Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mock Meet July

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 1:28 pm

So I’m new to the team, you guys probably have not met me, but I’m David.

At the direction of several individuals strong(er) than me I am going to do a mock meet. I’m planning on doing this either July 13th or 14th. Everyone that this concerns is probably aware but NASA Grand Nattys is the same weekend, and the UPA meet is the weekend after (20th-21st). With that said I wanted to inquire/open this up to members of the team, so anyone not competing for whatever reason. I would have just done one of the meets, but found out about them (yesterday) on a little short notice. You don't have to hit maxes, or even treat it like a "meet". I just figured this would be a good way to meet people in the club, albeit only the ones not competing that weekend.

I plan on doing this at 319 Fitness. It’s a small gym operated by one guy. The equipment isn’t fancy, but they have a cage (1), platform (1), and benches (2). The gym is usually slow if you keep away from peak hours, and weekends are really slow. I don’t see us being there for a mock meet (most of the day) being a huge issue.

I have no issue doing it at the CRWC. If a number of people end up wanting to do this, it might be logistically easier to just do it at the CRWC. Weekends sound somewhat slow there, and all we really would have to do is yellow-tape one platform with our gym bags.

--Details as we get closer

Also anyone with input on the best way to execute a mock meet. I've never done a real meet, so I have questions like: "how long should I wait before each attempt?", "what should my warm ups look like?", "should I eat between lifts?"...Ect
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 7:13 pm

For a mock meet, go as fast or as slow as you need to. Take a lot of warm-up sets, but keep the reps to a minimum. As a very basic guideline, I suggest doing whatever you normally do for a warmup, plus as many reps as are necessary with the bar, plus a higher-rep set at or below 50%, then a triple at 65%, a single at 75%, and a single at 85%. That will take you right up to an opener at 90-92% without fatiguing yourself.

Between attempts, take as much time as you need. In meets, we sometimes have 15 minutes between attempts. Take a minimum of five minutes between these.

If you're going to eat, eat what you would normally be eating. Don't change your diet specifically for a mock meet--eat foods that are easy on your stomach. Obviously, simple carbs will give you some energy, but nutrition doesn't have to change drastically just because it's a meet.

A mock meet, if you run it smoothly, can be done easily in 2-3 hours; it doesn't have to take you a long time. A few guys on here test all their maxes in one day when they do test, so they run a semi-mock meet; they could probably give you some advice.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Monty Python
Class III
Class III

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm in. This is a good opportunity to test my weaksauce maxes. Two weeks of solid training should be plenty of time for me to readjust to using a belt and going heavy without asshats constantly fucking with me.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Monty Python wrote:
I'm in. This is a good opportunity to test my weaksauce maxes. Two weeks of solid training should be plenty of time for me to readjust to using a belt and going heavy without asshats constantly fucking with me.

Sounds good.

I talked with a couple of the guys I train with there. They all just did a full meet a couple weeks back and are all going to pass on the lifting aspect, but a couple offered themselves up if we needed spotting. Does the day (13th or 14th) matter for you?
Back to top Go down
Monty Python
Class III
Class III

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Nope, either day's good with me.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 5:59 pm

Monty Python wrote:

I'm leaning toward the 13th then. Most of the guys I train with will be there on that day and won't be on Sunday. So a nice little meet and greet and then buckle down for some heavy lifting. Doesn't sound like there is a better way to spend a Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 9:18 pm

Wait--Monty, are you back in Iowa City?
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 12:37 am

If possible try to get a guy to come in and spot you on bench. It is extremely frustrating getting bro spotted or pulled out of your arch on a test day

IMO you shouldn't be "going for broke" on any of these attempts. I'd say stay conservative and judge yourself strictly. It's a bad idea to hit numbers that can't pass in a comp, it will likely set you up for overshooting your comp attempts

If you put up a decent total and feel like you left some on the test day platform it's not a big deal. The worst thing you could do is hurt yourself on one of these days
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 12:41 am

KevinAlvy wrote:
The worst thing you could do is hurt yourself on one of these days

And the best thing you could do is set a world record.

...And remember, the world record for the biggest missed attempt in history is still a world record. Think about that before your 1300-lb. deadlift attempt.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 12:44 am

KKeough wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:

...And remember, the world record for the biggest missed attempt in history is still a world record. Think about that before your 1300-lb. deadlift attempt.

I'm sure it was just his hands fault
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 12:48 am

KevinAlvy wrote:
KKeough wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:

I'm sure it was just his hands fault

From the master himself.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 12:50 am

KevinAlvy wrote:
If possible try to get a guy to come in and spot you on bench. It is extremely frustrating getting bro spotted or pulled out of your arch on a test day

IMO you shouldn't be "going for broke" on any of these attempts. I'd say stay conservative and judge yourself strictly. It's a bad idea to hit numbers that can't pass in a comp, it will likely set you up for overshooting your comp attempts

If you put up a decent total and feel like you left some on the test day platform it's not a big deal. The worst thing you could do is hurt yourself on one of these days

Thank you for this advice. It cements in some of the thoughts I already had, and it is nice to hear some of this from someone with a lot more experience than myself.

Spotting should not be an issue. I'm timing this during one of the scheduled training spots my group has. They all have way more experience than I do at this. I am also going to lean on them hard to give me feedback after attempts. None of them will be quiet about a lift that would not cut it in a meet.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 12:53 am

KKeough wrote:

From the master himself.

I swear you have this thing bookmarked lol
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 12:55 am

Allprocro wrote:

Thank you for this advice. It cements in some of the thoughts I already had, and it is nice to hear some of this from someone with a lot more experience than myself.

Spotting should not be an issue. I'm timing this during one of the scheduled training spots my group has. They all have way more experience than I do at this. I am also going to lean on them hard to give me feedback after attempts. None of them will be quiet about a lift that would not cut it in a meet.

No problem and best of luck for your test day
Back to top Go down
Monty Python
Class III
Class III

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 1:30 am

Allprocro wrote:
Monty Python wrote:

I'm leaning toward the 13th then. Most of the guys I train with will be there on that day and won't be on Sunday. So a nice little meet and greet and then buckle down for some heavy lifting. Doesn't sound like there is a better way to spend a Saturday.

Sounds awesome. I'll see you there, and hopefully before then as well.

KKeough wrote:
Wait--Monty, are you back in Iowa City?

I'm currently in Addison, IL. I'll be here until Friday, then I'm off to IC.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 11:49 am

I seriously never thought I'd see this day. With both the Furnace and Monty Python back on the team, we will be unstoppable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mock Meet July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mock Meet July   Mock Meet July Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mock Meet July
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: