Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Just getting started

Go down 
+2
Christian Krajewski
Keosawa
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris K.

Just getting started Empty
PostSubject: Just getting started   Just getting started Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm looking for a good program to get prepared for the November competition. I have been lifting for a while, but I am new to powerlifting. I am open to any advice, suggestions, pointers, ect.

Also I'm not quite sure how to navigate the training logs so bear with me.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Just getting started   Just getting started Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 10:30 pm

Chris K. wrote:
I'm looking for a good program to get prepared for the November competition. I have been lifting for a while, but I am new to powerlifting. I am open to any advice, suggestions, pointers, ect.

Also I'm not quite sure how to navigate the training logs so bear with me.
Chris...tian? Or is this another Chris?

As far as navigation goes, it's a little easier once you register for an account. The forum takes a little getting used to, I know.

As far as your programming goes, have you ever run a program before? It's OK if you haven't--I'm just curious what experience you've had.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Christian Krajewski
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Disregard this post   Just getting started Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 10:33 pm

I did not realize I wasn't signed in... This is Christian, Ill be making another post from my account so basically disregard this one.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Just getting started   Just getting started Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Second
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Just getting started   Just getting started Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 10:58 pm

Broceidon wrote:
Second
Helpful.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Just getting started   Just getting started Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Chris K. wrote:
I'm gettin' old now.

Trying not to cry.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Just getting started   Just getting started Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Hey Christian I believe I talked to you at the first meeting. Hope all is going well for you getting settled in here in Iowa City. We actually just put this thread up a couple of days ago, it might be a good idea to give the google doc linked in it a quick read and check out some of the links off of the google doc as well.

https://uipowerlifting.forumotion.com/t278-beginner-packet

It might give you some ideas as to at least what some programs look like. I know it can be a lot to take in, but any of us would be willing to help you select and get started on a program. It sounds like you are seriously considering competing, which is awesome. Look forward to seeing you around.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Just getting started   Just getting started Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 11:04 pm

KKeough wrote:
Broceidon wrote:
Second
Helpful.

My bad. I guess to clarify kyles point, how much experience do you have with squatting, benching, and deadlifting? If not much then I recommend stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength by mark rippetoe. If you have some experience and have some decent numbers then look at 5/3/1, Madcow, texas method, or Bill Starr's 5x5. I personally ran stronglifts and madcow. Both are excellent programs but I also know a few people on the team used starting strength and 5/3/1.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Just getting started   Just getting started Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 8:47 am

first page
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Just getting started   Just getting started Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 10:34 am

KevinAlvy wrote:
first page
Helpful.
Back to top Go down
Christian Krajewski
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: My Experience   Just getting started Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 10:41 am

I have not really ever done a strict program before, being any longer than 2-4 weeks in high school.

I have plenty of experience with bench, squats and deadlifts. My numbers are roughly 275 on bench, 405 deadlift (as of yesterday), and I think around 405 on squats.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Just getting started   Just getting started Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 10:50 am

You have decent enough numbers that you could jump right into something such as Wendler's 5/3/1, The Juggernaut Method, or even any of the numerous Sheiko programs. A simple 5x5 workout would also be suitable, in my opinion.

Do you want something that you can enter your numbers into an excel spreadsheet, and then do your work sets off of that? This is what I typically suggest for a beginner/intermediate lifter. There are tons of spreadsheets available in the team dropbox folder (the account info is available in a thread in the "powerlifting discussion" subform), or any of us could email you a couple of these programs for you to look at.

I also highly suggest looking at the Beginner Packet that is linked in the powerlifting discussion subforum, as this would give you a good primer as to what kinds of programs might be good for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just getting started   Just getting started Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just getting started
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: