Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The 1400 or Bust Log

Go down 
+5
Quadfather
KevinAlvy
Keosawa
David Petersen
Chris Anderson
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 4:11 pm

RUM Intense Cycle
W1D1

Squat
295x9x4

Paused Bench Press
215x6x6

Notes: This begins my RUM prep cycle, which will consist of the smolov base cycle for squats, smolov jr. for bench, and a cluster-set wave for deadlifts.

Over the weekend, I had a couple more mediocre training sessions. Honestly, my training hasn't gone spectacularly well this cycle, besides some solid benching and a few good squat sessions. I've decided that gambling on a peaking program would be best for me at this point. We'll see how it turns out. I set my numbers down a bit initially, so as to ease into it.

Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 11:04 pm

How do wraps fit into your Smolov journey? Did I miss that part of the video?
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 11:40 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
How do wraps fit into your Smolov journey?  Did I miss that part of the video?

Also curious
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 11:43 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
How do wraps fit into your Smolov journey?  Did I miss that part of the video?

I'm doing 5x3 instead of 10x3 on the last session of the week and using wraps for it. I'm using a starting max of 500, so the weeks will be 425x5x3, 435x5x3, and 445x5x3. The other days are very do-able, but I'll have to see how I handle the wrapped days. I cut the volume for a few reasons, namely a.) I want to continue doing deadlifting, and something probably has to give in order for that to happen, b.) squatting in wraps for ten sets will really suck, and c.) breaking down for a ton of really heavy wrapped sets is probably going to kill me.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 11:44 pm

RUM Intense Cycle
W1D2

Squat
(rep x set)
315x7x5

Rear Delt Flys, three sets

Lat Pulldowns, four sets

Hip Abduction, three sets

Notes: The first week of this base cycle for squat should be pretty easy, beyond possibly the modified wrapped day (I'm not sure at all how well I'll be able to sustain my workload over five sets in wraps, but I set my starting max low to be conservative).

So, unsurprisingly, this went pretty well. I don't feel as fluid or as fast as I have in the past with this, but I take that as a good thing; that leads me to believe that I have room to improve here. This time, I'm committed to maintaining a baseline of assistance training, and I was able to get in some additional work after squats--it wasn't at regular intensity by any means, but something is better than nothing. I will pace myself on that stuff so as to not burn out early.

The next few days should be fun. I bench on back-to-back days (230x5x7 tomorrow and 245x4x8 on Thursday), and though the individual sets aren't really difficult, the total workload will probably kick my ass. On Friday, I deadlift in the morning and return in the afternoon to squat. This will be the case up until the meet; I have no classes or other obligations on Fridays, so I might as well use that time for a double session. More benching (260x3x10) will take place on Saturday, followed by squatting (425x3x5) in wraps on Sunday. To manage the volume and off-set some of the deadlifting, I've halved the total workload on day four of Smolov, doing only five sets instead of ten. This, however, will allow me to continue squatting in wraps right up until the meet. 430 for triples shouldn't be too bad, but again, I'm not sure how well I can sustain the volume; 420x4x3 kicked my butt last week, so if the exertion on these is just too high and I fail reps, I'll reduce the weight a bit for subsequent weeks.

Anyway, here's video.

Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 11:47 pm

Run Train on this double base cycle.

Srs...

Run
Train
On
This
Shit
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 12:09 am

RIP Keough-Voshell Sunday Bench Days
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 9:21 am

In for smolov jr
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 1:50 am

RUM intense cycle, W1D3

Paused Bench Press
230x5x7

Notes: Another slow-as-molasses bench session. It may or may not be partly due to the bench setup I've been using; I'm guessing fatigue from recent training is also playing a role. The first time I ran this, I was really beat up by the end of the first week, then caught a second wind and felt much better. Things will probably get worse before they get better, but I'll weather the storm and acclimate.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 4:42 pm

RUM intense cycle, W1D4

Paused Bench Press
245x4x8

Rear Delt Flys
10x15
10x15
10x15

Face Pulls, in kg
42.5x20
42.5x20
42.5x20

Some external rotations (after finishing benching).

Notes: This bench session went much better than the first two, something I attribute to 1.) feeling a bit better and starting to acclimate to the training load and 2.) smearing everything that hurt with Tiger Balm beforehand. The only thing that was bothering me was my left front delt, which is strained pretty good at the moment. I'm going to ice it aggressively over the next two days, and hopefully I see improvement with it in time for Saturday's 260x3x10.

Otherwise, this is great progress, and if every session goes like this, I'll cruise through this training cycle.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 4:48 pm

stay safe
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 8:23 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
stay safe

Go big or go home.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 10:29 pm

fine
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 12:11 am

KevinAlvy wrote:
fine

Get big or die trying.

In all seriousness, I'm doing everything I can right now to try and stay safe. I really really really really don't want to get hurt. I'm thinking this shoulder strain will go away in a few days, but I will be as careful as I can be in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Kyle Keough wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:
fine

Get big or die mirin.

In all seriousness, I'm doing everything I can right now to try and stay safe. I really really really really don't want to get hurt. I'm thinking this shoulder strain will go away in a few days, but I will be as careful as I can be in the meantime.

Fixed

Good luck man. Get after it and try not to let the ego get the best of you in the end if things slip
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 2:17 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
Kyle Keough wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:
fine

Get big or die mirin.

Fixed

Good luck man. Get after it and try not to let the ego get the best of you in the end if things slip

For sure. It's just hard on this program because I'm usually going to feel crappy to some degree. It's hard to know where "normal" overuse aches and pains end and serious warning signs begin. Comparatively speaking, I was more beat up on the bench the first time I ran this than I am now (I remember the end of that first week being a really rough one), so I'm just going to trust my gut as I go through the process. Hopefully it will go well, but training like this will be a calculated risk regardless.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Brometheus wrote:
RIP Keough-Voshell Sunday Bench Days

Prescient thoughts from Brometheus.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Friday AM:

Deadlifts
405x16 (2:30 min. cluster set)
405x9
405x9
405x9

Friday PM:

Squats
(reps x sets)
335x5x7

Notes: Friday's AM session went fairly well; deadlifting felt solid and the bar-speed wasn't too bad. I gave myself three minutes on the cluster set but finished at about 2:30. The goal I had in my head was 20 reps, but I decided to stop after 16; I could have probably eeked out a bunch more, but I figured I'd be a little conservative for now and just get in the proscribed reps. The hardest part was probably just the burning of my lungs from doing something that resembles aerobic training. 405x9x3 was pretty easy.

So, I was happy about the session. It was a fun one, it wasn't terribly easy, and I got in some good quality work. Next week is 455x cluster AMAP, then 405x10x3; my goal for that cluster will be in the range of 12-14 reps. The following week is 500x cluster AMAP, then 405x11x3; 8-10 reps puts me right where I need to be for the meet. If I can pull 500x10 within four minutes' time while doing Smolov, I'll be capable of a good deadlift. So, let's go make it happen!!!

For the PM session: squats felt a little off-balance and slow, but 335x5x7 didn't give me much trouble. I would have liked to have the bar-speed be a little better on these, but I didn't come close to failure, either. I figured I might be a little fatigued from the morning deadlifting, and my glutes, which are now sore, just weren't activating well. Overall though, I'm happy with the progress. I'm still managing the sets very easily. The key, for me, will come with the wrapped squatting day; I'll have to see how easily I can (or can't) sustain those sets.

Anyway, that's it! 260x3x10 for me today. Left shoulder's back to a point where it's feeling fine; hopefully it holds up during the session. Last year, I remember really struggling with this day, so hopefully today I go in and dominate it.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 3:52 pm

Paused Bench Press
260x3x10

Face Pulls, two sets

External Rotations, four sets

Notes: The bar-speed on these was "meh," but I can tell my bench is starting to click. My left shoulder was pretty unhappy from start to finish, but the good news is that a.) I was able to manage it and b.) it got a bit better, not worse, as the session went on.

Overall, this was a good session, and I can just tell that I'm going to start moving these faster when my shoulders get over the shock of the increased frequency.

Today, I've got my 5x3 (formerly 10x3) day. I'm feeling good, but I've decided to drop the weight down to 410 (this is my wrapped day); this is one instance in which I feel that less will be more, and using lighter training weights will allow me to do these without wrapping that tightly. It'll be easier on my body, and it'll allow me to possibly go beyond the five sets for the day, if I'm still feeling good. Time to keep pushing and keep making progress; after today, there will be only two weeks of training left, and I have to get as much out of them as possible.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 4:00 pm

RUM Intense Cycle
W1D7

Squats
w/ wraps
410x3x5

unwrapped
355x3x5

Leg Curls
BWx200

IYT holds, 30-sec. apiece, five positions

One-armed rows, three sets

Band Pushdowns, five sets

Notes: Today was my fourth squat day; here, I do five sets with wrapped squatting. I'm glad that I brought the weight down from 420 to 410, because even though the reps themselves weren't terribly difficult, it will be easier to sustain with lighter weight. I'm using a "lighter" wrap for these sets, so the resulting intensity isn't that different from what I'd otherwise be doing. The important thing here is just acclimating to the work and absorbing all the volume, so taking the percentages down a bit was a good idea. I have the flexibility to go up as much or as little as I please, so next week will be somewhere between 420-430, and I'll end the third week somewhere between 430-450.

I decided to do the remaining five sets without wraps. My modification of the program doesn't have me doing these sets (because I'm deadlifting), but I felt OK, so I just went ahead with it. 355x3x5 was easy, though it's hard for me to squat unwrapped after squatting in wraps--it feels very odd, and you can see that in how slow my first reps looked.

Overall, the first week has gone well. Squatting feels good; I'm not really tight or achy, and so my body feels pretty good. This will likely change as I keep going, but I'm being very aggressive with my SMR, so I'm hoping that will pay off. Benching feels a lot worse, but I think I will turn a corner at some point soon. I'm hoping for a less painful session today, and I'm hoping for better bar-speed.

The goals for today's session are:

1.) Match or increase bar-speed from last week's 9x4 and 6x6 days.
2.) Protect my shoulders on bench as much as I can.

If I can be successful in those two goals, I will consider this day a success. Just logging the reps is not good enough at this point, and every rep needs to be performed as well as possible for me to make the sort of progress I want.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 12:18 am

Paused Bench Press
220x6x6

Squats
305x9x4

Notes: As far as goals #1 and #2 for today's session go, I was pretty successful on #2, and partially successful on #1, but overall this day was very successful. I'll go through the details:

On bench, I measured out my first set of 215x6x6 (done last Monday) as averaging ~.6 sec. for a concentric. Today, I measured out on 220x6x6 at ~.45 sec. on my first set. So, that's a huge increase (.15 to .2, or 25% to 33% faster than last week with five more pounds) in a short period of time. I think I am really acclimating to the bench volume and starting to see my bench take off. We'll see if this continues on, but this was one of my best paused bench sessions in a long time. Next week, I will try to be even faster with 225.

On squat, I moved about .2 to .3 slower (eccentric and concentric), a decrease of ~11% to 16% from last week (295 last week, 305 this week). That's a small regression, likely due to the fact that I'm still acclimating to the volume--I squatted ten sets on the previous day, so I am probably still recovering from that training.

My squat was just OK, but my bench was great. Physically, I feel good for all the squatting--my legs just sort of still have that "dead" feel that comes with a ton of training. I am still achy on the bench, and my shoulder acted up a bit, but it was nothing compared to the 260x3x10 day. If I can continue aggressively pushing recovery, I should really start moving these bench weights well.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 12:20 am

Watch to the end of the video for a little surprise.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 10:36 am

thatgirl'sdepth/10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 3:43 pm

LOL

Did u say anything to her?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 5:52 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
thatgirl'sdepth/10

First time in a long time I've crushed someone in depth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   The 1400 or Bust Log - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 1400 or Bust Log
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next