A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

New Kids on the Block

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PurdueBarbell

PostSubject: New Kids on the Block   Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Hey guys my name is Michael Tanner and I just founded a powerlifting club at Purdue University. I have been reaching out to everyone I can find to try an establish connections and get advice about what I should be doing with the new club. I'd like to have our club compete at meets where other collegiate teams will also be competing. I'd also like to coordinate events that we could do together (for example - next semester I have it planned for my team to travel to the EliteFTS Compound and, separately, for Chad Wesley Smith and Brandon Lilly to put on a seminar at Purdue).

Let me know your thoughts. Feel free to join the Purdue Barbell facebook page or message me directly (it says I can't post links because I'm a guest...just search facebook I guess haha)

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers,
Tanner
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: New Kids on the Block   Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:07 pm

That's awesome to hear that you have kicked a club off at Purdue. We have not had a team meeting in any official capacity in the last few weeks due to competition. I'll make sure that this gets brought up to in our next meeting (I believe this Sunday).

I was not part of the club during its formation but I can give you a bit of info on the current state of the club. Outside of the bureaucratic work the club must engage in to maintain its status as a club (roster, budget, constitution, election of officers) we are pretty informal. We hold meetings twice a month and usually discuss official business. We market ourselves to new members as a club that will be supportive of strength training in preparation for powerlifting meets, but we make it clear that we are not a personal training service. We do have team training sessions. These act as a way for people to show up and train around others, and for newer lifters this can be a much better environment than training alone. I think most people on the club would agree that we try to make the club as open as possible, but we rely on people to take initiative and show that they are interested. I think the phrase Kyle used was something like “this club is what you make of it”. So that’s how we market our accessibility.  As far as more practical advise. Take advantage of your university and the tools they give you to market your club. Club fairs, radio, intramural competition, ect….

As far as meets…I know until relatively recently (end of last school year) the club competed almost exclusively in the NASA federation. The exclusive nature of this relationship ended this summer as members branched out, and I think it is for the better. Since October we have had members compete in NASA, USAPL, and UPA with something like 15 club members between the 3 feds (UPA was the most with I think 8 members competing). As far as competing as an “official” college team against other colleges I believe the only federation that does this is the USAPL. I believe their college nationals is single-ply only.

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: New Kids on the Block   Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi Mike,

Do you guys at Purdue by chance know Brandon Smitley?

Best,
Kyle
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
PurdueBarbell

PostSubject: Re: New Kids on the Block   Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:09 pm

Yes. Brandon Smitley will be in charge of my programming starting in December. We also plan to have him be our team's "coach." He came to Purdue a couple weeks ago. Great guy.

-Tanner
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: New Kids on the Block   Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:04 pm

That's really cool! Good to hear that he's helping you guys out. I remember he visited there not too long ago.

And some coordinated events sound awesome. There are some other Big 10 teams that would be interested as well.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: New Kids on the Block   Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:46 pm

I just really want to know how you can arrange trips to EliteFTS and the seminars. Is this on the university's dime?

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: New Kids on the Block   Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
I just really want to know how you can arrange trips to EliteFTS and the seminars. Is this on the university's dime?
I'm also interested in this.

It might help them that Brandon Smitley is a Purdue grad; maybe he's serving as a go-between.

And maybe Iowa can arrange a field trip to join up with Purdue at one of these seminars...
Back to top Go down
PurdueBarbell

PostSubject: Re: New Kids on the Block   Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:00 pm

Chris and Kyle,

No the university is not paying for anything and no Brandon is not the go-between. I actually had most of the stuff set up before I even got in touch with Brandon.

I reached out to MANY people through Facebook. Kept up with the conversations and kept talking to everyone that was suggested to me. This resulted in phone conversations with Mark Watts, Chad Wesley Smith, and others. Really you just have to reach out and you'll be surprised how many people would love to help you. In fact, there are more people that would like to come to Purdue and help us than there is time for us to host them.

I would LOVE IT if you guys would come out here for ANY of our seminars. Of course, you would have to pay whatever my members are paying in order to go. Some seminars we are travelling TO and some are COMING to us.

Please message me (facebook) so I can give you more details and dates!

Cheers,
Michael Tanner
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: New Kids on the Block   Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:57 pm

Do you guys have a team website or anything where we can learn about your team? See their best lifts, if they're natty, how long they've been competing, etc?

How much are they charging for these seminars? In the OP it had sounded like it was a free-of-charge thing, which I would have been astounded at.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PurdueBarbell

PostSubject: Re: New Kids on the Block   Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:24 am

We have a team facebook page that I use to do updates and stuff like that. There is no website for our best lifts or history or anything...yet. I founded the club a month ago so stuff like that hasn't happened yet haha. I'd love for you guys to show me how to set up something like that.

Most are free or cheap. Some are more expensive. Like I said, it's surprising who will help you if you ask.

- Tanner

Also, how do I set up an account for this forum?
Back to top Go down
PurdueBarbell
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: New Kids on the Block   Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:27 am

Nevermind, I set up an account.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: New Kids on the Block   Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:37 pm

Do you guys have a team forum yet? Having this one really helped bring us together. Forumotion's fairly user-friendly and a free option.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Kids on the Block   

Back to top Go down

New Kids on the Block
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1