Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Zack Chaib's Training Log

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
zchaib
Class II
Class II


Posts : 156
Join date : 2013-02-12
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:52 am

I was skeptical at first, but now I agree. Ill see how it goes later this week when I deadlift with heavier weights.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
avatar

Posts : 3023
Join date : 2011-11-02
Age : 24
Location : The City of Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:45 pm

KKeough wrote:
Hook grip is the least natty of all the grips.

fixed

_________________
i lift things up and put them down

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
avatar

Posts : 3174
Join date : 2011-10-30
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
KKeough wrote:
Hook grip is the least natty of all the grips.

fixed

I know--I'm just trying to spread misinformation before the USC powerlifting team tries to challenge us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
avatar

Posts : 3023
Join date : 2011-11-02
Age : 24
Location : The City of Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:24 pm

USC? Didn't Illinois challenge us a while back?

_________________
i lift things up and put them down

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
avatar

Posts : 3174
Join date : 2011-10-30
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
USC? Didn't Illinois challenge us a while back?

Illinois can't fuck with us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
avatar

Posts : 3023
Join date : 2011-11-02
Age : 24
Location : The City of Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:26 pm

They can probably outbench us, though.

_________________
i lift things up and put them down

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
avatar

Posts : 985
Join date : 2013-02-12
Age : 25
Location : Des Moines, IA

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
They can probably outbench us, though.
 Dont worry, we got squat and deadlift covered

_________________
Another 45 please...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zchaib
Class II
Class II


Posts : 156
Join date : 2013-02-12
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Broceidon wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:
They can probably outbench us, though.
 Dont worry, we got squat and deadlift covered
For now bruh, for now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
avatar

Posts : 3174
Join date : 2011-10-30
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:17 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
They can probably outbench us, though.

A bench-press revolution is taking place. The Babyeater can bench a little now, and even Poage is benching more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
avatar

Posts : 2446
Join date : 2011-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:39 am

KKeough wrote:

Illinois can't fuck with us.
I sent them a message last year by curling in their squat rack

They do have a forza bench tho
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
avatar

Posts : 3174
Join date : 2011-10-30
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:23 am

KevinAlvy wrote:
KKeough wrote:

Illinois can't fuck with us.

They do have a forza bench tho

Motherfuckers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
zchaib
Class II
Class II


Posts : 156
Join date : 2013-02-12
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:38 am

6/26

OHP, w/ chins
65,80,95x5
115x3
130x3
145x7

Bench
145x10x5

Pendlay row
155x10x5

Barbell curls
75x12x3

Tricep extensions
?x12x3

Face pulls - lots

notes - Im switching the reps on the main lifts for weeks 1 and 2, so the first week will be x3, and second week will be x5 on the main lifts instead of the other way around.

Foam rolled entire body for about a half hour after this, I was just wasting time until traffic died down so I could drive home. It was quite fun.

Im deadlifting later today during my lunch break, so I will update this again when I get home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
avatar

Posts : 378
Join date : 2013-06-25
Age : 26
Location : Iowa City

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:06 pm

zchaib wrote:


notes - Im switching the reps on the main lifts for weeks 1 and 2, so the first week will be x3, and second week will be x5 on the main lifts instead of the other way around.


Swapping reps but leaving % the same (if I am readying this right)? So you'll be training week 1 3x65/75/85%? And on week 2 5x70/80/90%? The volume difference is pretty substantial. Just an idea but what about training something like heavy singles on week 1 up to 90-95% (after your 5s)? I'm not sure how many days per week you train or what your recovery is usually like, this would really beef up the program. If adding more work on the top end is your goal this would be a nice way to accommodate that.

_________________
"It's gonna be a badass training day, I'm super pumped. Attitude Nation, we're gonna slam bars, drink coffee" -Jon North
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seth
Class I
Class I


Posts : 752
Join date : 2012-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Allprocro wrote:
zchaib wrote:


notes - Im switching the reps on the main lifts for weeks 1 and 2, so the first week will be x3, and second week will be x5 on the main lifts instead of the other way around.


Swapping reps but leaving % the same (if I am readying this right)? So you'll be training week 1 3x65/75/85%? And on week 2 5x70/80/90%? The volume difference is pretty substantial. Just an idea but what about training something like heavy singles on week 1 up to 90-95%? I'm not sure how many days per week you train or what your recovery is usually like, this would really beef up the program. If adding more work on the top end is your goal this would be a nice way to accommodate that.

If I'm remembering right he could be swapping the 3's and 5's week altogether, keeping the percentages the same according to their number of reps. In other words do 3x70, 80, and 90% in week one and 5x65, 75, and 85% in week two. This is pretty much the idea of 5/3/1 for powerlifting that Wendler wrote about. Adding heavy singles in to the 3's and 5/3/1 week is something Wendler also talks about as well, so it is a valid option. I believe he says that the idea of the swap of the 3's and 5's weeks is so that there is not two heavy weeks in a row.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
avatar

Posts : 378
Join date : 2013-06-25
Age : 26
Location : Iowa City

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Seth wrote:

If I'm remembering right he could be swapping the 3's and 5's week altogether, keeping the percentages the same according to their number of reps. In other words do 3x70, 80, and 90% in week one and 5x65, 75, and 85% in week two. This is pretty much the idea of 5/3/1 for powerlifting that Wendler wrote about. Adding heavy singles in to the 3's and 5/3/1 week is something Wendler also talks about as well, so it is a valid option. I believe he says that the idea of the swap of the 3's and 5's weeks is so that there is not two heavy weeks in a row.

I see. That sounds better. 5x90%, I was wondering about that. This probably makes deloading between cycles a must?

_________________
"It's gonna be a badass training day, I'm super pumped. Attitude Nation, we're gonna slam bars, drink coffee" -Jon North
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seth
Class I
Class I


Posts : 752
Join date : 2012-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:35 pm

I know Wendler really encourages it, but it probably just depends on the person. I know he talks about how to program it in the 5/3/1 for powerlifting book. The flipping of the 5's and 3's week and addition of the singles is mostly for prepping for meets, I believe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zchaib
Class II
Class II


Posts : 156
Join date : 2013-02-12
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:38 pm

Seth wrote:
I know Wendler really encourages it, but it probably just depends on the person. I know he talks about how to program it in the 5/3/1 for powerlifting book. The flipping of the 5's and 3's week and addition of the singles is mostly for prepping for meets, I believe.

This is true - however I wont be adding singles. I am just swapping the two weeks (reps and percentages), I should have been more clear on that before. I just feel more comfortable doing it that way. Plus I dont have much time to add in singles after the main lifts - I work out on my lunch break at work and I am pretty limited on time. Ill have more time to lift once school starts though.

Speaking of prepping for meets, I think I am going to being competing in a uspa meet in september. Its going to be relatively close to my house, so why not. I not 100% sure yet though, but Id really like to.


Last edited by zchaib on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zchaib
Class II
Class II


Posts : 156
Join date : 2013-02-12
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:44 pm

3/27

Deadlift
160, 200, 240x5
275x3
315x3
355x7

Squat
165x10x5

Everything went pretty well today, besides deadlifting on carpet. No bueno. Squats were light, but I was able to keep good form throughout all the sets unlike the first time I tried this program. After that I just foam rolled for about 15 minutes, then had to get back to work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seth
Class I
Class I


Posts : 752
Join date : 2012-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:46 pm

zchaib wrote:
Seth wrote:
I know Wendler really encourages it, but it probably just depends on the person. I know he talks about how to program it in the 5/3/1 for powerlifting book. The flipping of the 5's and 3's week and addition of the singles is mostly for prepping for meets, I believe.

This is true - however I wont be adding singles. I am just swapping the two weeks (reps and percentages), I should have been more clear on that before. I just feel more comfortable doing it that way. Plus I dont have much time to add in singles after the main lifts - I work out on my lunch break at work and I am pretty limited on time. Ill have more time to lift once school starts though.

Speaking of prepping for meets, I think I am going to being competing in a uspa meet in september. Its going to be relatively close to my house, so why not. I not 100% sure yet though, but Id really like to.

Good stuff man ya should. It would probably give you a good opportunity to meet other powerlifters in your area as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
avatar

Posts : 3174
Join date : 2011-10-30
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:48 pm

zchaib wrote:



Speaking of prepping for meets, I think I am going to being competing in a uspa meet in september. Its going to be relatively close to my house, so why not. I not 100% sure yet though, but Id really like to.

Great idea. Definitely get some more competition experience in. Competing too frequently can disrupt training, but you can handle 3-4 meets a year and still progress just fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
zchaib
Class II
Class II


Posts : 156
Join date : 2013-02-12
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:28 pm

I've been quite busy, but this is what I have done the past few days:

6/29
Bench w/ sets of chins in between
100, 125, 150x5
175x3
200x3
225x3x2

OHP
85x10x5

Lat pulldowns
?x10x5

Rear delt flys
15x15x3

Ran out of time - this seems to happen too often.

6/30
Squat
135,165,195x5
225x3
260x3
290x3x2

Deadlift
215x10x5

Hanging leg raises
15x4

So instead of pushing the extra reps on the last set, I started just throwing in another set only if I felt really good. I have no reasoning behind this, but I'm just curious to see how that works for me rather than going all out.

7/3 - W2
OHP, with sets of chins
65,80,95x5
105x5
120x5
140x5

Bench
135x10x5
This was the first time I paused all 5 of those sets, I liked it. I will probably just continue pausing anytime I bench - helps me keep my form in check as well.

Pendlay row
155x10x5

Barbell curls
75x10x3

French press
75x10x3

Rear delt flys
15x15x3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zchaib
Class II
Class II


Posts : 156
Join date : 2013-02-12
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:00 pm

7/4

Deadlift
160, 200, 240x5
255, 295, 335x5

Squats
165x10x5

Yesterday was no bueno. I lifted in a fasted state, and I was just completely exhausted the whole time. I just need to get used to it again, I totally forgot Ramadan was beginning on monday..soo yaaaay. Hopefully the next month wont hurt my recovery - eating 3500-4000 calories in a few hours is just really hard. But Ill figure it out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
avatar

Posts : 3174
Join date : 2011-10-30
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:41 pm

Diet got you down? I know that feel, brah.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
zchaib
Class II
Class II


Posts : 156
Join date : 2013-02-12
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:22 am

KKeough wrote:
Diet got you down? I know that feel, brah.

Unfortunately, yes. I'll get used to the fasting though. I just don't do so well doing heavy lifting without having eaten. I wish there was time to lift late at night, but going to the gym at midnight wouldn't work too well with work in the morning. Oh well, it's only the next four weeks.

7/6
Bench, w/ chins
100, 125, 150x5
165, 190, 215x5

OHP
95x10x5

Lat pulldowns
143x10x5

Tricep extensions
50x10x3

Reverse curls
75x10x3

face pulls with bands - many

I was pretty distracted today, I was lifting while UFC 162 was on and my mind was all over the place. But it was a good day nonetheless. I benched with long pauses though today, I just noticed I need to work on keeping tight throughout the lift, and I felt like that has been helping. I also may go back to benching with heels up - I get a lot more leg drive that way, plus Im pretty sure USPAL doesnt require heels to be on the ground when benching, so Im pretty happy about that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zchaib
Class II
Class II


Posts : 156
Join date : 2013-02-12
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:05 pm

7/7

Squat
135, 165, 195x5
210, 245 x5
275x5x2

Deadlift
215x10x5

Deadlifts were very very explosive today, I liked it. Im also really loving using a hook grip, it grew on me. I may never go back to alternate, but who knows. Starting to get used to the fasting and Im feeling pretty damn good. Squats were pretty light, so I threw and extra set of 5 with 275. After this I just foam rolled for about a half hour then went home. Solid day I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Zack Chaib's Training Log   

Back to top Go down
 
Zack Chaib's Training Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Zack Chaib's Training Log
» Re: Training/Seminars on the Revised IRR of 9184
» List of GPPB accredited training institutions
» Schedule of Training for BAC Members on IRR 9184
» IMPROVEMENT OF THE FARMERS TRAINING CENTER

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: