View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:40 am

So found this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/1xhsli/bench_polkov_351_my_531_variation/

And I might try it or something very close. It is very close to what I was thinking about doing/what I am doing.

Friday: 1) Deadlift 5/3/1 2) CAT Deads
Saturday: 1) Bench 5/3/1 2) Boring But Big Bench
Sunday: 1) Squat 5/3/1 2) BBB Squat
Monday: 1) OHP 5/3/1 2) CAT Bench
Tuesday: 1) Squat DM 2) CAT Squat
W: OFF
Th: OFF
*Boring But Big is just large sets of something like 10. Drop the weight way down and focus on technique while moving as fast as I can.

*CAT-I just used CAT to signify the difference in intensity for these days. The same principle will apply. I will try to move the weight as fast as I can but it will be a higher intensity and lower rep ranges (5s and 3s mostly) I'll be able to look at how my triples or how my 5s go on any given week went and be able to plan these accordingly.

The main difference from him is I just add an extra day of training the squat instead of squatting after I deadlift. I'm not a huge fan of squatting after I deadlift. So instead I would rather just do CAT deads on Fridays.

I'm also going to switch to the 3/5/1 method as we advises. So Week 1 is triples. Week 2 is 5s. Week 3 is the 5/3/single week. Week 4 will most likely be just a repeat of Week 2 with maybe a little more volume and lighter intensity.

Lots of the big 3 movements. No variation, which is fine.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 am

the 5/3/1 powerlifting version advises to have Wk1 as 3s and Wk 2 as 5s also but everything else is the same

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:20 am

Brometheus wrote:
the 5/3/1 powerlifting version advises to have Wk1 as 3s and Wk 2 as 5s also but everything else is the same

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:42 am

there is the normal 5/3/1 and there is 5/3/1 "Powerlifting" version. Virtually everything is the same except week 1 is the 3s week and week 2 is the 5s week. this sounds exactly like what you plan to run so i am making the connection

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:49 am

I'm well aware, but thank you for connecting the dots for me.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:43 pm

2/21/14
Deadlift 400
260x2x5
290xfor a few singles
290x5
340x5x1
340x5
365x1

Deficits off a 45
225x6x3

Worked with poage on some form things. Specifically trying to not round my lower back. At first this was causing the bar to swing in and hit my shins so I pulled I started it basically on my shins. Had to work on knees out in front of the bar. Keeping back angle the same and having my chest up. It was a lot too think about and it was causing me to forget other cues like pulling my hips through and where the weight on my foot was. Then I would focus on those things and forget to tilt my pelvis. Poage came back over and worked again with me on some of the 340 singles. They were slow but that is a given.

The deficits I really tried to work on keeping my low back arched and moving up as if a string were connecting my body. I'll keep running my numbers the same for now and see how pulling goes. I think if I start from the beginning of the session with my back like this and really focus on it during warm ups it will go smoother during the heavier work. I didn't have my camera today (and I just found my charger) so I will be video taping these.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:49 pm

2/22/14
135x5
160x5
180x5
Backoffs
160x4x5

Did various amount of pull ups and dips roughly sets of 5 for both for as many sets as I could sustain. I'll just do as many of these as I can after my upper body days.
Military press
3 sets

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Squatted poorly today.

Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:56 pm

I'm just curious, why do you have your two rest days scheduled back to back as opposed to separated by two or three training days?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:43 pm

Andy Awad wrote:
I'm just curious, why do you have your two rest days scheduled back to back as opposed to separated by two or three training days?

Too worn down from class and work on Thursdays to train, and too busy on Wednesday.

can't log in on phone dav

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:38 pm

It is worth noting I would rather do that Andy. I think I might try this week to train Tuesday and W because I was not able to get in today because studying for test.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:05 pm

I see I see. That makes perfect sense. It does look like you've worked the days around though to give your muscle groups optimal rest. It's probably better to get an easier day in to make up for what you missed today than to skip it. It will still give you a rest day before your deadlifts too. Being a student and studying for exams definitely makes you learn how to be flexible with other aspects of your life man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:34 am

2/25/14
OHP 125
80x5
95x5
105x5
Incline
95x5
115x5
115x5
135x5x3

Pull ups
Did 3 sets of 5 then did a few sets of negatives
Dips
Sets of 7 and 5

On every upper body day I'm going to do dips and pull ups. I actually forgot I use to do dips before and I was okay at them. I could do about 50 in a session without too much trouble and then could add work around them. Same for pull ups. Right now I'm just going to focus on getting alright with them and then add stuff as I can.

OHP felt fine. I imagine I'll get a lot better at this once I remember how to do them.

Incline was pretty rough. I might start doing this day at 319 because setting up an incline on the benches is ruff. I'm also pretty bad at them, so hopefully that means this is a weakness I can fix.

Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:27 am

I'm a big fan of pullups and dips - especially pullups -; even though I haven't been doing a whole lot of them recently. When I came back to working out about a year ago, pullups and push ups formed the basis of my workout routine for several months. I got to the point where I could bust out 20 solid pullups at 195 (definitely can't do that now at close to 215). Then when I got back into the gym I pulled 455 once (my previous 2 rep pr) my first time deadlifting in well over a year, and I benched 245 for about 3 or 4 reps (I hadn't benched in probably six months, and was right around a 290-300 tng bench when i stopped). I think body weight work can be great for developing core strength, and that strength (for me at least) transfers well to barbell movements. I plan to start incorporating more of it again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:29 pm

2/26/2014
Squat 330
215x5
250x5
280x5+ did 5

Pause Squats beltless
250x3
250x3
250x3
250x3
250x3

Had to work so no time for accessory work.

Notes--This session was not that great. My ankle actually didn't feel as bad as it has in the past...But I just felt terrible...I finally got a little pissed off and that helped me get some more speed on the pause squats (I did not think I would be able to do 5 sets with only a moderate amount of rest)... This might be from "maxing out" last squat session or might be that we haven't had groceries for a few days so I've been not getting a ton of carbs. That is solved now.

I was having a really tough time keeping my core big today. 280x5 was not a true max but my digestive system was not going to hold in another rep.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:50 pm

My laptop is busted so vomit post of all my training the last week or so cause I'm at work and can use the comp here.

Deadlift
275x3
320x3
365x3

Deficit
275x3
275x3
275x3
275x3
275x3

Last three sets pause at knee

Pendlay rows
135x5x5

3/1/14
Bench 210
145x3
170x3
190x3
Back offs
170x5x3

Pulldowns
Pyramid

Shoulder complex.

3/2/14
Squat 330
230x3
265x3
295x4
Paused
265x4x3
Not paused
275x1
295x1
315x1

Leg ext
Pyramid up and down

Elevated planks
5sets one minute each

Shoulder complex and pull aparts

3/4/14
OHP
90x3
100x3
110x6
90x3x5

Incline
95x5
115x5
135x5
135x5
135x3
135x3
135x3

Chest supported rows
2 platesx5x5
x10
BB arm stuff

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:36 pm

3/5/14
Squat
235x1
265x1
285x1
305x1
235x8x3*

Leg Curls and Leg Ext
pyramid up and down
Elevated planks
1 minute holds

Notes: Used the squat bar at 319 today. It was a little tough to balance myself. If I wasn't right on the center it was very noticeable. So a couple times I walked it on and then had to re-rack it. 305 was really easy but I wanted to really keep myself from repeating what happened last time I did a DM so I just stopped there. Did 235 for 8 triples at a pretty high tempo. Once I got rolling I really saw the reps speed up and really like this type of CAT training. On the 225 sets I really forced myself to focus on flexing my ass out of the hole and keeping my body as tight as I could. Seemed to pay off. I think an important cue moving forward is keeping my core/hips/ass all moving as one unit. Also thinking about "pushing" the bar up (by driving my elbows under) seemed to help these reps move faster.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:01 pm

3/7/14
Deadlift 400
300x5
340x3
380x1
~400x1
419x1
Back offs
286x3
286x3
286x3
286x3
286x3
286x3
First one done on deficit the rest off floor

Notes:
Poage threw down the gauntlet so I felt like I needed to push something somewhat heavy to give him a challenge. Paid off cause he said 420x5 was pretty tough (snatch grip) so I'm glad I was able to "push" him a bit in training. 420 felt good. Little slow off the floor but Kevin said I accelerated through the lockout. For me this is good. As long as my lockout is staying strong I don't have a problem trying to put myself in a better position to break it off the floor. Other than that I felt like I could have made another modest jump. So a nice little high intensity day!

Ditched the deficit because there was no flat surface on the plate to put my feet. I've been pulling these back offs/deficits with an arched back which sits my hips down so I'm basically making my pulls off the ground a lot harder anyways. Call it a "good form" variation...

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:18 am

Looked real solid from where I was standing. 420 is a PR for you, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:39 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
Looked real solid from where I was standing. 420 is a PR for you, right?

It is. 402 at the meet and 405 a month ago. Neither of the three I think have been true maxes, which is cool. My "heavy" deadlift training could teach my squat and bench training a thing or two. There was really zero doubt in my mind about hitting it, and as you have said before that's how it should be when you take a heavy weight.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:43 pm

David Petersen wrote:
It is. 402 at the meet and 405 a month ago. Neither of the three I think have been true maxes, which is cool. My "heavy" deadlift training could teach my squat and bench training a thing or two. There was really zero doubt in my mind about hitting it, and as you have said before that's how it should be when you take a heavy weight.

Hey nice big PR man but per usual, video or it doesnt count

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:39 pm

Brometheus wrote:
David Petersen wrote:

Hey nice big PR man but per usual, video or it doesnt count

I can vouch for it, as can Dubya and Kevin Alvy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:50 pm

I need video of you vouching for it or it doesn't count

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:24 am

3/12/14
Squat 330
245x5
280x3
315x0
Paused
245x3
245x3
245x3
245x3
Not Paused
275x1
315x2

So this was not the greatest session in the world. Everything felt really heavy and then I missed 315. I got out of the hole fine, it slowed down and then I just quit the rep. Didn't plan on doing it again but as the session went on I got more and more pissed about it so after my paused work I worked back up and did it for a fairly easy double.
Poage said stop training super late at night. So I will quit that. I've been really lazy about everything since this weekend and haven't trained since my deadlift session last Friday. I just did not feel comfortable training today. Happy I was able to come back and do 315 for a double, but not so happy I am missing stuff that is well within my wheelhouse.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:05 am

3/20/14
265x5
310x5
350x5

Reset before each rep
Snatch grip
135xamilion sets of 5
Really got my hips low and arched my back hard

Hamstring curls
4 sets
Leg ext
4 sets
Planks
3 for a minute plus

Aggressive but no yelling Sad.... New thing for a while until I work back into training regularly again... I think I am going to start resetting before each rep. My speed off the floor isn't that bad now...Also I sorta changed my set up.... I just did what felt right and ended up getting very rigid and barley bending over till I could grab the bar, then just pulled on the bar and sit back until I felt tension, then cranked away...Sorta looked like a Richard Hawthorneish type set up... I couldn't do it without resetting (obviously) so I just decided to reset after each rep as a result.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   

Back to top Go down

David Petersen's Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 16 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next