Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Training sessions at the Field House

Go down 
+3
Seth
Keosawa
Chris Anderson
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

Training sessions at the Field House Empty
PostSubject: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 11:05 pm

Hey all,

We will now be having our team training sessions in the weightlifting room at the Field House. These training sessions will be the same time as our usual sessions (Fridays and Sundays, 4-6pm). I'd like to emphasize a few main points:

-A club officer (President, VP, Secretary, or Treasurer) must be present at all of these sessions. I am looking in to see if we can just have a Safety Officer, but it's looking like this will be the arrangement.

-We really need to make sure people show up to these sessions, or it will look really bad on us. We're being given a really cool opportunity to have a reserved time and space all to ourselves to train, and I'm assuming that this is one of those "if you don't use it, you lose it" situations. Attendance will be taken by the officers present, and as I mentioned at the last couple of meetings, Rec Services has told us that they will drop in from time to time on our sessions.

-Be on your best behaviour when you are using this room. Keep it clean and take care of the equipment. I don't think this is will be an issue, but I will keep things strict. If somebody is abusing the equipment or acting like a jackass, you will be asked to leave. Again, I don't think this will ever be a problem, but here is your warning. Everybody should be holding each other to a high standard. Make our club look good!

-As of now, we will just stick with the usual training times, but if attendance increases, I will see if we can get more time to use the room.

From what I hear, the equipment is fairly limited, but good quality. Per Nathan Poage, the room has:

Four platforms, with ~150kg each
York? barbells
Misc dumbbells
Rings
Pull up bars
Benches

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 9:18 am

Should we perhaps do something like an advanced sign-up for these sessions? Based on the amount of available stuff, it sounds like the sort of situation that would be ideal for 4-6 people at a time, but a group of twelve is probably going to have a bad time. I don't know if there is a way to do this, but it would help to know how many are planning to attend.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 9:20 am

Oh, and another thought: since we now have our own space, what about occasionally reserving one of those sessions for a "group workshop and training" session? It would be a chance to take new lifters through the lifts and offer advice. I would be willing to do something like this--I know we've got a lot of lifters now who are qualified to help--and if we did it early in the semester, when we're bringing in new people, it might really help with retention. You could call it a two-hour "learn to lift" seminar or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 9:30 am

Any idea if the platforms are accompanied by racks or just squat stands? Also, if we could maybe get some kind of tally on people who plan to go and what big lift/lifts they are planning that will use the platforms maybe we can somehow set up who's on what platform and such ahead of time. Just an idea to help keep us organized and running smoothly.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 10:22 am

No racks, only stands. Everybody has to play SQUAT OR DIE!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 12:18 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
Oh, and another thought: since we now have our own space, what about occasionally reserving one of those sessions for a "group workshop and training" session? It would be a chance to take new lifters through the lifts and offer advice. I would be willing to do something like this--I know we've got a lot of lifters now who are qualified to help--and if we did it early in the semester, when we're bringing in new people, it might really help with retention. You could call it a two-hour "learn to lift" seminar or whatever.

I really like this--I've toyed with the idea in the past, but we never had a way to effectively implement it. I dunno why this didn't occur to me. I will gauge interest via Facebook and our first couple of meetings. In the meantime, I'll look into if this would be allowed. I don't think there will be an issue.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 12:58 pm

this pleases me
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 4:16 pm

Are the benches any good?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 4:51 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:

I think Nate said they're better than the CRWC. He'd have to confirm this though.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:

I think Nate said they're better than the CRWC. He'd have to confirm this though.
Confirmed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 8:26 pm

This is great. Too bad the equipment is so minimal but it should be doable. Are there four squat stands, ie stations to squat/bench from? Is it safe to hand off a DL for someone to bench? Trying to think how the space could be used.
Back to top Go down
rndchris
Class IV
Class IV
rndchris

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 10:12 am

Kyle Keough wrote:
Should we perhaps do something like an advanced sign-up for these sessions? Based on the amount of available stuff, it sounds like the sort of situation that would be ideal for 4-6 people at a time, but a group of twelve is probably going to have a bad time. I don't know if there is a way to do this, but it would help to know how many are planning to attend.

This is about what I was thinking. I think we could reasonably have 8 lifters at each practice, and if we grow too large to accommodate people at each practice we could rotate out spectators and lifters weekly. We would have to sign up for practice in advance. I would like to use the buddy system and pair up two similar strength lifters to a platform. And overall shoot for having at least one platform occupied by one of the more advanced lifters in the club, and the remaining three platforms taken by intermediate and novice lifters to balance out skills. At our first meeting, we'd just need to have a practice intake form asking for preferred lifting day, preferred lifts to work on at practices, 1RM maxes, and then post a practice schedule on the forum. This will require more organization then our current "practices", but I think it will make us feel more like a club.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 10:54 am

Spectators?
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 12:23 pm

I definitely think this is doable given just 4 racks and 2 benches. Saturday mornings at 22nd street are team training sessions and usually have 6+ guys on just the monolift alone and about 4+ guys per bench. The spotters are the guys that just recently finished and the next person or 2 people usually sit off to the side so that they can wrap up/prep for their lift. Everyone takes turns at changing the weights and just keep the ball rolling.

It can feel a bit hectic, chaotic, and crowded but it provides a similar atmosphere to a meet
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 12:33 pm

For the first couple of sessions, we are going to take a "wait and see" approach before making any major changes to the way we organize everything. I think that putting more order and organization into the sessions, with signups, etc, is a good idea, but we need to see how this space can handle the club in any fashion first. I'm not comfortable making sweeping changes to the sessions yet, but I think that change will eventually need to happen, and that it will be a good thing.

We are not likely to get a big influx of new members until after the student org fair, anyway. Which, speaking of, I have heard no word of when that might be. I don't know if they send out an email or if we have to go hunting after the information. Kyle, if you know the process behind this, please let me know. We were already signed up for the fall org fair by the time I took over as El Presidentes, so I'm not entirely sure.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 2:46 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
For the first couple of sessions, we are going to take a "wait and see" approach before making any major changes to the way we organize everything. I think that putting more order and organization into the sessions, with signups, etc, is a good idea, but we need to see how this space can handle the club in any fashion first. I'm not comfortable making sweeping changes to the sessions yet, but I think that change will eventually need to happen, and that it will be a good thing.

We are not likely to get a big influx of new members until after the student org fair, anyway. Which, speaking of, I have heard no word of when that might be. I don't know if they send out an email or if we have to go hunting after the information. Kyle, if you know the process behind this, please let me know. We were already signed up for the fall org fair by the time I took over as El Presidentes, so I'm not entirely sure.

I'm trying to find the info--usually it's posted on OrgSync somewhere at the end of the fall semester. I think this is the link: https://orgsync.com/14241/chapter. Is your e-mail christopher-c-anderson@uiowa.edu? I found a Fair Day e-mail that was sent out to us on Nov. 15th. Generally though, they don't publicize the release of these forms much--they just post them on OrgSync.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 5:43 pm

How is it that nobody at the university has my actual email address? My hawkmail is chris-anderson@uiowa.edu.

Anyway, thanks for posting that--I will see what I can do.

EDIT: That link no worky. I see a link to the org fair event on the main org sync page, but there is no form or anything.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Spectators?
The Big Dawg always did want groupies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training sessions at the Field House   Training sessions at the Field House Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Training sessions at the Field House
Page 1 of 1