Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Come Up

Go down 
+6
babyeater
KevinAlvy
Nathan Poage
Keosawa
Chris Anderson
GFou
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

The Come Up - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 9:57 pm

This pleases me...
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 10:08 pm

Will wrote:
Can't imagine why that would be illegal. People actually run businesses out of storage units believe it or not so I don't know why I couldn't have some equipment in there.

Because you're not just talking about storing equipment, you're talking about using it as a gym. There is a massive amount of liability that gym owners have to go through. Whoever owns the units might not appreciate you using their property for something other than its intended purpose.

Who knows, maybe there would be no legal issues. Look into it. Here's a company nearby:

http://www.qualitycarestorage.com/

It would take just a few minutes to call them up and ask them if they would allow you to use their unit as a your own gym.

EDIT: Well, this guy apparently was allowed to do it:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=51002

It would probably very much depend on the owner's discretion and local laws, if any apply.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 10:50 pm

I assume that when you rent a storage unit you sign a wavier anyways. I mean people put big stuff in storage units all the time and things could fall over onto you or something. So it is probably SOP to sign away your life.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 10:58 pm

Yeah, but that is a bit different than this. Still, it could be worth a shot, if having your own space is worth it to you. Give it a try--the worst that will happen is they say no.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 3:28 pm

I know that youtuber Jason Blaha trains in a storage unit. Got banned from the gym for making videos with steroid info. Don't care for him too much but he's one of the three guys along with Clint Darden and Jerry Ward that puts that info out. Don't get the wrong idea but I like learning about that stuff. I'm a sucker for the occult.

Also saw a news story about someone who turned a storage unit into a personal training studio. Well see what happens tho...

Being sick like this is really messing things up. Fuck.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 3:55 pm

I've done my fair bit of research into anabolics as well. Knowledge is power. I do like Clint Darden's videos.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:28 pm

Me too but all his content is training videos now which gets boring. He's got a pretty well rounded strength background if you think about it with the strongman and weightlifting stuff and obviously he does the power lifts.

Actually that's one reason I don't care for Jason blaha too much because he rips off Clint's whole shtick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:32 pm

Feeling better from this flu virus or whatever it is so I went in and tested things out. I lost some weight I'm down to 175 BW. Pulled 405 kinda fast and did one set if BSS with 40s but I felt ducking horrible like my heart would explode during warm up and after 405 I had no energy. . . Need a couple more days to feel 100%
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:40 pm

Adaptations made from deadlifting:

The Come Up - Page 9 Image11

Felt a little awkward striking my attempt at a bodybuilding pose. In order to make
Best use of the downlight I had to stand within the hallway which was a tight fit and I don't think all of my muscles are tight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 1:56 am

I said in the intramural thread that I would do it in wraps. That was really dumb of me for many reasons. I'm not going to mess with them. I am still not confidant squatting too far below parallel because of that thing with my knee at the turnaround. I think my squat depth is legal before that though so I'm going to wear a flat shoe and turn it around pretty much as soon as the glutes come in but I still sink down a little further as this happens. That was the thing I couldn't get a feel for with the wraps -- the stretch reflex I mean. I haven't squatted without a pause for months and I'm afraid of it because I associate the fast reversal with the knee thing.. . Honestly I felt like the wraps made everything a lot harder though. 335 in wraps felt harder than pausing 315! So I will squat a little higher and I can feel confidant like that. I'm going to do a lot of grip work and I need to start benching. Probably squat and bench sets of fives and attempt a 1RM that I feel comfortable with -- so I'm not going to do anything to peak for it. I will pull triples though because I think I need the heavy weight-feel. 5 weeks is really not very long. I'd like to bench 225 and that shouldn't be too hard. I didn't bench for more than two months at a time before and I think I've held onto most of that strength gain so a 10lbs PR doesn't seem hard at all. And I just figured out how to bench with the rest of my body properly (or at least more properly) so technique has to add someyhting (or else what is the point?) Not sure what I would squat. Pretty worried about my grip strength but I know I can make up a lot of the gap pretty fast.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Power snatch something light
VJ after potentiation -- very good results
DL 170kg/375lbs 5x3
BSS 40s 2x10
Set of 10 pull-ups

Going to progress adding 10lbs to deadlifts every week until I can't anymore. I think this is a good weight for me to lift.

Last edited by Will on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Crap I need to figure out when to do grip work.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Stop using straps so much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Fuck that I need to train the movement first and foremost. Why are u against supplemental grip work? Strongmen do that and I think maybe the Russians/Easterners
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 7:42 pm

1. The movement, as it pertains to powerlifting competition, does not involve straps. Ergo, using straps every single time you deadlift does not constitute training the movement "first and foremost".

2. I never said I was against supplemental grip work, and I'm not. However, the best way to get better at holding on to a bar without straps...is to hold on to a bar without straps. If you want to do supplemental grip work, then treat as *gasp* supplemental training! It's just like having a good "real" diet and then adding supplements.

3. Strongmen also deadlift without straps, and so do the Russians/Easterners.

Drop the ego, ditch the straps, and actually use weight you can handle. Based on your technique and bar speed today, you should not be adding weight every session.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 8:31 am

I have to agree with Chris here. While I do know that training the movement is important, you aren't really training the movement in a powerlifting specific way if you use straps too much. Say you can hit a 350 deadlift without straps and a 425 deadlift with straps (just hypothetical, I don't know your maxes). You use straps every time you pull and eventually put 15 pounds on your deadlift with straps. Your still most likely going to have 365 slip out of your hands because your grip hasn't been trained along with the rest of your body while deadlifting. By using straps you are taking out grip as a factor of the movement. Using straps too often (opposed to when you've done so many heavy sets that your grip is wrecked for the day) is letting you overload the movement in the same way as a slingshot would while bench pressing. If this is how you want to train that's fine, but I wouldn't expect to hit your max that you can with straps without them. As you mentioned you can use supplemental grip work, but that won't compensate for deadlifting with straps every time it gets heavy. I'm not saying straps are a terrible thing, but they should be used in moderation. Pulling without them will do more for your grip than any supplemental work, at least as far as the deadlift goes. This is all coming from a powerlifting specific perspective, being that I know you are planning on doing the intramural meet in a few weeks. As the competition gets closer, you should be getting more and more specific to the movements of the competition. In this case it would be deadlifting without straps. I'm not trying to argue or offend you, I know you are really knowledgable when it comes to training literature and the science of it. My views on training are based on my own experience, speaking with others, and research & reading that I've done. As I said I know you are huge into strength training literature so I'm sorry I can't really cite anything, it's kind of just a big jumble in my head. I hope some of this makes sense.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 1:41 pm

DL 385x5x3

Was supposed to do this tomorrow but I felt incredibly anxious about it from the second I woke up today so I went ahead and did the session. These felt better after a couple sets. Got a coffee after set 2 which helped a lot. Lost video of my last set which pisses me off. Ate like 1200Kcal of M&Ms last night but who's counting?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 1:57 pm

Seth, I don't believe using straps is like using a slingshot, knee wraps, or any type of elastic equipment like that. The movement doesnt get an artificial boost. They allow you to train the movement without being limited by the grip -- which is not part of the movement and can be trained just as well by doing static holds (since this is exactly what happens when u deadlift), and additionally by the usual type of fuller ROM triphasic training that we do for all of our other body parts -- this is probably a superior means of strength training for the same reason wall sits are inferior to full squats. Bottom line for me is that the grip is not part if the movement and if it limits the movement it makes a lot of sense to train the movement and grip separately.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 3:19 pm

this has probably been covered....

hook grip?
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 3:53 pm

I was comparing the straps to the slingshot as a means of overloading the movement, not artificial support but I see what you are saying. I was just speaking from my own experience and what I've seen, but different things work for different people. If your adamant about grip training then give it a shot and see how you respond to it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 3:06 am

Yeah I might have to get used to a hook grip because I'm unwilling to supinate one hand.

Video of my DL session earlier today:

I need more practice with overspeed triceps work. . . Mashette thinks I look like a douche but it is a lot of fun.

I think second set second rep looks the best to me.

Also, I need to make sure the straps are secured properly. I think it's my last set you can see in the video that the bar teeter-totters a little off the floor and obviously I can't pull as hard before I get back into equilibrium -- it's because one straps is tighter so the bar is maybe a centimeter higher on one side which changes the weight distribution a lot.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 10:21 pm

Will wrote:
I'm unwilling to supinate one hand.

Why?
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 10:31 pm

David Petersen wrote:
Will wrote:

Why?

cant tear a bicep with pronated hand
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 10:39 pm

Brometheus wrote:
David Petersen wrote:
Will wrote:

Why?

cant tear a bicep with pronated hand

You could also not tear a bicep deadlifting by not deadlifting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 12:47 am

With the way I am pulling now it seems like too big of a risk factor to introduce a grip like that. I'm pretty open to constructive suggestions about my set up and start off the floor in particular. It's kind of weird to me that the start is so hard for me and its the opposite with almost all of the very good lifters I see. I can't fathom missing anything above the knees or even high shin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Come Up
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: