Paused Bench press w/pinkies on ring

275 x 1
295 x 1
315 x 1
335 x 1
335 x 1

Paused 2 board bench press w/pinkies on rings

335 x 3

Thoughts. I did a lot of benching this week - perhaps too much. But I was feeling good, and it was Friday, and I really wanted to feel out the closer grip. All I can say about it really is that my triceps are wwweeeeaaaaakkkkk from doing so much wide grip pressing. So, it's difficult to say if this will ultimately be a stronger grip for me. I think it certainly could be though, but I will have to do a decent amount of training to get my lockout strength up to an acceptable level. I normally am middle fingers on the rings, and I did these with my pinkies almost inside of the rings. I figure it took my grip in about 1 and 1/2 inches on each hand. The first single at 335 was pretty horrible. The weight drifted really far back and my elbows flared pretty much straight out. The 2nd was much better, and I actually felt good about it. I think I'll do some pressing with this grip, but I'm not going to emphasize anything with it until after the SPF meet (unless my shoulders start acting up and I have to switch to it). I think the plan for now will be sticking to my usual grip, and adding in some dead benching with it, as Janis suggested. Seems like the best plan of action over the next few weeks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:39 pm

2/21/2015

Deadlift

405 x 1
455 x 1
495 x 1
515 x 2

405 x 3
405 x 3

Sumo

315 x 5 (much glut activation)

515 x 2 was a conventional PR, and it wasn't all too difficult either.  Good to know that my deadlift may possibly be deciding to not suck so much ass anymore.  My reps weren't the prettiest, but I'll take them.  First rep it looked like I was doing some ramping and even like I hitched the weight up a little at the end.  Both things were completely unintentional, and I think unnecessary.  I am going to analyze the footage a little more, but I think it had to do with my starting position.  The 2nd rep went better.  I maybe could have eaked out a third rep, but odds are things would've gotten ugly.  And there's no need to be doing any of that so close to this meet coming up.

Edit: Watched the unedited footage. I know my setup takes a while, but good lord. It was over 20 seconds from the time I had both hands on the bar until the time I started to pull. That's a lot of wasted energy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:55 am

2/23/15

Squat w/ wraps

465 x 1
505 x 1
505 x 1

I tried a few different wraps, but my favorite of the day were Willingham's strangulators.  The plan was just to feel out something heavy with wraps.  I planned on at least 465, and if it felt good I was going to go 485.  465 felt way easier than I thought it would, so I just decided why not do 5 plates with the squat bar.  The first single at 505 felt incredible.  No form break down or misgrooving.  On the second however, I came a little forward, but still got the weight up without too much issue.  I felt like I took that one really low too.  I'm working on figuring out my squat training from this point on.  It will most likely be all singles work in the mono.  I have 3 more squat sessions to get in before the meet, and I could possiblly get in a 4th, since I'm taking a deload week before and I squat on Mondays.  I'll see where things are at.

Some t-bar rows and planks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:14 am

2/24/15

Pasued bench press

I got robbed of a paused PR on my first set of 345.  The bar barely slowed down before the spotter grabbed it.  It think he was a little over cautious because I told him before that if I need help, I just want him to grab it and not let me struggle.  Anyhow, I got another clean rep in with 345 which was also good.  First rep moved really well.  I felt really good about that at least.

Notes: 345 paused felt much better than 355 puased did before I bench 375 at the fair this August.  I think both were done at similar points of fatigue in my training routine, so this is promising.

315 x 1
345 x 1.7 (PR robbed by spotter)
345 x 1

dead bench 1" off chest

295 x 1
315 x 1
315 x 1
335 x 1
335 x 1

Did these with my regular grip (thank you Janis) and they felt considerably better than when I tried them with my normal grip last week.  Still, the narrower grip seemed very beneficial for me.  I may do it once a week with either some board press or slingshot after for overlaod work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:38 am

2/27/15

Deadlift

495 x 1
525 x 1
555 x 1 (5 lb PR)
575 x 1 (25 lb PR)

Dear diary...So it turns out that my deadlift is doing a heck of a lot better than I thought.  My plan today was to come in and do a heavy single and then some back off work.  Heavy was going to be 525, but that moved  easily enough that I decided to go for a 5 lb PR.  555 moved nicely as well.  That was a big surprise.  I tried 555 sumo back when it was feeling really good and coulodn't budge it.  I was debating hitting something heavier after that.  In the end I reasoned that I'm a month out which should give my body adequate recovery time and that it'd be good to know where my deadlift is at.

It wasn't too long ago that I tried to pull 515 conventional and it was nailed to the floor.  I'm not even sure if I logged about that because it was too dissapointing lol. It was shortly after i ended my brief stint with sumo.  And I had some really crummy deadlifting sessions up until about 2 weeks ago where everything felt slow and heavy.  Last week I pulled 515 for a fairly difficult double, maybe could've done it for a triple.  Even if I pulled it for 3, the calculated max would be 545, which I thought would have been really tough.  Maybe it's the hashbrowns I've been eating every morning.  Maybe my hamstrings have gotten so tight from sitting at a desk all day that they just act like springy rubber bands now.  Maybe it's magic.  I don't know what it is, but I just hope it happens on meet day and I didn't shoot my wad too soon, because the lift took a lot out of me.  I dropped down to do some speed work with 405 and called it after 2 pulls because it felt heavy and I felt tired.

Plan with deadlifting moving forward for meet day will be to take the next 3 weeks as follows:

week 1:  easy week/ recovery from today.  Maybe just not deadlift at all

week 2:  singles w/ up to between 475 or so for speed and setup

week 3:  Work up to double or triple with 515 to gauge where things are.  triple will only be if double feels easy.  If a double feels harder than it did last week then I will go somewhere and cry.

My reasoning behind doing this is because it seemed to work leading up to yesterday.  Given that I don't have a lot of time to think of anything else, I'm just going to go with it.  I really don't feel the need to push my deadlift very hard at all from this point forward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:17 pm

Paused bench w/pinkies rings

315 x 2
315 x 2
315 x 2

same grip w/slingshot
345 x 2
365 x 2
385 x 2
400 x help from Zach spotting

When I use this narrower grip, for some reason I get set up so much better.  I need to take what I learn from using it and apply it to me current comp grip.

I'm getting better with the slingshot.  I also think I get more out of it with the narrower grip.  The hand off on the 400 was quite a bit more than I like and am used to, and it caused me to have some difficulty setting up.  400 may have been dumb, but I am easily influenced and Zach exudes a ton motivational energy lol.  In all honesty, the heavy stuff didn't feel at all like I thought it would in my hands.  It was the first time I ever used the slingshot to handle weights I'd have no business touching without it.

Dbb ohp

3 sets
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:49 pm

3/2/15

Wrapped squat

505 x 1
535 x 1

These weren't bad. These could've been a little deeper.. Dalton wrapped my knees really tight, and it made hitting depth a little more difficult. Depth on 535 looked a little better than 505 I think. Some day I will learn how to not good morning squat.

Anderson squat no belt

225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3

These felt good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:31 am

Gotta force yourself down there and let the wraps work out of the hole. Descend faster and get rebound out of the bottom.

For your good morning squats, you just gotta get your upper back in position from the start. It's looking like the weight is already out in front of you as you unrack and before you start your rep.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:18 am

Chirs Anderson wrote:
Gotta force yourself down there and let the wraps work out of the hole. Descend faster and get rebound out of the bottom.

Gonna keep this in mind next squat session.

Quote :
For your good morning squats, you just gotta get your upper back in position from the start. It's looking like the weight is already out in front of you as you unrack and before you start your rep.

I see what you're talking about. I will remember that when I'm getting into position in the mono.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:44 pm

That is why I really like to cue myself to unrack by doing nothing but bracing and pushing my hips forward. I don't arch out of the rack or squat the weight out anymore, it's just squeezinv the glutes and hips and getting under the bar. When the weights are light, the bar ends up floating up as I get myself in position just from getting tight and under the bar.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:38 pm

Dang. I Know I've heard you say that before. It made sense to me then, and it makes sense to me now. I just haven't gotten to the point where I'm actively thinking about it during my setup. I have 3 more squat sessions to really work on hammering some things in before this meet. my plan is to next week dial back the intensity a little so I can focus more in position, setup and so on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:43 am

3/3/15

Paused bench (w/ press commands)

335 w/ ring finger on rings

335 w/ middle finger on rings

275 x 7
275 x 6

w/ middle finger on rings

Some bis and tris

I'm think (think, but I'm not sure yet) I'm just going to switch to using a narrower grip, probably w/ my pinkies on the rings. It's a not an ideal time to be switching it because I know it won't be as strong as my wide grip by meet time. Still, I'm sick of having shoulder/bicep pain. I think I'm just going to hammer the narrower grip twice a week and rest up come meet time. If I only bench 350 and not 370+ it's not the end of the world for me. I also think long term it will actually be a stronger grip for me once my triceps aren't so incredibly weak. There's only one way to find out I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:48 pm

Note:  Wednesday I spent a lot of time clearing about 2 inches of ice from my and my neighbor's sidewalk.  It was exhausting and really tired out my lower back and irritated my biceps.  I cut out thursday's pulling session (was going to be really light anyway) and didn't make it to the gym Friday because I had family in town.

3/7/15

Paused Bench press w/pinkies on ring

315 x 1
335 x 1
355 x 1

The narrower grip caught up really fast.  315 was really fast, and 335 was faster than I think it has ever moved.  The pauses were really long too.  Only thing is, for some reason, I sunk the weight just about a half inch or so after pausing it (more so on 355).  Never been something I've done, but I think it's connected to bring my grip in a little.  It's easier for me to think about "exploding" with this grip and I guess I connect that with sinking a little for some reason.  Need to eliminate that asap.  I'm sticking with it though.  The reduced stress on my biceps is enough reason to stop me from thinking about going really wide grip.

2 board press

355 x 5

this was surprisingly easy.  Last time I did these with this grip I got a difficult 3 with 335.  I guess lockout is doing very well.

Close grip (comp narrow)

275 x 6

Pushups

3 sets of 15 - 20

Lat pulldowns

4 sets

Some curls and banded tris (one or two sets)

Some very light Ukrainian deadlifts and one set of walking lunges because I really felt like I needed to activate my posterior chain a little and get some blood in there.

Last edited by Andy Awad on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:03 pm

Wrapped squats

415 x 1
465 x 1
505 x 1
505 x 1

Focus today was to really sink my squats, and they were all below parallel, which pleased me. I wrapped my own knees for every set, and holy crap, that is a lot of work. I'm glad I did it. I've really appreciated having people to help me with this, but after today I appreciate it even more.

Paused squats (no belt)

235 x 3
235 x 3
285 x 2

Leg extensions ss w/ leg curls

2 sets x 20 reps

I've been having irritation in my inner quads for some time now. It goes away once I warm up (or maybe I just don't think about it when weights are heavy), but it's more of a bother in everyday life stuff...like squatting to pick things up or tie my shoes lol. Doing leg curls and extensions seemed to be beneficial for it.

I have one more heavy squat session next Monday. Plan is to go up to around a second attempt weight (535 - 545). Then, that Saturday, I plan to work up to a squat and bench opener (about 500, and 330) before basically resting for a week. I'm getting excited.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:01 am

3/10/15

Paused bench press, pinkies on rings

315 x 1
345 x 1
365 x 1 (paused gym PR)

w/ XL slingshot

395 x 1
405 x 1

2 board

365 x 4 missed 5th

narrow grip (just about comp narrow)

275 x 6

Bench is going very well. I don't really know what to do because every session is feeling better than the last, which is slightly worrisome...I don't want to peak too soon. I've been working up to 315 and gauging things with that. Every time I hit 315 it moves faster than the last time. Today it moved practically like 225. Switching my grip up completely changed any plan I had with my bench training. The plan moving forward is to keep hitting clean singles, and as long as speed is really good on 315, I'll keep pushing the weight and overload work to hopefully carryover that speed into strength on heavier lifts. If stuff starts to feel shitty, I'll just go somewhere and cry about peaking too early. About 1 week out from the fair, I hit 355 paused, and it wasn't as good as 365 was today. this tells me if the meet were a week from today and I rested up for it I could possibly go 380+. The fact that it's not tells me I honestly have no idea what I'm doing right now or what to do these next few weeks....but I have a good feeling about things. Also, I'll be cutting the accessory stuff back/out soon.

Seated dbb press ss w/lat pulldowns

about 4 or 5 sets

2 sets banded tris w/orange band

one set curls
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:38 am

3/12/15

Deadlift

495 x 1
525 x 1

I ate before pulling, which proved to be a terrible idea. I had a lot of trouble getting into position and taking a big breath with the belt on. I am officially getting fat. Despite that, 495 moved really well. 525 slowed down a bit though. I was in a really bad starting position and had a really bad breath. Luke was in to do some filming though, so I just went for it.

Romain deadlift

225 x 8
275 x 8
315 x 8

Did these for some hamstring and glut activation and work. My quads are feeling really stressed right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:15 am

3/13/15 sexy lumberjack bench night at Magni

Paused bench press

315 x 1
345 x 1
365 x 1

tng bench

315 x 6 PR

youtube vid is unlisted lol. Don't want the cutoffs going public just yet.

These moved pretty well, but not quite as well as they did a few days prior. 315 and 345 were just a little slower, and 365 felt closer to what my max would have been for the day. It is clear that it's time to taper things off now. I'm really happy with how this benching cycle ended for me. I went from missing 350 for a tng double twice to confidently being able to get 365 with a solid pause with a new grip. When I switched to the narrow grip, it was largely influenced by an article I read by Brand Lilly called "Narrow Your Thinking for a Bigger Bench Press". He described his experiences with wide grip benching, and they seemed similar to mine in a lot of respects. I'm glad I made the switch.

push ups

lat pulls with strap instead of bar

some bis and tris

I don't have a lot of meet experience, but I usually do well with a rest week and I have so far liked the meet environment. I've started playing around with some numbers. I have a good idea for bench and deadlift attempts, but I'm still working out the squat numbers. I think I"ll have a better idea after tomorrow's squat session.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:56 am

3/16/15

wrapped squat

505 x 1
545 x 1
555 x 1

Warmups didn't feel good at all, and 505 didn't move that well either.  Squatting is the only lift for me where the warmups can feel like shit, and then heavy working sets can feel pretty good.  I think it might have to do with trusting the wraps.  On the heavier sets, I know I need them and I rely on them to do what they're supposed to.  When I got to 545, it moved really fast, but it was high.  Had I been pleased with the depth, I would have called it a day.  But since I wasn't, and it didn't take a lot out of me, I put on a little extra weight and went for it.  I am pleased with this lift.  Also, I think the nose tork helped out on it.

Today will be an easy bench day, Thursday will be some light deadlifting, and then I think I will work up to a heavyish bench on Friday.  Then I'll be done with training.  I'll come in a few times next week just to roll around and get some blood flowing to my muscles.

I have my attempts pretty much selected for this meet (plan accordingly, Dalton):

kilos            pounds

Squat                             225             496
                                    245             540
                                256.5/260      565/573

Bench                             152             335
                                    164             361
                                172.5/175      380/385

Deadlift                           235             518
                                    252             555
                                263.5/265      581/584

Goal Total                    392.5/700     1526/1543

I picked first attempts that should be fairly easy even on a bad day in the gym (confidence booster).  Second attempts are lifts that I feel like I'm capable of getting on pretty much any given day right now.  Third attempts are listed two ways.  The first represent the next training goals I have for myself, and I feel fairly confident that I can get them as long as things are going well.  I would be very happy to hit these lifts.  The second are numbers that have been adjusted up to add up to a 700 kilo total.  This is arbitrary, really, as I am not very attached to these numbers.  A 7 times body weight total would be very cool though.  I picked these after seeing how close my initial goals were to 700 kilos.  15 and a half lbs seemed like something I could play around with between the 3 lifts if things were feeling exceptionally well.  We'll see, but for now, I feel inclined to go with the numbers that represent my next personal goals.  Of course, all of this could be subject to change come meet day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:04 pm

3/18/15

Bench singles

Incline bench

135 x 3 x 5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:28 am

3/19/15

Deadlift

405 x 1
455 x 1
455 x 1

RDLs

225 x 10
225 x 10

ss w/leg extensions

8 x 20
8 x 20

Speed felt really good. I deadlifted in my chucks. Apparently I waited too long and now everywhere is out of the size large deadlifting slippers I wanted to get. I ordered a pair of mediums, but I'm slightly worried that they will be too small and I'll have to wear my chucks. Everything felt pretty much the same with them on, which was a good thing. 455 moved a little better this session than it did last week when I couldn't get in a good position.

Notes: Was feeling tired and run down, no afternoon caffeine, and hadn't eaten since 1, and started pulling at about 8. My thought going in was these circumstances could, at least a little bit, simulate the fatigue of pulling at the end of a meet.

3/20/15

weighed in at the CRWC scale first thing after waking up and taking a shower. Weighed 218.0 in my socks and underwear without eating or drinking or pooping. Looks like as I don't eat like a total slob, I won't have to worry about cutting. I'll be sure to stay hydrated and just do everything like normal and check my weight again Thursday morning. If I need to make some minor adjustments then I will.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:04 pm

3/20/15

Paused bench

275 x 1
315 x 1
330 x 1
360 x 1
380 x 1

slongshot

405 x why did I even try. I un-racked the weight and immediately felt the fatigue of grinding out 380. I thought it'd be an easy single lol. Collins was spotting me and did a really good job of getting it quickly and not making me tire myself out any more than I had too.

close grip

225 x 10
225 x 10

I was thinking about going for 380 for a few days because bench had been feeling really good and recovering fast. I knew I was going to work up to 360 (planned second attempt) and I just decided if it moved really well I'd go for 380. 380 was a grinder for sure, and there was some bar tilt going on (bar tilt was there most of the session. I think it is a symptom of fatigue) and it dipped down at one point, but I'm stoked I got it. I have never grinded a bench out like that before. In retrospect, I just hope it didn't take too much out of me. My bench has been recovering well from heavy stuff, so I hope that this isn't the end of that road yet lol.

Thoughts on meet prep:

There were a lot of things that changed in pretty much all of my lifts recently, and it really affected any plans I had in my programming. I ended up doing a lot more heavy stuff than I usually do and certainly more than I had planned to do. I think it ultimately was a good experience for me, but I don't think I'll do quite things like this again. I summarized the changes in all of my lifts below.

Squat:

Added wraps. Adding wraps changed the way I squat quite a bit. I ultimately think it will help me with my unwrapped squat as well. I did very little volume with these. I started out with medium intensity triples and moved to doing progressively heavier singles. My reasoning was that I didn't think volume would benefit me very much in the short term. I thought that the most important thing to do would simply be to get good at heavyish singles and gradually increase the weight and condition my CNS to heavier loads than it has experienced before. The idea was to eventually get to something in training that felt like I had to really commit to the lift to not miss it. My final single was 555. I am quite pleased with it. I came forward a bit, but it moved very well.

Bench:

Taking grip in changed things more than I ever imagined it would. I went from struggling to get 335 with a paused to getting (a very difficult) 380 with a pause in a matter of a month. It's the most progress I've ever seen in myself as a lifter in such a short period of time. I never would have thought that I could benefit so much from a setup change like that. Not only strength wise, but my shoulders and biceps are doing significantly better. I basically did heavy stuff almost every workout on bench. It's never worked for me in the past, but I think I got lucky and had a Dalton-esque PR train with the new grip. Here's to hoping it continues for one more week.

Deadlift:

For several months I tried pulling slowly off the floor with my hips relatively high. I was largely influenced by Richard Hawthorne's videos. I really liked the mindset behind it, but it didn't get me anywhere at all. I watched some old footages of my lifting, back when my deadlift was my best lift, and I noticed that I naturally was setting up with my hips very low and snapping into the lift. I decided to go back to more or less pulling with that type of a setup. It ended up making about a 50 lb difference in what I am able to pull conventional. The only problem with this is that I just don't like it very much. It seems inherently like a more dangerous style of pulling for me. I will see about learning to pull conventional with the same lower hips starting position and not snapping into things after this meet. I will also make a concerted effort to actually learn how to pull sumo and increasing hip mobility, flexibility, and just overall hip health. I think 600 sumo could happen long before 600 conventional would for me if I get it down.

That sums things up with my lifts these past few months. I'm really excited about Saturday. I hope to hit the numbers I have in mind, but I won't be too upset if I don't. My recent training was such a positive experience for me that I will be content either way. I know the goal is to ultimately have a good meet for all three lifts, but I feel like positive training experiences are also very valuable. After all, it is in the gym where you spend the countless hours training every single week. If that is an intrinsically valuable experience in itself, then I feel like that is what will keep you doing this for a long time.

These are my best lifts from the last 2 months or so.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:10 am

3/24/15

squat

285 x 3
285 x 3
285 x 3
285 x 1 (used mono)

leg extensions and leg curls

2 very light sets

Thought I'd come in just to do some light squats today to keep things moving and get some much needed blood flow into my legs.  Put some light wraps on very lightly just to keep the same motion as a wrapped squat for me.  I was thinking about coming in tomorrow to do some light benching, but I may just skip it and opt to rest.  I feel good, and taking a very light day typically helps me perform better before a heavy sessions.  I also think it will help keep the bench momentum I have right now going.  If I do, it will be something like 3 singles at 225 - 245.  After I basically warmed up my squat today, I really wanted to push it.  I think that stimulation is good for me. Also, despite being light, my form felt really on today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:41 pm

3/24/15

Bench

185 x 2
185 x 1
185 x 1

Setup felt good. Bar path felt really good. I felt like I could have thrown 185 up to the ceiling.

one easy set half rep pushups just for a little extra blood flow

one set very light lat pulldowns

one set bis and tris, very low intensity
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:01 pm

Meet write up

Was able to go 220 without really having to cut.  I ate a small dinner Thursday night and didn't eat or drink anything Friday morning.  I weighed 220 on the dot in my sweat pants.

Squat: 505/540/575(x)

Warmups went ok.  I wasn't too worried because warmups for squats have generally not been feeling as good as my heavy attempts recently.  The pace of things in the meet threw me off a little.  I thought the flight before me was on their third attempts when in fact my flight had already begun.  I found Chris and he wrapped me up quick and I went and squatted 505.  In retrospect, we felt more rushed than we actually were.  I came forward a bit on 505 and it didn't feel the best, but it felt good enough to go ahead with my planned second attempt.  For 540, Chris did an awesome wrap job and it moved really well.  I probably overshot with 575 for my third attempt.  Despite the world's tightest wrap job by Chris, I couldn't stay balanced.  I never stopped moving up with the weight, but I fell backward on my way out of the hole.  When I went down with the weight, I honestly thought to myself "this is going back up no matter what".  I'd never fallen backwards like that before, so that is something new for me.  I don't know if I could have grinded that one out if I were able to stay balanced, but I was ready to fight for it.

Bench: 330/360/385(x)

Barely missed 385 on the lock out.  It sucks because I do think I could have gotten this had I restrained myself last week and not grinded out 380.  My first attempt felt really good, but when I felt 360, I could tell my cns wasn't fully recovered.  It moved well and my muscles felt good, but it just had that feeling like I wasn't fully in control of the weight.  The good news is I've never been strong enough to miss my bench at lockout.  The bad news is this is not a good feeling.

Deadlift: 515/550/580

I was extremely tired by this point.  Deadlifting was literally the last thing in the world I wanted to do, but somehow the weights were moving well.  I think it is in part due to the fact that I drank two spikes, and also in part that I hadn't tapped out my deadlift in recent weeks.  My goal for the day was to pull 585, but after missing my third squat and bench attempts, I adjusted it slightly down to something that would be a little easier while still giving me a PR.  It was a grinder and I almost couldn't lock it out.  I haven't missed a deadlift at the lockout, and almost missing this one was new experience for me.  I held it there for several seconds and felt my gluts and hammies burning the entire time.  It almost got stuck, but I managed to pull it through at the end.

All in all an awesome day.  One of the best weekends I've had in a while.  I will certainly do some things differently in my next meet prep, but I am very pleased with how this one went.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Thu May 28, 2015 12:43 pm

It's been a while...

5/26/15

High bar olympic style squat w/light wraps

409 x 3
409 x 3
343 x 5

Squats felt great, but when I got home after my workout my right knee was feeling swollen and shitty. I'm going to see Cody today.

Bench

315 x 1 (fastest 315 I've ever done, didn't get it on film though :'(
345 x 1
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
drop to 225 x 13 (missed 14)
drop to 135 for like 13 or something

lots of lat pulldowns.

Bench feels alright. 345 came up decently, but it was kinda crooked and I didn't keep as tight as I wanted. It's the heaviest bench I've done in quite some time, so I'm ok with it. Last week I did 335 and it moved a little straighter, but a little slower. The weight felt a little heavy in my hands, probably from the volume I did at my last few sessions. I only rested for about 1.5 min between sets at 275 and the final one at 225.

My training got a little sidetracked for a while, but It's starting to come together again and I'm going to do my best to keep logging. I am concerned I fucked up knee by doing atg oly squats. hopefully nothing is too fucked up. If it is I will just have to spend the summer doing bench only and getting my upper body as jacked as possible.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   

Back to top Go down

Andy Awad's Training Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 15 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next