Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:32 pm

25 March 2014

Deadlift: 8x3x 205 + 60 lbs in chains w/ 30 seconds rest

SLDL: 4x6x 205

Bench: 6x6x 215

OHP w/ Swiss Bar: 5x 85, 105, 125, 135, 145 (last 2 sets had a slight push-start)

I had to double up yesterday's bench with today's deadlift since i went to the chiropractor yesterday morning and she advised no lifting for the day. Deadlift was okay and had some form break down as the sets progressed and i became tired and short of breath. The weight was fine but the short rest intervals were a curve ball. In addition, this was the most voluminous session i have had in a long time; a total of 48 reps within a 30 minute span and by the time i finished, my back had a pump that i have never had before.

Bench press felt very strong today and the weight felt extremely light. I recall to my last training cycle and i remember 5x8x215 was pretty brutal but this felt like a breeze today. Granted the set-reps are slightly different but it is roughly the same amount of volume in the same amount of time since i was taking roughly 3-4 minutes of rest in between sets today. With the way bench is going, i am very excited about this next meet and would not be surprised if i hit 303+. In two weeks time, i am supposed to hit 6x6x225 and i am looking forward to destroying this weight.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:15 pm

27 March 2014

Squat: 2x 330, 2x 350, 3x2x 370

Paused Squat: 3x3x 275 (focusing on speed especially out of the hole)

Banded Thoracic Extensions(?): Few sets of 20 until tired

I felt like absolute dog poo walking into the gym today; i felt tired and exhausted which is bizarre because i am sleeping roughly 10+ hours per night. I was also unbelievably tight in my hams and quads so i made sure to really stretch everything out before doing anything. As i was warming up, i felt so weak and lethargic that i ended up taking another half-scoop of PWO just to get some extra caffeine in my system. As the weight became heavier, i noticed how taxing it was to unrack and set up; i was almost out of breath before i even started the set. The reps moved fast and well but they were so taxing that i ended up taking another minute or two just to make sure i stayed safe and could execute the reps well. I was not supposed to but i wanted to make sure i did the amount of bar-lifts prescribed for the day. I normally do paused squats on thursdays with a relatively low RPE since i have 3 days to recover and i feel they are helping or have helped but with feeling so beat up and deadlifting another time every week, i have decided to drop them for now in hopes that i place less stress on my back.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:50 pm

28 March 2014

Deadlift: 8x1x 325

Dimel DL: 3x20x 175

Bench: 4x 205, 220, 235

Banded Tricep Pushdown: 3 sets until tired

Not much to say about this day. Deadlifts were okay; weight felt easy and moved well. I focused on having a straight lumbar first and good bar-speed second. There was a little bit of rounding but not a whole lot. Some tightness in my hamstrings and glutes prevented me from getting into a better position but i am doing what i can to loosen them up so that i may progress over the coming weeks. First time doing Dimel DL and they did feel a little weird but i did my best to make sure i kept my back straight.

Benching was mediocre. The first two sets were decent but the third set i think perkins pulled the bar out of my hands a bit so the bar did not sit deep in my palms. I felt like i misgrooved just a bit because of this but i will ask for a lighter hand-off next time.

In other news: i went to bed last night just about as sore as i have ever been but i decided to take some advil and sleep on it because i thought it was just from the session. I woke up this morning and all hell broke loose. The lower left side of my back and top of my left glute hurt like hell and my left leg felt out of whack. As i began moving around, i noticed it affected my left leg when i walked. It feels kind of hot internally (if that makes sense). Just a gut feeling but i think it has something to do with my pelvis but i cannot be certain. I called and made an appointment with my doctor to get it checked out because this is pretty painful. So for now, i am shutting everything down until i hear what is going on.

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:25 pm

Ruh roh.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:47 pm

damn..

iowa pling is getting gutted
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:14 pm

Just dropping by for a quick update: i went to the doctor yesterday and the chiropractor today. Doctor prescribed 5 days rest, some muscle relaxers, and minimal back exertion. Chiropractor took some extra time stretching me out and adjusting me. She wants me to use a tennis ball on my glutes and the sides of the hips 2x a day in addition to some mild stretching. I did this before going to batting practice and while i did not hit, i ran around and threw the ball and things felt fine and did not have any pain or weird "pops" in the back. The chiropractor is doing some extra research and said she would contact me soon with what she finds.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:22 am

6 April 2014

Squat: 3x 225, 315, 345, 365, 385 (RPE 8.75) w/ ~5 minutes rest

Paused Squat: 3x 225, 275, 315

This was the first day back after the deload week. I wanted to work up to a fairly heavy triple; somewhere in the range of having 1 for sure rep and maybe a grinder for a second with a caveat of "if the back or hip does not feel good at XXX pounds then shut it down." This heavy weight was to help me, personally, determine how strong i was and if i lost some speed or strength. Overall, i was pretty pleased with how things went and on that note, i will pick up squat training as if i squatted last week so this will be my 4's week. Right now, i am 15 weeks out from the July UPA meet, including this week, and if things hold up and i feel well, i will compete that weekend.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:06 am

7 April 2014

Bench: 6x6x 220

Incline Bench: 3x 155, 175, 185, 195

Tricep Push Down: Sets of 20

Kept misgrooving like no other. Probably from not benching for 10 days.

8 April 2014

Deadlift: 8x3x 205 + 100 lbs of chains w/ 60 seconds rest

SLDL: 4x4x 265

Ham Curls
Quad Ext

Still slightly rounded especially as i begin to tire but it is becoming better.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:46 pm

Been pretty busy these past few days but here is some recent training...

10 April 2014

Squat: 4x 325, 345, 3x4x 355 w/ 5 minutes rest (accidentally misloaded first 2 sets)

Bench: 4x 205, 220, 235 w/ 5 minutes rest

DL: 6x1x 375 w/ 5 minutes rest

Dimel DL: 3x20x 195

RIP posterior chain. I had to combine two sessions into one because i did not have time on friday or saturday so i nutted up and did the bar lifts. PWO was in steady flow that day.

13 April 2014

Squat: 2x 335, 355, 3x2x 375

Paused Squat: 3x 235, 285, 3x3x 325 w/ 5 second pause

Banded Thoracic Extensions: 3 sets and each set added more chains

Used the new Texas Squat Bar and woah baby, twas reaaaaal niiiiice. After watching the video, i noticed my right side was a little lower than my left so something to keep and eye on. Second thing, the first rep was always harder than the second and kevin heitz pointed out that i was unracking with my feet slightly behind the bar causing me to be a little forward which made sense. On the paused sets, i practiced getting a better foot position and this helped quite a bit.

14 April 2014

Bench: 5x6x, 8x 225 (PR) w/ ~5 minutes rest

OHP w/ Swiss Bar: 5x 85, 105, 125, 145, 3x 155 (New 5-rep and 3-rep PR)

Decent bench day. The weight did not move extremely fast but felt pretty strong. My right arm was experiencing a little bit of pain in the brachialis area and this made benching feel slightly off. As I progressed through the sets, the pain began to go away. These reps were not strictly paused but not TnG either. Next week, i will be more diligent about pausing and have Perkins (or whoever) give me press commands. This is technically a 225 PR simply because i have never benched 225 this many times in one session (i believe my best was 5x6x225) so this is big progress for me.

*Video Uploading*

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33 pm

For your unrack, try to arch the bar out of the monolift. Even if your feet are a little bit behind you, it shouldn't affect it too much as long as your bar position is still good. As always, take your time with your setup and let the weight settle before your eccentric. Just find your happy medium and hammer it.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:39 pm

15 April 2014

Deadlift: 8x3x 225 + 60 lbs of chains w/ 1 minute rest

RDL: 4x6x 185

Quad Extensions
Banded Ham Curls
Banded Glutes

Felt a little stiff and sore in the low back when i started but i nutted up and got after it. The initial 5-6 sets moved better and faster than i thought. While doing the sets, it seemed like they were moving pretty slow but after looking at the video, the speed was pretty fast i must say. The last set or two, i had a pretty big "pump" in my erectors so i was thankful that i was nearly finished. The powers above said to switch from SLDL to RDL which was my first time doing those. I am starting to notice less and less rounding as weeks progress which is definitely a good sign. However, my back is usually pretty sore just about every day of the week but i know that if i can hold out for a couple more weeks until meet prep, then deadlifting will reduce to once a week and hopefully squat will follow. For now, just staying on that grind.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 pm

17 April 2014

Squat: 2x 335, 355, 3x2x 375

I had a follow-up appointment with my chiropractor this morning and we went over some x-rays taken last time. She explained everything she saw and went into detail as to why certain things are causing my pain and why i keep going back to square one. With these new found discoveries, she told me some things she would do differently while adjusting me and why she was doing them. She fixed me up and i have felt great so far with no pain.

Anyways, squatting recently has just kind of been meh; i have been going in, doing the reps and getting out without thinking too much about it and the music being played is just kind of white noise. Things were going okay until the the second set of 375 when i went down on the second rep and while i was in the hole, my brain decided to take a quick break before telling my body to come back up which made the rep a struggle. This did not anger me or piss me off per se but it definitely woke me up and made me start getting after it. The third set, i got after it and smoked 2x375. Kind of needed this wake up call to get fired up, determined, and focused on what i need to do to get a big squat this july.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:34 pm

18 April 2014

Deadlift: 5x1x 405

Dimel DL: 3x25x 175

Bench Press: 3x210, 3x225, 7x 240 (PR)

While composing the deadlift video, i noticed my shoulders were slightly round at the start. I felt that these reps moved kind of slow except for the last one which felt the best. Myself and Perkins noticed i pulled a little more slack out of the bar on this particular rep. I felt like i pulled with through the bar instead of into the bar if that makes sense.

Benching felt strong but it was pretty sloppy. While editing the video, i noticed my feet were in just a bit which probably made me just a bit wobbly and unbalanced. This is a repetitive pattern and i am still fine tuning the details but i am still making good progress.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:41 pm

20 April 2014

Squat: 1x355, 1x375, 3x1x395 w/ 5 minute rest (below 8-RPE)

Felt pretty strong on squat today. On my first work set, i filmed from the front and noticed the squat may have been a little high but i was not sure so the rest of the sets i filmed from the sides. The 375-set i looked at the film and it was questionable and i would not have argued if someone red-lighted me in a meet. The last 3 singles, i made sure to not have any doubt on depth and surprisingly i still hit 395 for 3 very fast and very smooth singles. While this is not a PR, i do not recall squatting this weight this fast so this is big progress.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:09 pm

21 April 2014

Bench Press: 6x6x 230 (technically another PR)

OHP: 5x 95, 115, 135, 135, 135

Technically hit another PR on Monday. I have never bench pressed 230 for this many reps before. Overall, benching went well and i felt like i had more in the tank after the last set. Fatigue started to set in around the end of the 4th and before the 5th set. Still having a slight lean to my left side but not as pronounced as before. Ideas an suggestions are welcome.

22 April 2014

I was supposed to deadlift with chains and do some RDLs on this day but i woke up with a cranky back and it was not happy at all yesterday. I tried some stretching, rolling, tennis ball, and ibuprofen but nothing seemed to help so i folded the cards and decided to give it some rest

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:17 pm

If you don't surpass a 460 unwrapped squat in July, I will be extremely surprised. I'm maybe 450-ish unwrapped and your submax speed is definitely better than mine at the same sets. One of these days I'll get on dat dere Smolov time and really build my unwrapped squat, but for now, your unwrapped work is looking really good.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:30 pm

My ultimate goal is 451+ simply because that is good progress in 5 months, still obtainable, and overall is a big number. Squat and bench training really took off after february and we will see how things unfold in the upcoming prep cycle

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:16 pm

I would be really surprised if you couldn't hit 450 right now. Just keep hitting the training hard and a good number is waiting for you.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Tue May 27, 2014 1:14 am

Bump.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Wed May 28, 2014 6:07 pm

In short: squat training is going very well, bench is going well but a little slow right now but i expect that to change, deadlift had a couple of hiccups so switched back to sumo

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Wed May 28, 2014 9:30 pm

Moar info from now on, pls.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Wed May 28, 2014 9:40 pm

why

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sat May 31, 2014 8:35 pm

Bench Press

7x 240 @ RPE 9-
3x1x 250
2x1x 260

Bar moved well today. That last single at 260 i became a little gassed and did not move as well as other but still moved decent. Sped up the eccentric and this helped bar speed during the concentric

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Sat May 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Welcome back brah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   

Back to top Go down

Grant Voshell's Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top