Share | 

Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:32 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
Notes: Benchy is really strong right now, but I'm coming off a multi-week surplus, so that's sort of to be expected. I might go for 305x2 tomorrow to try and break a 2RM before my diet has too much time to return to form. It's times like this that make me realize I'd probably be mid-300s as a 165 in not too much time, but then I just suppress that feel and go back on my diet.

As much as the spectator in me would like to see what you'd do at 165, I know that you still have unfinished business --and a lot of potential yet-- at 148. Hope you have a speedy back recovery man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Andy Awad wrote:
Kyle Keough wrote:
Notes: Benchy is really strong right now, but I'm coming off a multi-week surplus, so that's sort of to be expected. I might go for 305x2 tomorrow to try and break a 2RM before my diet has too much time to return to form. It's times like this that make me realize I'd probably be mid-300s as a 165 in not too much time, but then I just suppress that feel and go back on my diet.

As much as the spectator in me would like to see what you'd do at 165, I know that you still have unfinished business --and a lot of potential yet-- at 148.  Hope you have a speedy back recovery man.

I understand what you are saying. I admit I would be a lot stronger--and probably more comfortable--at 165, but I would also have a much harder time being competitive with the best lifters. Right now, Vashon and Paul are at least 200 lbs. above my total; obviously, I'd close the gap when I moved up, but I would rather just fight for slow progress at this weight class.

I think everyone can empathize with how difficult it is to take a step back, which is why I will hold out as long as I can, even if it means I have to suffer more to stay at weight. I think people look at my situation and think, "well, you'd still be doing well at that weight class," but to me, it feels the same as chopping a hundred pounds off your total would feel to you.

I will speak very honestly here: I am 5'4", and so I'm 3-4 inches shorter than the two best guys. These guys are all 170-180 and very lean. I am either not going to be able to put on enough lean body-mass to match them, or I am going to take a long time in doing so.

In other words, doing their numbers, drug-free, at 165, is probably going to be a stretch, and it's hard for me to just say, "okay, I'll just take a step back for the next five years or so." One of three things will happen in the future: I'll either stay 148, move up to 165 and cope with being just a top-fifteen guy instead of a top-three one, or I'll get on cell tech, so how my body responds, and end up at 1700+ as a 181er.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:40 pm

Come up to 181 and commanderson, monty, and myself will be waiting...

Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
And I think 1450 is a good goal for next year's RUM. As you said, if my deadlift returns to form, I'm already almost there.

Too low. If you aren't competing again until RUM VII and you're addressing your weaknesses instead of playing to your strengths the whole time I don't see a reason why you couldn't be closer to 1500.

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Brometheus wrote:
Come up to 181 and commanderson, monty, and myself will be waiting...

Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
I understand what you are saying. I admit I would be a lot stronger--and probably more comfortable--at 165, but I would also have a much harder time being competitive with the best lifters. Right now, Vashon and Paul are at least 200 lbs. above my total; obviously, I'd close the gap when I moved up, but I would rather just fight for slow progress at this weight class.

I think everyone can empathize with how difficult it is to take a step back, which is why I will hold out as long as I can, even if it means I have to suffer more to stay at weight. I think people look at my situation and think, "well, you'd still be doing well at that weight class," but to me, it feels the same as chopping a hundred pounds off your total would feel to you.

I will speak very honestly here: I am 5'4", and so I'm 3-4 inches shorter than the two best guys. These guys are all 170-180 and very lean. I am either not going to be able to put on enough lean body-mass to match them, or I am going to take a long time in doing so.

In other words, doing their numbers, drug-free, at 165, is probably going to be a stretch, and it's hard for me to just say, "okay, I'll just take a step back for the next five years or so." One of three things will happen in the future: I'll either stay 148, move up to 165 and cope with being just a top-fifteen guy instead of a top-three one, or I'll get on cell tech, so how my body responds, and end up at 1700+ as a 181er.

I like it...a lot.

Nathan Poage wrote:
Kyle Keough wrote:
And I think 1450 is a good goal for next year's RUM. As you said, if my deadlift returns to form, I'm already almost there.

Too low. If you aren't competing again until RUM VII and you're addressing your weaknesses instead of playing to your strengths the whole time I don't see a reason why you couldn't be closer to 1500.

Agreed. Like you said, with your deadlift in top form, you're pretty much already there. But you're bench is also looking very strong, and with your back healthy I don't see why your squat isn't likely to follow suit as you start incorporating more muscle groups as your stance continues to evolve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Yeah, imagine the possibilities when he actually starts using his legs for squats and deadlifts.

Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:11 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
Yeah, imagine the possibilities when he actually starts using his legs for squats and deadlifts.

Kyle using his legs for squats and deadlifts = move out of the way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:14 pm

Andy Awad wrote:
Nathan Poage wrote:

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
Kyle Keough wrote:

Too low.  If you aren't competing again until RUM VII and you're addressing your weaknesses instead of playing to your strengths the whole time I don't see a reason why you couldn't be closer to 1500.

Agreed. Whatever that number ends up being, I'll push it as far as I can. I would LOVE to be closer to 1500, but you're right, it's going to be critical that I address my weaknesses, especially in the first six months.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:20 pm

It's funny how Ludacris always seems to know exactly what to say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:34 pm

Andy Awad wrote:
Nathan Poage wrote:

Well, it will still be a long process--I've probably developed some pretty severe imbalances over time. It could end up being a very BIG step backwards for me. My feeling is that if it were so easy for me to squat and deadlift in a more "normal" fashion, I would have probably gravitated towards it--instead of my really narrow stance--over time. I do think it will be better, but I also am prepared for a transition that takes longer than just one year.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:33 am

Paused Bench Press
231x2
265x2
304x2 (PR)
w/ slingshot
331x1
348x1 (PR)
359x1 (PR)

Notes: Bench has shot up pretty hard in the last couple of weeks; that development is unsurprising, as I really ate a ton the weekend of Janis's meet, and my weight has been about as high as it's ever been since becoming a 148 (I went to bed last night ~163). Obviously, my benching responds really well to food, and I'd probably make much faster progress if I were to gain a little weight. I've had the same thing happen, on occasion, during past training cycles.

So, I'm happy about the benching from the week. 304x2 was a 2RM, and 359 lbs. was something like a 24-lb. PR with the slingshot. It's also probably the heaviest thing I've ever locked out, so that's cool too. Maybe someday I will be able to do it without that piece of fabric.

Otherwise, an uneventful week. I did "leg day" the day before this, with the intention just being to do a lot of lower-body isolation exercises. I'm going to do it again today, and basically for every upcoming day in which I'm not benching. I'm thinking of it as very non-specific GPP to prepare me for squatting and deadlifting. My back feels much better now, which is great--it seems to be responding really well to the rest.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:11 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
PR machine. Uncoincidentally, this all has happened post-kiss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:30 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
Kyle Keough wrote:
PR machine. Uncoincidentally, this all has happened post-kiss.

I see what you did there.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:35 am

Paused Bench Press
225x3
270x3 (whoops--thought this was 255)
295x3 (PR)
w/ slingshot
308x5 (PR, lol)
330x3 (PR, lol)
w/ feet up, narrower grip
200x10
200x10
135ishx10

Notes: Couple of things. I'll try to keep this short. First, Chris and I went to sports medicine today for my appointment. I got x-rays and met with a doctor and, long story short, my back's fine, my SI joints look good, and whatever I have is just a simple sprain. I've been feeling much better recently and will test the waters a bit tomorrow with squatting. My hope is to resume training next week and start the rebuild process. So, that was great news.

Second, benching is still going quite well, so I'm just going to stick with this style of training for the foreseeable future. 295x3 is a nice 3RM PR and sets me up pretty well. I'll transition away from the intensity work now and instead run a volume block for the next three weeks. After that, I may or may not run another intensity block, depending upon how I feel.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:52 am

From yesterday:

Squats, up to 335x1

Box Squats, 265x2x4

Notes: No back pain squatting, but 335 felt a lot heavier than it ever has. I'm going to really up the frequency--and decrease the total volume from my normal training load--over these next few weeks to try and re-acclimate without killing myself in the process. Dropping into the hole felt very awkward, so I'll take my stance in just a tad and try a toes-forward approach again.

I'm still getting accustomed to dropping into the hole with a wider stance, so I will put paused squats in heavy rotation over the next few weeks. The plan's to rotate paused squats, beltless squats, reverse-band squats, and box squats with a pretty regular frequency. I tried out some box squats to help fix some of the elbow-flare that's happening at the bottom of my back squats, and that felt pretty good--I was able to make 265 awfully difficult, which was my goal. Right now, the goal is just to use variations that help me focus on bottom position. I'll probably also rotate in some longer-eccentric work, first with the reverse bands, and later with the other variations. I don't have a plan as far as total volume goes, but the frequency will be high. Ideally, I'll squat 4-5 times per week, but the individual sessions won't be too taxing. I want to stick with the auxiliary work that I've already been doing for a while and continue to address mobility.

So, overall, I feel like this has taken me one big step back from where I was coming off of the meet, but that ultimately might be a good thing, because now I can retrace my steps without feeling so self-conscious about it.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:25 pm

How much have you been sitting back with your squats?

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
so I'll take my stance in just a tad and try a toes-forward approach again.

Stay away from the light!!!

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:22 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
How much have you been sitting back with your squats?

Not much--I'm breaking slightly faster at the hips versus the knees, but I'm still sitting down on my squats.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:27 pm

Today:

Paused Beltless Squats w/ reverse, mini-bands, up to 315x1, followed by 135x20x2.

Just really focusing on positioning and good technique on these; I had a hard time holding abduction and keeping my hips engaged on 315, so I stopped there. Messed around with eccentric speeds on 135 and really just tried to stay as upright as possible. My training moving forward will be high-ish frequency, high-or-low intensity, and very moderate volume.

Also, squat goals for the year. Sans wraps and WITH the new technical adjustments, I want:

405 by June 16th.

425 (+5 lb. PR) by Sept. 16th.

440 (+20 lb. PR) by Dec. 16th. I'm going to work like hell to make these happen.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Paused Bench Press (w/ narrower grip)
235x10x5

Machine Rows, three sets

Some more lat stuff

Face Pulls, two sets

Notes: Narrower grip's coming along.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Repped for consistency. Holy shit every rep looked exactly the same. Good stuff Kyle

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:32 pm

SSchwartsenator wrote:
Repped for consistency. Holy shit every rep looked exactly the same. Good stuff Kyle

Thanks Sam. This grip is narrower than I usually use, so it actually feels less consistent to me than my comp grip, but I still make technique a priority during my bench sessions. I think just accumulating a ton of work over a long period of time has helped make me more efficient. If you can make consistency, bar-speed, and quality reps a priority on bench in training, you can make good progress, even at an intermediate-level.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:44 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
If you can make consistency, bar-speed, and quality reps a priority on bench in training, you can make good progress, even at an intermediate-level.

This for daaaayz. It is not only limited to bench either; it applies well to squats, deads, and just about anything else. Repped keo

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   

Back to top Go down

Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next