Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log

Go down 
+13
DDaddyKane
agleckler
Seth
badbackboi
LTomasiello
El Nel
Andy Awad
KevinAlvy
Nathan Poage
lowerpower25
rndchris
Keosawa
Quadfather
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 7:37 am

das nice
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 7:55 am

KevinAlvy wrote:
das nice

das it mane
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 3:56 pm

when the rapture occurs and god comes down and passes final judgement, he'll ask "what did you do to get into heaven" and kevin alvy will say

"das it mane"

and god will reply

"das nice"
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 11:04 pm

06/04/14

Squat (slightly narrower stance):
1x5 @ 145
1x3 @ 195
1x3 @ 235
1x2 @ 295
4x2 @ 315 <---wraps

Bench:
1x6 @ 135
1x5 @ 175
1x4 @ 205
4x2 @ 225

Squat (slightly narrower stance):
1x5 @ 135
1x5 @ 185
1x4 @ 225
4x4 @ 245

Band Pulldowns (Orange Band):
4x12

Comments:
Saw a lot of success this training session. I squatted a little narrower than I normally do, and it worked out surprisingly well. I also did some heavy doubles with wraps to get more accustomed to it. I got in a groove with my third set and really dug into the wraps. The faster the descent, the faster my lift is seems to be the trend right now. Finished off with some lighter work with the narrower stance to just really ingrain it into my head some more.

Bench was also very good. Huge focus was on not getting my ass up off the bench, which was a success. I have to keep mentally telling myself to not push UP, and then I don't have that problem. Also had three 6 second lifts. There was more grinding on that bench than Fieldhouse on a friday night.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 1:22 am

SSchwartsenator wrote:
Fieldhouse on a friday night.

i just threw up in my mouth
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 12:53 am

06/09/14

Squat:
1x5 @ 145
1x4 @ 175
4x3 @ 245

Bench:
1x7 @ 135
1x5 @ 175
2x2 @ 195
2x2 @ 210 <--- Paused
1x3 @ 210 <--- Paused

SSB:
1x5 @ 145
4x5 @ 185

Comments:
Didn't go super hardcore today, just trying to get back into the groove of things after 4 days of drill. Really hammered in that narrower squat stance and speeding up both the eccentric and concentric parts of my squat. Bench went okay, worked on some paused reps, and I will continue to do this for the next 4 weeks leading up to the competition. I don't really know what my paused 1RM stands at, and I don't plan on finding out until the meet, so that'll be interesting. Grinded out an 8 second lift on my last rep for bench today. I don't know if I should be proud of my grinding skills or not, but holy shit did that take forever.

Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 2:54 pm

06/14/14

Long story short: My annual training got moved from July 24-August 10 to June 15-30. This came super short notice as I was just told about it yesterday. I'm unsure of where my training is gonna go, but hopefully I can at least find somewhere to crank some reps out while I'm in Cali.

Second: I decided I REALLY need to clean up my diet. I'm sitting at ~205 and 17-18% bodyfat. That second number needs to be a lot lower. I'm not image self-conscious by any means, but my First Sergeant called me fat in one way or another AT LEAST a dozen times last weekend. He does have a point, I have gained weight, and not all of it is good wheyt. So starting after the meet mid July I'm gonna get serious about my diet, which I've never done before. I don't even know where to start. I guess I gotta start eating green stuff now, and apparently St. Patty's day cupcakes don't count...

Anyways, just fit a quick accessory day in:

(horrendous) Power Cleans:
2x5 @ 90
1x4 @ 140
1x3 @ 180
2x3 @ 160

Pendlay Rows:
4x9 @ 180

Lat Pulldowns:
1x10 @ 100
1x12 @ 130
3x10 @ 160

Band Tricep Pulldowns:
Orange Band 3x12

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 3:38 pm

SSchwartsenator wrote:

Second: I decided I REALLY need to clean up my diet. I'm sitting at ~205 and 17-18% bodyfat. That second number needs to be a lot lower. I'm not image self-conscious by any means, but my First Sergeant called me fat in one way or another AT LEAST a dozen times last weekend. He does have a point, I have gained weight, and not all of it is good wheyt. So starting after the meet mid July I'm gonna get serious about my diet, which I've never done before. I don't even know where to start. I guess I gotta start eating green stuff now, and apparently St. Patty's day cupcakes don't count...

Well, you can make serious body-comp changes in the span of a few months, so don't worry too much about it. It will be good though to start thinking more seriously about your diet, whether your goal is to lose weight or not--being aware of what you're fueling your body with can only have positive benefits. It was very hard for me to make these changes when I started because food is my only real vice and I really like sweets, soda, and fast food on the regular, but making small, incremental changes over time can help you deal with the change.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 10:19 pm

Keosawa wrote:
SSchwartsenator wrote:

Well, you can make serious body-comp changes in the span of a few months, so don't worry too much about it. It will be good though to start thinking more seriously about your diet, whether your goal is to lose weight or not--being aware of what you're fueling your body with can only have positive benefits. It was very hard for me to make these changes when I started because food is my only real vice and I really like sweets, soda, and fast food on the regular, but making small, incremental changes over time can help you deal with the change.

Yeah, I'm not super worried about it right this second, but I know it's something I'm gonna have to focus on soon. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. Fortunately I really don't have a lot of food vices, (aside from green tea, I love that shit) it's just a matter of focusing on WHAT I'm eating instead of just eating as much as I can. My 23 year bulk seems to be coming to a halt in the near future  Sad 
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 10:28 pm

06/11/14

Deadlift to knees:
1x5 @ 135
1x5 @ 225
2X4 @ 245
1X4 @ 265 (+doubled over black mini bands)
4x4 @ 245 (+doubled over black mini bands)

Bench:
1x5 @ 135
1x5 @ 145
2x4 @ 175
2x3 @ 185
2x2 @ 195
2x1 @ 210
2x2 @ 195
2x3 @ 185
1x4 @ 165
1x6 @ 155
1x8 @ 145
1x8 @ 135 Failed 9th rep

Comment:
Spent a LONG time at the gym today. Those banded deadlifts are HARD. It's kind of tough to measure though, I don't really know exactly how much I was pulling, but I'll just keep track of what bands I use.

Bench: From here on out till competition I'm doing competition pauses on EVERY rep. With that being said, today was BRUTAL. I failed my 9th rep out of 10 coming back down to 135. I really focused on keeping every rep looking identical today, no matter the weight. I think I did find some success with the amount of pause work I did. My doubles at 195 came up a lot faster and more consistent today than they did Monday.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 4:55 pm

06/12/14

Last workout at Magni for a few weeks. =(

Deadlift:
1x5 @ 155
1x4 @ 245
1x4 @ 285
2x3 @ 335

Squat:
1x5 @ 135
1x5 @ 185
1x5 @ 235
2x3 @ 285
1x2 @ 315
3x1 @ 315

Comments:

Decided to finish off my deadlift workout from the previous day which was NOT a good idea. I was completely shot. Speed was slow, and I didn't even get to my last sets. I was supposed to do doubles at 365 but that wasn't happening.

With that being said, I'm surprised at how well my squats went, since I was struggling to get 335 off the ground. I compiled a video of the FIRST time I decided to speed up my eccentric movement, and how it's progressed in a couple weeks. I'm seeing a lot of success with a slightly narrower stance and speeding up my squat overall. This was also my first session that I could squat with my REAL belt pain-free.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 10:04 pm

Are you sure that was the right shirt to wear when you were a.) deadlifting and b.) no longer squatting with your feet out at the rails?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 10:06 pm

But those squats look fantastic. You probably put 20-30 lbs. on your max just by changing your technique.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 1:23 am

Keosawa wrote:
Are you sure that was the right shirt to wear when you were a.) deadlifting and b.) no longer squatting with your feet out at the rails?

Louie Simmons would be dissapoint...
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Well I'm at my squad bay that I'm staying at the next two weeks. Walked over to the gym here (a whole 200 yards away) to go check it out. I get out at 6 every day... Gym closes at 5

Tl;dr: FUCK
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Just watched your squat vid, Sam. I agree with Kyle, your improvements look great. Real bummer about the gym, though. Is there anything at all you can do to keep active? In the past, I've experienced pretty decent maintenance by doing things like pushups, pullups, jumping squats and walking lunges a couple of days a week. Albeit that was before I seriously got into powerlifting, I am generally of the mindset that stimulating your muscles will at least keep them ready for when you can get back into training and make the transition back into the gym a little smoother.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 11:03 pm

06/18/14

Random circuit bullshit

10 pull-ups
10 clapping push-ups
25 jumping jacks
7 pull-ups
7 clapping push-ups
10 push-ups
25 jumping jacks
7 pull-ups
10 push-ups

2x 100 yard fireman carry with another marine on my back
7 pull-ups
10 push-ups

AMRAP of OHP an MRE box. 65 reps

Comments:
Like I said, we get released too late to use the gym so I kinda had to make do. Idk how much this is all doing, but it's SOMETHING. Finished all of that up in about 20 minutes.

Thanks andy, I think that's what makes these two weeks even worse. I was actually chipping away at my squat and making real progress, but I'll still have 2.5 weeks or so before the meet when I get back. I'm thinking about doing a max day when I get back to see where my lifts are at.

Tentative plan is:
week of July 1- HEAVY. Work in Doubles, maybe triples.
Week of July 7- volume work with ~70% of maxes tested the week prior
Week of July 14- light week/meet
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 11:11 pm

I guess you answered my question lol. Nice work making due. And I hear ya, that does make it especially shitty timing, and I would be really frustrated. Hopefully you'll still get some PRs at your meet man. To cope with your frustration, maybe think about how in the grand scheme of your lifting career, this is just a bump in the road. A year from now your going to be smashing the weights your going to PR when you get back.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 9:18 pm

06/17/14

Ladies and gentlemen... I MANAGED TO SQUAT

Got released a little early from class, so I ran to the gym. Felt amazing.

Squats:
1x5 @135
1x5 @185
1x4 @225
1x3 @275
1x2 @315
X1   @315
1x2 @285
1x4 @255
1x4 @245
1x4 @225

Shrugs:
1x10 @ 180
3x12 @ 250
1x25 @ 250

Comments:
Only managed to get a 50 minute workout in, but still felt nice.
Squats were bleh, just cause I was tired, and lifted in my nike running shoes. I don't really care though, I'll take it. I'm just striving for maintenance right now. I did shrugs just cause. Hopin I'll be able to fit more gym days in when I'm out here.

Last edited by SSchwartsenator on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 8:26 pm

6/19/14

Bench:
1x5 @ 95
1x5 @ 135
1x4 @ 175
1x4 @ 185
1x2 @ 205
4x3 @ 205 <--- first two reps TnG, last rep paused
1x5 @ 175

Band pulldowns w/ some black band:
5x10
1x12 b/w dips

deadlift:
1x5 @ 135
1x4 @ 225
2x3 @ 275
1x2 @ 325
X0 @ 375
1x3 @ 325

Cable flies:
1x10 @ 20lbs each
2x10 @ 30lbs each
1x7 @ 25lbs each

Comments:
Got off early again yussss. I'm starting to feel the adverse effects of not benching every other day. My bench volume definitely needs to stay up if I want my weight go stay up, which is a hard thing to accomplish out here. Again, I'm just gonna keep hitting as much as I can and strive for maintenance.

Deadlifts were okay. Just fucked around today. Kinda upset I couldn't get the 375. Got up about half up my shin and I just ditched it. Not worth getting hurt out here or being excessively sore the next day. Thinking about moving my hips down a hair, I'm starting almost at a pretty much stuff legged deadlift.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 1:01 am

repped for every workout you get while you're at training.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 9:54 pm

06/27/14

So I had to stop training because even while I wasn't sore the next day after working out, it affected my performance on the range. Being in a course to certify myself as a "Combat Marksmanship Coach", I couldn't afford to lose points on the range. Every little shake and twitch matters at 500 yards (ironically enough I did the worst at the 200 yard line. Got 3 head shots and 6 shots center mass in a tennis ball sized group at the 500 out of ten shots. Obamanotbad.jpg)

Squat:
1x7 @ 135
2x5 @ 185
1x4 @ 225
2x3 @ 255
1x5 @ 255
2x3 @ 255

Barbell Shrugs:
1x12 @ 135
2x10 @ 225

T bar rows:
1x10 @ 100
1x10 @ 145
1x10 @ 195
2x10 @ 145

Sitting shrugs:
1x12 @ 180
4x12 @ 270

Close grip cable pulls:
1x12 100
3x12 120

Comments:
My squat speed felt good, but again, I didn't have my oly shoes so flat footed feels off. I don't wanna critique anything until I'm back inthe gym Monday with my proper gear and well rested. I'll measure where I'm at then.

Everything else was just random bodybuilding stuff. Got the day off tomorrow so a bunch of us are going to the beach. Suns out, guns out.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 10:06 pm

06/30/14

Well, things really couldn't have gone any shittier today

Squat:
1x5 @ 135
1x5 @ 185
1x4 @ 235
1x3 @ 285

Bench:
1x6 @ 135
1x5 @ 165
1x4 @ 195
x1 @ 230
x0 @ 230
x0 @ 230

Deadlift:
1x4 @ 185
1x3 @ 245
1x3 @ 295
x1 @ 325
x1 @ 365
x0 @ 385
x0 @ 365
1x3 @ 315

Comments:
I was trying to work up to heavy singles to see where my lifts are at after my two and a half week break. I'm about 85% sure I re-broke my rib on my last rep of 285 squats. Did some sets of lighter weight, but decided to stop.

I grinded through a paused 230 bench.

Deadlifted 365 slow as shit and couldnt get 385 off the ground.

Don't know what else to say. Feels really discouraging with a meet less than three weeks away.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 12:27 pm

Success, for this meet, might just come down to getting in some attempts and absorbing your first big meet experience. Most people get anxious and make bad decisions on their first meets--if you're coming into this one in terrible shape, there isn't going to be much pressure on you to hit big PRs. If you're in really rough shape, you can always take token squats and deadlifts and do your best on the bench, or even ask Bill to switch over to bench-only.

Don't stress about it. You'll get your first meet in the books, even if you're not ready to hit numbers. You can get all the shit people deal with when doing their first meet out of the way. You'll get a little experience, and it'll just make your second meet--which might end up being your first REAL meet performance--a lot easier. Just remember that the next one is always only a few months away, and you don't have to do everything at this one.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Keosawa wrote:
Success, for this meet, might just come down to getting in some attempts and absorbing your first big meet experience. Most people get anxious and make bad decisions on their first meets--if you're coming into this one in terrible shape, there isn't going to be much pressure on you to hit big PRs. If you're in really rough shape, you can always take token squats and deadlifts and do your best on the bench, or even ask Bill to switch over to bench-only.

Don't stress about it. You'll get your first meet in the books, even if you're not ready to hit numbers. You can get all the shit people deal with when doing their first meet out of the way. You'll get a little experience, and it'll just make your second meet--which might end up being your first REAL meet performance--a lot easier. Just remember that the next one is always only a few months away, and you don't have to do everything at this one.

I think I'm just letting it affect me more than I should. It feels like the past few months of training were for nothing if I can't deliver when I'm supposed to. I cooled down today and definitely thought more rationally. Shit happens I guess. It looks like I'll be squatting beltless, and I'm hammering paused benches to see what I can do. As for my deadlift, fuck if I know, it's too late at this point. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm seriously considering sumo training post-meet. Maybe even just changing it up will give me some new outlooks on deadlifting. Worst case scenario I hate it and just switch back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log
Page 8 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next