Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Grant Voshell's Log

Go down 
+12
David Petersen
apdirienzo
Chris Anderson
babyeater
agleckler
KevinAlvy
Keosawa
Seth
Logan Joseph
Nathan Poage
zchaib
Quadfather
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
AuthorMessage
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Brometheus wrote:
in other news: after my post-meet chiropractor adjustment, i came home and logged into facebook then about 5 minutes later, gracie vanasse messaged me back and said

"I decide (I) do want to help you. U still interested?"

so i am awaiting her response at the moment. i am not sure if she will be writing my program or just giving some friendly input but i have been wanting to give a conjugate training a go. i am currently in the process of reading the book of methods as i write this (taking a short break now).

This is no longer happening. i respectfully had to decline her offer and i will be keeping my deadlift and bench pretty much the same but some work is being done for my squat programming. Something like this:

Sunday: light-moderate bench
Monday: moderate-heavy squat
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: moderate deadlift
Thursday: moderate (heavy) bench
Friday: moderate-heavy squat (same as monday)
Saturday: off

This is kind of a rough idea of what i will do. Squatting twice and deadlifting once a week will be my biggest challenge IMO. I am trying to keep at least 1 day off in between so that i may recover.

Other news: I will talk to my dad because he is wanting me to play softball at least 4x a week not including our traveling/competitive team. I love playing softball but i also need to rest and recover in order to progress efficiently. Once a week (wednesdays) with the traveling team, will be enough to give me my "fix" for softball. To me, progressing in PL is just more important
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Brometheus wrote:
in other news: after my post-meet chiropractor adjustment, i came home and logged into facebook then about 5 minutes later, gracie vanasse messaged me back and said

"I decide (I) do want to help you. U still interested?"

At first I read "messaged me back" as "massaged my back". I thought you were about to get a little too personal with your training log. Then I was kind of disappointed that you didn't.

Your plan looks a lot like mine. I'm shooting to get a light and moderate to heavy squat and bench day in and a moderate deadlift day each week. I think I'll also try to get a light deadlift or power clean day too to work on my speed. What rep and set range do you think you'll be working with for the respective light and moderate to heavy days?
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 9:24 pm

Andy Awad wrote:
At first I read "messaged me back" as "massaged my back".  I thought you were about to get a little too personal with your training log.  Then I was kind of disappointed that you didn't.

woah baby, i wish !!

Andy Awad wrote:
Your plan looks a lot like mine.  I'm shooting to get a light and moderate to heavy squat and bench day in and a moderate deadlift day each week.  I think I'll also try to get a light deadlift or power clean day too to work on my speed.  What rep and set range do you think you'll be working with for the respective light and moderate to heavy days?

for bench and deadlift, most of my work will be roughly 70-80% but i will probably start around 65% for now and work into that range after a couple of weeks. for squat, it responds to more intense work so roughly 80-90% will be most of my work. my program will be in sort of a "wave" fashion but i use that term kind of loosely for deadlift

Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 9:34 pm

19 February 2013

SSB squat: 3x 90, 140, 180, 230, 270, 320, 360; 1x 385, 410(x)

Log press: 1x 90, 140, 160, 190; a bunch x0 x210

I set a PR on the SSB and im not sure by how much but i was pleased with 385. I just tried 410 on a whim and basically did a 3-5 second paused squat a few inches out of the hole. NBD just some fun.

Ive been wanting to get back into the gym and since my program doesnt start until sunday, i decided to do some fun stuff while i can. Some of the strongmen were doing overhead work so a few of us jumped in and had a log press party. I tried 210 a billion times but i could not lock it out over head. I remember 190 or something was my old PR so im guessing i have become better or stronger or both. Oh well, it was still a fun time
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 12:04 pm

Are you planning on competing in July?
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Are you planning on competing in July?

I am planning on it yes unless something drastic comes up. Are you?
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 12:36 pm

Not competing, but I will be attending.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 1:25 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Not competing, but I will be attending.

dibs on you and keosawa being my handlers. would want again/10
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 1:48 pm

We did a pretty good job handling your meat meet, if I do say so myself. I'm hoping my meet in April goes as well as yours did.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
We did a pretty good job handling your meat meet, if I do say so myself. I'm hoping my meet in April goes as well as yours did.

I plan on being there and if keosawa or others want to tag along, they are welcome to come by
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 10:17 pm

21 February 2014

Deficit Deadlift 3" Plate: 1x 320, 370, 410

SSB Squat: 4x3, 8x 310

Today was one more fun day before i begin my next cycle this coming sunday. i felt like deadlifting and doing some squat variant and about 30 minutes before leaving the house, daveman gave the idea of doing deficit deadlifts which i have not done in quite some time and sounded like some fun. The plates were mixed and matched but im fairly certain it was 410 +/- 1 pound. This was a fairly heavy weight but i definitely had a few more pounds. I noticed it had slowed down a bit so i called it good for the day.

I was hoping to use a 14" cambered bar but it is currently out of the office for a few days so i decided to do some reps with a SSB. I was told the bar is 90 pounds but it does not seem that heavy and i am not aware of a 90-pound SSB but i have to believe what others tell me on this one. I wanted to do some simple rep work around 80% and stuck to a 5x3 work set and did the 5th set as an AMRAP. Depth was kind of close and maybe a couple were a hair high; i am hoping the high squatting from the SPF people at 22nd Street BB does not rub off on me Crying or Very sad Anyways, the 5th set felt pretty solid and i decided to cap at 8 reps in order to avoid crossfit accusations but i definitely had a couple more reps left. Hope all is well is IC and best of luck to the competitors in the intramural meet! Any questions or advice, feel free to message me on here or on the book of faces!

Last edited by Brometheus on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 10:35 am

I'm about 90% sure that almost all SSBs are 65lb.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 2:43 pm

23 February 2014

Dynamic Shoulder + Pectoral Stretches

Bench: 6x6 195 (6th set did 8 reps)

Incline Press w/ Narrow Grip: 3x3 185

Klokov Press: 3x3 135

Full Body Static Stretches

This was the first day of my training since my meet 1 week ago and i left pleased with my performance. Today was just some easy volume to get things moving again and 195 pounds is 70% of my training max which i am calling 280 for now. This should be a pretty accurate max because i hit 275 multiple times at the end of my last cycle and my peak left me somewhere between 275-295. Anyways, i digress.

The warm ups felt smooth and fast and i paid close attention to my footing again. The first set was a misload and there was an extra 10-pound plate on my left side. At first i thought it may have been my set up or a goof in the hand-off but after 2-3 reps, i knew someone misloaded. The second set, i was used to the extra 10 on the left side and overcompensated on my right so the groove was a little weird at first. It took my spotter, Hornbrook, about 4 sets to kind of get used to handing off for me because he would pull the weight up then out rather than getting it over the hooks and guiding it out. I typically work with Jake Perkins who knows my style but he is resting up for the SPF meet this saturday so he will be out for a few days. Nonetheless, Horn figured it out and lifted softly so that i could maintain position and keep my lats tight. The 6th set felt great and i definitely had a couple more reps in but decided to cap it and save the rest for later this week.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 9:00 pm

24 February 2014

Squat: 4x 305, 4x 325, 3x4 345 w/5 minutes rest

Paused Squat w/ 5 Second Pauses: 3x 225, 245, 255 w/2 minutes rest

Today was my first day of squatting on my new cycle. While doing some warm up stretches, my right hip flexor was cramping/tightening up a bit but after a little extra stretching, it felt good to go. When doing squat warm ups, i could tell things were not 100% and knew i would have to take things pretty seriously. First off, my acceleration felt slow and i just felt tired. It seemed like the peaking had worn off and i was in the valley after the peak (if that makes sense). Second, my chest and shoulders were stiff and sore from my volume bench day yesterday since it was the most voluminous bench session in over a month. This tightness gave me some issues with setting up and staying tight for squats but i did the best i could with what i had.

Paused squatting was fairly simple and pretty short. I decided to keep the weight fairly light and coming out of the hole with as much power as i could mustard up.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 9:03 pm

What kind of programming are you doing now? Some volume for the next six weeks or so would probably be very helpful for you--get eating and put on some mass, because this would be great time for it.

Also, I will probably be coming to 22nd Street a time or two next week as I will be in Camp Dodge all week and I will get tired of lifting at the little dinky gym they have there. Pepper thy angus.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 9:48 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
What kind of programming are you doing now? Some volume for the next six weeks or so would probably be very helpful for you--get eating and put on some mass, because this would be great time for it.

yes to an extent. Bench will be voluminous the next three weeks, then reps decrease and intensity increases for three weeks, and again for another three weeks. Squats are twice a week and are also in 3 week waves with the first week being 4-reps, the second week being 2-reps, and the third week singles. Deadlift follows a slightly modified Coan/Philipi. Mostly just wave-periodization.

I have had some trouble eating since the meet but i try to do things that make me hungry like reading, lifting, or watching movies and this seems to help a bit. Otherwise, i am just sleeping a bunch, roughly 10-12 hours per night

Chris Anderson wrote:
Also, I will probably be coming to 22nd Street a time or two next week as I will be in Camp Dodge all week and I will get tired of lifting at the little dinky gym they have there. Pepper thy angus.

so excite...

Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Tumblr_mc3hg5VpQP1qcy0p7o1_500
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 8:57 pm

26 February 2014

Deadlift: 5x 335, 3x4 360, 8x2 265 w/ 1 minute rest

Hanging Knee Raise: 2x 15 ish

Lat Pull Down: 10x 50, 100, 120

First day back to deadlift and it was not too shabby. I still do not quite feel 100% ready to go and i still feel some residual fatigue from the meet but i can tell im coming back. I also was fairly sore in my quads and hams from squats on monday so i did my best to warm those bad boys up before getting started. Ive been doing Agile 8 as well as a few shoulder stretches before every training day and i have noticed my flexibility increase and that i feel primed before starting.

I wanted to keep this session short and get used to lifting slightly tired so i kept the rest intervals moderate and sort of a TnG deadlift as you will see in the video. I remember Wes telling me about this way of deadlifting and how it increases TUT so i wanted to give it a go. It was kind of brutal and my back is sore but i definitely liked the change of pace. I have not decided if i should keep this style going or deadlift like i used but i am open to ideas.

Speed pulls made my back pretty sore so i did some hanging knee raises to stretch out the back and tighten the front which made most of the soreness go away. Might have to remember this for the future.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 8:45 pm

27 February 2014

Bench: 5x 195, 210, 225; 3x3 185

Face Pulls: 3x10 50

Banded Tricep Pressdown: 75, 50
DB Hammer Curls: 3x8

I was all kinds of sore today and it was brutal. My low back was especially sore in addition to my quads and glutes. At first, the stiffness prevented me from getting into a good arch but thankfully something worked out. For some reason, things felt slightly off today; the weight was moving slow and weak and i could not figure it out until my last set of 185. I tried the usual things such as squeezing the bar tighter, retracting my shoulders, getting set up on my traps, meeting the bar with my chest and just about everything else. As i unracked the second set of 185, i felt myself wobble a bit and it hit me like a ton of bricks, my feet were too narrow; about 1-2" on both sides narrow. I widened them on the last set and BOOM things were moving well again. So the one good thing from this session was figuring this last part out.

My front shoulders (possibly rotator cuffs) have been feeling a little achy the past week or so and it does not bother me while benching or pressing but rather other everyday things. For now, i am adding in extra pec minor and front shoulder stretches but other suggestions are welcome.
Back to top Go down
lowerpower25
Class IV
Class IV
lowerpower25

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 9:58 pm

how i keep my rotator cuffs strong is a shoulder stretch wit 2.5s i tuck my shoulders in my ribs wit my elbows at a 90 angle and rotate outwards, for 3 sets of 8 before i start. and also look into some prehab routines, mine consist of baseball band circuits and lots and lots and lots of indian swings.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 10:29 am

I will try to keep this short but here is some recent training

28 February 2014

Squat: 4x 305, 325; 3x4 345 w/ 5 minutes rest

2 March 2014

Squat: 2x 325, 345; 3x2 365 w/ 5 minutes rest

3 March 2014

Bench: 5x6, 10x 200 w/ ~3 minutes rest (RPE 8.5-9)

Skwat: Friday was an excellent squat session. The weight was moving quickly, easily and i felt that i could have squatted for days. I worked out with keosawa and he showed me some thoracic extension exercise with chains that i will be adding to my squat day once a week. The sunday skwat session was not as pleasing, probably from being on my feet at the saturday meet. I filmed from the front this session just to see how things look and i was kind of surprised. First and most importantly, the bar was off-balance and you could easily see it. The bar was leaning towards my right a bit and this was from two things i believe: 1- i believe the weight on the left was just slightly less than on the right because it just felt lighter and 2- the bar on my left side did not feel buried in my back and kept sliding off on the unrack. Normally these two things do not happen but i will keep an eye on it when i squat again on thursday

Bench felt decent. My set up felt great but the weight moved a little slow but this is probably from 3-4 minute rest intervals and not having much water. I particularly focused on keeping my left shoulder in place and not throwing it into the movement which had some substantial benefits. First, my shoulder was obviously feeling good since it was secure and locked in. Second, keeping my shoulder locked in helped create an even extension at lockout and not a lean to my left side
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 3:21 pm

I'm available to talk training on FB if you're inclined to discuss deadlift/bench stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 7:07 pm

I will be at the dungeon tomorrow. PROMISE
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 10:07 pm

4 March 2014

Deadlift: 4x 360, 3x3 385 w/ 5 minutes rest; 5x2 275 w/ 1 minute rest

Pronated and Supinated Lat Pull Down: 3x10 for each

Curls: a few

Worked up to 80% of my training max today and just focused on hitting fast and solid reps with short rest intervals. Keeping rest time shorts makes things difficult because i am a little fatigued but doesnt hold me back too much. My hamstrings felt a little tight today and kind of prevented me from loading the weight on them like i wanted. Nonetheless, reps looked clean for the most part and the weight moved decently. I did some speed sets at the end which moved very well and i originally had 6 sets planned but after 5, my back was feeling fatigued so i called it a day to keep my exertion level down
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 8:43 pm

6 March 2014

Squat w/ 5 minutes rest:
2x 325
2x 345
2x 365
2x 365
6x 365 (RPE 8.5) possible PR

Pause Squat: 3x2 245 w/ 5 second pause

Skwaaats went pretty well today. The speed was a little slow but it felt strong. The bar was balanced this time as i was pretty picky about the plates i used. Also, i did notice that the bar was centered however my right hand slides out a little bit when i set up and when i was diligent about making sure they were even, everything else followed. I was feeling pretty good and i really wanted to give 365 a good ride so i pushed the envelope a bit and went for some extra reps. I originally had 4 in mind but those felt solid and when the sixth rep felt a little slower than the others, i decided to rack it. I believe this is a PR but i am not certain. Nonetheless, hitting this weight for an easy 6 while slightly fatigued is pleasing.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 12:15 pm

How's your shoulder doing? I've hurt both of my rotator cuffs before. I know what you mean when you say it interferes with everyday stuff. Putting shirts on was especially irritating for me. I did some physical therapy (mostly band stuff) for a little while and it helped a ton. I was back to benching in about 2 weeks. Prior to seeing the physical therapist I decided to not do anything and didn't workout for 6 weeks in the hope that it'd go away, which ended up being the wrong thing to do in my situation. I didn't do ohpressing for a while, but I think I could have been smarter about it and eased into it gradually.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grant Voshell's Log
Page 19 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: