265x8
Pause squats beltless
235x3x5

Leg Curls
3x15
Leg Ext
3x15

Notes
I was kinda lethargic for some reason today. The weight was moving alright, but I just felt like I wasn't really pushing myself that hard...It was weird...Anyways after 3x5 with 265 I actually did one of my pause squat sets...I decided that I needed to get myself amped up for something...So I put 265 back on the bar and did an AMRAP. RPE was probably a 9. At the end I was just tanked. I already already done 30 reps working reps when I started the AMRAP so by the end I was just fried.

Dropped back down to 235 and did two more pause sets.

I'm struggling getting my glutes and hips into my squat. The pause squats really bring this out. I can feel the reps that I really drive home and how faster they are then the ones I don't... Might investigate some cues to work on this...

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:57 am

bee tee dubs on my first cheat day, we are getting sushi.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:30 pm

So break is great but I think I need to be more active...or find stuff to do to keep me moving....My knees and ankle are popping when I warm up and even on working sets and both calf muscles are starting to get sore....I think the lack of walking around and jazz is not so healthy...I might add some walking to my training sessions to help..

also I need to stop not video taping myself...Use my phone or use the camera at 319....My squats are feeling a little tougher then I would want...This could be one of a variety of things...1) I'm just not being patient. I'm working around 265-275 on my top sets right now, which is when I started wrapping pre-meet..So this should feel pretty tough for reps...Also these sets are more volume at this weight then I have ever done, it will take me some time to get use to it... 2) My form is breaking down...Maybe...Why I need to video tape... 3) Different training environment setting in...It could be that training with Brian really helped, he would yell out cues, and keep me focused...not having that makes me a little undisciplined during my sets...At the CRWC I don't really have that, I could feel myself getting sloppy on some sets (point 2) and not treating each rep with the importance is deserves...

None of these are mutually exclusive..I think it is a bit of everything working together... I think if I am going to train at the CRWC from now on I want to squat with someone. I want that person to cue me through the lift, and I want them to hold me accountable when it looks like I am not working to finish a set or rep the right way...There is so much happening during that lift I need someone there to keep me honest.... In the end it is my responsibility to holy myself accountable..But this is a start..

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:49 pm

1/7/14
Bench 200
130x5
150x5
170x5

Feet Up Bench

135x5x6

Lat Pulldown

3x12

Shoulder Press (machine)

3x12

Notes

My bench is feeling pretty okay. I feel myself having an easier time staying in my groove, and I am starting to be able to focus on other parts of my bench more like leg drive or keeping my traps dug into the bar. It is a work in proccess but it is coming toghether and that hopefully means my bench will continue to progress.

Feet Up benching felt pretty strong. I wasn't able to sustain 135 for sets of 5 the last time I did feet up benching, this time I was able to sustain it for sets of 6... I think I am just more confident with it now. I'm hoping a variety of things will be helped by the feet up benching...Maybe the biggest one is a longer ROM and just mentally that will hepl me as I increase the weight...The thought being that when I arch I have less bar travel.

Shoulder pressing on the machine did not aggravatie my wrist at all. It was really light, but I think I will stick with the machine until I do some overhead pressing with a barbell.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:47 pm

1/8/2014
Deadlift 380
265x3
305x3
340x3x3
340x2 failed AMRAP
340x9 RPE 9

So my light working sets were pretty quick. I pulled 305 really fast, which is nice. The bar speed on 340 was not bad at all. When I really forced myself to focus on getting some drive with my legs I could tell the bar came off the ground and got to me knees faster.... I don't know if there is a cue for this but just thinking about pushing with my legs helps. I don't really like the "squat the weight up" cue, but just thinking push with legs helps.

So 340x2..This was suppose to be my AMRAP...After I locked out my second rep a guy from inside the squat cage tried to sneak around the front of my bar and hit the front of my plates...It didn't knock me off balance but mentally I was fucked..I threw the bar down and just mean mugged the shit out of him...I then decided I have zero fucking care about the CRWC anymore. If I need to yell and scream and celebrate a PR at the end of a set, I'm not doing it...I don''t care if it is rude and annoying is fuck because time and time again I have seen people not only be rude and annoying but put the safety of others at risk...At least me yelling like an idiot doesn't fucking do that...

Anyways I got fucking loud for my second go at the AMRAP and pulled a PR... My first rep was ridiculously fast, I was way surprised...So I guess I need to get more pissed off when I deadlift...

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:14 pm

David Petersen wrote:
I guess I need to get more pissed off when I deadlift...

This is key.

Some asshole walked right next to my bar right as I was setting up the last time I pulled. I was ready to flip some shit on him. I give zero fucks and I will go out of my way to publicly embarrass the guy and make sure everybody knows that this person has no clue about gym etiquette.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:28 pm

1/10/14
Heavy bench up to around 200
95x5
135x3
155x1
175x1
185x1
190x1
195x1
200x1
205x2x0

Notes...So I ended up doing a lot of singles today. 200 felt really good, and I decided to go to 205 and see how that went...The first attempt felt really good to my chest and came off my chest pretty quick, I let the bar dip a little on the right side and the plates slide, once that happened I had no chance. I totally spaced on the clips and forgot about them...It felt good enough I really thought I would get it pretty easily on the second attempt. But I didn't. Got a little bit off my chest and nothing.

I'm not too worried about this.. I know that bringing my arch down a bit is going to mean sacrificing some weight in the short-term. But hopefully allow me to make more gains because I can train with more volume. 200 felt good, and 205 sorta got in my head after the plates slid...So this isn't something I am going to over-think or change anything as a result of.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:35 pm

If 200 went as well as you said, then 205 should not be a problem. You basically did 5-10lb jumps over 6 sets. I doubt these were planned sets but with a bit of planning, 205+ is there.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:08 am

Brometheus wrote:
If 200 went as well as you said, then 205 should not be a problem. You basically did 5-10lb jumps over 6 sets. I doubt these were planned sets but with a bit of planning, 205+ is there.

Yes, the plan here was not to work up to a max, but to do a bunch of heavy singles. 200 went well enough I thought 205 would be there... O well, I'll play it safer next time.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:16 am

1/11/14
Squat 310
215x3
250x3
290x3x3
290x5
Pause Squats
250x4x3

Leg Curls
4 sets
Leg Ext
3 sets

Elevated planks
3x45-one minute holds

Notes: I was suppose to do 280, I misloaded and didn't realize it till I was taking the weight off...Whoops...These felt good though. A couple reps I felt my left knee coming in, but I adjusted accordingly and made an effort to push out. When I get tired, and the reps get hard I turn into a little bit of a good morning squat. Not too bad. Low back was a little tight on the latter sets just due to my butt sticking out when I'm trying to drive up harder weights... Got VIDEO! And will have video for a while, as I got a camera. Also I am going to start tracking my time on reps a lot more... I wanted to get my depth really good this session, so that's why the camera is where it is.

Rep Speed 290
1st set

2nd set

3rd set

4th set

My return to speed for my last set was probably me forcing the issue a little more because I wanted to do a somewhat close to max set. This just means I can be faster on all the previous sets and not let myself get lazy on the sets between my first and last.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:05 am

1/13/14
Bench 200
140x3
160x3
180x2x3
180x4 command

Feet up
155x2x3
155x2

Squeeze work
Hammer Curls
3x12
One arm tricep pull downs
2x15

Lat Pulldowns
Pyramid up and down

Dumbbell Bench
40x3x12

Rep Speed 180
1st set

2nd set

3rd set commands

Notes:
The bar didn't feel like it was moving overly fast today. My top set felt a lot better, but I also was forcing leg drive a little at the expense of my butt maybe coming off the bench. I could feel it come up for a split second but wasn't sure if it was everything. I'll start video taping from the direct side and maybe throw my singlet on so I can see for sure. That is probably why my numbers are a lot faster on my top amrap.

A couple of things from the video. 1) I need to work on keeping tight. I could see my chest drop at various points during the lift sometimes on the unrack and other times bringing it to my chest. 2) Figure out how to kick leg drive with my butt coming up. I've heard feet out wider drives the hips down into the bench. So I might try that.

The press commands were about as long as my pauses on the second set. My first set at 180 was more like touch and go. So I might want to work on forcing those to be paused. Also warming up I need to be better about pausing my reps.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:41 am

Moving your feet will help keep your butt down, definitely. Forcing yourself into a bigger arch will also help keep you butt down but at the expense of your leg drive. Another idea i picked up, from louie simmons i believe, is to squeeze the bench with your thighs; this will allow you keep the same set up, keep your glutes flexed, and prevent you from loosing position aka butt-rising up. Just a couple of ideas

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:45 am

These are some good points.

The arch and foot location are related and I will probably leave alone for a while just because I want to see if where I am right now is sustainable with my low back. Also yeah I noticed that when my feet were tucked more it was way harder to get leg drive... I like this thighs cue though. I need to remember this, and try to do this in my next bench session.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:51 am

Yes ive been using it since i changed to a toes up stance. My feet are narrow so i primarily used it to give me some extra stability.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:45 pm

1/4/2014
Deadlift 380
285x5
325x3
365x5x1 done ~ 5 minutes of rest

Singles!!!

So I misloaded again...This time in worse fashion. It was suppose to be 360 and I put an extra 5 on the right side of the bar for some reason and didn't notice until I unloaded the bar. Anyways, this oddly lifted 365 is about 91% of what I did at the meet in November. I haven't looked at the vids yet on coaches eye but most seem to me moving between 3-3.5 seconds. The second single is probably slower. After I started the camera I got this cramp in my stomach, but thought I would be okay. It really slowed the rep down. Sooo I went and used the bathroom and my 3rd single was much much better. Other than that these reps felt good, and I am becoming more comfortable with heavy stuff moving slower despite trying to move it as fast as I can. This is the first time I have seen myself deadlift and it is nice to know that there are no major technical breakdowns. My hips come up every so slightly as I snap at the bar but it isn't really that bad at all. I need to remember to sit back on my heels and let my legs do some work off the floor. Obviously I am happy with my lockout, Once my hips start moving forward the weight speeds up. I'm not going to mess with my set up to try and get faster off the floor. Just get stronger. Remember to get back on my heels so my hammys can do work.

Vid and times to come

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:08 pm

O and I made friends with a couple of the weightlifting guys. Adam and Sayain?

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:02 am

Do you mean saiyan? He was super in DBZ.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:41 am

and speeds

Rep Speed 365
1st set

2nd set

3rd set

4th set

5th set

I'm having trouble pin pointing what was better about the first and third set. I know I'm not totally in the video and will work on where the camera is from now on. It looks like maybe my hips are moving more fluidly with the bar as in some of the slower reps it looks like I don't really get my hips moving until the very end of the rep. I pulled 403 in 3.3 seconds, this is 91% of that. I think for sure the first and third sets are on par with that. Obviously less the 2, 4, 5. Maybe I was getting tired for the last two sets. The second set was slow because of the stomach cramp. I'm happy though that I pulled two fast reps. It is much better than before when every first rep was terrible. I'll probably do some more single for or at the very least pay very close attention to my first rep speed. If I notice my form varying too much from one rep to another I may start changing up what I am doing. We'll see. I thought my reps all were between 3-3.5 and the second set closer to four. Seeing that I had some mid 2s was hot.

Also noticing that the bar rolls off my shins a bit right after the roll as I am pulling the slack out of the bar. Maybe means no rolling or just pay attention where the bar settles and roll to there then pull.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:23 am

1/15/2014
Bench Rep Day
165x6x4

Snatch Grip Pendlay Rows
135x5x5

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:08 am

My llaptop is not working ATM so this will be short.

1/17/14
Squat 310
235x5
265x3
295x7x1
295x2x3
295x4

Leg curls
4 sets
Leg ext
4sets

Planks
3 hold for non death max time
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:41 am

Rep Speed Squat 295 1/17/14
Set 1

Set 2

Set 3

Set 4

Set 5

Set 6

Set 7

Set 8

Got the laptop up again.

Okay major points from this squat session is being tight. Low back, upper back, and belly. Need to make it tight. I remember some reps being better than others cause I focused being tight. I didn't get the second triple or the x4 on camera but the first rep of the x4 I remember it felt really fast and Poage said it looked good and it looked like I was tight. Getting the elbows locked in, the lats, squeezing the bar. Need to force this in training cause it will produce better reps.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:13 pm

1/21/2014
Bench 200
150x5
170x3
190x4x1
190x3

Feet up
105x3x8

Hammer Curls

3 Sets

Rope pulldowns

3 sets

Notes: My first single at 190 was slow. On the second one I didn't worry about my butt coming up and got good drive off the bench. So on the 3/4th and my AMRAP I focused on drive and keeping my butt down. That worked well. I always seem to have good drive off my chest but at a certian point (usually my top set). It gets slowin a hurry. So I was happy I fixed that. My speed on my second rep and on was good.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:39 pm

1/22/2014
Deadlift 390
255x5
295x5
330x2x5
365x1

Beltless pause squats
225x5x3

Speed felt good. It is really nice to start seeing faster reps from the get go. 330 has never felt this easy. I really made an effort to push thru my heels. I think this helped. I actually had some issues clearly my knees because I was pulling even harder back when I got on my heels. This might mean I need to set up with my hips lower. Not totally sure. Taking in a big breath and getting tight from the waist down also was something I focused on. My deadlift is slowly getting better in terms of more powerful first reps. I almost pulled 405... But I figure to leave it out there. Worst case scenario is a miss it for an unknown reason and then freak out and get unsatisfied with the progress I have made.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:36 pm

1/24/2014
Bench Heavy Day
something in kgsx5
something in kgsx3
something in kgsx1
198x1
209x1
~225x3x0

It was kinda hectic in the room and I felt like I wouldn't have a very good structured workout anyways so I maxed out. 209 moved really fast, a tiny misgroove at the top but once it fell back in its groove it was an easy lockout.
Kevin saved me 3 times. No more of this stuff till my next meet.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:30 pm

1/25/2014
210x5
240x5
275x1 lost balance
275x4x5

Pause Squats
240x2x3

Leg ext
4 sets
Leg curls
Pyramid up and down
Elevated planks
4 holds for 60 seconds

275-So on my first set I lost my balance. I warmed up with and used a little bit of a different grip. Further out and I thought that it was tighter. Turned out it didn't create a stable shelf and things fell apart on that set. I walked it in after that first rep and went back to my old grip. I did one slow set at 275 and then got a little fired up and cranked out 3 much better sets. They were done pretty quick so I was pretty tired. I didn't have much gas for pause squats after 36 working reps. Forgot my memory card in my laptop so couldn't record anything today.
The squats felt good. I have this weird issue though. When I am not fatigued and really focused on keeping myself upright I squat slower. I feel like I don't have as much hip drive when I do that. To be honest I don't have bad form when I'm not 100% upright, but it isn't "perfect form"... At least if you ask some people. When I drive with my hips I am way faster but also less upright. My chest inevitably starts to drop a little on really hard reps. Just something for me to think about.
Edited**
Cause I said some bad things.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   

Back to top Go down

David Petersen's Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 14 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next