Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII

Go down 
+7
Quadfather
Andy Awad
KevinAlvy
Nathan Poage
David Petersen
Chris Anderson
Keosawa
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage

Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 12:36 am

It's not a close-grip bench press until your hands are crossed. Remember these wise words the next time you decide to fuck up a perfectly good exercise.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 12:21 pm

Paul, what do you think about working on my close grip incline 15RM?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 3:49 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Paul, what do you think about working on my close grip incline 15RM?

I think you're all probably fucked if you don't get on that ASAP. Seriously, how do you look at yourself in the mirror and call yourself a man?

Have I ever told you about that time I talked about masculinity on facebook?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 6:07 am

Just watched your video with the banded hip thrusts. You said it hits your hamstrings primarily and your hips secondarily. You also wondered if you should pause at the top and get full extension. I played around with these trying to hit my glutes and found that a very controlled tempo with a good pause at the top hits the glutes the best. Otherwise it destroy my hamstrings and they are likely to cramp. The heavier the weight the more it used my hamstrings. The most I did was 545 with my back on a block for several reps and I could have kept adding plates but it seemed pointless. All of this is pretty puzzling to me. Do you think a number like that is in line with my squat & DL strength?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 10:50 am

Will wrote:
Just watched your video with the banded hip thrusts. You said it hits your hamstrings primarily and your hips secondarily. You also wondered if you should pause at the top and get full extension. I played around with these trying to hit my glutes and found that a very controlled tempo with a good pause at the top hits the glutes the best. Otherwise it destroy my hamstrings and they are likely to cramp. The heavier the weight the more it used my hamstrings. The most I did was 545 with my back on a block for several reps and I could have kept adding plates but it seemed pointless. All of this is pretty puzzling to me. Do you think a number like that is in line with my squat & DL strength?

Interesting--I felt the same way when I was doing them. It was suggested to me that I use a higher block (or even just a bench) for my back and do them with my feet further out. That might help; for whatever reason, I felt like I could not achieve full extension on them. And if you're doing 545, the movement's probably not going to carry over at all to your squat and deadlift. My deadlift right now is in the gutter, and I just messed around with barbell hip thrusts last week and did an easy PR on them with 455x5. In other words, there is no correlation whatsoever, at least for me, between my pull and my hip thrust. The banded stuff will help IF I can figure out how to load it onto my glutes more.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 5:23 pm

Maybe take the plate out from under your feet? I think the higher your feet are the more hamstring activation. I also tried dorsiflexing my feet and that seemed to use more hamstrings IIRC maybe a little plantar flexion would help? There was something I didn't like about a wider stance but I can't remember what. I'm gonna try this later and see because I'm genuinely curious how the different permutations feel.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Will wrote:
Maybe take the plate out from under your feet? I think the higher your feet are the more hamstring activation. I also tried dorsiflexing my feet and that seemed to use more hamstrings IIRC maybe a little plantar flexion would help? There was something I didn't like about a wider stance but I can't remember what. I'm gonna try this later and see because I'm genuinely curious how the different permutations feel.

Yeah--I'm definitely going to to bringing the box up a few inches and removing the plate.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 6:12 pm

From Tuesday:

Reverse-Band Low Box Squats (beltless)
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x3
335x3
335x3
225x3x5

Notes: Focused on pausing--but not relaxing--on the box and keeping an upright position the whole time. Keeping my torso level is really tough. Basically, I made these as tough as possible. This was my third squat session for the week, and I'll do one more before the end of the week--that'll probably just be a regular back squat day up to a moderate single, followed by some supplemental work (possibly just paused back squatting with a light load).
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 6:16 pm

From yesterday:

Deadlifts off 1.5" deficit
325x8x5

Banded Hip Thrusts (two averages + two minis), four sets, 30-22 reps apiece

Standing Banded Ab Pulldowns, four sets (double minis)

Side Bends, 75x15x3

Notes: If you saw the video, you'll know that I've lost a lot on my deadlift and these were heavy. My back flared up pretty good during the set, and I felt like I had no speed whatsoever off the floor. The lockout hasn't really suffered, surprisingly, but my speed off the floor has.

The good news is that I have been able to get my back in check very quickly, and I should be fine for pulling on Sunday. I haven't really treated this thing, so I will try icing it aggressively and using a NSAID for the next week to see how much it helps.

Also, it was nice to be back deadlifting. I don't know what I have in store for Sunday; we're going to see how I feel on Saturday and proceed from there. Tomorrow will be benching for me.
Back to top Go down
Josh Martin
Class IV
Class IV
Josh Martin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 11:28 pm

Thanks Kyle! I'm content with the numbers but of course I want to keep reaching for more. As far as Facebook, I still don't have it all though I should probably reactivate it since it seems there is a lot of communication via the lifting page.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 5:06 am

Maybe this is just one of my superstitions but there's some good evidence showing that NSAIDs prevent connective tissue repair. Not that I've really looked into it much. And I'm not a scientist either.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 12:43 pm

Will wrote:
Maybe this is just one of my superstitions but there's some good evidence showing that NSAIDs prevent connective tissue repair. Not that I've really looked into it much. And I'm not a scientist either.

I've heard something like that too. I haven't taken one in a long time (and that's one reason why), but I'm desperate to get back on track, and it seems to be helping. So, fuck it.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 12:44 pm

Josh Martin wrote:
Thanks Kyle! I'm content with the numbers but of course I want to keep reaching for more. As far as Facebook, I still don't have it all though I should probably reactivate it since it seems there is a lot of communication via the lifting page.

I was just asking because we're doing a UFC night in late April and I wanted to invite you, but I'll keep you posted on here.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Will wrote:

Kyle Keough wrote:
I've heard something like that too. I haven't taken one in a long time (and that's one reason why), but I'm desperate to get back on track, and it seems to be helping. So, fuck it.

I'm just basing this off of my general knowledge as a physiology major, but I think this comes from the fact that inflammation is a necessary step in the healing process. Too much of it and shit gets fucked up, too little and repair can't really take place. I've even seen some literature that suggests that a widespread state of constant (very very low) inflammation can be extremely anabolic, given that the tissues are then constantly being repaired and built up.

That being said, if you're injured, you probably have too much inflammation and the benefit of reducing/eliminating that inflammation is most likely going to outweigh anything else.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Will wrote:

Kyle Keough wrote:

I'm just basing this off of my general knowledge as a physiology major, but I think this comes from the fact that inflammation is a necessary step in the healing process. Too much of it and shit gets fucked up, too little and repair can't really take place. I've even seen some literature that suggests that a widespread state of constant (very very low) inflammation can be extremely anabolic, given that the tissues are then constantly being repaired and built up.

That being said, if you're injured, you probably have too much inflammation and the benefit of reducing/eliminating that inflammation is most likely going to outweigh anything else.

I'm clearly less qualified than Chris on this one, but the little I do know/have heard supports what he says. I've benefited from using NSAIDs in high(ish) dosages consistently for a short period of a few days to a week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 4:52 pm

This reminds me of the crazy prolotherapy threads I've come across on dat's forum -- people taking their own blood, or using a dextrose solution, HGH, testosterone and doing intraarticular injections -- or just taking a dry needle and poking holes into their injured connective tissue!
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 1:26 pm

Will wrote:
This reminds me of the crazy prolotherapy threads I've come across on dat's forum -- people taking their own blood, or using a dextrose solution, HGH, testosterone and doing intraarticular injections -- or just taking a dry needle and poking holes into their injured connective tissue!

wat
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 1:46 pm

Paused Bench Press w/ slingshot
282x8x3
282x10

Standing Ab Crunches, 4-5 sets

Rear Delt Flys, three sets

Notes: Possibly the easiest the bench has felt while training at the Oly room, including the PR days. Stuck with the protocol for the most part, but I bumped up the last set by two reps because everything before it was pretty easy.

I'm pretty sure the narrower-grip benching is having a pretty direct transfer to my lockout, because locking everything out feels so smooth and effortless. I noticed this a while back benching 359 on the slingshot, but it's remained the case here.

The slingshot work also really seems to be helping. Maybe I needed some sort of supra-max loading reintroduced into my training. A talked to a bencher named Adrian Larsen (a friend of Janis's) about my bench leading into this cycle and he gave me some feedback that is proving very helpful.

So, I'll stay the course for the next couple of weeks (the progression on bench is only going to be 282-297-314 for 8-5-2, but I might have to tweak those numbers a bit if every day ends up like this), and then I'll run another high-intensity block with some supra-max loading.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 1:51 pm

Datbtrue.uk.co is a website with info on research peptides (if u were not aware) and most of the people are verycomfortable with sticking needles into their bodies. There's a whole section on cartilage and connective tissue repair where people are experimenting on themselves with self-peolotherapy which (if u were not aware) is a method of provoking an inflammatory response with irritants. The autologous blood injections are basically a poor man's platlet rich plasma therapy. Sorry to derail your log seemed related.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Will wrote:
Datbtrue.uk.co is a website with info on research peptides (if u were not aware) and most of the people are verycomfortable with sticking needles into their bodies. There's a whole section on cartilage and connective tissue repair where people are experimenting on themselves with self-peolotherapy which (if u were not aware) is a method of provoking an inflammatory response with irritants. The autologous blood injections are basically a poor man's platlet rich plasma therapy. Sorry to derail your log seemed related.

lol, no worries--thank you for awaring me on this. Some pretty bizarre stuff.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Squats

235x1
285x1
325x1
350x1

Notes: I continue to slowly bring up the weight on these squat singles; this went better than last week, I think, when I squatted 335. Obviously, I'm still performing these at a pretty low level, but I will make fast progress. I was able to stay upright on 350, which I'm happy about. Even though I'm squatting 70 lbs. below my max for a hard single, every step in the rebuild is going to be a post-overhaul PR, so that's exciting.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 11:27 pm

bench date tomorrow?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Back.

Paused benching from today:

Paused Bench Press
220x1
242x1
264x1
286x1
308x1
330x1 (PR; missed second)
341x0 (missed it a few inches off my chest; close, but no cigar)

Notes: Bench is way up and I probably have a fighting chance at 340ish right now. I've changed some aspects of my training after the last meet and it has all clicked. On top of that, I kept all my gains from smolov. So, another cycle starts up on Monday, with the same protocol as before.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 3:48 pm

A short timeline of my bench press, for anyone who's interested:

Spring 2006. First time benching in a gym. Worked up to 115 lbs. on my first session.
Pre-June 2009. Best bench press in training is 285 leading to my first meet.
June 2009. Fail a 275-lb. opener in my first meet at 148. Training bodyweight's in the high 150s.
April 2010. Made a 300-lb. paused bench at 171 lbs. bodyweight at an intramural meet.
October 2010. Finished with a 286-lb. third attempt at a bodyweight of 159 lbs. at a NASA meet.
April 2011. 275-lb. paused bench at 148 lbs. at a NASA meet.
July 2011. 281-lb. paused bench at a NASA meet.
August 2011. 315-lb. touch and go bench press in training.
October 2011. 286-lb. paused bench at a NASA meet.
April 2012. 292-lb. paused bench at a NASA meet.
July 2012. 286-lb. paused bench at a NASA meet (297 redlighted for uneven extension)
October 2012. First 300-lb. paused bench press since April of 2010, done in training at a high-150s bodyweight.
October 2012. 297-lb. paused bench at a NASA meet.
November 2012. 305-lb. paused bench in training.
January 2013. 310-lb. paused bench in training.
April 2013. 303-lb. paused bench at a NASA meet.
July 2013. 308-lb. paused bench at a UPA meet.
November 2013. 297-lb. paused bench at a UPA meet (308 redlighted twice)
January 2014. 315-lb. paused bench in training.
February 2014. 319-lb. paused bench at RUM.
April 2014. 330-lb. paused bench in training at 160ish bodyweight.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:09 am

Sumo Deadlifts off 3" blocks
(rep x set)
365x4x4
405x4x1
345x4x3

Banded Hip Thrusts (two heavy bands)
x22x4

Banded Standing Ab Crunches (one heavy band)
x20x5

Notes: Sumos were a variation on the deadlift I began after some back trouble put my conventional pull out of commission. So far, I've been able to train them effectively and make progress. The weight's are still very low and I've lost a lot on my deadlift, but I'm finally training without pain and healing up now, so the only place to go is up.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII   Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beyond 1400: Kyle's Road to RUM VIII
Page 3 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next