AuthorMessage
Zcleve
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:11 pm

Friday the 8th:

Squats.
Warmup sets.
3 sets of 5x245. They felt a lot better. I was able to bounce out of the bottom of the hole... A little. I know it will take time to trigger the stretch reflex strongly at a consistent rate, but I'm happy with this progression all the same. Especially since I'm certain I can start progressing in linear fashion once again.

Military Press
This is the lift I'm most happy with, since the progress has been less impeded than all of the other lifts.
Warmup sets.
3 sets of 5x125.

Barbell Rows
Warmup sets.
3 sets of 5x185.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zcleve
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:42 am

Oops. Funny how easy it is to forget to log.
Last week I deadlifted 405 x 1, after a set of 370x5. My last deadlift session was 375, and I'm hoping I'll pull off 380x5 on Sunday (though I may have to drop - I've been running deadlifts first and my squat progression is going virtually nowhere). I think a solid 1rm of 435 is in the cards in a matter of weeks/month (whenever I hit 405x5 comfortably).

Tonight, despite feeling like I tore something in my abdomen, I squatted 250x5x3. This was a drop from last week's 260x5x3. I noted that my elbows were going in different directions, so there are plenty more form issues to contend with. I military pressed 130x5x3. The guy in the squat rack right in front of me military pressing 85 pounds with a limited range of motion (barely down to his forehead and back up, vs. my coming all the way down to my chest) noticed me watching him and gave me a dirty look. Heh.

I did a set of barbell rows at 185x5x3. In retrospect, I could have done more, but my abdomen was aggravated enough by the squats. Last week I did 195x5x3, so I'm sort of disappointed I didn't at least try to hit 200.

Once again, I'm noting the absurdity of how close my squat is to my upper body lifts. I wouldn't mind having some diagnostic help on the arm positioning on Sunday, if anyone is free. I'm putting a bizarre amount of strain on my wrists.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:34 pm

Yo, DL race to 500lbs? Willing to put up money.
Back to top Go down
Zcleve
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:19 am

Haha, maybe. Last night I could barely pull 365 for 2 reps, then subsequently for several 1 rep pulls. I don't know what happened. It was probably a bad sign that I went in there feeling physically wrecked beforehand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:47 am

Did you mean to pull 365x5?
Back to top Go down
Zcleve
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:12 am

Yeah, and the really bizarre thing is that in terms of my linear progression, I should have been able to manage that easily. I was theoretically all set to pull 380x5 that night. I pulled 375x5 last time I deadlifted, and only dropped to 365 because 380 felt like too much. Throwing in that 1rm of 405 last week probably messed with my long term recovery. I'm hoping to salve my bruised ego by military pressing 135x5x3 today.

Once I get back on track with deadlifting, a race sounds like fun. I wonder if there's a Smolov variant for deadlifts (research time!). I would probably need the squat version more, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:21 am

Zcleve wrote:
Yeah, and the really bizarre thing is that in terms of my linear progression, I should have been able to manage that easily. I was theoretically all set to pull 380x5 that night. I pulled 375x5 last time I deadlifted, and only dropped to 365 because 380 felt like too much. Throwing in that 1rm of 405 last week probably messed with my long term recovery. I'm hoping to salve my bruised ego by military pressing 135x5x3 today.

Once I get back on track with deadlifting, a race sounds like fun. I wonder if there's a Smolov variant for deadlifts (research time!). I would probably need the squat version more, though.
Two things:

1) while i applaud you on the 405 PR i hope that the lesson learned is to run the program as stated so as not to affect your training later. Welcome to the 4-plate club

2) smolov is strictly a squat program and a peaking program. One of the typical responses people have is their deadlifts increase concurrently with their squat. Smolov is brutal so if for some reason you decide to run it one day, i advise you to take it seriously

Zcleve
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking that my gains have fizzled out enough on Starting Strength that I may need to switch programs (I will attempt a large deload first). My 1rm for the deadlift and military press place me in the intermediate range in the EXRX strength standards, easily. My hypothetical squat 1rm might. My terrible, terrible bench doesn't make the cut though.

Should I think of switching to Madcow, The Texas Method, 5/3/1 or another intermediate routine soon?
Otherwise, I know I can't complain about my current plateau because I know I've been lucky to experience the rapid gains I have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zcleve
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:41 am

Also, is Smolov Jr. for bench a stupid routine to consider this early?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:00 pm

IMO, before you switch you should make sure that your technique is spot on. I know your squat needs a couple of small tweaks and i have not seen you bench. So check those and make the necessary changes. Executing the lifts with superb form will get you stronger much faster than any program will. I think a week of deload would also be a good idea. Keep the weights light (~50%), rest up, reset the numbers, and come back ready to SFW.

I have never ran smolov jr in my career. IMO, since your bench is still weak and needs some tuning up, do not run it.

Zcleve
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks, Grant. My form is definitely terrible on bench and squat. I'm still sore from that stretch/tear in my abdomen, so deloading sounds like a plan. I'm also going to run those "so you think you can squat/bench" videos on repeat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Zcleve wrote:
Also, is Smolov Jr. for bench a stupid routine to consider this early?
Yes. You will benefit most at this point from continuing to work on your bench press technique. Smolov Jr. is an unnecessary strain at this point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Zcleve wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking that my gains have fizzled out enough on Starting Strength that I may need to switch programs (I will attempt a large deload first). My 1rm for the deadlift and military press place me in the intermediate range in the EXRX strength standards, easily. My hypothetical squat 1rm might. My terrible, terrible bench doesn't make the cut though.

Should I think of switching to Madcow, The Texas Method, 5/3/1 or another intermediate routine soon?
Otherwise, I know I can't complain about my current plateau because I know I've been lucky to experience the rapid gains I have.
Consider first resetting your training weights by 30 lbs. and re-running SS. If you're training your squat, take 255 down to 220, then progress as normal until you pass 255.

Those longer resets will help because a.) you'll be granted more time to improve your technique and b.) you'll still get stronger, even with sub-max work. Your squat is looking better all the time, but it will probably still be a while before you're comfortable with these lifts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Zcleve
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Tonight, I dropped squats to 225. Before that, I did my long-awaited military press of 135x5x3. Which, I know, is not particularly great, but I have been looking forward to loading the 45 pound plates on either side. Suffice it to say, I'm excited to reach this point. This excited, to be exact:

In all honesty, my face probably looked like this in the more difficult last set:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zcleve
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:37 pm

That pain in my side is getting worse. I'll probably take a break until Sunday, or even Tuesday. I'll start a total deload on all of my lifts then, per Kyle's suggestion. I may work on a calorie deficit too, in order to get rid of some of the considerable gut I've developed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Zcleve wrote:
That pain in my side is getting worse.
wat happen
Back to top Go down
Zcleve
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:42 am

Will wrote:
Zcleve wrote:
That pain in my side is getting worse.
wat happen
I'm not sure yet. For about a week, I've had a pain in my left side that feels like a stretch/tear. Lifting continuously through it has only exacerbated the discomfort, and made squatting even 225 tonight a strenuous chore. I'm on mini-lifting break now before I really mess something up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zach Cleve's Training Log   

Back to top Go down

Zach Cleve's Training Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2