Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

David Petersen's Log

Go down 
+7
zchaib
Nathan Poage
Quadfather
Seth
Chris Anderson
Keosawa
David Petersen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 10:38 pm

7/11
and the last few days

Went in and rolled w/ some PVC. Did some banded dynamic work. Did some plyo work Monday but kept it pretty limited....Eating my heart out, drinking lots of water, and lots of chocolate milk....A little bit of really light squeeze work on my arms and around my neck...Some BW stuff as well

Not having something heavy in my hands for this long is driving me insane...I'm boucning off the walls...

I had a chat with a few guys about how I should do Sat...Still not sure...The main question is if I should treat it like a real meet and only take 3 attempts? Or just plan some attempts but don't limit myself to 3 just in case I feel like I have more.

Any input?

Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 8:08 pm

Mock Meet Attempts—
Squat—280, 300 (miss), 300, 315 20#PR

Bench—185, 195 10#PR, 200 (miss)

Deadlift 315, 350 5#PR, 375 (miss), 375 (miss)

I want to thank Monty a ton for coming and doing this test day with me. Plate loading, helping me get pumped up, giving me awesome advice on the bench, and general PL talk. It was awesome having you in the gym.

Squat:
My squat is all mental/technical right now. I went with a light opener to build confidence.

280 was 15# under a gym PR and I felt like this would be a good way to build confidence. The goal here was 315 the whole time and I planned my attempts to accomplish that. 280 felt good. My first crack at 300 was all technical failure. I walked it out, right as I dropped into the hole I knew it wasn’t coming up. I squatted way to vertical. Stapled. Fixed this and smoked 300 on take 2…

315…Best feeling rep of the day. I got out of the hole and stalled right where this weight crushed me two weeks ago. I kept my chest up and grinded it out.

Bench:
Opened with what was a gym PR. Monty showed me what an actual competition pause looked like during my warm ups. I did this (or tried) for all my attempts.  Really thankful he showed me what a competition pause looks like. 185 was smooth although not as fast as I would have liked. I took a somewhat risky second but got it. The bar was somewhat uneven on the lockout. I didn’t latter it up, but it wasn’t straight. I thought about not taking a 3rd because I didn’t think I had anything left. I decided to go for 200. Misgroove right off the chest, bar went vertical and Monty had to save me.

Deadlift:
Deadlift is similar to the squat in that it is all about my approach to the bar. I usually fail by just not getting it off the floor. I opened with something I knew I could pull fast off the floor to build confidence.

315—felt like it should…

350 was just to secure a PR so I could go for the 375 I wanted. Felt slow off the floor, felt my back round, and chest dropped. Still managed to get it locked out.

So I went for broke on 375…Got it off the floor but it wasn’t going anywhere after about 2 inches….I took a second attempt, which in hindsight was stupid. Same result

Overall:
I’m pleased with my results, but of course wishing I could do more. Keeping things in perspective, not getting ahead of myself, and realizing that progress will continue to come.

So what’s this all look like “in perspective”…

November 12’ test days. All lifts done on separate days.
Squat: 235
Bench: 155 (not paused)
Dead: 265

Total: 655

Today’s total: 860

205# on my total in ~8 months of training (I was forced to take a month off late April/early May). Keep these newb gainz coming please.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Good stuff man. Congrats on the PRs. A lot of people don't really know what a paused bench looks like, not your typical gym bench. It's good your paused numbers were still pretty close to your touch n go numbers. I know I along with others on the team have started pausing all my bench reps and it has helped tremendously with consistency and explosiveness. Just some food for thought as you start your next cycle. Again, congrats on the great day.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Seth wrote:
Good stuff man. Congrats on the PRs. A lot of people don't really know what a paused bench looks like, not your typical gym bench. It's good your paused numbers were still pretty close to your touch n go numbers. I know I along with others on the team have started pausing all my bench reps and it has helped tremendously with consistency and explosiveness. Just some food for thought as you start your next cycle. Again, congrats on the great day.

Thank You. I was lucky to have Monty show me the way as far as a paused bench goes. All my paused bench up until that point I would let the bar sink into my chest which he informed me would get me a red light. I really am looking forward to doing more correct paused work in the future.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Looks like you had a pretty good showing at the mock meet, man. 1000 isn't going to be too far away.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 12:54 am

Turns out that 90% of the mock meet results equate to being the same training weight I did the cycle before my mock meet. Pretty happy about this. I'll spend one month doing weights I've already done, and then be progressing to bigger weights.

At the advice of Vincent Dizenzo I am taking my OHP training weight down to 80% of my expected 1RM. I will also be adding a little bit of volume. This should pay off in my bench as I am having lockout issues. Hopefully the extra volume OHPing will get me those tricep gainz.

I went back and checked out the dates, and it turned out I started the 5/3/1 program December 10th of 2012. I took May off from training for personal reasons. So 7 months of training yielded me 205# on my total. The SPF meet is going to be in the middle of February, which is 7 months if I am counting right. 860+205 is 1065, that would be awesome. I really don't see any reason I can't do it. I was dealing with a lot of personal shit over the last 8 months, and on several occasions put training on the backburner. That's done. If I had to set a goal? Let's put more than 200# on my total in the next 7 months!

Cycle 1 Week 1
7/15/13
Deadlift: 320
Warm ups-Reset after each rep. Really focused on CAT
135x5
155x3
185x2x1
208x5
240x5
275x5+ did 10

Safety Bar Squat
135, 160, 185x5

Squeeze work
Ham Curls 80x3x12
Back Raises BWx3x15

SBS will be the only supplemental movement I am not going to change. My squat is being held back by my inability to keep my chest up when the weight gets heavy...My SBS 1RM is way lower than my straight bar squat....SBS seems like it is a great way to help overcome this. I'll take weight off the bar if I find my chest collapsing even if I could still get it up.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 11:05 am

Cycle 1 Week 1
7/16/13
OHP: 120
85x5
95x5
1x105x5
2x95x5
Floor Press 95x5 135x3x5
Pulldown 3x110x12
SSB Upper Back Goodmornings 5x15 just the bar.
Biceps/Triceps just got a pumpz
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Cycle 1 Week 1
7/17/13
Squat: 290
190x5
220x5
245x5+ did 6 Squat feels and looks good. Brian wants to see me sit back a little more and drop the bar a bit…I’ve made sort of a calculated decision here. I keep my arms really narrow on the bar, which torques the shoulder but REALLY helps me keep my upper back tight. I don’t think the bar can go any lower without my grip coming out. I also don’t see myself sitting back any further without having to worry about COG/balance issues (with the bar where it is). If I change this it will be slowly.

Talked with Brian so much I ended up missing accessory work because I had to get to work work. Ended up being okay. We talked about a lot of stuff: My mock meet results, programming, CUBE, plans, goals, meet plans, the Iowa Club, my weight, ect…Good day, it was nice having a more laid back day in the gym as this is 3 days in a row half a week away from my mock meet…Haha.

Thinking about just front squatting instead of SBS on my deadlift day.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 6:34 pm

It looks like you're coasting through training smoothly after your mock meet. 1065 in Feb. should be very attainable. Where is this meet being held?
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 6:48 pm

KKeough wrote:
It looks like you're coasting through training smoothly after your mock meet. 1065 in Feb. should be very attainable. Where is this meet being held?

Strong Gym in Springfield, MO.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 6:50 pm

That should be a good meet. Matt Reynolds' competition article was the reason I did my first meet.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/competition_reynolds.pdf
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 7:00 pm

February already seems too far away, and that article made it seem like it is farther, ahh. What does the Club teams schedule usually look like fall semester as far as meet(s) that most of the active competitors do?
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Normally it would be a regional nasa meet around the end of october but it's hard to say now.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Here's what I know of, just in the state of Iowa:

NASA will hold Iowa Regionals in late October in Des Moines.

UPA will hold a meet in Dubuque on Nov. 2ish.

USAPL may or may not be putting on a meet on October 12th.

Ryan Irwin may or may not also be putting on a meet at that time, or he might be running said USAPL meet.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 7:42 pm

UPA meet is November 16-17. If others are going, I would be interested in making that my fall meet.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 7:50 pm

Seth wrote:
UPA meet is November 16-17. If others are going, I would be interested in making that my fall meet.

Babyeater is competing. I've overstayed my welcome at NASA, apparently, so if I do a November meet (I want to, but I might just go and manage her while preparing for RUM), it'll be in UPA.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 8:06 pm

I still need to do a qualifying 165 total for RUM and I know I won't be responsible around Halloween because it's Halloween and my birthday, so it will probably be usapl for me.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
I still need to do a qualifying 165 total for RUM and I know I won't be responsible around Halloween because it's Halloween and my birthday, so it will probably be usapl for me.

Just so you know, the qualifying total for next year is 1289; they changed them recently. And the application forms come out in November, so it would be good to have a total before then; it could fill quickly, particularly at 165, where a lot of guys will opt to return.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Seth wrote:

this piques my interests Shocked
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:05 pm

If I do 14, I might wait until February and just handle in November. That obviously is still up in the air.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:18 pm

KKeough wrote:
If I do 14, I might wait until February and just handle in November. That obviously is still up in the air.

On that note. Good luck this weekend. Sounds like it is going to be an exciting opportunity for you.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:20 pm

Allprocro wrote:
KKeough wrote:

On that note. Good luck this weekend. Sounds like it is going to be an exciting opportunity for you.

Thanks brah. I'll try not to die.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:55 pm

KKeough wrote:
Allprocro wrote:
KKeough wrote:

Thanks brah. I'll try not to die.

Where is your weight at?
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 11:04 pm

7/18/13
Bench: 180
Get warm
120x5
135x5
155x5+ Did 8.

Close Gripx5 95x5 115x2x5
Lats 100x3x15
Did some #teamawful seated upper back good mornings with the SSB. Took me like 3 sets to figure out I should just put a bench in the cage instead of trying to do them on the bench press bench... I think I like standing more even if it takes more focus to keep the hips from moving.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Cycle 1 Week 2
7/20/13
Deadlift: 320
Did a bajilion sets with the bar
135x5
160x3x1
185x1
225x3
Belt
255x3
290x3+ did 11. 3 rep PR. Three of the other guys were there. They were on speed dead day. They pulled 12xdoubles...First guy stepped off the platform, second guy on, he went off, third guy on. They did this 12 times without stopping. Kinda fired me up..Anyways, I pulled off the padded floor and not the platform for the first time in pretty much ever. I didn't think much of it, and I didn't notice any difference. I just made extra sure I wasn't bouncing the weight off the floor.
Front squats
warm up
135 for 5 sets of 6

Hamstrings 80x3x12
Back raises bwx15--red band and quarter 3x12
Leg Raises 3x12
Notes--I knew the front squats were going to not feel good on my wrist. So I used straps as handles and that seemed to work out okay. I kept the weight low and really focused on keeping my back tight the whole time. I'll bump up the weight and keep going until I find my back start to cave.
Days like these are awesome, and it reminds me how lucky I am to be part of a group of guys who are willing to help out someone that is terrible at this sport.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Petersen's Log
Page 2 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: