AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Will wrote:
LOL

Did u say anything to her?

Dude, I waited until right after she finished her set to get set up, thinking that I'd be able to get my next one done before she started again, and that most people aren't going to set up in my cage as I'm squatting. Obviously, I was wrong about everything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:28 pm

First off, I liked that video and what you said about higher volume training....But to the important matter at hand....Wow. Just WoW. I've never seen this before. I was already losing hope in humanity as everyone returned to CRWC. This confirms everything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:38 pm

I watched this video in the library earlier with the volume off...I am very glad I watched it again with it on.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:03 am

Andy Awad wrote:
First off, I liked that video and what you said about higher volume training....But to the important matter at hand....Wow.  Just WoW. I've never seen this before.  I was already losing hope in humanity as everyone returned to CRWC.  This confirms everything.

It was okay. It didn't really bother me much. To be honest, she's just a girl, in a gym with a bunch of dudes, trying not to look so out of place. I can empathize with that; I find that nine times out of ten, people get in my way simply because they don't know any better. That's what happens when you're surrounded by people who are training in more of a casual fashion and aren't focused on competition; they don't see it as getting in the way, because they don't see "lifting weights" as that serious a thing.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:04 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
I watched this video in the library earlier with the volume off...I am very glad I watched it again with it on.

My secret revenge. And stay tuned for the "Janis with her arms crossed" tribute video.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:26 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
It was okay. It didn't really bother me much. To be honest, she's just a girl, in a gym with a bunch of dudes, trying not to look so out of place. I can empathize with that; I find that nine times out of ten, people get in my way simply because they don't know any better. That's what happens when you're surrounded by people who are training in more of a casual fashion and aren't focused on competition; they don't see it as getting in the way, because they don't see "lifting weights" as that serious a thing.

You know, you're right.  I need to keep that in mind more often and I'll probably be less frustrated.  And at least she wasn't doing pull ups.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:43 pm

Andy Awad wrote:
Kyle Keough wrote:

You know, you're right.  I need to keep that in mind more often and I'll probably be less frustrated.  And at least she wasn't doing pull ups.

I forget it from time to time as well. It's easy to get frustrated in that place.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:50 pm

RUM Intense Cycle
W2D2

Paused Bench Press
(rep x set)
235x5x5
235x10

Notes: Today was supposed to be 235x5x7, but we were running short on time with our meter, so I combined the last two sets. The bar-speed was good, and I felt like I could have easily broken my rep max (235x12) had I wanted to.

Otherwise, I stayed within the program. There was a slight uptick in bar-speed from this week (versus last week w/ 230). Concentric speed with this weight is in the .4-.5 range, and that's pretty good. The test will be to see how well my concentric speed holds up on heavier days. If I get to a place where my first reps on the 265/270 days are ~.5 sec., that will put my max somewhere in the range of 320 lbs. I'm halfway through the program and this is definitely the best my bench has ever felt--it might be unrealistic to expect more than a very modest increase, but I think a third attempt in the neighborhood of 320 would be reasonable for this meet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:17 pm

Down vote for meter change
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
And stay tuned for the "Janis with her arms crossed" tribute video.

This should be good
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:11 pm

Repped for beating smolov jr's butt and for not letting iowa city win the parking ticket battle

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Solid rep/neg battle going on ITT.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Okay; going to update the past few days of training:

Wednesday:

RUM Intense Cycle
W2D3

Squats
(rep x set)
325x7x5

Thursday:

RUM Intense Cycle
W2D4

Paused Bench Press
(rep x set)
250x4x8

Friday:

RUM Intense Cycle
W2D5

Deadlift
(rep x set)
405x10x4

Squats
(rep x set)
345x5x5
345x10

Notes: I'll go through everything day by day:

W2D3 (Wednesday): I really focused on bar-speed for these sets with 325. The weight itself wasn't difficult, and I wasn't close to failure on any of the sets. Most of the training was pretty easy, though I did start to slow down towards the end. The first few sets with 325 (particularly the second) measured out to be as fast as I've ever squatted this weight, and faster than when I was towards the end of my Smolov training last spring. My squat still "feels" slow, but the eccentric-concentric is measuring out quite well.

W2D4 (Thursday): Solid bar-speed on these paused benches. Definitely a slight regression from the first two sessions, but those were so fast that this was bound to happen. My shoulders have officially recovered from the training; now, I've got some achiness in my joints that makes pressing a little harder, but I'm biting down and grimacing through it. As has been my policy with pain since starting this program, I will just beat it to death with more volume.

W2D5 (Friday): This was supposed to be two sessions, but due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to combine them into one. Long story short, I did not want to train on this day. I sucked it up and ran off of anger until I felt a little better. I kept myself from doing a too-emotional cluster set and instead opted for 405x10x4 deadlifting; those reps moved as well as they have for me in a long time, probably since I pulled 600 lbs., and I probably could have managed 405x20 had I really pushed it. The bar-speed at lockout was fantastic, and I will probably pull at the field house again next week because the bar there felt so much better than the CRWC ones. Thank you to Grant for training with me, and to Janis, for being supportive when it mattered.

I used a thicker bar to squat with, and that felt very awkward (and very tough). Again, first-rep speed was the worst. I wasn't near failure on anything, but my legs are so achy right now that it's hard to get the right muscles to fire at the right time. 345x10 was my way of saying fuck-you to the programming, and to show it who daddy is. I went home and took a cold-water bath for my legs; this will become a regular practice if it helps me feel at all better. At least it cuts down on the amount of time I'm spending icing.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:55 am

RUM Intense Cycle
W2D6

Paused Bench Press
265x3x10

Notes: These started smooth and faded as my tendonitis flared up. I'm working like hell to try and treat it and bring it down as much as I can. The programming is working, but not every day feels good. The good news, at least, is that I am still cruising through it much easier than when I ran it last year. 270x3x10 next week will be a challenge, but it's do-able if I am able to get this under control a little bit. I'm squatting just 430x3x5 in wraps today; I feel fine this morning, but I'm going to make wrapped squatting the focus for these last two sessions and not do the additional unwrapped stuff.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:47 am

Are you planning on going to the CRWC today?

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:11 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Are you planning on going to the CRWC today?

Yep--heading over there in a few minutes, actually. Going to train early today to get my squatting over and done with.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:18 pm

Alright then. Are you going to come to the training session and hang out a bit? If you can't/don't want to, I understand, but I think it would be good to have you around. If you could bring one of those intramural meet flyers (either to the session or just the meeting) that would be fantastic, as well.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:46 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Alright then. Are you going to come to the training session and hang out a bit? If you can't/don't want to, I understand, but I think it would be good to have you around. If you could bring one of those intramural meet flyers (either to the session or just the meeting) that would be fantastic, as well.

Blah. Sorry, I will come around to hang out more in the future. My training right now just consists of 1.) training and 2.) wanting to die post-training. I'm going to bring those flyers to the meeting.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:38 pm

objective numero uno was accomplished, so that's all that matters

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
objective numero uno was accomplished, so that's all that matters

Truth. And if I can complete everything I have planned for this upcoming week, I will be in great shape.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:16 pm

RUM Intense Cycle
W2D7

Squats
365x3x8
365x6

Notes: This one was a slog. 365 doesn't move that slowly on video, but it felt heavy as hell. I ditched the wraps for this session just to focus on overall volume; after feeling 365 for the first few sets, it probably turned out to be a very good idea. About midway through the session, I realized the speed just wasn't going to be there--and I was only going to make mistakes by trying too hard to produce it--so I started just focusing more on maintaining position. That made the reps more manageable, even if bar-speed was poor. I psyched up for the last two sets and combined them together to get the work done and to make those reps easier. If only I could stimulate an adrenal response for everything I do in training...
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:35 pm

RUM Intense Cycle
W3D1

Squats:
325x9x4

Paused Bench Press
225x6x2
225x12x2

Notes: Probably my best, most complete training session of this training cycle. Nevermind that it took a good three hours--at least one of which was spent waiting for a platform and a bench.

Squat eccentric-concentric speeds measured very comparably to W1D1, and that's +30 lbs. (325 versus 295). On most reps for my first set, I beat the rep-speeds from W1D1 by a few hundredths of a second, and my fastest set was actually my fourth and last set. It looks like I came pretty close to a 1.5-sec. eccentric-concentric on some of those reps, which would be awesome. Hopefully bar-speed sees a slight uptick (not that I'll be measuring it much, if at all) during the supercompensation period. I imagine that this session would have measured highest had I been hooked up to a tendo unit for it.

Benches were fine--tendonitis wasn't much of an issue for this lighter weight and I handled the reps well. I doubled up on the last two sets, and that actually made it a little easier on my joints--it felt like the induced blood flow helped ease the pain a bit.

The week ahead should be a tough one, but day #1 was a success.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 pm

RUM Intense Cycle
W3D2

Paused Bench Press
240x5x3
240x10
240x10

LIGHT Flys, three sets

Rear Delt Flys, three sets

Lat Pulldowns, three sets

Notes: Janis, Will, and I went to train at the field house today, and it was nice training in a quieter environment. Training today was pretty relaxed and pretty enjoyable. I felt like I adjusted to the setup at the field house pretty well, and 240 felt pretty light. My tendonitis was a minor nuisance through some of the work, but it really didn't limit me much at all. Working with iron again felt great, and everything moved well.

I am starting to be an idiot again by doubling up sets, and I admit that I did 240x12 to hit a rep PR; I guess at this point the training cycle is almost over, so there isn't much of a reason to save something for later training sessions. I doubt I'll be doing this once the training intensity goes up on Thursday, but the first two bench sessions have at least gone really well.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:02 pm

RUM Intense Cycle
W3D3

Squats
(rep x set)
345x7x5

Notes: This wasn't quite as good as 325x9x4, but I still think that overall, my bar-speed was quite good here. I have definitely seen an increase in strength from the start of the program, and I'm still feeling pretty good on it. The next session (365x5x7) will be a nice test for me, but the BIG test will come when I try to do 450x3x5 on Sunday. If that happens, then I'm in great shape for this meet.

Otherwise, I feel good about all three lifts right now, which hasn't been the case in quite a while. There is more training to be done, and that training will be VERY important, but with three days left in this week (and maybe four days, tops, left in total), I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:29 pm

RUM Intense Cycle
W3D4

Paused Bench Press
(rep x set)
270x3x6
270x6x2 (PR)

Band Pull-Aparts, three sets

Notes: First off, I swapped the 10x3 and 8x4 days on my program because 10x3 is usually the hardest for me to recover from; I figured taking it ten days out from the meet would be the best course of action, especially if it caused my tendonitis to flare up. Surprisingly, that didn't happen at all (it's apparently doing a lot better now), and I must say that this is the best I've felt for one of the heavy bench sessions this entire training cycle.

This is also the fastest that my bench has moved on the 10x3 day, and I was able to manage the fatigue much better than when I did 260x3x10. Rather than fade towards the final sets, I instead combined the last four together into two six-rep sets. 270x6 is a rep PR for me, and I was able to do it twice. The pauses were lousy and the last rep of the second set was a grind at lockout, but being able to do this at the end of this session is a testament to how locked in my bench is right now.

Now, all I have left for bench is 255x4x8 on Saturday; I'll probably do 230x6x6 on Tuesday just to train a little closer to the meet, but otherwise, the hard work is almost over. This was the session I was dreading, especially after 265x3x10 was so tough last week, but I cruised through it. I have doubled up the last two sets of every session on bench this week (225x12x2, 240x10x2, and now 270x6x2); I feel like I'm acclimating well to all the work, and though it's a lot, I'm glad to be pushing myself through it.

At RUM, I'll open at 282, and I'll probably crush it. After that, I'll jump based on how I feel, but I'm guessing I end up ~303 for a second. If I feel good, I'm absolutely going to take a PR attempt for a third. I don't think I'd let myself take 325, but 319 sounds like a reasonable attempt (again, if all feels well). We'll see how I'm feeling after my opener and second attempt, but I'd like to reward myself with the chance at a nice bench PR.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 1400 or Bust Log   

Back to top Go down

The 1400 or Bust Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next