Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

David Petersen's Log

Go down 
+7
zchaib
Nathan Poage
Quadfather
Seth
Chris Anderson
Keosawa
David Petersen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 8:21 pm

9/17/13
Squat: 330
215x5
250x5
wrapped
280x5+ did 5. Had a couple more.
First rep of this set was pretty godly. Everything went smooth on the first rep and I felt like I was sitting back into the squat but still allowing enough knee travel to get something out of the wraps. 3rd rep my chest collapsed a bit but corrected it on my 4/5th rep.

Good mornings 95x3x10
Back Raises 3x12 with quarter
Leg Raises 3x12
Hamstring Curls 80x3x12
Leg Ext 40x3x12

Notes: The wraps were fairly loose. 280x5 would have been a really solid unwrapped squat for me (I did 295 for a fairly tough triple). I didn't go balls out trying to get the wraps as tight as I could. I like squatting for reps in wraps and this protocol of using the wraps on my top set will probably be followed till the meet.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 9:42 pm

9/19/13
Bench: 200
130x5
150x5
170x5+ did 8. Paused. 3 rep PR and my old 170x5 was tng.

OH swiss press
65x5x10

Pulldowns 11x3x12
Face pulls 60x3x12

Hammer Curls
20x8-12
Pushdowns
60x70x8-12

Notes: The pauses were fairly short, but I made sure I was letting the bar completely stop on my chest before pressing.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 5:32 pm

9/20/13
250x3
290x3
325x3+ did 10.

Front squats 135x5x5

Hamstring curls
80x3x12
Back raises
+25x3x12
Leg Raises
3x15

Meadow Rows 135x5 185x3x5

Notes: Keeping to my decision not to take anything to failure and try to leave at least one if not two in the tank I cut 325 off after 10. I had one, maybe two more left.

Other Note: I pulled using a normal bar today, and off mats, not the platform. Seemed to not affect the outcome so that is good.

Hips did the typical thing during my AMAP. Kyle noticed that and agreed with what everyone else has said, that my speed looks best in the middle part of the set....
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 12:36 am

So I have some free time, need to write this…By my calculations we are 8 weeks out from the meet. Attempts/goals have been bugging me for a while…I’m going to put it down on paper, and not think about it again until a couple weeks before the meet.

Squat
My best squat to date is a 335x1, which was pretty easy, and with fairly loose wraps. I took a shot at 350 last week and had it but lost my balance. The 335 was a Joker set. Assuming I make it through two more cycles on 5/3/1 my top set will be another 335. The goal here would be to do this for ~3 reps. If I did that I would probably open with something like 325, and go based on how that felt. I may or may not take another shot at 350. If I did it will probably end of Octoberish. If I hit 350 in training I would like to try and go for something in the 360-370 range at the meet.

Bench
So with the return of the narrower grip I have a lot more confidence in my bench. I smoked 185 for an easy double, and really struggled with 185 in the mock meet. Two cycles here puts my top bench attempted in training at 200 before the meet. The bench is 100% going to depend on feel. I feel like if I went into the gym today I could bench 200-205 rather easily. 215-220 is ideally what I would like to shoot for at the meet.

Deadlift
If you listen to my AMAP calculator I should be hitting in the mid 4s…haha…that’s funny…I am confident in my ability to hit a high 3s deadlift at the meet. If I figure out how to make my best pull my first pull I could see myself hitting a low 4s pull. The range is pretty wide here just because I think a lot of my performance on the deadlift will be fixing my technique. In the last couple of weeks I have become more aware of my technique issue, so now it is about spending the time fixing it. Two more cycles would put me at a 360 top set. I would not mind trying a heavy single in the ~375-380 range a few weeks before the meet.

At worst I see myself totaling something in the low-mid 9s..That would probably only require a mid 3s squat, 200 bench, and mid-high 3s deadlift. . To total in the high 9s-break 1000 I would probably need a ~375 squat ~215 bench and a low 4s deadlift. Those numbers are not unrealistic, but they are aggressive for sure.

Numbers are nice to think about, but my goal at this meet is to go 9/9. If that means I total in the low 9s, I’ll be okay with that.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 8:16 am

You killed those deadlifts yesterday.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 1:42 am

9/21/13
Ohp: 140
100x3
110x3
125x3+ did 5

Bench-Speed
6x3 at 70% 140

Notes: I video tapes my benching. Noticed that I loose my arch a bit when I unrack the weight. Also realize what people say about my bar path and how it kinda looks like I am benching in a shirt. I'm not going to mess with anything major because my bench works this way. But if I start to notice a breakdown related to a non-straight bar path I will look here first to fix it.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 6:38 pm

9/23/13
230x3
265x3
Wraps
295x3+ did 4. Left one in the tank.

Good mornings 95x5x10. I dropped the weight here so I could really let myself go as far as possible until I thought I was going to fall, and then explode up.

Sqz work

Notes: My squats felt pretty good in wraps. 295 was something I missed  in the mock meet (without wraps), but I missed it because my chest fell. Cranking out 4 here, and really not losing my chest was pretty great. My descent in the hole could be better. I'm really focusing on being as fast as possible during the entire lift, especially at the top. My balance issues have been near the top of my lift and I figure speed may be my best friend with sub-max weight (it really always is)...

I backed off the intensity of my squeeze work when class started because I knew I might have to condense my sessions slightly. I think I can probably start moving the weight back up somewhat on the accessory work. Still want to play this safe and not kill myself with this stuff.

A while back I asked myself what I should do with my squat training max leading up to the meet. I wasn't sure if I would be able to push a miss off, but still wanted to add weight each week. My options were to wrap on my top sets, or reset my max. I like the idea of doing my top set in wraps. If I get 2 whole cycles of 5/3/1 my squat cycle right before the meet would have me hit 295 on my 5s week and 315 on my 3s week. I doubled 315 really easy in wraps, and could have hit 295 for 5 today if I needed to. I am confident that I won't miss any squats before the meet, and will proceed like I have.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Bench: 200
9/24/13
140x3
160x3
180x3+ did 4. paused
Almost lost the first rep towards my head. Found a better groove on my 3rd and 4th reps

Swiss bar press with 15 on each side. 5x8
Pulldowns 110x3x12
Facepulls 65x3x12

Hammer Curls
Tricep rope pulldowns

Bent over BB rows 135x10 155x8 185x5 135x10

Notes: I think I have a lot more speed in my bench and thus a lot more power. Getting out of my groove towards my head seems to be the problem whenever the weight gets heavy. When I make an effort to think about it, I am usually fine. This could be wrist related, or maybe bar path related.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Your natural bar path might just be slightly back towards the rack, too. This is pretty normal. Then once fatigue sets in, it gets harder to control.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 9:33 pm

9/25/13
Dead 360
270x5
305x3
340x1+ Did 8.

Front Squats 135x5x5

Squeeze stuff

Notes: Felt like I was snapping the bar off the ground better and really breaking the floor with some speed.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 11:39 pm

Just from looking at your log it seems like your pressing movements are programmed pretty close to your true max while your squat and deadlift have plenty of room. Are you planning on upping your training max on those or just sticking with the joker sets up until the meet? Either seems reasonable.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 11:58 pm

Seth wrote:
Just from looking at your log it seems like your pressing movements are programmed pretty close to your true max while your squat and deadlift have plenty of room.  Are you planning on upping your training max on those or just sticking with the joker sets up until the meet?  Either seems reasonable.
I plan to just do the normal progression for the training max at plus 10 lbs every 3-week cycle. I've actually decided to cut out Joker Sets for the majority of my training. ~2-3 weeks out I might take some heavy doubles or a heavy single. Right now I am just trusting the process.

A quick rundown of what I am thinking for these two lifts.
I can for sure get 2 additional full cycles in before the meet.
For the deadlift that means I would pull 360 in training. Given I just did 340 for 8, I am thinking 360 might be a good opener. My first reps are a struggle bus sometimes. As I get closer to 360 I'll get a good idea of how something close to my max feels.

For my squat I would hit 335 in training. This is probably a tad higher than I anticipate to open on the squat. Then again depending on how 335 feels, who knows. I feel better and better each week in wraps.

More important than my results in this meet, is the experience. Whatever total I do end up hitting won't matter for long. I'll be able to smash my PRs a few weeks after the meet. My mindset has really changed the last couple of weeks. I want to go 9/9, I want to enjoy myself, and I want to learn from this meet as much as I can.

Nice PR on the bench by the way.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 1:08 am

Thats the right mindset to go in with. Noones setting a world record at their first meet anyways. The better your first meet is the more fired up you will be afterwards! And thanks, I was pretty pumped. Hopefully things keep going up.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 2:27 am

9/26/13
245x5
280x3
Wraps
315x1+ Did 2.

Notes:
280 felt heavier than it should have. Going into the session I wanted 315 for a triple. I might have had it, but wanted to stay safe. I wasn't suppose to train today. And if I did today was suppose to press, I deadlifted yesterday...I just really wanted to squat...I know better then to do stuff like this. I ended up missing my goal, which should have been easily attainable, and got about half the work in I wanted to....

Snagged a video. First time every video taping myself so everything is pretty much wrong.
If someone could reccomend some easy to use software to cut out parts of videos I don't want, and also mute the sound (or maybe do voice stuff)....I used a youtube track for this video, it fits so nicely.

Lift starts around 4:30
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 2:57 am

Youtube has a video editing tool that you can use to trim your videos. It's what I use.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 10:56 am

Sorry to barge in, and I don't know what your program calls for, but if you're goal is working up to a max set -- 315x3 in this case, maybe 280x3 isn't a good idea as your last warm up. Maybe singles all the way up from 225 adding 20lbs? How much do you get out of the wraps? Is 315 w/ wraps harder than 280 with out them? Since the wraps change the exercise it seems like a good idea to do your last warm ups with wraps so it's not a surprise to your body.

Genuinely curious as I've never used wraps and I'm not sure my current squat numbers warrant their use. I'm also pretty hesitant because I'm wondering if they aren't bad for the knee joint. Stands to reason that they might mess with patellar tracking and the increased pressure on the joint capsule may damage the articular surfaces, delaminating cartilage, risking menisci tears.

Just my 2 cents in case you wanted it Smile
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 12:15 pm

Will Diebolt wrote:
Sorry to barge in, and I don't know what your program calls for, but if you're goal is working up to a max set -- 315x3 in this case, maybe 280x3 isn't a good idea as your last warm up. Maybe singles all the way up from 225 adding 20lbs? How much do you get out of the wraps? Is 315 w/ wraps harder than 280 with out them? Since the wraps change the exercise it seems like a good idea to do your last warm ups with wraps so it's not a surprise to your body.

Genuinely curious as I've never used wraps and I'm not sure my current squat numbers warrant their use. I'm also pretty hesitant because I'm wondering if they aren't bad for the knee joint. Stands to reason that they might mess with patellar tracking and the increased pressure on the joint capsule may damage the articular surfaces, delaminating cartilage, risking menisci tears.

He is running 5/3/1. It required 5 reps, then 3, then 1+ for this week. Is that right, Dave?
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 6:57 pm

Will Diebolt wrote:

What Grant said above is correct. 245/280 were both working sets. I don't write in my warm ups as they vary day to day, and 100% depend on how I feel that day. I do not like to lock myself into certain jumps. On that day the program called for a set of 5 at 75% a set of 3 at 85% and a single (more if it is there) at 95%. This is also based off of a training max, so I'm not actually moving 90%+ very often, if at all.

On wraps--
Basically, it is a learning process for me. I keep the wraps fairly, well, not tight. When Kyle went real tight on my wraps one day I lost balance and had to dump the weight (A 335 joker set I believe, which I came back and nailed at my home gym a week later in wraps). I'm not ready to say it was because of the wraps. It was only the second time squatting at the CRWC and the bars are different, and the bar was causing balance issues the entire session. As you say, the wraps do change the movement, so I won't rule out that the wraps caused the balance issue. I also agree that getting one set in before I wrap wouldn't be a bad idea by any means. The reason I did not on that day is I feel like I did not need a practice set with wraps. This might change once I start operating closer to a true max.

I've thought about wrapping earlier (or maybe picking days where I do all 3 working sets in wraps) and I think I will wrap more once the weight starts to get heavier. At my home gym I have never had any issue with balance. Right now I think my plan is to just use wraps on my top set, and if I feel like I need extra practice (or if I feel like I might miss a programmed lift) I will wrap them.

I don't really know the science behind the wraps, and if they open up more space for injury or not. My thought on the matter is everything we do once we step in the gym puts us at risk for injury. Some things more than others. It seems to me that a large number of people have trained for a lengthy amount of time using knee wraps, and have not had an injury occur.

As far as the strength question, or, does someone have to attain a level of strength before wrapping. I honestly have no idea.

Feel free to drop in whenever and share. I'm all about getting more opinions about my training. I'm so new to this. At the very least it gets me thinking about my training, and your comments help me question my own training/philosophy.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 7:13 pm

9/30/2013
Deads: 370
240x5
275x5
315x5+ did 13. Two rep PR. With a 50/50 rep in the tank.

P-Rows
135x3x8

Sqz

Notes:

Sorry I've been MIA. Last Wednesday I got some pretty terrible news, and although last Thursday was a fine training day, the events wore on me. I needed a few days to get right, both mentally, and physically. I don't really do deloads, or prescribed days off. I take them when I need them. I know when I need to just suck it up and go in, this weekend was not one of these times. In the long run this is good. I got refocused, and am pretty much ready to alpha mode till the meet.

Today was good. I can notice a difference in my speed earlier in my heavy sets. Starting to find some speed early in the set. I think this saved me some energy and allowed me to attain a pretty easy two rep PR. I also wore my belt slightly higher, which in turn, forced me to set-up how I should be (hips not so low).
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 10:47 pm

10/2/2013
Squat 340
225x5
255x5
Wraps (loose)
290x5. Left one in the tank. My 5th rep actually felt the best as far as the lack of technical breakdown.

Good Mornings
105x5x5
Seated Hamstring Curls
100x3x12

Back Raises
3x12 w/ quater
Leg Raises
3x12

Notes:
Squat getting closer to stalling. Like I've said I'm just going to try and push it up to the meet and then reset my training max based on my results. The highest squat I will hit for a set of 5 would be 305 if I get to a 360 training max. I'm not super concerned with missing anything on my 3s week, if I miss it will be on one of the 5s week.
I feel like I'm leaving a little bit of power out there. Some reps just feel ridiculously easy when I remember to do certain cues. Getting the most out of my squat is just going to be able nailing down proper technique, obviously...
The 290 set actually felt easier than I thought it was going to be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 3:41 am

Cool thanks for the write up re. wraps. Sucks about the shit. Life is crappy/chaotic/overwhelming sometimes.

Wondering what your intention is in doing leg curls, back extensions, and good mornings all together as assistance exercises and if the back extensions and GMs hit your hams pretty heavy or some other part?

Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 10:04 pm

Will Diebolt wrote:
Cool thanks for the write up re. wraps. Sucks about the shit. Life is crappy/chaotic/overwhelming sometimes.

Wondering what your intention is in doing leg curls, back extensions, and good mornings all together as assistance exercises and if the back extensions and GMs hit your hams pretty heavy or some other part?

I actually thought about that during the session. That being the amount of work I put on my hamstrings. I keep the legs curls and back extensions very light. The good mornings I wouldn't mind working up to some heavy stuff, but I always keep the "bodybuilding" type work very light.

Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 10:11 pm

10/3/13
OHP: 145
95x5
110x5
125x5. Did 5.

Heavy Bench
bar
95x5
125x3
145x2
165x2
185x2

Notes:
So car troubles have meant this week has been a little hectic. I've been eating weird, and not enough as I should be, which is probably why I also feel like shit. I think this surfaced today. Not a bad session, but not ideal. I also was a little rushed as I had to get to work, and the extra time it takes me to get to the gym/campus/work gives me very free time. Hopefully this gets resolved this weekend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 5:18 am

David Petersen wrote:
Will Diebolt wrote:

I actually thought about that during the session. That being the amount of work I put on my hamstrings. I keep the legs curls and back extensions very light. The good mornings I wouldn't mind working up to some heavy stuff, but I always keep the "bodybuilding" type work very light.

Nothing wrong with bodybuilding IMO just wondering if you think your hams are a big weakness. I like to think of training as functional or structural. There is a definite and unique morphology/physical appearance for high level athletes in their respective sports. There's a saying in track and field, "if it looks right, it flies right". Whatever the sport it makes sense to try and achieve that 'look'.

I can definitely say that hamstring curls will blow up your hamstrings. I did GHRs when I couldn't really do much else and my hamstrings/adductors hypertrophied a lot. I actually got stretch marks on the inside of my legs. No idea if it will help your lifts. I've heard that leg curls don't carry over too much but I think it would depend on the circumstances entirely.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 7:26 pm

10/5/13
Deads 370
260x3
300x3
335x3+ did 10
Joker
365x1-good speed, a lot easier than I thought it would be. I broke the floor a little slow but after maybe 2 inches I got speed and locked it out easy.
I put 405 on the bar but talked myself out of it.

Notes
Warm ups moved real fast. 260 and 300 were quick. The first couple of reps at 335 felt a lot better than they usually do for an AMAP. I was thinking 5-8 range but again I surprised myself. Cut it off with one maybe a 50/50 second rep left in the tank.

365 moved a little slow off the floor, but I stuck with it and it really was an easy rep. I think my set up still isn't getting me the most bang for my buck but I am doing better. I'm also wearing my belt a little bit higher on my waist which helps me not sit so far back into my start up position.

I talked myself out of 405. 365 was an easy 15 lb PR, and 335 was also a a PR. I've done 325x10. I was pretty unsure about 405 anyways and figured I only risk missing it and getting pissed. The point of these Joker sets for the deadlift are just to get me to feel some heavier weight and hopefully work on pulling as hard as I can with max weight/not quitting on a lift I could get. No sense in potentially turning a really good day into one I get on myself about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Petersen's Log
Page 9 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: