Share | 

Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rndchris
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 am

At the meetings there have been whisperings of having a seminar for incoming and returning club members. It'd be great if we could have one during the next Friday practice, since it will be the first practice after prospective members have been to a meeting, and it will promote membership retention. This will also be great use of the new practice room in the fieldhouse.

At the field house we could have three stations in the practice room (one for benching, one for squatting, and one for deadlifting), and then have one or two volunteers from the club to a station to workshop with other members and incoming members at the seminar. At four o'clock, people would be divided into three groups at each of the stations, and then spend 45 minutes at each station workshopping.

What we need
-A place <-- Fieldhouse Olympic Room
-A time <-- 4-6pm Feb 14th
-Volunteers to man each of the stations
Squat:
1)
2)

Bench:
1)
2)

Deadlift:
1)
2)

I'll bring this up at the meeting and talk about it, and other suggestions would be great to.

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:36 pm

45 minutes will not be enough time. I think this would be done best if we did it for the full two hours.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rndchris
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:06 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
45 minutes will not be enough time. I think this would be done best if we did it for the full two hours.

45 minutes at each station, not total.

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:51 pm

Okay, I like that.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:55 pm

Note: we can easily move this to Sunday or even a different werk depending on what works best for everybody. I will maintain the list of coaches and participants here.

Squat:

Bench press:
Chris Anderson

Deadlift:

Participants:
Nel

Requesting Kyle to coach the deadlift and Poage to coach the squat. I would like 1-2 people to coach each lift. Everybody involved will be asked to spot and load.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:10 pm

Nah, Kyle should teach everybody to squat like he does.

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:21 pm

Well, he will be changing his stance up now.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Well, he will be changing his stance up now.

Inb4 "i am going to widen my stance" (squats with same stance)

Although i think he is 4 cereal this time

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:12 pm

He is going to narrow his bench grip as well. Shit, next thing you know, he'll be going 165 and pulling sumo. I bet he ditches the wraps, too.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:47 pm

Well other than this being extremely rushed, planned at a meeting where several members were not present, and requesting people coach who may not be able to or willing because of time constraints, this sounds like a good idea.

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:52 pm

Well other than us talking about it at the meeting prior, and that the requests are not binding whatsoever, that was a good post.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:57 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Well other than us talking about it at the meeting prior, and that the requests are not binding whatsoever, that was a good post.

We never talked about dates which is the main concern here. And it doesn't matter if requests are not binding it puts people in a tough spot when they are nominated by the president to do something without being consulted first.

Edit* Just about anyone who attends meetings regularly and trains at the CRWC would be in a position to teach a new lifter the basics of any of the three lifts.

Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:00 pm

This is on Valentine's Day, yo.

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:16 pm

We said that the weekend after this last meeting would be a good idea.

I don't get where you're getting this whole "asking people to do something puts them in a tough spot" thing. If they can't/don't want do it, they can simply say no. I will never force anybody in this club to do anything they cannot or do not wish to do. At the meeting, we decided that if this weekend isn't going to work for most people, then we can simply move it. It doesn't require any extensive planning or a lot of work to put this together.

I requested Kyle to coach because he has already said he would make it a focus of his to come to more of these training sessions. I asked Nathan to coach because he is planning on being an S&C coach and the more coaching opportunities he has, the better for both him and the club. They are both very knowledgeable about the sport and I really don't mind which lift they coach. I would welcome just about anybody to coach.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:04 pm

To make things clear, I want this to be a team effort. Everybody's opinion matters and these kinds of events are for the good of the club. The more active involvement, the better, and I want to encourage discussion amongst everybody.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:09 am

I'm happy to help in any capacity. Now that my meet is done, I feel like I can dedicate a bit more attention to these team sessions. My one concern regarding the 14th is that it might not be enough time to publicize it and get advance commitments (which I think would be important) from participants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
rndchris
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:37 am

David Petersen wrote:
Well other than this being extremely rushed, planned at a meeting where several members were not present, and requesting people coach who may not be able to or willing because of time constraints, this sounds like a good idea.

I'm pretty sure this isn't going to happen next week because our attendance not expected for the meeting after a mass email, and I think we should see if we can get more publicity for it by telling rec services today that we would like to have workshop to help prepare people for the intramural meet at one of our team practices. (free publicity)

Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:25 am

Yeah, I don't know if it would be the best idea to do this weekend as we don't really have many to participate in it yet. I think setting a date and somehow getting more publicity (I like Coffman's idea) would be the best way to go about this. Unless we set a time and date not many will commit to come participate. Having new members attend and learn something from this is the whole idea behind this, so making sure we have that is key.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:54 am

Alright, it is sounding more and more like we should set this a bit farther in the future--this is probably a good idea, as I completely forgot about the UPA meet this weekend and the fact that some of us are planning on going and watching/supporting Grant (and others) as he competes.

I'm not sure if we can really put this through Rec Services--keep in mind that we are not allowed to have a whole lot of non-members at our official practices, and that "personal training" is not authorized if you aren't on their list of official personal trainers. It is something that we can look into, though--perhaps we can bring it up when we meet with them today.

My next question is: now that we are putting this into the future, when would we like to do this? Next weekend? Maybe the weekend before the intramural meet? I also had the idea that we can incorporate this seminar into a training opportunity for the judges and spotters/loaders, but I can foresee that getting really crowded and not working very well.

What does everybody think?

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rndchris
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:03 pm

I feel like the intramural meet is going to have to be our big recruiting event of the semester, since we were unable to participate in the fair. I know you will probably read this, Kyle, could you email me the flyer template that you handed out last semester at the fall pick-one and student org fairs? I think we should probably have flyers about our club available at the meet, that way, people who are not part of the club, or are curious about it can have a solid "call us" card.

I think it would be more reasonable and beneficial to have a small, informal team practice more geared towards meet preparation leading up to the meet, than having a glamorous event before we've really been able to recruit many people. Sundays have been fairly quiet all semester for practices. The mass email did not attract nearly as many people to the meeting as what I had expected.

That said, treating the intramural meet as a recruiting event. I think after that would be the time to offer a seminar if there are members from outside the club that compete and show interest in the club. Then we can pull out the spray glitter and streamers, and throw the best lifting seminar that Johnson county has to offer.

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:05 pm

rndchris wrote:
I know you will probably read this, Kyle, could you email me the flyer template that you handed out last semester at the fall pick-one and student org fairs?

I will look on my office computer; I lost all my old files from the last PC and don't have it saved on here.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:10 pm

I think we should run it next weekend and cater towards the members of our team (and there are a number of them) that are planning on doing the meet. Run it as a workshop and use it as a time for people to get their lifting technique evaluated. If you kill two birds with one stone and use it to serve a dual purpose, you stand a better chance of attracting a big enough crowd to make it worth everyone's time.

But if you're going to do it next weekend, schedule it now, alert everyone via e-mail, and tell them that we only have X spots available and once they're gone, they're gone. Get firm commitments from people to attend. I don't want for this to be a situation where the only people that show up are the presenters, and you know that's going to happen unless you get FIRM commitments.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:12 pm

If Sundays have been quiet, why not just schedule it for Sunday the 23rd? If no one shows for it, then you at least don't lose a training session that's usually well-attended.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:16 pm

I like the ideas being put forth. So far we have:

1. Seminar to serve a dual purpose as both a technique seminar and a workshop for spotters/loaders/judges

2. Schedule for the Sunday before the intramural meet

3. Send out email and get firm commitments from those participating

4. Use the intramural meet as a recruiting opportunity and hand out flyers, if possible

5. Do another seminar (or more) later on after participation has been evaluated

All who like to talk like pirates say aye

All who like to make horsey noises say neigh

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:52 am

whatever happened with this
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm   

Back to top Go down

Lifting Seminar Feb 14th from 4-6pm
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1