Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Grant Voshell's Log

Go down 
+12
David Petersen
apdirienzo
Chris Anderson
babyeater
agleckler
KevinAlvy
Keosawa
Seth
Logan Joseph
Nathan Poage
zchaib
Quadfather
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 8:12 pm

KKeough wrote:

With his shitty little arms, he doesn't need to grip it too wide to get the bar up on his hips at lockout. I think he's just fine.

EDIT: Also, too much time between reps; didn't count.

clusters, brah
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 6:14 pm

August 16, 2013

Squat: warm-ups, 6x 350 (80% belted and knee sleeves)

Wide Stance Good Mornings: 8x 135, 155, 175

BB Lunges: 3x8 Bar

Olympic Squats: 50x 135 (no re-rack)

Fairly pleased with this workout today. I spent a decent amount of time with squat warm ups doing minimal weight. This really saves quite a bit of energy and definitely loosens me up. The squat set (6x350) might be a rep PR but I am not entirely certain. If it is not then it is pretty close. The set only required 6 reps but I definitely think I had 7 and possibly 8. The set of 50 oly squats was much much better this time. I cruised through it in about half the time compared to last time.

With the second wave of the cube finished, I am pretty stoked about this final wave. I definitely feel stronger even though I have not actually proved it with weight. I am much more stable with heavier weight and my weakest points such as my triceps and mid back are noticeably stronger. At the mock meet, my go for gold lifts would be 450-300-500. I will be satisfied if I can beat my "current" PRs of 435-280-480
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 1:57 pm

August 18, 2013

Military Press: 8x 85, 105, 125, 135

Bicep Curl EZ Bar: 3x12 75

Calf Raises: 15x 180, 180, 225

Prone Leg Curls: 2x75  BW

Lat Pull Down: 20x 70, 90, 90

Skull Crushers : 3x10 75

Today was "Body Building" day for the cube and there really is not much to say about it. I normally do not do this day but I wanted to go in, get some work in, and say some goodbyes because I will not see a few people before I leave on Wednesday. Tomorrow, Monday, will be my last session at 22nd St and I am leaving it the same way I came in: deadlift day.

Overall, I was pleased with this place and everything it has to offer. Not only does it offer the physical things such as chains, loads of plates, power/squat/deadlift bars, and boards but it also offers a great atmosphere that wreaks of heavy sh** being lifted by knowledgeable lifters. If anyone is within the Des Moines area and needs a place to lift, I highly recommend this place. I am hoping to find a job in Des Moines after I graduate in December so that I may continue to lift here and continue to become stronger. Anyways, I will see the U of IOWA P'Ling team in the gym Wednesday evening. See you all soon.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 8:27 pm

August 19, 2013

Foam Rolling + Band work

1" Deficit Deadlift: warm up, 2x410, 1x410

4" Block Pull: 2x3 385

Olympic Squat: 3x8 225

Band Leg Curls: 3x10, x4 (cramped in hams => emergency stop button)

Before watching the video, I have a couple of things that should be known. First, I noticed the bar was fatter than normal and it was not until my last warm up that the bar was actually a bench bar and would not bend at all thus taking away some whip. In addition to this, the bar was about 4" shorter than the deadlift bar so I could not spread my feet to open my hips.

Second, standing on the bumper plate causes me to be slightly off balance because of the ridges in the plate and my heels are just slightly higher than the ball of my foot. It is not noticeable during lighter sets but when heavier weight is pulled, it begins to make a little difference. As a sumo puller (sorry anderson), I need all of the balance I can get.

Between deficit pulls and block pulls, I deloaded the bench bar and found the deadlift bar. HOLY S*** this made a world of difference.

Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 8:58 pm

You don't need balance as a sumo puller. You can fall on your face a couple of times and then you will quit pulling sumo and be better off.

It's science.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 9:02 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
You don't need balance as a sumo puller. You can fall on your face a couple of times and then you will quit pulling sumo and be better off.

It's science.
I have fallen on my butt once or twice and have had many close calls. Have dat drive true dem heels
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 12:30 pm

August 21, 2013

Floor Press: 1x 250, 260, 265

Flat Bench: 2x15 165

Lat Pull Down: 12x 70, 90, 110

Tricep Pressdown: 4x25 22.5

DB Shrug: 3x15 65

Military Press: 12x 65, 85, 95

I was pleased with this last heavy bench session. The 265-Floor Press was 95% of my flat bench and I blasted through it with minimal grinding. The 15-rep flat bench sets are improving quite drastically. The first wave I could barely finish this set. I weighed in for the first time in a 6 weeks and I was at a weight of 184 with an empty stomach.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 11:50 am

What is up everybody... happy HUMP DAAAYY!!

To be short, the internet at our place is malfunctioning at the moment. So I will post my last couple of workout videos. Training has been pretty decent. If anyone is wondering what my sets are, I am currently on the 8th week of the cube just a heads up.

Squat: 5x2
Olympic Squat ATG: 5x5
Leg Press: 4x15
Accessory Work

Accessory Day: Military Press, EZ Bar Curls, SLDL, Bench

Deadlift: 5x2
4" Block Pulls Snatch Grip: 3x12
Narrow Squat: 3x8
Accessory Work

Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 11:33 am

August 29, 2013

Incline Bench: 2x1 235

Incline DB Press: 20x 30, 40

Narrow Grip Bench: 12x 135, 155, 175

Incline DB Fly: 3x12 35

Cable Pressdown: 1x100 12.5

Military Press: 12x 95, 95, 105, 105

I walked into this workout feeling pretty slow and sluggish and it sort of showed. To make matters worse, I accidentally took the percentage of my flat bench and used it for incline bench. Lesson learned: take the percentage for that particular movement.

First: I am squatting 415 for a single on Friday and while this is technically a +10lb PR attempt, my projected max is 430-435 because I did 2x405 about 2 months ago. I would like to hit this 415 for a double, if not a triple. If I do a double, then that puts me around 440-445 whereas a triple puts me around 452-460. This will be my first time squatting 400+ in about 2 months so this is making me a little nervous/anxious. If I can get a spotter or two I will definitely appreciate it.

Second: As this cube cycle is wrapping up, I am starting to write/program next cycles exercises. I will be swapping out a couple of exercises (mostly for bench) but overall, I am keeping everything the same. My triceps have definitely shown a significant increase in strength and size to the point that now my chest is now starting to lag behind a bit. I spoke with keosawa about variants such as DB press or invisible board presses to focus on explosion from the chest. So my question for you guys is do you know of other chest strengthening exercises besides the bench press?
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Pause everything. Bench more. Press more. Incline more.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Ditto on pausing everything, and on benching more. I would add that you should examine where you're failing and use exercises that will address that weakness. Dumbbell presses are a good option because your elbow position at bottom will be "worse" (leverage-wise) than it will with a flat bench press. Consider also benching without an arch--and even with your feet up--as a variation. Again, pause everything. If you're struggling off your chest, pause everything and increase range of motion on all the secondary movements you perform. Keep doing some competition-style bench pressing, but expose your weakness in everything else you do.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 9:09 pm

September 1, 2013

Military Press: 8x 95, 115, 135

Klokov Press: 8x 135

EZ Bar Curls: 12x 75, 80, 80

JM Press: 4x10 75

Paused Comp Bench w/ Invisible 1 Board: 5x185 (wide, wide, normal, narrow)

Reverse Grip EZ Bar Curls: 3x10 55

Facepulls

Just kind of went in and bounced around today. Military pressing went surprisingly well. The set of 135 felt easier than normal. I was messing around with various bench grips and my wide grip was considerably harder and slower than my normal and narrow grip. With this in mind, I found the raw bench routine for the cube and it incorporates a lot more comp benching and variants on bench day. I would still like to do incline and floor press regularly so i will try to incorporate those after the main set.

Tomorrow is my last heavy deadlift day on the cube. My work sets are supposed to be 1x 430, 445, 455 but I think I will follow something similar to my Friday squat session in the sense that I will work up to 455 for an AMRAP. I want to make this small change simply so that I can get a rough idea of the weight I should max test. Reasonably, 2x455 should be tough and a PR perhaps so if I can get that then it will be satisfactory.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 12:06 pm

Here is the squat video from last Friday:

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 12:31 pm

450+ is probably an attainable number for you right now. 450+280+475=1205, so I think 1200+ as a baseline goal for November might not be a bad idea. Obviously, you could total higher than this if the meet goes well.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Broceidon wrote:

Thanks guys, pretty pumped. 415x4 on the side spot is a huge PR for me.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Allprocro wrote:
Broceidon wrote:

Thanks guys, pretty pumped. 415x4 on the side spot is a huge PR for me.
I side-spotted a few 700-800 lb. squats at Westside Barbell before they realized how dumb that was and kicked me out to go scrape the chalk off the deadlift bar. I'm pretty sure that's my current side-spot PR.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 12:23 pm

September 2, 2013

Sumo Deadlift: warm-up, 2x455 (failed 3rd)

Snatch Grip DL: 2x8 275

Clean and Full: 2x5 135

I went in to do an AMRAP of 455 (95%) and came out with my minimum goal. Warm ups went pretty well; the speed was fast and the reps were explosive. However, during the whole warm up process, it felt as if something was missing/not right. My best attempt to describe it is the aware/alert/powerful feeling when pulling. Nonetheless, 2x455 is a rep PR and should put me in a decent position to beat my current PR of 475.

After this workout, I went home to start writing my next cycle of the cube. Squat will be staying the same because what I have been doing is obviously working. I wrote up a completely different bench schedule that has me doing a lot more actual benching (every week I think) and a bit more chest work. I still kept tricep and shoulder work. I am currently working on my deadlift program but I am having some difficulty. I would like to do more actual sumo pulling; quite possibly from small deficits and small blocks. I would also like to keep snatch grip DLs in there as well. I am not sure what else to incorporate for DL days except perhaps front squats and good mornings. I am open to suggestions at this point.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 12:52 pm

Instead of front squats and goodmornings, I would suggest more deadlifting. Maybe some light(er) conventional deadlifts after you pull sumo.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 2:22 pm

KKeough wrote:
Instead of front squats and goodmornings, I would suggest more deadlifting. Maybe some light(er) conventional deadlifts after you pull sumo.
I am certainly NOT opposed to that. What percentage would say? Like 60-70%? And what sort of rep range?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Broceidon wrote:
KKeough wrote:
I am certainly NOT opposed to that. What percentage would say? Like 60-70%? And what sort of rep range?
Somewhere in that range, with however many reps you need to make a set taxing, but not near failure. So, at 70%, for most people that would be a set of 5-6.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Here is the video from my Deadlift AMRAP on Monday. After looking at the video a bit closer, I noticed that my shoulders were not retracted as much as they usually are causing me to be a bit rounded over. This might be why I was feeling like I could not sit back as much as far/being in front of the bar. If you look at the majority of my videos, I pull my shoulders together and it sits me back and helps me get into a better starting position. Just something I will have to keep in mind for the future when pulling

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:42 pm

"Throw those shoulders back."

You should have listened to me, brah.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:54 pm

KKeough wrote:

My headphones accidentally shut off before I started my PR squat. They also accidentally shut off before this pull but I turned them back on anyways. Lesson learned
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Broceidon wrote:
KKeough wrote:

My headphones accidentally shut off before I started my PR squat. They also accidentally shut off before this pull but I turned them back on anyways. Lesson learned
lol, I was just kidding. I don't think it would have helped much. You at least had terrific speed on these; you just need to keep form a little better. Once you do that, you will start crushing these rep maxes. You are probably a low-500s puller off the floor.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 1:11 pm

KKeough wrote:
Broceidon wrote:
KKeough wrote:

lol, I was just kidding. I don't think it would have helped much. You at least had terrific speed on these; you just need to keep form a little better. Once you do that, you will start crushing these rep maxes. You are probably a low-500s puller off the floor.
I need to work on form a bit more. I have only been pulling "true" sumo for at most 3 months and I did not get a whole lot of guidance with it at 22nd St since most guys were conventional or semi-sumo. On a related note, if you are going to be at the CRWC tonight, I would like to work on a DL routine/plan if that is okay with you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grant Voshell's Log
Page 12 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: