Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII

Go down 
+7
Quadfather
Andy Awad
KevinAlvy
Nathan Poage
David Petersen
Chris Anderson
Keosawa
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
AuthorMessage
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Did you ever find out if you need an unwrapped total for RUM? Assuming you are still planning on going that route, of course.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Did you ever find out if you need an unwrapped total for RUM? Assuming you are still planning on going that route, of course.

Yeah, I was told I could pick my day.

Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 MANZIEL-MONEY
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 6:07 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
I hope you make me eat my words, but idk about going for 500 Tuesday unless you need it psychologically

Switching my wraps has helped a lot with the crushing defeat I felt, so I don't feel a psychological NEED anymore. Would you say I just take up to an opener, then? In the past I've worked up heavier--sometimes it goes great, but I've also had great squats at meets where I haven't done that. I didn't do any heavy wrapped squatting before RUM and it was fine.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 6:12 pm

After thinking about it further, I certainly don't need it physically, and I know I'm capable of squatting it. Making it would just confirm that, but missing it (again) would be disastrous. I think I'm better off just taking 465 and calling it a day.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 9:41 pm

Keosawa wrote:
After thinking about it further, I certainly don't need it physically, and I know I'm capable of squatting it. Making it would just confirm that, but missing it (again) would be disastrous. I think I'm better off just taking 465 and calling it a day.

I am in total agreement here. If you went for 500ish again it would end up being your 4th time in like two weeks this Saturday. Much better with a easy to smooth 455 - 475 than a challenging to potential failure @500 at this point.

Good luck at your meet on Sat
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 10:11 pm

Yeah, I agree with all of that and I'm thinking that's the right call. And thanks mate--this is a real low-pressure situation so I'm really not too worried about it. I think I'll do okay but who the heck knows.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 11:33 am

Weighed in this morning at 147.5, so I overshot it by just over a pound, but it was a pretty reasonable cut and I only had to drop about ten pounds in total. I'll work towards getting my weight back up to ~161 before the end of the night, and compete in the high 150s on the next day. Openers were set at 457-308-540 for tomorrow (all triples done in training, with the bench adjusted up by 3 lbs. and the squat adjusted down by 13) and I'll take it slow from there.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 11:38 am

KevinAlvy wrote:
Keosawa wrote:

I am in total agreement here. If you went for 500ish again it would end up being your 4th time in like two weeks this Saturday. Much better with a easy to smooth 455 - 475 than a challenging to potential failure @500 at this point.

Good luck at your meet on Sat

I actually felt pretty lousy earlier this week, so I just opted not to do the meet-week session. I figured I'd listen to my body and rest instead, so I napped. I'm thinking it'll be the right call and that any atrophying I've acquired from not squatting or benching in a week will be offset by the recovery time.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 1:53 pm

is reckless Kyle actually ded?
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 2:59 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
is reckless Kyle actually ded?
Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Flat,550x550,075,f
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 4:03 pm

^ That. But I'm trying to go as many days without a re-occurrence as possible.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 8:21 pm

I guess as long as "stronger"
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 7:33 am

KevinAlvy wrote:
I guess as long as "stronger"

strong(her)
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 10:57 pm

vid pls?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 5:35 pm

I’ll cover everything related to this weekend as succinctly as I can; for those that don’t know, I decided about a month ago that I’d go compete in the SPF Rick Hussey Tribute meet at Shawn Frankl’s new Big Iron gym in Sioux City, IA. The short of it is that I had a so-so meet but came away from it much better schooled in how I need to train in the future.

I worked most of meet week, so water-loading was a bit of a tricky exercise, but ultimately I made weight without any issues. I only had to cut nine or ten pounds for this meet, as my bodyweight was typically in the high 150s for training leading up to the competition. That involved just a 24-hour fast, plus a couple sessions in the sauna. I weighed in at 9am at 147.5; despite overshooting the class slightly, I handled the cut well, and the recomp was also pretty easy. I had a better appetite from the get-go when compared with RUM, and though I didn’t bring my weight up as high—I got to around 161 lbs. before bed—I felt pretty good and didn’t really have much in the way of post-weigh in fatigue. My stomach was a little upset the next day, and so I hardly ate anything on meet day, but otherwise I felt fine and recovered well.

The meet itself was held in a bar next to the gym, and it was a pretty cool, pretty relaxed affair. The competition consisted mostly of Big Iron lifters, and there must have been 30-40 competing total. For once, I was one of the few raw lifters, which was a new experience.
We actually didn’t have our flight start until noon, so we spent plenty of time just hanging around and getting comfortable. When I did start warming up for squats, I felt good and was producing good bar-speed. I worked up to 325 for a triple without wraps, then threw on a light wrap for 415. That moved well, and I felt very good about my squats for the day.

The planned opener was 457, and I wasn’t going to be able to squat with their safety cables—I know from experience that I’d end up hitting them—so I opted to just walk my squats out and clear them out. 457 went OK; it was a smooth lift, but I dipped a bit on one side and was surprised it wasn’t easier. I knew I couldn’t afford to miss a second, so I went conservative with 490, the second I took at RUM.

For the second, we focused on wrapping my knees tighter—I was having someone else do it, which saved me a ton of energy, but it was also a new experience, so I was trying to adjust to it on the fly. I held position much better on 490 but got hung up right at my sticking point. My speed out of the hole and through lockout was excellent, but I was worried about that pronounced point of slowdown—after that, I went conservative again, calling for a 507 third. With that lift, I knew I’d have a good total under my belt.

For 507, we got our tightest wrap, and I felt the most confident about this one—I really committed myself to getting it. I got under the bar and unracked it strong, but the walkout was shaky and rushed. I had my feet set forward and couldn’t angle them out, and I took my squat down too slow—that’s the story of my lifting life. I got stuck at my sticking point and really didn’t have a chance. I felt much, much stronger than when I did this in training, so there’s really no excuse here, except that a.) my squat training needs to be better going into meets and b.) I need to execute better on third attempts. For whatever reason, “b” would become a running theme for the day.

After the squats, I felt happy just to have survived with a very mediocre 490—at least I could finish with a respectable total. I felt more confident about my bench and deadlift anyway, and my pec was feeling close to 100%. My bench warm-ups went fine—my bar-speed wasn’t bad, but it also wasn’t CLEARLY better than it had been in training. I felt fresh and pretty strong, but I also felt like I was two weeks removed from my bench training, and I could tell my strength was starting to atrophy. I figured I’d be in line for a good bench, but not a fantastic one.

My opener at 308 moved with pretty good speed—I think I hit it faster than 305 moved in training, and so that was encouraging. I stuck with my plan and went with 325 for the second for a small meet PR, and that ended up being my best lift of the meet; after I got it moving off my chest, it flew up pretty well, and I at least had that little meet PR in the bag. Thinking I’d be conservative, I went 330 for the third, especially since my pec was starting to talk to me. Everything went fine on the lift, but I touched a bit high and got buried by it just off my chest. Once again, I just didn’t perform on a third attempt, and it was again a case of mediocre training leading to mediocre results. While at RUM I felt great, here I felt good-but-not-great and it was making the difference.

At this point, I was thinking about possibly shutting it down after my deadlift opener, but then I started warming up and was shocked—SHOCKED—at how strong and fast my deadlift felt. Surprise, surprise—the one lift of the three that I did a semi-adequate job of training for the last few weeks felt properly peaked. My deadlift training decisions also left a lot to be desired, but I clearly felt the best on this lift. All my warm-ups, from 315 to 365 to 405 to 455 to 495, moved amazingly well. I hadn’t felt this bar-speed in a long time.

My planned opener was 540, something I had done for a triple a month ago, but my confidence on deadlifting had since then been shattered by overreaching and bad training sessions. I crushed the opener, to my own surprise. Figuring I’d secure a decent total before I attempted to tie or break my RUM total, I called for 573 on my second. I figured I took 562 for my deadlift at RUM, and this would represent a modest improvement from that event. 573 also moved great, but my grip was starting to be an issue, and I was worried the grip would hold my back for my third. 590 had to be the call—it would have been a 1405 total—and so I committed myself to getting it. This was the most “into” the meet I had been the entire day, and I thought for sure I was going to make it happen, but I got forward on it just past my knees and was thisclose but couldn’t seal the deal. Even though I missed 590, I knew I was more than capable of hitting it, but I need to a.) finally make the lockout an emphasis in my performance of this lift and b.) make sure my grip’s on point. My grip felt fine for 590, but I also spent so much time and attention setting my hands right that I got lazy pulling back as I got past my knees and gave up positioning in the process.

So, for the day I went six-for-nine for a 1388-lb. total; that was definitely not what I wanted, and so I’d classify it as a very so-so day. Not awful, but not great. I felt a bit better than 1388 but just didn’t hit any of my tough lifts. The results weren’t surprising: my squat definitely needs work, my bench is steadily improving (but aggressive training coupled with a bit of bad luck had my benching at an inopportune time), and my deadlift is definitely back on track. In all my training, I just need to be more intelligent and more disciplined. I learned this a few weeks ago, and the meet reinforced it. Had I gotten my thirds—which I was capable of—and finished with 1427 or whatever, I might not have had that hammered home, so in some way the mediocre meet was the best thing for me. I know that if I just do the right things in preparation, I can come in much stronger, but those choices, for RUM, will have to begin right now.

Coming off of the meet, here are the takeaways:

I need to be held accountable for sticking to a longer-term plan. That means that when I say I’m training using undulating phases, my training needs to reflect that. Training can be intuitive, but it can’t be ad libbed. I’m planning on running one long block for all of my lifts for RUM—it’s worked well for my deadlift and I think my squat and bench both would benefit from a longer, lighter-intensity accumulation phase (especially my squat). No more impromptu intense phases without a prep phase—I need to be disciplined!

Going off of that, accountability is going to be pursued using a few different fronts. First, I’m going to be producing weekly training outlines at the start of each week—these outlines give a baseline for all the training particulars, as well as the goals for the week. They’re clearly outlined and easy to follow. I will do these in advance, to ensure that I have to stick to them.

Second, I’m putting these outlines in the hands of training partners who will strongly encourage me to adhere to them. I’m going to allow others to help keep me on track. And if I do have to deviate from these plans, it’ll be for a legitimate reason, i.e. injury. But I’m hoping that appropriate training will cut down on those, too.

I’m going to get back to eating a more performance-conscious diet. I’ve been “dieting” for a while now and I’ve inadvertently killed off my appetite. This means a return to (gasp!) vegetables, and less frequent fasting and indulging.

I’m also going to make more of an effort to film more, make more videos, and log more regularly. I think accountability will also be determined through keeping a public profile, so that’s what I want to commit myself to.

As far as training-related changes go, I don’t have too much to add. The answers to my problems are pretty straightforward and I feel confident in my approach moving forward. Simple progression, quality reps, staying healthy, keeping disciplined, and training in appropriate phases are the key concerns. At this point, I feel like the answers are clear, and my performance at RUM will directly reflect whether or not I actually apply them. At the end of the day, the numbers won’t lie.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 pm

Week one (9/29-10/05)

1.5” Deficit Deadlift
275x8x3

Notes: This was just my first session back from the meet, performed on a Monday. The plan was to deadlift the day after the competition, but between driving home from the meet and working that afternoon—and into the night—I really just felt like getting to bed instead of cutting into my sleep to train would be best. I instead trained on Monday and felt OK coming into the session. Once I touched a weight though, my entire back immediately locked up in a fit of soreness; after the third set, I could tell I was tightening up, and even bending over to reach the bar was a struggle.

At that point, I packed it in and called it a day. I didn’t do the last two sets, or the Dimels, but I’ll leave that for another time as I allow myself to recover. This session was supposed to be a really low exertion recovery day with ~50%, but I suppose I wasn’t quite ready for it yet.

Today, I’ll go in to do some of my light benching and squatting. The squatting might also be cut short, but the benching—which will be floor pressing for the foreseeable future as my pec heals—will be easy enough. Again, everything’s very low in exertion, but I’d like to a.) accumulate a lot of quality reps, b.) keep an extremely low pain threshold for my pec, and c.) start working on my face pulls again for antagonist muscle development as I work with this unhappy pec.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2014 11:19 am

Floor Press, pinkies on rings
185x10x4

Double-Paused Beltless Squat
145x10x6

Face Pulls
60x25x5

Notes: This was my first session back pressing and squatting, and the goal for each of those lifts is as follows: ~80 NBL for my press, and ~120 NBL for my squat. I kept the intensity extremely low and treated these as an active recovery session. I actually pushed my floor press more than my squat, because even though I’m coming back from a pec injury, I felt more capable physically of benching.

For the floor press, the goal was just to “feel out” my strength level and use this as a diagnostic session. I determined that I can floor press 185 pain-free with this narrower grip, and so on Friday, I will increase the intensity slightly as I tip-toe into this training cycle. I complimented these with five sets of face pulls, which I will be performing a second time this week.

For my squat, the plan was to perform the movement variation first this month. The bar-speed on these was fine, but my legs were very heavy and still very fatigued from the meet. I used this as a general conditioning and active recovery day, focusing more on technique and rep accumulation than in producing a desired training effect. Overall, a very good first day back.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 7:05 pm

Gotta make up for the last week, so I'll log everything together:

BENCH WORK -

Floor Press, pinkies on rings
205x10x4

Floor Press, index finger on rings
225x10x6

Bent-Over Rows
195x10x3, 205x10x3

Face Pulls
70x25x5x2

SQUAT WORK -

Double-Paused Beltless Squats
235x10x4

Squats
275x10x6

DEADLIFT WORK -

Paused Deadlifts
315x8x5

2" Deficit Deadlifts
335x8x5

Dimels
145x30x2x2

Notes: Very good second week of training. I'll keep it to crib notes:

1.) Volume is up on all the main movements. I'll finish this week with 100-130 NBL on squat, 100 NBL on bench, and 80 NBL on deadlift. I hit my volume goal for deadlift and bench and will finish short of the 150-NBL goal on squat, but I'm just going to go at the pace that my body allows. Even equaling last week's 100 NBL at a much higher overall intensity would be a nice improvement.

2.) My work capacity is slowly improving. My legs still are adjusting to all the squat volume, but they're getting better. My deadlift feels recovered from the meet and is moving well. Paused deadlifts were fantastic and the deficits felt good.

3.) My pec's constantly getting better. I decided to bring my grip out for my last floor press session and I had no pain whatsoever. I will evaluate it tomorrow and decide if I want to transition to a bench press session next week. I'm sure my strength off my chest will take a bit of a hit, but I feel stronger with each session and I won't risk re-injury if I'm not confident. I think the progression will involve one week of two- and one-board bench pressing, and that might happen as soon as last week.

Overall, a nice improvement over week one. Tomorrow I pause-deadlift ~345x8x5, do my Dimels, and possibly do some lighter double-paused squatting if I feel capable. Two-for-two on successful training weeks.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 7:48 pm

When is cell tech
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:55 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
When is cell tech

Depends upon when they reschedule RUM for, but not until mid-December at the very earliest.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 10:24 am

Time to get loggy updated! I guess I should just resign myself to the fact that my log will be a once-a-week thing and post updates on a Friday or something.

Currently I'm at the end of the fourth week of my base accumulation phase; I'll be running one more of these phases, albeit at a slightly lower total volume, after a one-week squat/deadlift deload. The bench press will continue to progress forward as I feel more recovered from my pec issue.

Cribs on how it's gone:

Squat: Progression from 260x10 to 320x10 over four weeks; this week, I'm doing 320 for ten total sets of ten. My squat strength feels much improved over the course of this phase, and my plan is still to run another three- to four-week accumulation phase, albeit with volume likely in the 80-100 bar-lift range. That will take me into December. If I had to guess, I would say that just by feel, my raw squat max has gone up ~20 lbs. this cycle, which speaks more to how weak I was initially than how strong I am now.

Bench press: Pec's taken longer to heal than I had hoped, but I've been training pain-free for over a week now, and there's hardly anything there anymore. I can still sense it at moments when I move the wrong way or flex it, so it needs more time, but I'm getting closer. There's a possibility I'll try some full-range-of-motion benching next week.

My strength itself is OK. I did 245 for some sets of ten a few days ago off a 1.5 board and that felt alright. I can tell my strength off my chest will atrophy a bit, but I'm in no worse shape than I was a few weeks out from my last meet. I will need a good three to four weeks of bench pressing to get back in the groove again, but I'm thinking that if I continue to make good decisions, I'll be in pretty good shape by December. Right now the goal is just to get myself in shape to train my bench.

Deadlift: Like the squat, this also has gone way up. I finished this week with 405x8x5 on the 2" deficit deadlift, and we had only gotten to 405 for sets of five last cycle. I had done one set of ten that cycle, too, and it was pretty tough, but these were easy and I had reps left on all of them. I have paused deadlifts on Sunday but 375x8x5 was easy, so I'm guessing I will end up at 405 again. That's also a big jump over last cycle, as I was doing 420 for sets of 3.

Overall, first training cycle performance is like a 9 out of 10. I should have iced my pec a bit more, I pushed the floor-press progression one step too high (the 245 session was a little tougher than it should be at this point), and I should have started working my weight down a week or two earlier. But otherwise I did most everything correctly and had a really successful training cycle.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 6:17 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII
Page 13 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13