275x3
315x3
350x3
375x1
350x2x3
350x5

Squat--Beltless
225x5x5
Bar moved pretty good. 350 the first set was a breeze and 375 also moved really well. Had some issues on the backdown sets with the bar coming up weird but it was okay.
Anyways...Video and times coming.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:33 pm

Rep Speed for 350 deadlift last set

Pretty stellar speed. It was my last set so there were working reps like 17-21 on the deadlift but I took my time today so I don't think I was that fatigued for this set.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:47 pm

1/29/2014
Bench 205
145x3
165x3
185x3+. Did 5 paused. RPE 9
Flat Back
135x3x8 TnG
Repped out 225 shrugs.. Did like 50 or 60 and totally fucked my lower back. This was probably the stupidest thing I have ever done.

Hammer Curls
3 setsx12-15
Rope pulldowns
3 setsx15

Face pulls
2x15
Neutral Grip Pulldowns
2x15

Notes: I had to go straight to work and my low back is like fuck you right now. Will ice when get home and hoping that this will not be a big issue. I have never really done BB shrugs before this, so that was dumb...

185x5 paused ties a rep PR. These were also really good reps. The third rep crushed my chest down a little bit, and that might have cost me another rep because that rep ended up being pretty slow. Either way I am happy with this. Also on my 5/3/1 bench days I am going to start just doing a straight AMRAP on my top set and not do the extra sets. This is something I can get motivated for and keeps training interesting. This is key for bench for me anyways. Also I think with the second bench day and the flat back backoff sets I should be okay with volume. The thought is that I made a lot of progress with my bench just doing the AMRAP, so why not stick with that.

Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:11 pm

I found that just hitting the AMRAP on bench and OHP had my pressing movements making good progress during the summer. Give it a shot, hit some PRs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:12 pm

Seth wrote:
I found that just hitting the AMRAP on bench and OHP had my pressing movements making good progress during the summer.  Give it a shot, hit some PRs.

Negged for offering training advice before RSVPing. What do you think goes on here?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:23 pm

Bro, slow your role, bro.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:59 pm

1/30/2014
Squat 320
225x3
255x3
290x3+ did 5

Pause Squats
255x3

Notes: really short day today.  My ankles have been bugging me for a while but today was really bad. I have no idea what is going on. My squat form hasn't changed at all and this sort of came out of nowhere the last couple of weeks. I cut the workout short and did some foam rolling at Kyle's advice. I will do some of that and hope it helps. Also squatted without any sort of reflection at all. Usually I have the glass at night and I try not to look at myself but obviously even seeing myself at all helps me balance as I was a little all over the place today.

290x5 was pretty easy and probably not a true AMRAP. However it is a 2 rep PR as the last time I did 290 I did it for 3. This was set in October. So there is progress, and that's good.

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:47 pm

290x5 looked pretty easy. As far as the ankles go, try some foam rolling, plus some basic static stretching movements for your ankles. I used to get some right ankle pain while squatting, and resisted/assisted dorsiflexions would help a bit. I'm guessing runners suffer from every time of ankle ailment, so if you look at treatments for runners, you might discover something that helps alleviate pain.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm depressed because YIL I have shitty deadlift form Sad

Anywaysss...My training schedule needs some structure..Ever since I added the second bench day I have kinda been doing stuff randomly because some days I just don't feel like benching again and it is causing me not to train optimally.

Also now that I've had two weeks of class and work I kinda have a feel for how to budget my time and when are my best days to train and when are best to rest.

This is my current idea
M: Deadlift. Supp Movement—Higher Rep Squatting Acc Legs
T: Bench 5/3/1. Supp Movement—Feet up Bench Acc Back and Arms
W: Off
TH: Off
F: Squat. Supp Movement—Pause squats Acc Legs
S: Bench Volume or Heavy. Supp Movement—Feet up Bench Acc Back and Arms
Sun: OHP. Supp Movement—Incline Press Acc Shoulders and Calves

The middle of my week is hell. I close Tuesday and Thursday and work sorta late Wens. Friday I don't have class in the morning so I can sleep in and catch back up on the sleep I missed from closing the night before...So I feel good about training Friday despite being up till 2am the night before. I also was skipping random days so I didn't have to bench back to back with only one day of rest. Now I have two. I think that should work fine.

I might switch friday and saturday so that I'm not doing two upper body days in a row. However, I did this a lot before the November meet where I would train my OHP and Bench on back to back days, and I never really thought it was an issue. I'm not going to push my overhead press hard. I miss overhead pressing and I've spent a good deal of time away from it so I think it is time to start again.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:47 pm

2/2/14
Squat: Max Out(ish) at Field House Fit Room
bar
95x3
135x2
185x1
225x1
275x1
315x1
335x1 PR
Knee Wraps--Powerbelly Misds
335x2 PR
365x1 PR
385x1 PR

Notes...I mean, come at me brah

With my new schedule starting tomorrow I decided to squat but didn't want to get my days offset so I just decided to do a max session. The plan wasn't to push myself 100% or have it be a "test" but work up to something that was difficult. Nothing was remotely difficult till 385. 335 unwrapped felt better than anything I have done out of wraps as far as heavy work and I felt like I could have pushed my unwrapped squat a little heavier but wanted to get into the wraps. Did a practice set in the wraps at 335... They are fantastic...Anyways...385 moved fast out of the hole. I know from my meet that my left knee is the one that likes to come in. I could feel it starting to and it made the lockout a little slower, but other than that everything felt great. The wraps get me out of the hole fast enough that I don't really fall forward as much like I do in my unwrapped squat. Maybe it is mental but I feel like I sit up way straighter with the wraps on. I felt pretty comfortable in another 15-20 lb jump but didn't want to turn this into a test day. I'll leave 405 for when I have 0 doubts.

The camera must have gotten packed not in my gym bag cause I couldn't find it at the FH. So the result was to make sure I buried my squats. Zero doubt in my head that they were all a million miles below parallel.

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Very nice--that looks like a good high-intensity day. These sessions can be valuable as long as you take it when you're ready and don't try to force it. That's a lot of quality work to get in at that intensity.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:27 pm

2/3/14
Deadlift 390
295x5
330x3
370x1
one minute rest
370x1
370x5 RPE 9

Hamstring Curls
4x12
Leg Ext
4x15
Notes:
I felt a little "eh" today...Not bad, I think I felt okay but my body was a little shocked I think from yesterday. Everything felt good today. First reps are getting better on the deadlift.. I'm happy Smile))
I didn't do my squat secondary work because of my squat session yesterday. But I won't be squatting on Sundays anymore so that won't be an issue moving forward.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:27 pm

Need to remember to sit back on my heels. My second single I did not and it was far slower than the first.

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:37 pm

Just reading that you did hamstring curls after hard deadlifts makes my hamstrings hurt
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Will wrote:
Just reading that you did hamstring curls after hard deadlifts makes my hamstrings hurt

I'm sorry for your hamstrings. Mine feel fine.

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:42 pm

David Petersen wrote:
I'm sorry for your hamstrings.

Me too  Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:28 pm

op plz respond

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
op plz respond

Last week turned into a deload week and then this weekend was RUM

also I did a shot with Jamie Lewis.

Nbd

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:46 pm

David Petersen wrote:
also I did a shot with Jamie Lewis.

Nbd

Kind of a big deal... Kind of...

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:12 pm

2/11/14
Bench 205 paused
155x5
175x3
195x1+ did 3. 5 lb PR for 3 rep max

Flat Back
145x3x6 TnG

Chest supported rows
Platex12
Plate+quarterx4x12

Curls
4 sets
Rope pulldowns
4 sets

Progresssss... I actually was going to quit after the double but felt that my back wasn't as tight as it could so I actually did the best I could to get myself tight again and did a pretty easy third rep...Made an effort to keep my butt on the bench.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:58 pm

2/14/2014
Squat 320
240x5
275x3
305x1+ Did 4.

Pause Squats beltless
275x3x1

Hamstring Curls
3x12
Leg Ext
3x12

Leg Raises
3x12
Back Raises weighted
3x12

So the AMRAP got a little ugly. My chest never fell but my butt started to rise early and also move backwards. I'm not entirely sure what evidence this provides for a weakness. It could also just be my lack of tightness through the core and upperback. I really have been focusing on breathing deep into my belly and let it expand my chest and keep my upper back tight.

I didn't notice this till I had 275 on the bar but the bar I was using was super bent (at 319). I did not switch it and just dealt with it. During the actually squats it wasn't bad, walking it out was just sorta sketch. I guess I should start checking bars at 319 too. Sad

Edit with times

305 Rep Speed
1st set

2.6 is pretty quick it is about the same speed I was doing 290 and 295 with depending on the set, so that is good.

These don't look nearly as bad as I thought they would. The third and fourth rep you can kinda make out the but moving up first. Poage pointed out that it's almost like I'm turning the lift into two parts. I'm not going to kill myself worrying about this, but just need to be aware.

Last edited by David Petersen on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Doesnt 319 have a squat bar..?

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:10 am

Brometheus wrote:
Doesnt 319 have a squat bar..?

That I totally forgot about..Lol..

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:03 am

2/16/14
Bench rep day
155x5x5
Floor Press
135x5x5

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:01 am

2/17/14
Deadlift 400
185x1
225x1
275x1
315x1
365x1
405x1
260x5
295x5
340x5

Notes: I decided sort of at random to do a high intensity deadlift session and just work up to a heavy single. 365 felt real good. And so why not just pull 405. I kept myself calm for this pull no yelling or crazy antics to get myself pumped up...So that's cool I guess. I always wait to get myself really going until the barbell "punches" me. So I feel slow or it feels heavy. Then I come back pretty pissed and get after it. I really didn't feel that much. Even 405 felt pretty easy. Slow off the floor, but never any doubt about it. So that's cool. Also this brings my career gym total to an even 1000...So that's cool too.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   

Back to top Go down

David Petersen's Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 15 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next