Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Andy Awad's Training Log

Go down 
+9
badbackboi
DDaddyKane
Josh Martin
SSchwartsenator
Keosawa
Nathan Poage
David Petersen
Quadfather
KevinAlvy
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 11:19 pm

What meet are you looking at doing?
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 11:34 pm

UPA meet in Dubuque the weekend of November 15-16.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 9:13 am

8/25

Squats (no belt)
warm up
315 x 5
335 x 10 (PR)
315 x 8

I forgot my oly shoes since I left in kind of a hurry, so I squated in my socks. It confirmed what I have thought, and that is that I'm stronger with a flat sole. Squatting in the oly shoes is a little harder on my knees and utilizes my quads more, and squatting flat soled is harder on my hips and utilizes more gluts and hammies. I think I'm going to incorporate both styles, either alternating or in blocks. My thoughts are that it will help balance out muscle development as well as give the joints that are getting stressed some time to recover. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a flat sole though for competition. It feels more stable and balanced.

Lunges
135 x 10
155 x 10
155 x 10

Prowler a couple times. Most cardio I've done in a while

8/26/14

feet up tng bench

195 x 5 x 15

On top of this sucking because it was done at CRWC (never benching there again), my bicep tendinitis still is lingering. Didn't do any accessories afterwards. Saw Cody yesterday and he did some stuff that hopefully will help. Think I'm just going to take off Friday's bench session and pick up again on Tuesday with 215. I might try just doing some over head work Friday to see if that is less irritating. I want to start overhead pressing again. I think it had a positive early impact on my bench press last training cycle.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 11:05 am

8/28/14

Deadlift (no belt)

warmups

405 x 8 (hard)

Lockout wasn't there on some of these, but I'm not too worried about it. It's been a struggle to find a pulling path that feels comfortable recently. I guess it's normal after not really doing it for a while though. I really think I'm going to work on my hip mobility so i can start working with sumo and giving it an honest try.

deficit

225 x 2 x 10

Back felt pretty good for these, although today I feel it. Not like it's hurt, but Like I did an intense pulling session last night.

Some rows

Some rear delts.

I can feel that I need to strengthen my back quite a bit more. It has been a little neglected in my training recently and I'm noticing it when I deadlift. My left rear delt feels week and like I'm having a tough time stabilizing my left shoulder.

After giving it some thought, I don't think I'm going to do the competition in November. I think it's just not the greatest time for me to do a competition with all the things I'll have going on. I think instead what I'm going to do is have a mock meet at Magni for myself on my birthday (Nov 13) and get a good idea of where I'm at with my lifts. Winter or spring will hopefully be a better time for me to compete. That being said, I may still change my mind about it and do it.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 4:18 pm

8/29/14

Feet up bench press

215 x 5 x 13

Last set I finally hit the rhythm I was looking for and paused every rep. I have some bar tilt I'd like to correct if possible, SSSI I used a new filming angle to hopefully help me with it. Im having a difficult time identifying its source, but I'm thinking the root of it may be slightly tilted hips, but I'm not sure. It might also be that my left arm is a little shorter than my right. I tried working on it throughout the sets, but I don't think I accomplished much. Wool upload video of the sets soon.

Ohp

135 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 3
175 x 1
135 x 6

First time doing this in a while. Guess what? I still suck at it. Im going to hit this with some volume this time around. Thinking of a similar approach to what has worked for my bench.

Dips

Worked up to 2 plates for 9. Had a few reps left but Dalton sabotaged the set.

Some face pulls and a set of hammer curls
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 6:24 pm

Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 12:48 pm

9/01/14

Squat

365 x 1
365 x 1
405 x 1
435 x 1 (10 lb PR)
450 x 1 (25 lb PR)

Paused squat (counted to 5)

225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5

Went in for some late night squatting.  Was feeling like I wasn't really up for it, but I put the Rage CD in the CD player and was instantly ready to go.  I knew I was going to work up to some heavy work, but I had no intention of going for 450.  405 felt a little slow, but I decided to try 435, which also felt a little slow.  I knew I had more in me, so I just loaded it up to 450 and went for it. I got it fairly well, and in the oly shoes too, which is a nice accomplishment for me.  I still think I'm a little stronger and more confident in flat soles, but getting this nice PR makes me question that.  Was very happy to get this.  I guess the next logical milestone for me to shoot for is 500.  It will take some good training and some patience before I reach that.

Some prowler work and some T-bar rows.

Also, I'm trying something a little different with my training. Instead of trying to squat twice a week and deadlift once a week, I'm just going to alternate squat and deadlift workouts - still shooting to get in the gym 5 times a week. So I'll be alternating squatting and deadlifting twice a week, each week. My reasoning for this is simply that I have been not feeling up to squatting twice a week all the time, and I often find myself feeling like I'm ready to pull when Thursday comes around and it's squat day. I'll see how this works. When either squatting or pulling falls on Monday it will be heavy. When they fall on Thursday or Saturday they will be light to moderate. I'll see how this goes for me for a few weeks or months and then decide what to do from there. Benching twice a week however seems to be working well for the time being.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 5:42 pm

No spot PR? Squat or die baby.

but real talk: no danger zone = no lift.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 9:51 am

SSchwartsenator wrote:
No spot PR? Squat or die baby.

PR or ER.

9/2/14

Feet up paused bench

235 x 2 x 10

Stopped here for the day because right bicep/elbow was getting bothered. For once I decided not to push through it. I think this is the end up my feet up attempt at a training cycle. The extra range of motion is not what my elbow needs right now. Going back to regular to hopefully relieve the stress. Might have to go floor press for a while. I'll find a way.

9/4/14

Deadlift

315 x 8
335 x 8
335 x 8
335 x 12

Felt good when I got to the working sets. I've been trying to think about deadlifting as pressing the weight off the floor with my legs, but it just doesn't seem to work as well for me. I finally went back to thinking about pulling up and the weights felt like they moved a lot faster. I think it may depend on leverages, and with mine thinking of pulling just seems to work better for me. I can't get very upright in the starting position without compromising my hip position and trying to press the weight off the floor doesn't do much for me. Disadvantage to thinking of pulling is my shins are getting all sorts of banged up again.

Some lat pull downs followed by some T-bar rows.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 10:45 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 1:39 pm

So after 3 weeks of destroying my liver I am back and ready to get into the gym.  I had 2 workouts over the past few weeks, but nothing of note worth logging.  I did finish a bench session with 275 x 10, which is technically a 10 rep PR, but I like to think I could certainly do a little more than that once I get back into a consistent training schedule.  I got in last night to do some benching

Bench
Several sets of 5 to 8 with 185 and 225

Note: you know you're out of shape when your upper back is the sorest part of your body the day after benching.

Over head press

95 x 5 x 7

Kept these light weight.  Focused on staying really tight and being as explosive as possible.

Some banded triceps and some curls.

Workout notes:

Didn't go heavy or high intensity at all, but benching felt really good.  Despite feeling a slight decrease in my strength from the time off, I feel like it was actually beneficial in a lot of ways.  My body was getting pretty achy, and I just wasn't backing off like I should have.  It was a good feeling to bench pain free.  I hope that my training has a nice rebound from this time off.  I'm starting things off with low intensity, which is something I have pretty much never done in the past when I came back from an extended period of time out of the gym.  My primary focus on my bench training this cycle is keeping my left elbow and shoulder in good position.  I feel like if I can fix that I will be back to benching 375 in a short period of time and working towards that 4 plate bench some day.  I'm also going to try to keep the max effort stuff down a little for the time being.  In the past, I've had a lot of good progress training with lower intensities and making sure I'm getting lots of quality, explosive reps in.  When I train at maximal or near maximal efforts for extended periods is when I start to develop pain, and my technical weaknesses become more pronounced.  Hopefully I stay mindful of my insights and keep my body healthy for a while.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2014 2:37 pm

10/02/14

Deadlift

Warmed up conventional up to 315, then decided to give sumo a go again. Warmups actually felt good conventional, but I just felt the need to try out sumo.

365 x 1
405 x 1
405 x 5
405 x 3
405 x 8

On my second set at 405, I got really out of position, and I just decided to cut the set instead of trying to salvage it by getting back into position. the 3rd set of 8 reps felt really easy actually, but I decided to stop it there since I haven't deadlifted in about a month. I actually think 8 reps (sadly) ties my rep PR at 405. I believe I'm built better for sumo (it's much easier for me to get into the starting position) - and I really would like to switch to it - but I'll have to keep my hips healthy and really work on mobility if I'm going to make it a long term option for myself. I am keeping my stance a little narrower than the last time I tried it out. Suggestions are welcome (even from you sumo haters). I do plan on always training my conventional even if sumo becomes my competition style. I think it has good carryover and is good for developing functional strength.

Bent over rows
135 x 10
185 x 10
235 x 8
185 x 8
185 x 8

All in all a good day back at deadlifting.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Did some benching yesterday

185 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
255 x 5
255 x 5
255 x 5
255 x 5

Working on keeping my form and being as explosive off my chest as possible right now. Videoed from the front. Things looked pretty good, but I forgot about my bar tilt. It's not terrible, but I'd like to fix it. My left arm is a bit lower than my right. Also tried wrapping a band around the bench and using to pull my elbows out so I'd have to resist it to keep them in. I'm trying to find something that works similarly to putting a band around your knees while you squat to help activate the muscles that keep my elbows in and my shoulders tucked. It worked ok, but it ended up having the additional effect assisting off the chest similarly to a slingshot as the band inevitably ended up getting stretched across my chest. Anyone have any ideas of ways to work on this? I think as of now my best bet is working with lighter weights and using super strict form.

OHP

95 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

As with bench, I'm working on being as explosive as possible with this right now at reasonably light weights. Trying also to keep my upper back tight. Found it helped to think about pulling the weight into position as if I was going to reverse curl it. Videoed from the front and found some asymmetries and worked on fixing those.

bw Dips ss w/ pullups

4 sets

Banded tris and some bis

3 sets
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 11:26 am

Got some catch up to do on my log.

Monday 10/6

Squat

315 x 2
315 x 2
350 x 5
350 x 5
350 x 6

Squats felt really good. Surprising after my last session where it felt like I'd never squatted before in my life.

Paused squats 5 count

225 x 6
225 x 6

Some back work

Wed 10/7

Paused bench press
235 x 8
235 x 8
235 x 8

I'm having some shoulder pain in my left shoulder, and I believe it is directly related to working at a computer all day. I notice my thoracic spine is pretty unhealthy lately, and I need to start doing some work to directly address that. Regardless, I feel like my form is getting a little better. After watching my vids, I realized that my bar tilt (lower on the left) was coming from dipping down a little lower on my left side than on my right side on the eccentric, I focused on that on my working sets and was able to eliminate it almost completely. However, I started to dip towards my right side in an attempt to over compensate. I'm confident this will work itself out relatively quickly.

Overhead press

about 5 or 6 sets, don't really remember. May start doing this on it's own day and doing other shoulder stuff with benching.

Flies.

4 sets

I think I'm going to start alternating between dips and flies for some extra accessory work. Flies are definitely something I'm pretty week at at the moment.

Rotator cuff work

Lots of stuff

I'm going to keep doing some rotator stuff, but I'm actually thinking what I really need is more thoracic work. Rotator cuff stuff can't hurt though. I miss having a chest supported row machine to target this with. It'd be awesome if Magni got one.

10/8/14

Lap swimming

Decided to get in the pool. It had been about a year since I last swam laps. Did a little over 20 min straight alternating laps between front crawl and breast stroke. I felt great when I was done. I used to think swimming was a great complimentary activity to weight training, and getting back in the water confirmed that in my mind again. The low intensity and low impact was great for stretching out and getting blood in my muscles. I felt like it really sped up my recovery. The goal as of now is to get in the pool two days a week on non-lifting days. Addtionally, I felt like the breast stroke kick was really good for opening up my hips and working on mobility.

Wanted to deadlift yesterday, but I was completely wiped out from a stressful work week. Decided to get a good night's rest instead and go in to deadlift today. Hopefully it will be a good decisions and things will go well. Gonna try pulling sumo again.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 1:26 am

10/11/14

Sumo deadlifts
warmups
455 x 1
455 x 7

stiff leg conventional deadlift
225 x 10ish x 2

This was a pretty solid pulling session for me. My previous 3 rep PR pulling sumo was 465, and I believe my previous conventional PR was 455 for 5--although I"m pretty sure there were a few times I could have bested that. The frist two reps of this set felt amazing for me, but you can clearly see that on the third rep I come forward a decent bit. This through me off for the rest of the set and I had a really tough time trying to get back into a good position after that. I'm confident that as I get more comfortable with the stance this issue will work itself out. Kyle mentioned to focus on pulling back more, and that's what I was thinking after watching the video as well. Sumo is going way better for me this time around compared to the last time I tried it out. I think that's probably due to taking my stance in several inches. I'm getting more leg power and my hips are handling things much better.

Did some back work after that. Trying to figure out a way to get some chest supported rowing in at Magni to help work on my thoracic spine stength.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 1:30 am

10/12/14

Paused bench press

225 x 3
255 x 3
275 x 2
275 x 3
295 x 3
255 x 3
185 x 10

Didn't push anything with the bench too hard today. Still focusing on keeping my form. Elbow flared out a bit on 295, so I took the weight down and worked it out. I think things are moving in the right direction.

did some ohp and some banded tricep work after benching today. Also, I spent a good amount of time warming up my shoulders with some bands before I benched today. I think that helped.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 11:52 am

10/14/14

Squat
Warmups
315 x 5
315 x 5
335 x 5
335 x 5
335 x 5
335 x 5

These sets definitely got better as the session went on.  Warmups were too high, first sets were too low.  On the last sets I tried to use minimal rebound and depth was just about where I want it.  Also, tried changing my head and neck position to a more neutral position and that seemed to (somehow, not sure about the biocmechanics of it) take some stress off of my hips and make hitting depth a little easier for me.  All in all a good squat session for me.  Didn't push anything to hard and got some good reps in.  Vid is of the last set.

Note: I need to be less fidgety at the top of my squat position. Also with my hands, which did get better on the later sets as I focused on it.

Leg extensions ss w/leg curls

3 sets

Don't typically do these but thought I'd give em a shot.  Not sure if I like them at all.

T-bar rows

5 sets
Back to top Go down
badbackboi
Class II
Class II
badbackboi

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 1:35 pm

Is that your typically squat with the eccentric very slow? Are you doing them like that for a particular reason?
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 2:27 pm

ouchmyback wrote:
Is that your typically squat with the eccentric very slow? Are you doing them like that for a particular reason?

It's probably a little slower than typical for me. I've never been very good at squatting fast, and trying to do so has aggrivated my lower back in the past. Here I was trying to to stay balanced as well as not rely on rebound to hit depth. Squatting like this has helped me build strength and control in the past.

Also, I did try a few faster sets yesterday. I had problems coming way too forward on those sets. That was part of the reason I slowed things down.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 11:59 am

10/15/14

paused bench

warmups
275 x 5
275 x5
275 x 6
225 x 10
225 x 10

Bench didn't feel very strong. I tried to keep the reps good and clean. I wanted to do 4 sets of 7, but those would have gotten really grindy towards the second or third set even. I've been very under rested recently, and my bench is definitely taking a hit from it. I had an exam yesterday that kept me up all night studying and then my sleep sucked due to a combination of anxiety and caffeine overload. I wanted to pull today, but I think I'm putting it off until tomorrow and I'm just gonna try to get in the pool and swim again. My quads and hips are still pretty tight and sore from squatting Monday.

Overhead press

115 x 3 x 7

These sucked balls. No energy whatsoever so I kept the weights light and only did 3 sets.

Circuit x 4 sets

chest flies, banded tris, rear delt flies, curls

My friend Colin came with me today. He asked me the other day if he could join me and I could get him started on a beginner weight routine. He's not aspiring to be a strength athlete or anything (yet) and he doesn't have much of a weight lifting history, so I'm starting him on some pretty basic stuff. For now I'm just gonna have him alternate upper body and lower body days trying to get in 3 days a week at first. He did really well with bench pressing - his form was very natural. Pulling movements are going to need to be a big priority for him though.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2014 9:29 am

Sumo Deadlift

495 x 5

Conventional

225 x 10
225 x 10

T bar rows ss w/ lateral raises

Sumo is going well. Got out of position on the 4th rep, but managed to recover alright on the 5th. 5 reps at 495 is a 2 rep PR (sumo or conventional) at that weight for me. Before I pulled 550 conventional, I pulled 495 for 3, and failed the 4 th rep. I pulled 495 for 3 one other time, and there may have been potential of a really grindy 4th. So, if rep work translates the same way for my sumo pulling as it does for conventional, my one rep is hopefully above 550 at this point.

Notes: Pulling sumo is harder on my knees and hips. The hip irritation is pretty much gone now. Hopefully the knee irritation is just a matter off acclimating to the new stress and will soon be gone as well.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 6:31 am

10/18

Bench press

275 x 5 paused
300 x 5
275 x 8
225 x 10

seated db ohp ss w/lat pulls

dips ss w/ chest supported db rows

some bis and tris

Overall was a good day. Best bench has felt since the fair. Also heaviest I've gone since then. I tried some heels up benching. Pretty sure the set at 300 was heells up. Has its pros and cons, but it may be an option to switch to. It would give me another reason to increase my hip mobility so it doesn't put so much stress on my lower back.

Note: spent a good while rolling out and warming up my shoulders. Arch felt good and no shoulder pain.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 4:17 pm

If your arch is affecting your lower back, you need to work on your thoracic mobility. The arch should come from a neutral back, with your lumbar remaining neutral. Chris Duffin can cure what ails you (as always).
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 8:06 pm

Duffin is the man. I know the vid your talking about and you're absolutely right. Time to revisit the informational videos on his channel.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 8:12 pm

Yesterday's benching.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Andy Awad's Training Log
Page 11 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next