A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Come Up

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: The Come Up   Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:48 pm

I think this is the place for me. I haven't formally met anyone but I think I came into the gym when the 'team' was training and talked briefly with some of you. I'll try to fix that on the 22nd Smile

I'm going to go ahead and start my log here because this was my first day of a new training cycle and I can't be trusted to keep a paper log.

Start off with the basics:

Sex: Male
Weight: 180lbs
Height: 6'1.5"
Wingspan: 6'2.5"
Standing reach: 7'9.5" (I have the overhead reach of someone 5'9-10" which is really weird to me since my wingspan is above average for my height. Makes dunking a basketball much harder than it should be but maybe good for overhead pressing?)

Injury history:

Badly herniated L5-S1 in Dec 2011 which paralyzed my gluteus maximus and calf muscles on my right leg. I am still regaining the strength that I lost. My calf strength came back within 6 months but my ass cheek atrophied to an incredible extent and scar tissue replaced the mass in the muscle belly. I am getting back to where   was 2 years ago but I can't jump as high off that leg as I used to be able to and the ass cheek is smaller (although I keep making progress with it). I don't know if I can make a full recovery so far as my ultimate potential being diminished, but I think I can improve my performance through better training.

I also have shitty achilles tendons. I was actually in a wheel chair in elementary school for a little while -- too much soccer. It crops up now and then and I'm not doing a great job with the pre/rehab. I have to be very careful so I don't end up like Kobe. I can't afford his HGH/peptide bill lol! 

Current PRs:

Squat: 325
Power Clean: 225 (just learned this exercise)
VJ from place: 30.5'-31"
VJ with shuffled feet: 34-34.5"
VJ with 2 approach steps: 36.5-37"
Broad jump from place: 9'0" on cement
Triple jump from place: 28' on cement (used suboptimal arm swing technique)

All of these stand to improve significantly, particularly the horizontal jumping. Most of these exercises are either completely new to me or I haven't really done them in a while (what with my injury). I also think I can drop 10lbs fairly easily which will add 2" to my vertical jumps. Unfortunately these are all bilateral tests/exercises (except last two jumps in triple jump) any my injury only effected my right leg. It's the data I have though.

I know this is a powerlifting club but I'm intensely focused on jumping right now! Being a cripple is humiliating and as the 2 year anniversary of my catastrophe approaches I just want to be able to do the stuff I could do before.

I REALLY like lifting though. The barbell and I are very good friends. I don't have the physique to be a great powerlifter (I'd have to double my BW to be competitive) so I don't see the point in putting all of my energy into it. I want to do this my whole life and strength seems to peak for people in their 30's or even later so I am in no rush. I just want to stay healthy.

Last edited by Will Diebolt on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:49 pm

My training plan is as follows, the goal of which is to finalize my recovery, i.e. improve gluteal hypertrophy and powerful hip extension w/o relying on my hamstrings:

Two 6 week programs staggered so I start the second 2 weeks into the first. This phase will be 8 weeks. I am following the Verkhoshansky pyramid plan from his SST Manual for Coaches. The first program is low bar squats. The second is step-ups on a low block. I am excited/nervous.

Following this I will plan 4-6 weeks of bounding, also double and single leg broad jumps from place after first doing something like 2x2@90-93% on either squats or step-ups to stimulate better performance during the bounding, and to maintain my max strength level.

This morning:

Warm up with empty barbell
145x8
180x6
210x6
225x3x6
(sets x reps, ALWAYS!)

It will be easy for now. I haven't really low bar squatted since the early spring and I'm not getting a great pop out of the hole.Still felt strong in the hole I just didn't get a great stretch-reflex. And they felt powerful. Almost jump squats with 225 and the bar was slipping out of position at the top (another reason not to do jumps with a barbell in the low bar position).

If anyone is actually reading this check out a write up of the program online: http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/programming-for-the-deadlift/ http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/from_russia_with_love http://www.weightrainer.net/spreadsheets/sovpeak.html

I'm in the gym 6 days a week doing assistance and I'm starting to train my upper body finally (with LP and sets of 5) and some low intensity basketball drills.

I will test my standing triple jump after all of this is over. I think this is the best test for my goals.
Back to top Go down
GFou
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:02 pm

1st.....and welcome to the club
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:22 pm

I like this guy. He knows the feel of having a slightly retarded glute.

It's like we're brothers.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:13 am

You trained at Ford's in Madison, right? Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:50 am

Chris, what's wrong with your gluteus?

Kyle, yes I lived in Madison from 2007-2013 but I only spent the last year at Ford's. I mostly went to the university gym (SERF). The CRCW is a much better facility.

Some seriously impressive lifters here. I hope to learn a lot. Thanks for the welcome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:57 am

Last night I did some basketball combos for about 30 minutes. Pump fake and jab steps. Also putting the ball on the floor a little.

Just now:

Warm up w/ BW step-ups on 3 block, then 2 blocks

Step ups on a block + 45lbs plate
135x6
225x6
275x4
315x3
355x2 (could have done a bunch more)

Unilateral prone extensions & supine extensions with BW for untold number of sets and reps

I like the step-ups with this set up because I think it's almost exactly how I plant my take off leg to dunk. I think I can work up to a very heavy weight with these step ups. 500lbs doesn't seem out of the question at some point. I've only done this exercise once before. Obviously I didn't want to go to heavy or too much volume today. I'm unsure how to program them in the 2 weeks before I start the 6 week program using them but I need to prep them a little and figure out a hypothetical 100% (1RM). I kind of screwed myself here. Fuck. I'm pretty confidant that I can handle squats 2x week and unilateral partial squats 2x week. I've built up a pretty good work capacity.

The last two exercises are for my ass. I'm calling hip extensions on the 45 degree bench prone extensions although I guess this could better describe a reverse hyper. Fucking semantics. I'm doing that because the other exercise I'm calling supine extensions. There was only a diagram in the book with no words. It's a special strength exercise specific to triple jumpers (although I don't see why it wouldn't be just as effective for the long jump). Basically I lay face-up on the floor and support myself with bent elbows behind me. My legs are outstretched and the working leg is on a block. I just extend my hip as far as possible. In both exercises this is the knee angle that I've had trouble with because the straighter my legs are the more the hamstrings come into play during hip extension. I think this is a critical thing for trainees to understand because it's different due to the biarticulate construction of the hamstrings slacking at the knee end when it is bent. Parts of triceps and hip flexors are same way. Gastroc too. Anyway, I tried doing hip extensions at Ford's on their flat GHR bench and as recently as a few months ago it just wouldn't hit my right gluteus. I remember being very stubborn and I wound up just getting ridiculously sore hamstrings on that leg and abandoned the exercise. It was not like that this time! I got a nice little pump in my ass. (can't believe I just wrote that.) I really like this complex of exercises. This is the last bit ROM that doesn't get trained very well in a full squat. I'll keep the hip extension exercises as assistance when the step program kicks in two weeks from now. I'll definitely use an external load on the 45 degree hip extensions next time. I'm going to think about how do the step-ups in this 2 week interim. Probably won't go heavier than 315 and do a bunch more reps. Not very much time under tension in any of these exercises today so I should be doing more reps. No idea how I'm going to pick a 1RM. Oh, I'm wearing flat basketball shoes not WL shoes because I  don't want my knee angle throwing my shin forward. Also, I think it's a bad idea to always lift in WL shoes. I wish I had WL shoes with no wedge under the heel because they are more stable and don't compress. Something else to think about. . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:37 am

Bounced the ball around for 15-20 minutes. Then I did more unilateral supine extensions and used a 10lbs plate for unilateral 45 degree extensions. I get in weird grooves with this hamstring/gluteus thing. One of my sets hit my hamstrings very hard. At that point I switched to supine extensions which were confusing to me. I really don't know what muscles are doing what. This is a little frustrating. I'm figuring out that this exercise is pretty quick, dynamic. Then I went back to the 45 degree apparatus and I was feeling a much better contraction in my gluteus maximus.

I think that I need some sort of innately quick, explosive hip extension exercise that can potentiate the correct motor pattern. I hypothesize that I've developed compensatory motor patterns (well that I know, the question is to what extent do they linger) but that doing something that's necessarily quick and reflexive in nature reverts my nervous system to functioning with the correct pattern. I have noticed this when doing bounding. Resting between sets I feel a much greater contracting just walking around. Squatting to depth seems to work well too because I just go into autopilot with the weight on my back and the stretch reflex in the hole is just that -- a reflex. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not full of total BS.

Two girls were squatting. I try not to let other people bother me and the last thing I wanna do is be "that guy", but I was seriously concerned they were going to snap in half. More than once I leapt out of my seat thinking I'd have to catch the bar or something. One was much shorter than the other and couldn't really unrack the barbell without getting on her toes and then the bar was rocking back and forth like 30 degrees! Way too much weight on the bar. Valgus collapse quarter squats. They were walking it out backwards and laughing through their blundering. After witnessing averted disaster after averted disaster I couldn't help myself any longer.

I did not approach them exactly how I should have and I'm feeling pretty bad about it. I'm not sorry I said anything at all because they needed some kind of feedback but I was a little too aggressive. I think I prefaced the interaction by blurting out something like "I don't care if you think I'm an asshole but..." which was a mistake. I'm suspicious of people being unreceptive under these circumstances and I'm very hesitant to say something to people. I've gotten better at this and I'm trying to do a much better job. It's also a tricky situation with girls in the weight room because I feel like there's always the question in their mind of whether or not you're hitting on them (especially if they're attractive, worse yet 'painfully' attractive) and being a know it cocky know all. I'm a little self conscience since I don't look like a big guy/bodybuilder or anything. I take on a slight DYEL appearance in basketball shorts and a baggy tee. So, I don't want to be "that guy", but when there are egregious dangers I feel like it's the right thing to do. They were actually very nice and one painfully attractive girl introduced her self. I wish I was more helpful because she seemed interested in the end. Instead I felt embarrassed because they were actually decent people and I was expecting everyone to take the defensive but even in that situation I felt like it was to their benefit because I don't want anyone to get hurt. Fuck. This is weighing on my soul.

It may be counterproductive to get into all of this shit/talk therapy here. IDK how I will be able to look through my log with all of this extra shit. Just feeling frustrated in general. Why do I spent so much energy on this stuff when I'm such a crappy athlete. Also, I can't stand university gyms. It's mostly just a bunch of cocky dudes who have no idea what they're doing. The whole alpha male thing is a joke to me. The other day one of the fucking trainers threw my shit on the floor and walked away. I tried to talk with him and he was a huge douche. Got my blood boiling but I just laughed it off. I mentioned it to the gym supervisor who seemed concerned. I got the impression that he didn't care for the guy either +1

I need to take my diet a little more seriously. I obsess over all the other details that probably don't matter. I often think of that quote, "plans are nothing; planning is everything" I fool myself into thinking I'm being very rigorous but it's all a bunch of BS. I need to squat 405 this winter/spring. I want to improve so badly. More work less sniveling.

BRB 2 NY strip steaks need attention.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:41 am

Trainers here are the worst. Which one was this?

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 am

I wouldn't even recognize the dude if I saw him again.

Upper-body doing this 2x week and adding 5lbs. I'm a complete novice with this stuff:

Paused Bench
140x5x5

Pull-ups
5lbsx5x5

DB Overhead Press (shorter rest period)
30x10
35x10
40x9

Didn't have a lot of energy this morning. I'm trying to save the coffee for squat days if I need it at all. I really get into all the old Soviet training material. I've got a bunch of translations. They always say stimulants should be avoided during training. Competition is another matter obviously. I've been watching a lot of Olympic jumping events and all the athletes look tweaked the fuck out before their jumps. Kind of amusing.

aside/ I get curious about how athletes mentally prepare for their event right before their attempts. Powerlifters do a lot of stomping and yelling. Some olympic lifters look half-dead before setting WRs and you see a lot of sprinters put on a show of confidence (think Usain Bolt's antics) which I think keeps them relaxed. I wonder if it has to do with relaxation being very important in those events. Excessive tonus for a WL or sprinter would prevent the instantaneous switching between flexion and extension and vice versa. I've heard that the speed of relaxation for sprinters correlates well to performance. I don't think a powerlifter would want to relax anything though. /aside

I think I needed a better warm up before benching though. The last sets felt better and I was getting a little scared at first that picking 135 to start my progression was a bad idea. Babyweight mode right here.

I've always been pretty good at pull/chin ups. I could do like 20 as a kid for absolutely no reason. (Maybe it's that crappy overhead reach I mentioned earlier Wink  ). These were a piece of cake and I hope I can really work these up. To secure the weight I just adduct my legs with the DB between my feet. I don't think this is a very good method. I actually felt a little something on the medial side of knee, maybe the MCL. Did some air squats to warm up my legs. I think they were just cold. Not worried about it really. I'm going to have to buy a dip belt though because I don't want to keep doing this, esp. with heavier weights.

Some part of my adductors are pretty sore. No doubt from that unilateral work yesterday. I wasn't expecting that to happen. It's the same on my left and right leg so that's good.

I couldn't help myself from doing more hip extensions on the 45 degree bench again. Just feeling shit out. Did some unilateral and bilateral. Seemed to feel pretty much the same. I'm sort of happy.

I squat tomorrow. Always looking forward to squat days. Now for restorative measures.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:51 am

Will Diebolt wrote:

Two girls were squatting. I try not to let other people bother me and the last thing I wanna do is be "that guy", but I was seriously concerned they were going to snap in half. More than once I leapt out of my seat thinking I'd have to catch the bar or something. One was much shorter than the other and couldn't really unrack the barbell without getting on her toes and then the bar was rocking back and forth like 30 degrees! Way too much weight on the bar. Valgus collapse quarter squats. They were walking it out backwards and laughing through their blundering. After witnessing averted disaster after averted disaster I couldn't help myself any longer.
I will generally let guys kill themselves in that gym, but occasionally I'll give one of the girls there advice if I really feel she could use it. I usually wait until my girlfriend's around if I'm going to say anything, for the reasons you mentioned.

Will Diebolt wrote:
Also, I can't stand university gyms. It's mostly just a bunch of cocky dudes who have no idea what they're doing. The whole alpha male thing is a joke to me.
This feel--I know it so well.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:09 am

Last night a girl asked me for help getting the collars off the bar. It felt good, like kicking feminism right in its barren ovaries.

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:08 pm

I've had to demonstrate to multiple men and women how to use the collars. Jesus Christ, these people couldn't even put together an Erector set.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:08 am

Don't see the need for collars at that gym. All the plates fit very tightly. I got in the habit of never using them unless there's a lot of slop between the plates and the bar and I'm doing a bunch of reps where things could slide around.

Week 1 Day 2 Verkhoshansky Pyramid for Squats:

145x8
180x6
210x5
245x5
260x4x5
245x5
210x6
180x8

Was supposed to do this 6 hours later than I did but my sleeping and waking schedule is so fucked up and I felt rested 'enough'. Chugged a protein shake right before and it didn't have time to really digest. Wasn't feeling 100% but that's okay. I wore a long sleeve tee shirt and I was incredibly hot. I checked to see if there was a sign posted about keeping your shirt on. Couldn't find it in the rules so I took it off. Felt strangely liberating. I was half-expecting someone to tell me to put it back on and this never came to pass.

On one rep I slid to my left leg a little out of the hole. I used to do this a lot when I was much weaker post-injury because the left gluteus would contract and not so much the right one. I don't think that was the cause this time though. Still feels ever so slightly different one side to the other but it's worlds apart from where I was this time last year. I would get so mad/depressed from squatting because I would feel nothing on the right side of my ass.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:17 am

If I ever see you training with your shirt off, or make a reference to it on this forum, you will be banned from this site and this club.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:19 am

come at me bro
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:49 am

Will Diebolt wrote:
come at me bro
Don't worry. He can't actually do this...

...until Sunday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: I'll be working out shirtless during your team practices    Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:34 pm

And I'll try to get the squat rack by Chris Anderson.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:43 pm

pls do

need some fapping material
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:44 pm

You gonna take pictures for later or just start yanking it on the weightroom floor?
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:45 pm

obviously

vids
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Cool. I'm a bit of an exhibitionist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:52 am

Yesterday morning I did bilateral hip extensions on the 45 degree (This was lost into the interwebz from yesterday's shitstorm)

45x10
65x10
85x10
105x6
125x2
105x6
85x10
65x10

This morning I did my step-ups

135x10
225x5
275x5
315x10

Hip thrusts on a block with pause at the top

135x4x10

Gonna keep logging here for now. The actions of one individual are incomprehensible to me and I still haven't heard back from him. I'm not going to disrespect myself or show up where I'm not welcome since I am "unpopular to say the least with several members of the club."
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:53 am

one reason the shirt policy exists in mosts gyms is very simple: sweat. Shirts catch sweat. If you're oly lifting or doing things that require little contact with equipment, it's not that big a deal safety-wise. If you're using a bench, you're leaving a lot of sweat for someone to potential slip on as they use the bench after you, as well as leaving more moisture on a gym surface. Moisture=bacteria having a fuck-happy place to be, and that's bad. I don't want to add to what's already a disease cesspool of a communal space, and I appreciate it when others make an effort not to add to it either. As far as keeping yourself cool goes, the bro-cut tanks are the way to go. I wear loose t-shirts with the sleeves vastly cut off periodically for training and they actually really help "vent" the body while keeping that shit at least somewhat covered.

That said, I've seen bros get caught machines as they walk by them because their shirts are loose and gaping open. You have to be graceful wearing them or you're going to look like an idiot.

As far as mental prep for difficult sets or a max or, hell, competition goes: I kind of go into a focused/meditative state. For me, there is no "anger/charged up/amped up/kill bitches" mentality. I don't need it, and it doesn't help me. I clear my mind, focus internally, and trust my body to do what it needs to complete the lift because I have trained it over thousands of reps for that job. But some people get angry. There is no right or wrong way, but the one I describe is how I approach it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.babyeaterlifts.wordpress.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:57 am

Well, I hope things get sorted out. I haven't even met you, so I don't really know much of anything about this situation. I just don't want for there to be a lot of bullshit flying around here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   

Back to top Go down

The Come Up
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: