Andy Awad's Training Log

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:16 pm

Yesterday was deadlift day.  I recently aggravated some old bicep tendonitis I incurred a few years ago from a night full of drunken arm wrestling (one of the worst things I think a person can do.  I refuse to arm wrestle anymore) while shoveling my walk a week or two ago.  I've been doing some icing and ibuprofen, and its getting better.  It has been interfering with my lifting though.  Anyway, in an attempt to work around it I thought I'd buy myself some wrist wraps so I wouldn't have to externally rotate my left arm when I deadlift.  I'd been meaning to try them out for a while anyway.  So yesterday I went to play it again sports and bought a shitty 5 dollar pair of cotton wraps.  They're too small, but I figured I'd give em a try.  (Confession time.  When I was 19 I bought a pair of padded wraps that I used to assist me with poorly executed curls, shrugs, lunges etc....I didn't know what I was doing, and I couldn't have used them to deadlift to save my life.)  I hated them at first.  I just didn't feel strong with them at all.  I used them on everything over 135 just to get used to them.  Everything felt soooo heavy.  here was the first part of my workout:

135 x 6
225 x 3
315 x 2
405 x 1
455 x 1
505 x 1

I specifically remember how heavy 315 felt.  Normally 315 feels great to me.  Many times it feels better than 225 does.  405 went up slowly, as did 455, and 505 seriously felt like the heaviest thing on the planet.  At this point, I was ready to take the weight back down and tell myself it was due to the fact that I was using straps for the first time.  Then I told myself this could likely be my last time deadlifting for a month as I'm going to Europe in a week.  (I fully intend to get to a few gyms while I'm there, but I'll probably just try to squat and bench as those are the lifts I generally lose in).  I was also feeling rushed because I had a friend in town.  I decided that this was no way to go out on my favorite lift.  I sat down closed my eyes, and focused. Had 505 gone up smoothly, I would have been content with doing some doubles or triples with 455, but this was certainly not the case. I put 535 on the bar, and told myself no matter what, I was not going to let go of that bar.  I took a deep breath, and pulled it up better than anything else that night.  It went up so well in fact, that I decided to add ten pounds.  I waited about ten minutes, and then I pulled with all my might and got up 545.  It was my best lifting moment thus far.  Not just because I PR'd, but because I completely changed my mindset and tuned out all of the distractions that were consuming me - there were many, including some epic bro moments right behind me.  The rest of my workout looked like this:

535 x 1
545 x 1
315 x 3
315 x 3

T-bar rows
1 plate x 10
2 plates x 8
2 plates x 8
2 plates x 6

4 sets x 25 abs on glut ham raise

This was my first time doing T - bar rows in years.  I really liked them though.  I was able to retract my scapula better than on any other rowing movement I've been doing.  It really helped with the shoulder/bicep aggravation I was experiencing.  I even feel good today, which I take as a very positive sign.

Here are my deadlift videos.  I'm not sure about my form, and I'm sure it could use some work.  I think I pull the bar really close to my body, and it took me forever to get my setup right with the wraps.  As always, critiques are much appreciated.  I assure you that the heavily loaded T-Bar in the background was being lifted with perfect form.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:21 am

So I'm in Germany now, but that didn't stop me from going to McFit gym and getting a training session in. It was fun. Also, the definition of bro now has now taken on a new meaning.I think these dudes literally did lat pulldowns with every grip imagineable for longer than I squatted (and i rest for a long time) and bicep curls longer than I benched. One of them was wearing a polo with the collar popped and the other was wearing a French style hat (are they called lapels?). They had pretty big guns though.

Lifting in kilos was fun, mainly because the primary plate size was 15kg (33lb) and it was a nice ego boost. I saw 2 20 kg plates in random places throughout the gym. Anyhow, my primary purpose of this workout was to hit my squat and bench really hard as it very likely the only workout I'm going to get while I'm in Europe. Overall, it was an extremely good session for me, especially given the lack of sleep I've been experiencing and the excessive amounts of German food and  alcohol I've been ingesting. A diet and cleanse are in order when I am back stateside.

Squat
Warmup - it was all in kilos and I don't really remember it.
140 kg (308lb) x 5
165 kg (363lb) x 5
165 kg (363lb) x 5
140 kg x 5
I'm very happy with my squatting progress. It's so much better than it used to be.

Video to come of my second set at 165kg

Bench
Warmup - see squat warmup
130 kg (286 lb) x 5
130 kg (286lb) x 5
140 kg (308lb) x 5

My first set at 130 kg was ok, but my pauses were too long and my decent was very slow. The second set went great, so I decided to add a little weight. (This may have been largely due to satisfy my desire to bench 4 plates). The first 2 at 140 felt great, but I lost tightness on the third. I think I may have had a fourth otherwise.

Dumbbell rows
4 sets 28 kg x 8-10 reps
Good scapula movement on these.

Lateral raises with shrug at top
4 kg x 10-12.

As always, I appreciate feedback on my video. Don't be afraid to crocuses
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:39 am

Here's my squat video.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Andy Awad wrote:
. One of them was wearing a polo with the collar popped and the other was wearing a French style hat (are they called lapels?).

You mean a beret?

Quote :
A diet and cleanse are in order when I am back stateside.

what is this i dont even

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Yeah I believe you're right. It's a beret. All I know is it was a strange form of gym attire to me. I've never done a diet before, but I think I'm gonna gain some unwanted weight on this trip. I'm already feeling my pants tighten around the waist...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Well, today was my first day back in the gym after my European adventure, and it felt pretty much as shitty as I expected it to.  Weights felt heavy and moved slowly.  Also, as i expected, I gained some unwanted poundage around my midsection.  I weighed in at about 213 with my shoes and gym clothes on.  Usually I'm at 209 without my shoes.  So i guess I gained about 3 lbs from eating sausage and potatoes and drinking german beer.  Not too bad.

My goal for today was to get a few heavy squats and bench in before I start my new training cycle on Monday.  Even though I want to start with some 6 - 8 rep working sets for a few weeks on my squat and bench, I wanted to give my nervous system some shock with kinda heavy weights, but still leave a rep or two in the tank.  Not sure if this was such a good idea, but it made sense to me at the time.  Tomorrow I'm going to deadlift.  Not sure how much I'll push it, but my deadlift is the lift that suffers the least when i take some time off from it.  I have this paranoia that if I take time off, I need to really push myself on my first workout back.  I know how stupid this is, but I feel like if i don't, it's going to take me longer to get back into the swing of things.  I need to get over this.  Today, it was a bad idea I think as I felt pretty uncoordinated with the weights (as you can see from my squat video).  I should have done some lighter work in the 6 rep range. Oh well.  I was decently pleased with my numbers considering the jet lag, drinking, loss of sleep, and poor diet my body endured for the past 3 weeks.  I woke up at 3 am today, and I really didn't feel energetic, but I made myself go to the gym before I stepped foot in my office for the first time.

Beltless squat

warm up
275 x 3
315 x 3
355 x 3
355 x 2

I thought about going to failure on my last set, but The first two felt really good, and I decided to leave some in the tank for when I squat on Monday.  Second set felt much better than the first.  Probably because my nervous system was getting acclimated since it's been a while.

Paused Benchpress

warm up
275 x 1
300 x 3
300 x 3
225 x 8 (really long pauses)

As with my squats today, second set of 300 felt way better than the first one.  My pauses were long for all of these sets.  My spotter was pretty bad.  I tried to find an experienced looking lifter, but it was very slim pickings at the rec today at 10 am.  A lot of newbies with the new semester approaching I think.  Tuesday, I don't think I'm going to go over 275.  I'm going to work on speeding up my decent, and not pausing for too long.  Again, I need to get passed some ego issues here.  It's been a while since I didn't go up to at least 300 during a bench workout.  I know it's immature, but I need the ego boost.  Time to get over that.

Here's my squat video from today.  I'm not sure about my depth.  I need to quit doing that annoying "tsssss" thing when I squat.  I don't know when or how that started.  Any input about my depth and form is appreciated.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:42 pm

1/18

Good deadlifting day for me. I was full of energy, and I had a lot left in the tank after each of my sets.

Deadlift

warm up
405 x 4
455 x 2
455 x 2
405 x 4
405 x 4
405 x 4

The reps didn't feel super fast, but they felt smooth and controlled. It was good.

snatch grip deadlift

225 x 3
225 x 3
225 x 3
225 x 3

I really liked doing these, especially at the lighter weight. I was able to really focus on my form, and keep my upper back and traps very engaged and move fast throughout the motion. My traps were pretty sore the next day.

T - bar rows

80 x 10
80 x 10
80 x 10

This is my favorite exercise at lighter weights to feel my scapula moving in the right way.

over head press

65 x 20
65 x 20
75 x 15
75 x 15

These were mostly partial reps. I know this is not in the least bit impressive, but for me this marked a great point in my training. It was the first time since a shoulder injury in August that I over head pressed without pain. I was incredibly happy about that. Over head pressing has been missing from my training for months now, and I can't wait to incorporate it slowly back in there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:47 pm

1/20

squat

warm up
225 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
135 x 10
135 x 10

I didn't push myself very hard on my squat at all yesterday. I focused on my form, and breaking at my hips first (Tanner helped me with this). When I thought about this, I felt my hamstrings and gluts engage much earlier and better throughout the motion. I also tend to be quite fidgety when I squat. I worked on staying still and finding a comfortable stance. I also worked a little with adjusting my stance width and feet angle. I kinda liked having my toes pointed inward a little more than I typically am used to.

Body weight walking lunges

about 2 x 20
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:08 pm

1/21

Upper body

Bench

warm up

275 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5 (and a half)

I didn't rest as much as I typically do during these because I wanted to work a little on my very poor conditioning (and I just can't get myself to do cardio right now).  I started with a very wide grip (middle fingers on the rings) and ended with a slightly narrower grip (between ring fingers and pinkies on the rings).  I'm favoring the slightly narrower grip I think.  I flet like I could squeeze the bar better and get better arm involvement.  I really thought I had at least one more in me on my last set, but my body thought differently.  Fortunately I had a really good spotter today.  I wouldn't have gone for it otherwise.  This also marked the first time I got 5 x 5 with 275.  I haven't don 5 x 5 in forever, but I decided to do it today because I wanted to get some more reps in (this was high rep compared to my recent benching workouts).  5 x 5 with 275 used to be a goal of mine, and I didn't even remember it until I did it today.  I guess I've been more focused on lower rep stuff.  I really liked it though.  More reps and sets gave me more time to try to feel the sets differently.  Some of them I tried to think about lowering the weight with my lats, but this is still difficult for me to do at heavier weights, some I tried to be really tight and pause for long periods, and others I tried to get in a rhythm and not worry about being very explosive.  I think I'll do the 5 x 5 more often now.  

Narrow grip feet up bench

135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10

Rowing machine or whatever its called

90 (each side) x 13
115 x 10
115 x 10
115 x 10
115 x 10
90 x 12

Would have rather done t-bar rows, but the CRWC was way to crowded for that today.

straight bar triceps extensions

~2/3 stack x 13
full stack x 10
~2/3 x 8
~2/3 x 8

These were tough, and usually I have a few sets in me of about 8 or so with the full stack.  My triceps were pretty worn out from all the benching I did today.  Overdid my triceps a little.

lateral raises

10 x 13
15 x 10
15 x 10
(switched to kettle bells)
13 x 12
13 x 10

For some reason, I like kettle bells for these way more than dumbbells.  I'm going to try to remember that

stability ball sit ups
4 x 25

AND.....I stretched toady!  I have been neglecting stretching and ab training, and I'm feeling the consequences of that, especially as I get older I think.  My lower back has been a little irritated (which always seems to happen when I neglect ab training, and then go away when I start doing it again), and I've been feeling stiff and inflexible.  I had a good stretching session today.  Gotta keep up both of these things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:43 pm

1/23

Deadlifts

Warm up

405 x 4
405 x 5
455 x 2
455 x 2
365 x 8

Dead lifts felt heavy and slow. May have something to do with the jet lag I'm still feeling. I wake up some time between 2 and 4 am every morning and can't get back to sleep. I've been going to bed around 10 or 11 every night too. I'm fighting naps because I know they'll slow down the process of adjusting. 455 felt really funny. The first rep of each double felt really difficult to get off the ground, and the second one felt alright. For my final set I decided to go down to 365 instead of 405 because the bar was moving kinda slowly. It was a good thing I did. I was glad to feel some decent bar movement. I was lifting with my buddy Nick today. He's more into body building workouts, but he's about 220 and a pretty strong dude. He hit a pretty easy final set of 365 x 5.

Hex bar deadlift

135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 10
315 x 8

I haven't ever done these with more than 135, but I really liked them (aside from the fact that the bar felt like it was tearing the skin off of my palms). Today, they actually felt better than regular deadlifts. Lots of quads and core involvement. I had some more in me on the last set, and I know I could've had ten, but my conditioning is so poor I was breathing pretty hard at this point. I don't think I've ever done ten reps with my deadlift with anything over 135 (pathetic, I know).

All in all, my deadlift isn't feeling the greatest the past two weeks. I find that it's usually hard for me to experience gains on all three lifts simultaneously. My squat and bench feel like they're at a good place to move up right now. If my deadlift moves slowly for now I'm ok with that. I had some really good progress in it during my last cycle. I'd rather have big gains in my squat right now. Of course the best scenario would be that this changes over the course of the next few weeks and my deadlift starts to feel awesome again, but we'll see. I think some lighter speed and volume work is in order. Another ego issue needs to be overcome here, as it has been a very long time since I haven't deadlifted 4 plates during a workout. I think next deadlift day I won't go over 365.

Abs/Core

8 sets of tough shit

Nick kicked my ass in these.

Stretching

*I'm trying to do ab/core training 3 days a week, and ideally, stretching after every workout.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:41 am

1/25

Some pretty mediocre light squatting. My hips were achy from my last deadlift workout, so I cut it very short. I was hoping to do much more work. I did much more pulling volume than I am used to, and I didn't quite feel recovered.

135x10x4
225x5

Feet up bench.

195x5x5
195x10

Much lighter than I have gone with the bench in quite some time, but I really liked the speed I was starting to generate. Good things will happen I think If I keep this up.

Lat pull downs

Tricep extensions

face pulls
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:49 am

So I am 95% certain that I will enter the intramural meet on the 27th. Only downside is I was really wanting to plan out like an 8 or 12 week training cycle for myself beginning this week. I'd really like the meet experience, but now I need to kinda change my planning to focus on these next four weeks. Anyone have some advice on what may be good for me to look into? Any good four week programs out there? I'm not too familiar with training systems and I haven't followed one before. I am ready to though. I like working in the 3 to 6 rep range, but I'm also open to trying some higher rep stuff. I just don't know now if this would be the ideal time to do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:09 pm

1/27/14

I did the first day of the Sheiko plan.  I came across it a few days ago, and i thought it would be interesting to give it a try.  I did the first day based on maxes I have hit at one point or another in the gym, which are squat 415, bench 340, and deadlift 545  Looking further into the workout, I decided this system, for me, will probably work a little better if I use lower numbers. (especially with the squat, which was generous for me.  I hit 415 once, but there is no way that was close to full depth, and it was quite some time ago.  I recently hit a pretty good (for me) beltless 395 though).  I have since modified the squat and deadlift numbers (I hit 545, but that was with wraps, and it was a lot of work) to 400 and 530.  I think these working maxes will give me a better program.  Depending on how 380 feels in today's workout, I may lower the squat some more.

This program is pretty different from other things I have done in the past.  If it bothers me or if I'm really not liking it, I have no problem putting it aside until another time and trying something new.  Nonetheless, I really liked day one, and I'm excited to try out some heavy singles today.

Also, looks like this will have me doing more deadlifting than I am used to.  I may have to reduce some of that if it starts to bother me.

Squat
rep x set
warmup
135 x 8
205 x 3
250 x 3
290 x 3 x 3
310 x 2 x 3

I accidentally did one extra set with 290.  Kyle, Grant and David all provided me with some helpful tips.  Grant let me try out his belt, which didn't end up fitting me.  I think I'll need to try a large.

Bench
rep x set

warm up with floor press (Grant's suggestion as it was Monday evening and there were no benches available. I liked this a lot, and will eventually end up trying these for working sets)

135 x 5
170 x 3
205 x 3
235 x 2 x 3
255 x 3 x 2

I got my reps and sets mixed up on 235 and 255, but they still went really well.  I wrote it down wrong and was thinking the whole time that it didn't make sense.

Dumbbell press

60 x 10
70 x 10
80 x 9

These were really rushed because I was about to miss my bus.  Haven't done these in a long time, but I enjoyed them.

All in all, this was my best workout since the semester began and I got back in the gym.  The weights moved well, especially for the bench.  Bench was very clean and explosive feeling.  I moved my grip back inside a little to where I was a few months ago (pinkies on the rings), gripped the bar tight and focused on the drive and flexing my lats to initiate movement.  I'll try this again today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:18 pm

Do you know which sheiko you are running? Is it 29, 32, 37, or some other? Working up to heavy singles, doubles, and even triples is probably good with the intramural meet coming up. That increase in intensity will prep you and give you that feel of heavy-ish weight

Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:25 pm

Brometheus wrote:
Do you know which sheiko you are running? Is it 29, 32, 37, or some other?

Grant, I'm not sure which one it is, but I am sure that, after actually writing down what todays workout was going to be on paper, Im not going to try it yet. Today I would have worked up to two singles at 95%with all three ifts. I took some time to think about this actually becoming a reality for me now, and i swallowed my pride and realized I'm just not ready for that. Especially since my deadlift has been feeling off, and the 380 squats just seemed really tough to think about. Being honest with myself, i have a ton of work to do this semester to finish my research and thesis on time, and a workout routine like the one I was looking at just doesn't seem feasible right now (although day 1 was great haha) Until February 27th I'm going to stick to my original game plan, which was to stay consistent and learn how to use a belt. Over the next few weeks though I still plan on working up to some heavy triples, doubles, and singles though.

Sheiko or no Sheiko aside, I had a great workout today. No heavy singles, but things moved nicely and felt good.

Deadlift

Warmup
315 x 3
365 x 3
365 x 4
365 x 5
365 x 6

There is a reason for the strange rep progression. I planned on working up to triples with 405 today, but two things happened. First, my hips were a little achy, and second, 365 was moving so much better than anything else had lately I decided to stay with it. Recently my deadlifts have just felt off. strong, but like something wasn't working right. With these sets I really focused on dropping my butt before initiating the pull and driving my heels into the ground. These two things made the weight move very nicely. I decided to stick with 365. Each set I was finding my form a little bit more and so I just wanted to do some extra reps. The last set felt the best, so I did the most reps.

Snatch grip deadlift

225 x 5 x 3

Over head press

95 x 10
115 x 6 x 5 x 6

Pullups

2 sets of 10

I want to bring back Pullups and rows to my routine. These have served me well in the past.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:27 pm

Good plan for the intramural meet--keep everything as simple as possible. My advice is to just run your training until you get close, then rest for the meet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:53 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
Good plan for the intramural meet--keep everything as simple as possible. My advice is to just run your training until you get close, then rest for the meet.

This is now my plan. It is a little tough for me though because I wanted to try something new, but it certainly seems like the wisest choice. I'll sick to my usual methods, working up to some heavyish stuff and rest up the week of the meet. I decided that if my first meet doesn't go spectacularly, I don't want it to be because I messed with my training. I honestly am really looking forward to it. I'm not sure if Im going to try to cut weight because I have a lot of stressful deadlines coming up, but I'll see where eating healthy and working out consistently takes me over the next couple weeks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:32 pm

I like the working up to heavy ish weight part. Nate does this during his usual training cycle and ive done it twice leading up to a meet. Getting to feel a heavier weight not a max puts you in a good position for a meet

Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:18 am

Brometheus wrote:
I like the working up to heavy ish weight part. Nate does this during his usual training cycle and ive done it twice leading up to a meet. Getting to feel a heavier weight not a max puts you in a good position for a meet

I like it too. In the past, I've usually gone from sets if 5 to six down to triples and then doubles and singles. So far, it's worked for me. This is my plan over the next three weeks now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:22 pm

I have always been a big proponent of "dont change what is working"

Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:52 pm

It's been a while since I logged my workouts, so I'll do the last week pretty briefly here.  I don't remember the exact days these were, but I think I got the order right.

1/30
Squats:I did several sets of 3 -5  of front squats and back squats with 225.  I was trying to find a good rhythm and feel comfortable with my form.

1/31
Some mediocre feet up benching.  I think I went up to 245 for sets of 4 or 5.  Just bad benching all around.  Also did incline benching for the first time in literally years.  Just did sets of 8 with 135.  Something strange happened with these.  Although the weight was light, on my second set, Shortly after I un-racked the weight, I blacked out and ended dropping the weight on my lap.  Kinda scary experience.  It came down controlled and slowly, and thank God not on my head or balls, but it was a first for me.  I took a few minutes to take everything in, and then, being the foolish person I am, I got someone to spot me on the next set.  After that, I realized I probably shouldn't keep going after blacking out and called it quits on the workout.

I was out of town for the weekend to see Saw Yo-Yo Ma in Chicago!  For those who don't know this about me, I have a bachelors degree in classical piano performance.  I'm a big fan and supporter of classical music.

2/3

Beltless squat

warm up
285 x 3
315 x 3
345 x 3
365 x 3
385 x 2
385 x 3

I must say, I really impressed myself with my squatting today.  I didn't think I could do that last set at all, but I cranked it out and it felt pretty decent.  My depth was probably questionable on some of these.  The first set of 385 I missed because I completely lost tightness on my second rep and decided to rack the weight.  I lost tightness because I tried to speed up my decent.  I need to figure out how to keep tight and keep control when I go faster with heavy weights.  The last set I kept tight, but it wasn't very fast.

Bench with wrist wraps

235 x 3
265 x 3
285 x 3
305 x 2
305 x 3 (touch and go)

This was my first time benching with wrist wraps.  And I gotta say, I don't think I will ever bench heavy without them again.  My wrists felt completely fine afterwards, not to mention the extra strength I could feel transferring off of my chest.  My only regret is I didn't start using them sooner.  My observation about them is this:  My lighter sets felt incredible, but at 285 I started to get wobbly and feel funny, something that is usually not an issue with my bench press.  My reasoning is that this is because the wraps kept my wrists in a much better line, a line that I can somewhat maintain on the lighter sets without them.  But when the weights get heavy, I lose this line in my wrists and the distribution of the weight changes somewhat.  With the wraps however, I was able to maintain my wrist position, resulting in a new bar path with the heavy weights and consequentially involved a different muscle recruitment pattern - one I'm not yet completely comfortable with and that's what caused the wobbliness.  I also felt like my hip and foot drive wasn't quite there.  I missed my first set of 305 for three, but decided to wait a while and give it a go again, but I cut myself some slack and didn't pause at all.

dumbbell press
70 x 10 x 3

I think I used the wraps for these too. I just started doing these again, and I was still feeling these in my chest yesterday.

2/4

Deadlift with belt

275 x 3 or 4 x 4
315 x 3 or 4 x 4

This marked my first time ever deadlifting with a belt. The main thing I took away from it is that I now have new motivation to lose some weight, as I have bruises around my waist from where the belt was pinching my blubber. My thoughts on the belt: I definitely see how it will help me, but it will take me some getting used to.

Some back work. Sets of rows on that pulling machine with 2 plates and with an extra 25.

Some sets of lat pull downs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:11 pm

I'm falling behind on my logging, and I am going to do my best to catch it up briefly.

Squat day

Worked up to triples with 315 using a belt. The belt felt good. I think I was able to adjust to it a little easier than with deadlifts.

over head press
95 x 6
115 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 3
115 x 10 (first five press, second five push press)
115 x 10 (same as above)

Every time I overhead press, my shoulder is feeling better and better. I'm hoping to be able to do some comfortabel sets of 5 with 135 again soon. Also, I think it's just making my shoulder feel better in general. Maybe I shouldn't have stopped doing them for so long. Lesson learned.

Deadlift and back day

Deadlift with belt
Warmed up
365 x 2
405 x 1
455 x 5
405 x 5
405 x 7

Snatch grip pulls
225 x 5 x 3

using the belt felt so good that I decided to try some heavy pulling. 455 was a 5 rep pr for me. It was tough, but I think I could have grinded out a 6th rep. I'm glad I didn't though. My last set of 405 x 7 left me really wiped out. I remember my diet sucked ass that day, and it was about 7 pm and I'd only had two small meals for the day. I decided to leave early after a few sets of rows. Then I went and gorged myself of pizza at the mill.

Bench and some back day.

warmed up
295 x 4
295 x 4
225 x 6
225 x 6

Used the belt and wrist wraps for this session. I tried making the belt a little tighter than for squatting and deadlifting. I can see how it will benefit me to get used to using it for heavy benching. This day, I also recall I had very good foot drive, something that my bench sessions have been lacking lately.

Light squat (no belt) and other leg stuff day

135 x 15
165 x 15
195 x 15
225 x 12
255 x 10
285 x 8 (this didn't happen)

For some reason, my low back really tightened up bad on these and I couldn't even stand for about 2 min. So I worked it out, decided to forgo my last set, and (I'm embarrassed to admit this) went to the leg press to try and make up for my lack of squatting with a couple of good sets.

lunges

25 lbs x 7 x 3
40 lbs x 7 x 3

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:00 pm

forgot to add box jumps at the end of my last squat day. Also, the 295 bench sets were paused.

2/11/14

Pause bench press

255 x 5
255 x 5
255 x 8

This was the best 255 has ever felt for me. It was also an 8 rep max for me. I'm really trying to focus on my rep work. Did these without a belt but used the wrist wraps.

Over head press
95 x 8 x 2
115 x 6 x 2

Dips
body weight
2 sets with 25's
body weight

Lateral raises
4 sets with 10's or 15's

tricep extensions
2 sets
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:28 pm

2/12/14

Deadlift and back work

Speed deadlifts from 1 plate deficit
315 x 3 x 6

These felt great with the belt. Nate gave me the tip to start opening my hips early and thinking about my gluts. One more thing to thing about It really sped up my lockout. Now only if I could speed things up off the floor I'd be in business.

4 sets of rows
Really leaned my body into that chest support and felt much better muscle activation in my back.

4 sets lat pulldowns
Tried to think about flexing my lats to get them to engage

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:41 pm

2/13/14

Body built bis and tris with my buddy Nick.  I don't even know how many sets I did and I don't want to think about it.  Nick's been a real sport doing some powerlifting stuff with me, and yesterday he showed me how to bodybuild my arms.  I must say, I have had an edge on him with most compound lifts, but he definitely made me look like a chump in this workout.  Turns out my biceps are actually not all that strong.  I don't think I went over the 30s for any set, and they were a sturggle.  The workout wasn't by any means bad, but I think it was a little too much for me.  My arms are more sore today than I'd like, but my bis are still bulging which I do like.  It revealed some imbalances between my right (dominant) and left arms too.  I do want to start incorporating arm work back into my routine, but I think it will be fewer sets at the end of workout before a rest day.  The main thing I don't like about it is my arms are too sore that I don't even think I'll be able to bench tomorrow which I was planning to do.  I think it will be a light day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   

Back to top Go down

Andy Awad's Training Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next