Share | 

Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Soooo I am curious about people's opinions on the program i'm doing now. The set and rep schemes of the main lifts are just straight from Juggernaut Method, but I'm not doing any of the other stuff that he recommends in the program. Right now I'm in the middle of the 8 rep wave. No real idea if I'm making gainz or not since I'm totally unused to doing this sort of higher rep work for the main lifts (outside of having done smolov). Each competition lift has its own day, plus a day for overhead pressing. I'm training every other day, and thinking of adding an extra workout to address things that are particularly crappy. Right now this is what I do:

Squat
Glute Bridges
Hamstring Curl (no GHR available)
Adduction/Abduction

OHP
(thinking of adding floor pressing here)
Horizonal Rowing (usually bent over rows)
dips
face pulls

Deadlift
Seated GM
pull downs
rear delt fly

Bench
horizontal rowing
dips
facepulls

The training has gone alright, I guess, but like I said it's all hard to gauge because of the higher volume. (I guess I will have a clearer idea of where I am when I move into the lower rep/higher intensity waves.) I have a lot of trouble maintaining strict form squatting and deadlifting because of the length of sets and because I'm weak. Particularly I've noticed my old tendency to round my back both on the deadlift and when I get tired squatting (I just GM the weight up). I've had significant lower back discomfort/pain on off days that doesn't seem to be just muscular soreness, and I think this goes back to an injury I picked up deadlifting a few months ago, which is what led to my recent layoff in the first place. I don't really know what to do about this - alter my training, take time off, do more recovery work, see a doctor, all of the above? I'm starting to have my thoughts consumed by fear of the prospect of chronic lower back pain in the future. Shocked

Anyway... input is appreciated.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:40 pm

cant believe this has gone nearly 8 minutes w/o a reply.. u people are fuckin useless
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:48 pm

What are the things you're not doing that Chad Smith recommends? Obviously he's a smart guy when it comes to PL and his program will work if you put in the effort.

In regards to the form breaking down and pain, try to see where you're breaking down and then address that weakness. Go lighter on your sets if you have to. Getting another injury just isn't worth it, especially the way you tend to extend your lumbar when you squat.

Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Goddamnit, Ghost Dawg. Reply back to me NOW!

KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:56 pm

needs more bench

pls respond
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Here's what I did today-

Sunday 12/16

Bench 170x8x2, 170x10
Floor press wide grip 135x8x2, 135x6, 95x16
Seated cable row 90x20x2, 90x15x3
Face pulls 80x20x2, 70x20x3
Dips x12, x10, x9, x6, x6
Pec fly 45x20x2, 60x15

Nate - the parts I'm not doing are the conditioning/ballistics stuff, since I don't have the space or the equipment to do med ball throws or box jumps or sled drags. I am sure I could improvise some of that stuff, or at least do some hill sprints or something, but I'm not sure if any of it would be worth it or actually translate to gainz. What's your stance on that stuff?

I think I'll bite the bullet and actually film some of my next workout so that I can see exactly what's going on with the form breakdown.

Kevin - yes, more bench. What would you suggest exactly? I was thinking of adding floor pressing to the bench day and some other heavy pressing (incline bench?) to the OHP day?

PLZ RESPOND URGENT afro afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:48 pm

omg still no response. wtf am i even paying for????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:49 pm

I think you should probably just run this until it is scheduled to end, test some prs, then think about it.

Based on how well you were responding to volume/frequency in the spring/summer I'd say that you should try to comp bench at least 2x a week as long as you can stay healthy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:05 pm

Tuesday 12/18

Squat warmups, 280x8
Front squat 135x3, x5x2
barbell glute bridges 135x15x5
hamstring curls 90x12x5
adduction 90x20x5
abduction 100x20x5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Here's some video.. sorry for the quality/orientation, i'm new to this whole videography thing. As you can see, form breaks down especially during the second half of the set.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:37 pm

ha ok well somebody is going to have to teach the Dawg how to embed video on this bitch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Logan Joseph wrote:

Nate - the parts I'm not doing are the conditioning/ballistics stuff, since I don't have the space or the equipment to do med ball throws or box jumps or sled drags. I am sure I could improvise some of that stuff, or at least do some hill sprints or something, but I'm not sure if any of it would be worth it or actually translate to gainz. What's your stance on that stuff?

I think I'll bite the bullet and actually film some of my next workout so that I can see exactly what's going on with the form breakdown.

Kevin - yes, more bench. What would you suggest exactly? I was thinking of adding floor pressing to the bench day and some other heavy pressing (incline bench?) to the OHP day?

PLZ RESPOND URGENT afro afro
Of those things, sled drags would probably be the most beneficial, but if you don't have access to that, it's not a big deal.

What Kevin said about competition bench too.

Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Logan Joseph wrote:
ha ok well somebody is going to have to teach the Dawg how to embed video on this bitch
Quote the post I edited to see the format.

Edit 1: Oh god, please edit out the one minute of getting ready to squat in future vids.

Edit 2: ^the same for Gangnam Style playing in the background too

Edit 3: Your squats definitely get cut a little higher and you lean forward more (and your hips subsequently rise faster than your chest) towards the end of the set. I think that's when you run into problems with the bar rolling up your neck, but this does look a lot better than your squatting in the past.

Last edited by Nathan Poage on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lemonparty.com
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:30 pm

I'm assuming the stare at the end of the vid is intended for your next victim?

Last edited by Seth on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 am

I like how your fifth rep is unusually fast. Classic Big Dawg.

Technique doesn't look awful; there's some breakdown, but it's an eight-rep set, and you're you. Looks like you're back to a more traditional low-bar style now--how's that feel? I like the hat and that stupid-ass shirt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:25 am

But the technique looks solid. Chest is dropping (as usual) towards the end of the set, but that's normal with you, and it's just something you have to work out by being conscious of it while squatting. It's going to happen, and continue to happen, for as long as you perform higher-exertion sets that have you fatiguing.
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:08 am

Thanks for the feedback bros. Yeah, I had the video queued up to start with the actual squats, but I guess the embedding code screwed that up. What software do you guys use to cut down your video?

Glad to hear that my technique looks ok. That set was supposed to be AMAP, 8 was the minimum, and I probably could've grinded out a couple more really ugly ones, but I am going to take a more conservative route on that sort of thing to avoid aggravating this back injury. Jung Dawg: that looked like traditional low bar? Really? That's weird.. I feel like it's impossible for me to sit back. I just tried to push my knees out as far as possible on these, which is something I had been neglecting to do before. Are you saying it's low bar because I sit down in between my legs like that, rather than fold up? I definitely don't feel like I'm sitting back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:12 am

Also thx for the formatting help Med. Dawg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:19 am

Seth wrote:
I'm assuming the stare at the end of the vid is intended for your next victim?

you got that right. watch ur back
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:56 pm

Wednesday 12/19
OHP 125x12, x8, x6
BOR 135X12X5
DIPS 10X2, 8, 8, 6
FACEPULL 80X20, 90X20X4

Saturday 2/22
DEADLIFT 325X11
SEATED GMS 95X20, 135X20X4
WIDE GRIP LAT PULLDOWNS 90X20X5
REAR DELT FLY 45X20X2, 30X20X3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:04 pm

I like the caps. It makes it more intimidating.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
I like the caps. It makes it more intimidating.

Just trying to simulate the high volume with which I always speak.

Monday 12/24
Bench realization 185x10, x5, x5, wide grip 135x12, x10
Chest supported rows 45x15x5
Dips x15, x10, x7, x5, x5
Face pulls 90x20x2, 80x20x2, 70x20

This went alright, got 2 reps over the minimum projection. Also had three reps over the minimum DL projection and 4 over the OHP from this wave. Starting 5 rep wave today, thank god. Will try to film some of the squats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:03 pm

HE'S MUMBLING.
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Wednesday 12/26

Squat 245x5x4, 245x12
Barbell glute bridges 135x20x5
Hamstring curls 90x20x2, 105x20x3
Adduction 90x20x2, 120x20x3
Abduction 100x20x5

Videos forthcoming
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Logan Joseph wrote:

Wednesday 12/26

Squat 245x5x4, 245x12
Barbell glute bridges 135x20x5
Hamstring curls 90x20x2, 105x20x3
Adduction 90x20x2, 120x20x3
Abduction 100x20x5

Videos forthcoming

Mirin 245x12. How are the glute bridges going? Looks like you're making good progress.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log   

Back to top Go down

Curlin' in the squat rack: Logan's log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next