View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 23  Next
AuthorMessage
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:46 pm

KKeough wrote:
Okay, next time I see you, I'll show you a GHR. I keep forgetting.

And wraps are a pain in the ass. You really do have to learn them and adjust your technique to suit them, and some are better at using them than others. But yeah, it's hard to instantly throw them on and see your numbers shoot up.

I keep forgetting that too. I "tried" some the other day on back raise things in the back but it felt like I was foam rolling the s*** outta my upper quads/hip flexors. I will probably be there tomorrow just to do some assistance stuff after I work bench a little. I am leaning towards the Iron-Z's simply because I can really crank them and get them to cover more. Seth mentioned he had a pair so I might buy those off of him

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:36 pm

March 15, 2013

Bench:
Warm-Up
5x 185, 205
3x 225-Failed fourth
1x 235-Failed second

Close-Grip:
10x 95, 135, 135, 135, 165

Straight-Leg DL w/ Deficit
3x10 95

Face-Pulls
External Rotations
Cable Pull-Throughs

Really did not have a set plan for bench. I just kind of went and did it. After filming these, I really noticed how weak my triceps are and how unbalanced I am during the lift. Kyle emphasized to get into an arch, which is something that I am terrible with. However, he showed me how to get into position and gave me a good push from the top of the shoulders and I helped get me into one hell of an arch. I only pressed 135lbs once but it felt more explosive and I even felt more balanced. So developing my arch will be key for me.

KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Honestly your tricep strength looks fine. Raw lifters rarely have any true issues from lack of tricep strength. IMO 99% of the time when a raw lifter fails near the top of a lift it's because they didn't get enough power off the chest or grinded too long at the mid point.

edit: They might fail high if they use an especially narrow grip, which you don't seem to use

It looks like you either misgrooved or touched too low
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:58 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
Honestly your tricep strength looks fine. Raw lifters rarely have any true issues from lack of tricep strength. IMO 99% of the time when a raw lifter fails near the top of a lift it's because they didn't get enough power off the chest or grinded too long at the mid point

It looks like you either misgrooved or touched too low

That is true. I am usually pretty weak coming off the chest. Could be because I would rest a lot of the weight on my chest instead of just touching. I misgroove quite a bit so maybe applying more force so the bar barely touches my chest will help..??

KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:05 pm

gvoshell wrote:

That is true. I am usually pretty weak coming off the chest. Could be because I would rest a lot of the weight on my chest instead of just touching. I misgroove quite a bit so maybe applying more force so the bar barely touches my chest will help..??

Well if you are relaxing the primary moves/stabilizers then yes, you could be losing power off the chest.

Just by the nature of it, simply letting the bar touch your chest will be transfer some of the weight from your hands to rest on your body. When I can help it I try to touch as minimal as possible, and it helps me keep tight.

A lot of lifters have been experimenting with benching to an "invisible 1 board" to insure that they stay tight.

At this point as long as you are progressing I would just find a groove that is comfortable, consistent, and will keep you injury free
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Staying tighter will definitely keep you from mis-grooving. You also search for your groove for too long at the top, which may or may not be due to a miscommunicated hand-off. Regardless of the reason, the simplest way to "grease the groove" is simply to bench with greater volume.

That said, you're flaring your elbows pretty hard on most moderately heavy (205+) bench attempts. It could be that you're touching too low (clearly the case here) and compensating, or it could be a strength issue. My suspicion is that it's a combination of an inefficient motor pattern and a weakness, and excessive elbow flare usually connotes weak triceps. Flared elbows allow for greater pec recruitment in shoulder adduction to compensate for a weakness (usually the triceps).

Think about it this way: the danger of flared-elbow benching is that it places increased stress on the pec tie-in and the shoulder, typically the front delt. This stress is caused because they're being put in a (more) compromised position, but it's also because they're being asked to "do too much" on the bench.

The simplest solution is, again, just to train the weakness directly and use a lot of sub-max volume to press with good technique. Train down to a point where you can keep technique and your weakness will improve.

There are other possibilities here--some diagnose elbow-flare as caused by weak (or in your case, under-utilized) lats, so just getting into better position might help--but the only way to know for sure if a tricep weakness is a contributing factor is to do some sort of tricep-focused pressing movement (like a close-grip bench press) and examine your performance. If you're benching less than 90% of your regular 1RM with a close-grip style, then your triceps are probably a weakness.

TL;DR: Supplementing regular bench pressing with more sub-max volume work, with the focus being on learning your groove, improving your setup, and maintaining technique, should be the easiest and quickest way to solve your problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:46 pm

March 17, 2013

Squat:
4x 135, 185, 225
3x 275, 315
1x 315, 330, 330

Front Squat:
3x 185, 225
1x 275 (PR), 295 (Newer PR)

GHRs
External Rotations

Overall pleased with today. After looking at the videos from the back squat, I was pleased with how I kept form/fixed form with weight above 90%. Front Squat form started to fall apart with the heavy weight, probably just from fatigue because I was starting to feel a little gassed by then.

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:35 pm

You have some really short femurs. You're actually ideally suited to squat, and you've probably got a pretty high ceiling in that lift.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:15 am

KKeough wrote:
You have some really short femurs. You're actually ideally suited to squat, and you've probably got a pretty high ceiling in that lift.

In all seriousness, I have never been told that before. Changing subject, but am i going just a hair shallow in these squats?

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:09 pm

March 18, 2013

Bench:
4x 150, 175, 200
3x 210
2x 225
1x 235, 250 (Tie PR)

Close-Grip:
10x 135
5x 165, 195

Chin-Ups
Face-Pulls

Extremely pleased with bench today. My original plan was just to increase weight 10% every time and see where I break down. I felt really good after 225, but fatigued, so I decided to a single 235. Once I hit that smoothly, I decided to try my PR. I can definitely say this was from a much better set up. In the video, I go through two set ups and the second is the best and the one that I will use. Kept my glutes very tight, drove with my heels just enough to keep my butt on the bench, and slowed the bar down to gently touch my chest.

KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:39 pm

Bro spot for broceidon, king of the brocean
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:58 pm

March 19, 2013

Deficit 2.5" Sumo DL:
4x 225, 270
2x 315
1x 360, 405
4x4 325

Deficit 4" Straight-Leg DL:
5x 135, 135, 185, 185

GHRs
3x10 BW

Camera died after the first set of 315 so I do not have a video today. I felt kind of tight going into the lift today so I am a little pleased that I was still able to pull this heavy. Had to change/tweak my grip at 360 and put the weight more in the palm instead of the fingers. I also had a different set up and it seemed to work pretty well; I grip it and give it just a little pull to take the slack out of my arms while keeping my lats tight, take in a deep breath and push the air into my belly, bend the knees then lift. Works for me.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:23 pm

March 20, 2013

Bench:
5x 150, 175, 200
4x 210, 225, 225

Lat Flex Down w/ Blue Bands

Iso Row
8x 45, 70, 90 per arm

Face Pulls

Bench speed felt great today. The hooks kept letting the bar roll backwards and it became extremely distracting butI was pleased to do 2x4 225 with the speed that I did. I really wanted to get a fifth rep on 225 but I did not have a spot and did not want to sacrifice form to get it. I still need to focus on squeezing the bar and really staying tight at the bottom but I did a better job of that today than last week.

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Sorry, we ended up going early today--otherwise, I could have spotted you.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:06 pm

KKeough wrote:
Sorry, we ended up going early today--otherwise, I could have spotted you.

No worries. The meet is still a ways away. I will not be benching until saturday/sunday though so if you are around, I might need one because I am going heavy.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:28 pm

March 21, 2013

Squat:
5x 210, 245, 280, 315
3x 330
4x 330 (New Rep PR)

Front Squat:
5x 175, 205 235
3x 235

Squat felt excellent today. I was not originally planning to squat today but since I got my belt in, I decided to test it out. I applied a lot of hip drive during the concentric part of the movement and that really paid off. Weights just came flying up. The first couple of reps felt pretty easy on 330 but I kept getting gassed around 3 and 4. Nonetheless, it is safe to assume my max is way above 350 at this point and I plan on smashing that in April.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:59 pm

March 22, 2013

Bench:
5x 150, 175, 200
4x 225
2x 235
3x 235 (New Rep PR)

DB Bench:
3x8 75

External Rotations
Face-Pulls

I felt pretty tired walking into the gym today. So I just wanted to get in, get some work done and get out. The session was shorter than normal, only about 75 minutes. I mostly just wanted to get 4x225 and I did and felt great. I also wanted to hit 2x235 and I did, however I was not satisfied so I did 235 again and ended up with a triple. Definitely going to just rest this weekend. I have been going hard for about 7-8 days now.
On a side note, I have noticed that my routine this week has been extremely similar to a Bulgarian routine. However, I alternate sessions between bench and lower body and for lower body I alternate between squat and deadlift. Also, I do not hit my maxes every session but I do get up to around 95% or so.

Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:30 pm

Sorry I didn't make it in today man my schedule has been kinda hectic. I'll be in the next few days though so I'm sure I will run into you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:04 pm

Seth wrote:
Sorry I didn't make it in today man my schedule has been kinda hectic. I'll be in the next few days though so I'm sure I will run into you.

Way to let down the team.

Nice rep PRs the last two days, Grant.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:19 pm

March 24, 2013

Deficit DL:
3x 245, 285, 324, 365
2x 405, 405 (New Rep PR)

Weighted Hip-Flexor Walk
No-Handed Squat
GHRs

Felt pretty sore and fatigued today and it definitely showed. My form today was absolutely terrible. I could not keep my hips down to save my life. Going to give my legs a couple of days rest and come back hard for squat. Plan is to bench tomorrow, nothing the day after, then squat heavy again.

agleckler
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:53 pm

No 315lb no-hands-squat video?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:04 am

agleckler wrote:

It's in the "off-topic" discussion under "awwwww yeeeaaaahhh"

agleckler
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 am

Broceidon wrote:
agleckler wrote:

It's in the "off-topic" discussion under "awwwww yeeeaaaahhh"

OHhhhh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:52 pm

March 25, 2013

Bench:
3x 150, 175, 200, 225
2x 250 (New Overall PR)

DB Bench:
3x8 80

Face-Pulls
External Rotations

I had some serious DOMS in my hams and glutes today and I felt pretty fatigued. Both are probably from deadlifting yesterday. I went kind of quickly through my sets, only resting maybe 5 minutes or so. My only goal was to hit 250 for an easy single but after 225 for an easy triple, I wanted to try 250 for a double. Luckily I succeeded and 250 was my 1RM but not anymore. I plan to take tomorrow off and maybe Wednesday to recover a bit. I have a midterm Wed and Fri + a quiz on Thurs so I want to focus on those for now.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:02 pm

March 27, 2013

Squat:
3x 210, 245 (w/o wraps)
1x 280, 315, 350, 365 (New PR), 375 (Newer PR) (w/ wraps)
5x 335 (New Rep PR)

Easy-Girl Machine (Abductor)

I came in today just wanting to break in the wraps and hit or break 350 if I could. I was a little tired/sluggish but I got after it and just smoked my PRs. The early lifts felt a little wobbly and I wonder if it's because there was not enough weight to counteract the wraps.
Nonetheless, wraps definitely helped some but I am not totally sure since I hit 5x335 after my max effort squat. Overall, without wraps, my squat is probably around 385 or so. After talking it over with Kyle, we decided to readjust my lift attempts. Probably going to open up around 340 then try around 380 and 400+ if possible.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   

Back to top Go down

Grant Voshell's Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 23Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 23  Next