The Come Up

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:12 am

Poage has a similar pull: his floor speed is a little slow but once it gets to his shins/knees he has no doubt either. I am also starting to feel like mine does this too.

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:20 pm

That's interesting that your strength curve changed like that
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:33 pm

I got some deadlifting slippers in the mail today (so now I don't have to worry about getting hassled) and I did an unplanned session. . . Actually should have squatted today. Instead:

PC 195 for maybe like 10 singles then I did a triple which fatigued my quadriceps so I stopped there.
4-5 VJ with walking approach. These are really coming along and I felt really good about them.
DL to 395 no belt or straps.

Notes: I really shouldn't have trained today. Haven't had much sleep and I've been physically exhausted from non-training shit. I was actually going to fall asleep so I prepared a herbal remedy but that actually perked me up and I felt compelled to train seeing as my slippers had just arrived. Unfortunately I haven't been eating enough lately and I'm almost positive I'm a few pounds under 180 sitting here typing this right now. Just felt like I didn't have the gas on anything. Jumps felt good but  I chalk that up to a decent potentiation (why didn't I train like this sooner?) and low bodyweight. On the DL I got a little scared because I could feel my lumbar flex a little too much 6-8 inches off the ground so I backed off just a little but at that point the lift is basically done for me anyway. Oh and my wrist is healed enough to power clean as long as I don't go for max singles and shit like that. Feel like I never get a good attempt at learning it 100% because I'm an idiot and hurt my wrist. . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Earlier today I did hang power snatch --> VJ --> squat 305 --> full depth squat jumps 225x2x2

Just now I did squat 335 (PR) --> hang power snatch --> basketball game and jumping in several styles

I think I'm going to do something like a heavy single one day and try to get in a lot of volume another day. I did a pyramid of like 10 sets last week training with Janis and Kyle and I think that helped. Not really too concerned with a squat program. Jumps felt a little heavy but I was still getting up alright. I think it's time to take a break and rest for several days. Probably won't do anything intense until Friday's deadlifting but I will do squats tomorrow night or the next morning -- probably a smaller pyramid than last time and not any heavier.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:50 pm

DL 445 (PR) -- lockout was surprisingly hard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:21 pm

DL 395x5x3

These are feeling much different. You can see things changing in the 445 video where lockout is a little hard. Lockout was very difficult on some of the 3rd reps. Once again I lifted on an empty stomach and I really felt pretty crappy. Wanted to get a coffee but the line was really long (wtf some kid had a birthday party at those tables between the weightroom and pool??). Another bad thing is that I definitely need to up my strength-endurance in my low back. Back didn't hold up very well. I felt like I was tip-toeing close to injury.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:04 am

Malanichev says come at his wraps bro

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:34 pm

No wonder he didn't hit depth  bounce 
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Will wrote:
No wonder he didn't hit depth  bounce 

gettn really good at trolling

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Wasnt very explosive today I messed around with some overhead backwards med ball throws then missed 235 which somehow almost hit me in the forehead during the squat under. Then I squatted to 315x3 then tried to repeat that but missed the third rep. When it gets close to my limit I favor the left side and I was thinking too much about that which is why I think I failed. Fucking conditioned reflex from not having a working gluteus maximus. Took it down to 275 and I think I had the motor pattern better. The good news is that I don't think it's a lack of absolute glute strength just I've just got this developed reflex to favor the other side when I hit fight or flight mode. This actually felt like my first real squat session in a very very long time. It's the same way I felt on DL when I did 375x5x3 three weeks ago to start that progression (which i attribute my severely altered strength curve and recent gains to) The weight has to be sufficiently heavy IMO and its something that just resonates with me as my body feels the weight. So I think I need to keep getting quality volume with lifts above 300 and I think this will shoot up. My quads are fucking destroyed -- instantaneous onset muscle soreness -- heavy eccentrics and iso/quasi-isometrics tend to do that is my observation.

Last edited by Will on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:23 pm

David Petersen wrote:
gettn really good at trolling

People don't realize that trolling is a trainable skill.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:33 pm

As most things are
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:12 pm

DL 403x5x3:

The whole pull is kind of evening out. I can't really point to a part of the lift and say that it's my weakness. I cut my finger yesterday and I broke it open putting my belt on for the second set. I have video of myself messing with the straps for like 45 seconds trying not to use my thumb to wrap it around the bar. It didn't bother me lifting but I bleed on the bar a little. I'm a little worried how I'm going to pull with a hook grip though. . .

And thanks to Seth for being a good guy and hanging out until I finished my DLs like an asshole before he could lock up the room
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Looks like I won't be able to do the meet since I'm not a student :-(
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:47 am

Yes, that will be affecting a few people, unfortunately.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Will wrote:
Looks like I won't be able to do the meet since I'm not a student :-(

Chris Anderson wrote:
Yes, that will be affecting a few people, unfortunately.

pardon the officials while they casually look the other way

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:18 pm

The rec bldg is kinda cool. I couldn't use the track while the team was practicing but I met a few of the athletes who wandered onto the mezzanine and talked about high jumping, people we might know, et al. Some things to jot down:

1) My squat isn't going to improve without some kind of LP

2) I'm really fucking inelastic. Tried depth jumps for the first time EVER and I wasn't getting much higher than the 18" bench I used. This is saddening.

3) Just like my squat isn't going to improve without goading it into a preogression, I don't think my jumping is going to improve much doing impromptu max effort attempts without a progression to that intensity.

4a) I'm definitely settling down a bit though. I was 100% nuts late summer & early fall and it got me no where. I'm pretty dead set on planning like this after I make another deadlift 1RM attempt: a stage of 10RM with the highest volume of assistance work, a stage of 5x5 DLs with very high specific volume, and a stage of 5x3. This is very similar to how my DL training has panned out since I started training it but this next time I'm going to flush it out and stick to this program. I feel like I'm in a training groove so I'm not worried about compliance. . . at least I haven't changed my mind yet :-)

4b) I think the simplest thing to do for squats is 5x5 for as long as that takes me. This is how I made the most progress on squats. It was very easy and since I stopped that I haven't really made any progress.

4c) I'll do a third day of complex training: plyo, accelerate plyo, weighted jump, squat (a second day of squatting) and really try and do all this the right way.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:35 pm

+1 on the 5x5 squatting twice a week. IMO, after running Starting Strength / Stronglifts, i found that running Madcow / Texas method was an excellent follow up in case you want to check it out.

Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:49 pm

Will, do you want to get a sick deadlift or max out your jumps? I'm not saying the two are mutually exclusive, but training for both at once wouldn't be optimal for either, imho.

Weird that your depth jumps are so bad considering your jumping history. Didn't you do a bunch of amortizing snatch training a while back too? I get they're on completely different parts of the F/V curve, but you'd think there would still be a little transference of training.

I'd be interested in your shock training day. I'm considering adding that to my training just to see what happens. It will probably be periodized to involve an initial phase of depth drops from increasing heights and then depth jumps from increasing heights, not sure when I'll add in box jumps (I know they aren't true plyos), I'll have to consult SST.

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Just do some Kalvin Alvy reverse band depth jumps, you got this.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:25 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
Just do some Kalvin Alvy reverse band depth jumps, you got this.

LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:43 am

Nathan Poage wrote:
Will, do you want to get a sick deadlift or max out your jumps?  I'm not saying the two are mutually exclusive, but training for both at once wouldn't be optimal for either, imho.  

Weird that your depth jumps are so bad considering your jumping history.  Didn't you do a bunch of amortizing snatch training a while back too?  I get they're on completely different parts of the F/V curve, but you'd think there would still be a little transference of training.  

I'd be interested in your shock training day.  I'm considering adding that to my training just to see what happens.  It will probably be periodized to involve an initial phase of depth drops from increasing heights and then depth jumps from increasing heights, not sure when I'll add in box jumps (I know they aren't true plyos), I'll have to consult SST.  

Now that you mention it I think the DLs must have a negative transfer the way I've been doing them recently with very slow max efforts. I noticed during one leg take offs that it felt like the ground contact time was too short and I was still winding up to apply max force and I don't really feel too comfortable taking more than one or two approach steps.

I never actually did those amortizing snatches. I keep posting about all this elastic shit I should be doing and I never do it. I think since my jump training has been so abysmal that I can still make good use of complex training before moving onto BTS.

I donno why anyone would do box jumps for any reasons except (1) to reduce the impact of landings or (2) to teach the switching between extension and flexion. Unless you're an oly lifter I don't really see the point.

Prolly a good idea to do the depth drops first if you don't ever do much landing from jumps. I'm gonna put a lot of thinking and more research into this and make a sensible decision on how to do it and I'll write something up about my plan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:47 am

Definitely open to your input Poage
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:04 am

I'm actually thinking that I need to do those depth drops before I do depth jumps too and that could be a contributing factor to the huge gap between VJ and DJ. if anything it should be the opposite at the correct height (and 18" isn't too tall) I don't actually land from max effort jumps at these joint angles. I usually break at the hips and knees more. I also haven't been playing much basketball and I never shoot jump shots :0 so there's really no eccentric-isometric like that being trained.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:41 am

Well my CMJ is bigger than my three-step approach because I'm uncoordinated as fuck, so take everything I say with a grain of salt  bounce 

Quote :
Now that you mention it I think the DLs must have a negative transfer the way I've been doing them recently with very slow max efforts. I noticed during one leg take offs that it felt like the ground contact time was too short and I was still winding up to apply max force and I don't really feel too comfortable taking more than one or two approach steps.
Yup, train slow, perform slow.

Quote :
I never actually did those amortizing snatches. I keep posting about all this elastic shit I should be doing and I never do it.
No judgment here. I've been doing that with bench press for the past two years.

Quote :
I donno why anyone would do box jumps for any reasons except (1) to reduce the impact of landings or (2) to teach the switching between extension and flexion. Unless you're an oly lifter I don't really see the point.
I do them whenever I feel like my motor potential just isn't quite there. Sometimes it does the trick that day and more often than not I will feel more "online" the next day. I would prefer these over depth jumps precisely for the reason that it's reduced impact. I got the idea from a S&C coach at Carver who said the eccentric and amortizing phases are basically the most taxing thing you can do to your nervous system, thus box jumps over depth jumps right before competition events. On the other hand, I've seen track athletes do depth jumps the day before competition events and I seem to remember Natalia Verkhoshansky calling them "the cherry on top" for competition prep, so I remain perplexed. Time for trial and error, I guess.

Quote :
Prolly a good idea to do the depth drops first if you don't ever do much landing from jumps. I'm gonna put a lot of thinking and more research into this and make a sensible decision on how to do it and I'll write something up about my plan.
Samesies. After my exam tomorrow I'll try to find some relevant stuff about vertical jumping in STT and dig up some Verkhoshansky powerpoints in my dropbox.

Quote :
I never shoot jump shots
Taking it to the paint every time, huh? Das nice, mang. Ball hard.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   

Back to top Go down

The Come Up
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: