in some extra work. Bicep tendon starting to bother me though.)

Iso row. 1 plate + 25 x 10 ea. x 3 sets (normally i'd do a bent over row for my "heavy" rowing," but I wanted to spare my lower back as much as possible for squatting tomorrow. I found this particular iso row machine to be awkward though. Maybe I'll get used to it, or just do some heavier seated cable work in the future if I want to skip my BoRs again. Although I think there's definitely a benefit to doing isolateral work since I'm sure I have an imbalance here which probably is why my right arm is prone to injury. I don't think it's just a strength imbalance though.. my right and left arms are just put together a little differently. Not as dramatic as my deformed right leg though. Lulz)

Facepulls 70x20x5 alternating with sets of tricep pulldowns w/ rope 70x20x2, 50x20x3

Dips x8, x7, x9

Dumbbell fly w/ 15 lbs x 12 x 5 (Just trying to get in a little direct work on my pathetically weak chest. Frankly would rather use the pec deck but they were all taken. I'm horribly
inept at DB flys)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:00 pm

2/12 (S+40)

Squat

250x8x2
250x10 @ 9

Felt pretty damn tired and worn out today so I was happy to get through these sets without too much trouble. Form felt off today for sure, though. Wanted to get some more work in after this, belt was bothering me, so I just took it off and did some lighter stuff.

185x8x3

Glute Bridges w/ 135lb barbell 10x5

Adduction 80x20x3
Abduction 90x10x3
Seated Hamstring Curl 105x20x3

Lots of streching and foam rolling afterwards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Video is set to private, Ghost Dawg.

Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:51 pm

2/13 (S+41)

I went into this workout with shitty sleep and nutrition for the last few days, so I wasn't expecting great things. No surprises.

Bench

160x8x2
160x10
160x8x2

OHP - Realized that with the benching and everything, my working max here is set too high. 105x8x5 last week was a struggle, and today I was supposed to do 115.. that wasn't happening. Had to take it easy because of fatigue and tendonitis.

95x8, 105x7, 95x8x2

Wide Grip Seated Cable Row

50x20, 60x20x2

Neutral Grip Seated Cable Row

90x15x3

Face pulls 80x15x5

Screwed around with some junky sets of pec flies on the pec deck, not even worth logging.

Avoided doing dips because they put a ton of pressure on my elbow.

Elbow sleeves are on the way, hopefully I can come up with a program of streching/rehab/icing to keep the elbow and bicep pain under control. Right now it's manageable but trending towards getting worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babyeater
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:13 pm

man, dips are just everyone's enemy except Natty. And damn, you're doing a lot of work! Kill it. I haven't said kill it in a while. I like that phrase.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.babyeaterlifts.wordpress.com
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:45 pm

babyeater wrote:
man, dips are just everyone's enemy except Natty. And damn, you're doing a lot of work! Kill it. I haven't said kill it in a while. I like that phrase.
You merely adopted dips; I was born with them, moulded by them. I didn't see a bench press until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but GPP!

Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:00 am

2/15 (S+43)

Deadlifted yesterday. Made a trek out into the suburbs to find a gym with round fucking plates. I tried some free video editing software on my phone to combine these clips together and it turned out making the video kind of weird and jumpy and parts. Also I think there's an extended freezeframe of my face after the first set.. just skip a head a little if you care to see the second.

305x8x2
305x10 @ 8.5

Seated GMs

95x20x5

Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns

80x20x2, x15, x12x2

Five sets of delt flies with some 10lb dumbbells. lulz.

I'd like to come up with some accessory work that feels more worthwhile for my deadlift days. I really like the seated GMs, since I feel like I desperately need a stronger back and spinal erectors in particular. Same for the pulldowns or any type of rowing. But I'm thinking I could be doing more here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Is your video all messed up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:05 pm

That's not a jump-cut; that's his bar-speed. Blink and you'll miss it.
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:19 pm

2/16 (S+44)

Squat

250x8x3

185x8x3 (beltless)

Glute Bridges

135x10x5

Hamstring Curl (seated)

120x15x3

Adduction 90x20x3

Abduction 100x20x3

Stretching and Foam Rolling
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:57 pm

2/18 (S+46)

Today was "bench realization day" for the 8 rep wave of Juggernaut, which had me doing 180 for AMRAP.

Wound up doing 180x11 (minimum goal was 8), which i was pretty happy with that considering that 160x8 was feeling not so easy last week. Probably could've grinded out a 12th rep. Afterwards I did some more work on the bench: 180x5x3, then worked on staying in the grove with 135x8x2. I'mI trying to get back into a consistent technique on the bench. Sometimes I'm flaring badly, sometimes I'm overtucking, occasionally I'm actually in the grove. I'd love to be able to get a good arch but without a handoff it's impossible with these benches since the pins are fixed height and set too high. I willl bench 180 again on Wednesday, will probably just stick to 3 sets of 8 since I'll have to follow it up with OHP.

Couldn't find a bar to do bent over rows, so I wound up doing:

DB Rows 55x12x3

Seated Cable Row 100x10x3 (I'd have trouble describing the type of attachment i was using here... it was U-shaped, pretty narrow, and had my palms facing inward. I liked it, allowed for good range of motion and lat involvement)

Face pulls 80x20x2, 80x15x3

Dips x16, x10, x7

Tricep Pulldowns w/ Rope 50x20x3

Used the Mueller sleeves today for the first time benching, and it felt pretty good. Ate a bunch of ice cream and cake to backload. U mad?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Oh by the way, anyone have suggestions for stuff to strengthen spinal erectors? I do seated GMs every time I deadlift, but I'd like to add some more work in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:39 pm

I started doing a seated goodmorning variation with bands horizontally loaded from the front, and it really helps improve spinal erector activation. If you've got some long minis, it's an option.

If not, any hip-hinge in which you're rounding and unrounding your spine will do the trick. Obviously, there's a certain intensity range in which you should be working before this becomes idiotically dangerous, but as long as you're not maxing out on it...

So, back extensions, 45* extensions, seated goodmornings, and rounded-back deadlifts are a few options (Chuck Vogelpohl [aka the Logan Joseph of Westside] did a couple of videos recently on bad-position deadlifting which are sort of helpful).
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:42 pm

Also: I eat two pints of Arctic Zero ice cream per day. It's delicious as far as ice cream can be when it's 150 calories per pint.
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:44 pm

2/19 (S+47)

Today was squat "realization day," working up to an AMRAP set of 275. Minimum mark was 8. As it turned out, 8 was pretty much my limit. I didn't feel great squatting, but glad I got the reps. The first set I did was really ugly, so I decided to do a second and it turned out looking better, but I still broke down during the later reps. So, clearly, 275 for 8 is right around my limit right now. Which means that the maxes I estimated and have been working with are accurate.. so that's good. I wasn't overjoyed with how this went, but all things considered, I should be pretty happy with how things are going since the surgery. I will probably squat 275 for reps again on Saturday and see how it goes.

Here's the video of the two sets... the first set has a bunch of video stutters.. I have no idea why, but the second set (@ 1:34) plays smoother.

275x8x2:

After this I wanted to get in some more work so I did 225x5x3 without a belt. I've really been enjoying getting in these extra sets after my max effort work. It feels good to squat lighter, without a belt, focusing on technique.

Afterwards I was feeling pretty fried and my butt hurt (lulz) so I did minimal accessory work:

Back extensions (body weight) 15x3
Decline Sit-ups 15x3
Seated Hamstring Curls 105x15x3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:16 pm

2/20 (S+48)

Bench

180x8x3

OHP - Last week I felt like I would really have to readjust my numbers on this, but I was feeling good warming up, so I decided to give 125xAMAP a try, shooting for at least 8. I only wound up getting 7, but I'm pretty happy with that. Afterwards I dropped the weight down and got some more work in. Not sure how valuable overhead pressing is for me actually in terms of carryover to my competition lifts, but I like doing it.

125x7 (failed 8th)
110x8x2
95x8x2

Floor Press - was going to go back to do some more comp. benching on the flat bench at a lighter weight just to get some more work in but decided to spare my lumbar the setup and just do this. Also like floor pressing because I can focus on the position of my elbows and keeping them tucked evenly. Paused each rep at the bottom.

135x5x3

Seated Cable Row (wide grip w/ handles) 80x15x3

(I'm always wanting to do bent over rows, but always find myself with a fatigued lower back, thinking about the squatting or deadlifting I'm going to be doing in the near future.)

Face Pulls

100x12x3

Afterwards did some lacrosse ball work. I think I've said this before but I'd like to develop a more systematic warm-up and prehab/rehab routine for my biceps/shoulder and for general recovery. Some combo of stretching/soft tissue work/therapy bands/maintenance work/whatever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 am

2/22 (S+50)

Deadlifts. last day of this 8 rep crap.

335x10, 335x8x2

Cut out the middle set of 8 because something got screwed up with the video. These look pretty horrible. I can't get into position properly. Not sure exactly where to go with the deadlifting, it feels all wrong though.

Seated GMs

105x20x5

Lat Pulldowns (close grip, palms up) 80x15x3
(grip as wide as possible, palms down) 80x10x3

Rear delt fly with 8lb dumbbells (lulz) 10x5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:13 pm

2/23 (S+51)

Squats

275x5x3
225x5x3 (beltless)

Glute Bridges

135x15x3

Seated Hamstring Curl

135x15x3

Decline Sit-ups 15x3

Steching and Foam rolling
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babyeater
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Hmm, on the pulls, I'd like to see a focus on leading with your chest more as you work through the midpoint of each rep. I feel like your shoulders really start to cave and that's going to put you at a disadvantage in terms of keeping your weight further back. I know it's difficult when you're breaking down from fatigue, but "chest up" may be a cue you could apply to this lift when it starts to feel rough. Puff the chest out like some crazy rooster or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:06 pm

Yeah, Janis, I think that's right on. I think I am relying on the leverage created by rounding my back to compensate for weaknesses that become pronounced as sets progress... speed off the floor, pushing my hips through starting at the midpoint, etc. Trying to keep my back, particularly lumbar region from rounding, keeping my lats retracted and chest up (also on squats) is part of the reason why I do so much rowing and why I do some spinal erector work and should be doing more. Generally speaking my core is probably pretty weak. It might be that all of these things could be corrected naturally just by stricter deadlifting and that the accessory work is sort of a red herring, or, on the other hand, I could benefit from really hammering core and back exercises. Anyway, cheers for the input.

2/25 (S+53)

Bench

165x5x4
165x12
165x5x5 (paused)

Iso row machine

2pps x 15, 15, 10, 10, 10

Dips

x17, x10, x8

Face Pulls

90x20, x15, x15, x12, x12

DB Bench

45x12x3

Close grip incline bench

95x8x3

Stretching

Back to top Go down
View user profile
babyeater
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Yep, Kyle and I were actually talking about this more today and I have some of the same issues that you're working to correct. I'm finding that kicking my ass to find ways to stay upright in the hole in the squat seems to be helping, if very slightly, with keeping my back in a more neutral place during pulling. I have a theory that my glutes suck and I really need to get them firing more to help head off some of the rounding issues I may have while pulling, and it's something I'm going to pursue as much as possible by getting a lot of glute-centric work in (hip thrusts, back extensions, bodyweight kneeling leg raises, single-leg bodyweight glute bridges, girly stuff like that). As Kyle has written before, it can be hard to troubleshoot where a weakness lies in a sticking point in a lift in terms of muscle strength deficiency. Which muscles are the culprit in that weak point sometimes aren't incredibly obvious. Te suck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   

Back to top Go down

Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next