Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log

Go down 
+13
DDaddyKane
agleckler
Seth
badbackboi
LTomasiello
El Nel
Andy Awad
KevinAlvy
Nathan Poage
lowerpower25
rndchris
Keosawa
Quadfather
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 9:40 pm

07/01/14

Paused Bench:
1x7 @ 135
1x4 @ 155
1x4 @ 175
5x2 @ 200 (no grinding)

Slingshot bench:
1x4 @ 185
2x3 @ 225
2x2 @ 225

Band Pulldowns:
2x12 w/ orange band
2x10 w/ orange band+red mini-band
2x12 w/ orange band

Dumbbell Flies:
1x10 w/ 30's
3x10 w/ 35's
2x10 w/ 30's

Tricep pulldowns w/ straight bar:
1x10 @ 50
2x10 @ 60
1x10 @ 50

Comments:
Cooled down after yesterday, had a much better day today. So I'm positive my rib is broken again. It royally sucks because I was already past the 6-10 week window it supposedly takes to heal. The most frustrating part is that I was progressing so well on my squats in weight, speed, explosiveness, EVERYTHING.

Bench went super smooth. Concentrated on the pauses and exploding. No grinding today on any rep, which is good for me. 200 pounds isn't any crazy weight, but it's a start. I also think I'm too hard on myself because everything up till now has been touch and go, and I keep comparing myself to those numbers when I shouldn't be. I hit 230 (for a grinder) yesterday, and I'm hoping that can be my opener come meet time.

Other than the strict pause benches, the accessory work went well. Slingshot was meh, I'll attribute that to just being tired. I couldn't get in a groove and hit the right spot on my chest so I didn't do too much slingshot work.

Last edited by SSchwartsenator on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 11:53 pm

Dude, way to come back and have a good workout today.

You thinking about sumo because your pulling struggled after not being at it for several weeks or because you think it will be easier on your rib?
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 11:59 pm

Andy Awad wrote:

You thinking about sumo because your pulling struggled after not being at it for several weeks or because you think it will be easier on your rib?

My pull has just been unreasonably stubborn. I have not been able to find anything to make it click. I've tried some form tweaks, volume work, deficit work, block work, and anything in between. I can't peg what's working and what isn't. My max went up 20 pounds, as I was able to finally hit four plates a few weeks ago, but it's still incredibly slow.

I'm thinking sumo just for the sake of something different. I haven't tried to measure out the length of my femurs, or torso, or whatever weird formulas there are to see if I'm even built for it. I'm hoping by just switching it up I'll either A) see improvements and possibly stick with it, or B) just take a hiatus from conventional and hoping when I come back to it something will click that hadn't before.
Back to top Go down
badbackboi
Class II
Class II
badbackboi

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Whether it be conventional or sumo have you tried a brutally simple linear progression going up 10lbs a week doing the same regime of work only difference is it's more intense each time? A lot of people recommend doing something like that until it becomes unsustainable. Seems like the most guaranteed way to make gains (less of a gamble I mean) until it stops working. When I try to pull the organism in too many directions I wind up going nowhere. Seems like a lot of complicated programs look like that on paper. Sorry about your rib man that's gotta be really shitty.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 2:36 pm

Dubya wrote:
Sorry about your rib man that's gotta be really shitty.

Yeahhh it looks like it might be something I'm more prone to now that it's happened twice. Guess I have to take even MORE precautions now.

As far as deadlift progression, I did exactly what you're describing. When I was starting out I would add 10lbs every week until I couldn't do it anymore. I think something linear like that MIGHT work, but honestly at this point I just need a change of pace. My pull has been way too frustrating, so it'll be nice to get a different perspective on it
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 3:28 pm

The first time I benched 300 lbs. was in 2010, when I weighed 170. I lost a bunch of weight and had my bench drop down to 286. I lost more weight and had it drop to 276. Then I hit 282, 286, 292, 286, 298, and 303 in successive meets. I benched 300 in training after about two and a half years of trying to get back there, and it took me probably another six months after that before I did it in competition. In all that time, I must have tried ten different training cycles--I'd floor press for three months, close-grip bench for three months (this went very badly), do a lot of dumbbell pressing, train block style, train Westside style, train with heavy reverse bands, etc. I'd bench wide, rotate my grip, try narrow, rotate it again, go back to wide, etc.

My point is that the fact that you've found a few approaches that haven't worked just means that you're closer to the answer. I refuse to believe that someone your size is anywhere remotely close to being tapped out at a 405 deadlift. You've suffered through a good amount of bad luck, and you haven't found a training solution that has worked yet, but you're capable of much more on your deadlift. Maybe that comes from training sumo; maybe it doesn't. I understand the frustration, but at the same time, have faith that an answer exists, and if you put forth the effort, you will discover it.

Just get the rib healed--in the meantime, you can use what time you would have been deadlifting to research different training methods. Watch deadlifters with similar leverages as you lift; study their training and their technique and don't hesitate to reach out to people and ask questions. Use this as an opportunity to give yourself some options for the future--you have (quite literally) years' worth of training changes that you could make.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 3:34 pm

SSchwartsenator wrote:
Andy Awad wrote:

I've tried some form tweaks, volume work, deficit work, block work, and anything in between. I can't peg what's working and what isn't.

Not to harp, but this is partly the issue. Unless you've been pulling for years and years and years, these are a lot of changes to make in a short time-frame. Even if something doesn't seem to be working, it's best to stick with it for a span of a few months to confirm that fact. Learning about training is a matter of, as Will suggested, simplifying the protocol and limiting the variables. It's so hard to glean anything from multiple (big) changes. Though I know some of your changes have been necessitated by injury, in the future, it will help a lot to limit yourself to one simple change--and to see it through. Over time, you will accumulate "successful" changes and become more in tune with your needs as a lifter.

If you do switch to sumo, stick with it. Spend two or three months progressing very slowly and learning the technique. Opt for linear progression; start with a light weight and see how long you can sustain it. Start with a very traditional approach and only make changes when you feel like you've got a handle on what works--and what doesn't work--for you. Don't rush into new variables, because they'll only make it harder for you to figure your training out.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 6:54 pm

this is good advice kyle
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2014 1:13 am

Thanks Kyle, you're always helpful at putting things into perspective. I guess I'm just too eager to keep progressing, but in the great span of things 4 months isn't really a long time at all. I'll take a look at different approaches to deadlifting and see what I'll do come late July.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2014 1:15 am

i heard a vial of test will heal a broken rib right up
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2014 1:20 am

But seriously, real talk, can we talk about how ridiculous 2 broken ribs in three months is? Like wtf body...
Back to top Go down
badbackboi
Class II
Class II
badbackboi

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2014 1:28 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
i heard a vial of test will heal a broken rib right up

Add in some HGH, GHRP, CJC, and IGF-1 too.

srs I donno why the doctor can give you a cortisone injection but won't give u hormones to help RECOVER from an injury. slippery slope I guess.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 12:15 pm

07/03/14

SKWAT:
1x7 @ 115
1x5 @ 155
1x5 @ 185
1x4 @ 225
1x3 @ 255
1x3 @ 285
1x2 @ 305
1x2 @ 315 <---wrapped
2x2 @ 325 <---wrapped

Paused Bench:
1x7 @ 95
1x5 @ 135
4x4 @ 185

Comments:
I was surprised at how well my squatting went. Am I back to where I was at pre-3 week break? No, but it's a lot closer than I thought I would be. It looks like I'll have to use my little bitch-belt with the giant back and small front portion, since my rib won't allow me to use my normal belt. Bench also went well, all pauses and no grinding. I'm not planning on any more heavy squat days from here on until the meet. I'm open to hear what anyone who has more meet experience recommends. I want to be as close to 100% as possible (with a broken rib and sub-par belt anyways), so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by going too heavy too close to the meet and not being able to recover in time.

Here's a video of the last set of 325. I'm thinking this could be a good opener for me.

Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 1:53 pm

I would say you certainly have enough time for one more heavy session, and then likely another light session or two.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 4:55 pm

07/05/14

Deadlift:
1x6 @ 135
1x5 @ 225
1x4 @ 291
x1 @ 335
1x5 @ 316

Paused Bench:
1x6 @ 135
1x5 @ 155
2x4 @ 175
2x3 @ 185
2x2 @ 195
2x1 @ 210
1x3 @ 185
1x5 @ 165
1x7 @ 135

Dumbbell Fly:
4x10 w/ 35's
1x10 w/ 35's (1 sec pause at bottom every rep)

Comments:
I want to blow up and say "fuck pulling, deadlifting is stupid, blah blah blah, etc." but honestly I'm just over it. I struggled getting that 335 up, and I mean struggled. My deadlift programming needs a huge overhaul. I have yet to decide what that entails. My rib bothered me a little bit, but not enough for me to blame my shitty pulling on it. Anyways, I wiped any negative thoughts after deadlifting and proceeded to have a good bench day.

I really liked the pyramid style working up to heavy singles. Every single rep was paused and there were no hand-offs of grinding at all. My bench is becoming a lot more consistent which is really nice. I'm gonna have one more heavy bench day next week and decide my opener then. I've gained a lot of ground on bench since I've been back from training, so we'll see where I'm at next wednesday. I'm thinking a 220 opener, but I might be able to push 230 if I can get through it without grinding. My benching has been grind-city lately, and I'm trying to work out of that.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 12:15 am

07/07/2014

Squats:
1x7 @ 95
1x7 @ 135
1x6 @ 175
1x5 @ 225
3x3 @ 265
1x4 @ 265
1x3 @ 265

Press Command Bench:
1x6 @ 95
1x5 @ 135
1x4 @ 165
1x3 @ 195
x1 @ 215
x1 @ 230
x0 @ 225
x1 @ 225

Comments:
Got some volume in for squats today. Not Sheiko levels of volume, but just did some work off Prilepin's chart working at about 75%. My squats felt good, but my speed isn't as fast as it was pre-3 week break. Wednesday will be my last heavy squat day where I decide my opener. I was working with doubles at 325 last week, and I feel like I might be able to bump that up to 335. Guess we'll see. I don't plan on killing myself though.

Today was my last heavy bench session. I had Chris giving my handy's and press commands. I was trying to find out what a good opener was. 215 flew up with no grinding, but 230 slowed down half way up. Didn't necessarily grind, but just moved too slow for my taste. the first 225 fell to my left side, it was really weird, I just rushed the lift and didn't set up right. In any case, I came back and got it fine, just a little slow. Maybe if I hadn't wasted energy it would've came up fast.

It looks like my opener is gonna be at 220-225 for bench.

Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 1:10 am

07/08/2014

Accessory Day

Pullups:
4x10

Overhead tricep band pulls:
4x10

Dumbbell Flies:
5x10 w/ 35's

Facepulls:
1x10 @ 40
1x10 @ 70
4x10 @ 60

Bicep Curl Machine:
two hand:
1x10 @ 70
3x10 @ 60
one hand alternating:
3x12 @ 30 each arm

Slingshot dips: (yeah, that's a thing. Well, it is now anyways)
4x12

Comments:
Not much to say. Just got an accessory day in for upper body stuff. Didn't wanna use too much energy because tomorrow I'm going to go semi-heavy on squat and deadlift to find good openers.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 11:04 pm

I just saw your practice video--your squat and deadlift both look great, man. It's amazing to see you perform so well after the long layoff, plus the broken rib.

As far as the bench opener goes, be careful with it. You walk a very fine line with your butt coming off the bench, and they watch for this very carefully at the UPA (I've been redlighted for it, so I know). Just make absolutely sure that 220 is a weight you can hit, say, without any leg drive if you need to make it convincing for the judges.

Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 11:37 pm

07/09/14

Squat:
1x7 @ 145
1x6 @ 185
1x4 @ 235
1x3 @ 265
x1  @ 305
x1  @ 330

Deadlift:
1x5 @ 135
1x4 @ 225
1x3 @ 291
1x2 @ 335
x1  @ 370
x1  @ 370

Comments:
Today was my last heavy squat and deadlift session before the meet. My squats felt really good, even without a proper belt and a broken rib. 330 came really easy. I'm thinking 330 is a good opener. From there I think I'll move up to 350, and dare I say 365-370 for a third attempt. I'll gauge that one on how good I feel my 350 comes up. My squat is where I'm gonna make most of my money on. I honestly have no idea what my max is because the last time I PR'd (350 at 22nd st BB) it was a different stance AND technique. I also struggled to get past a sticking point, but I ultimately got it. It'll be interesting to see what I end up squatting at the meet next week.

I think the key to my deadlift is having a GOOD meal and proper rest. 335 STRUGGLED to come up last week, and was no problem today. I think a large portion of my deadlift is psychological. Today I tried to cave my upper back a bit (ala Konstantinovs, but clearly not as hardcore). I normally start with a really tense back, and rolling my shoulders forward and rounding the upper back a bit felt like it helped me today, but again, it could just be psychological. I feel like 370 is a good opener. It didn't move as fast as I wanted it to, but I didn't struggle or get the shakes. I tried two singles at that weight today, and I wanna say the second one came up a TINY bit faster. I purposely did heavy deadlifts after squats so I'd get a realistic idea of what my deadlift would be at come meet time.

I want to say with ideal conditions (proper rest and food the previous couple days before the meet), I can hit a 370 opener, and 405 second attempt. I haven't even mentally prepared myself for a third attempt so I'll see how I feel that day.

Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 11:43 pm

Keosawa wrote:
I just saw your practice video--your squat and deadlift both look great, man. It's amazing to see you perform so well after the long layoff, plus the broken rib.

As far as the bench opener goes, be careful with it. You walk a very fine line with your butt coming off the bench, and they watch for this very carefully at the UPA (I've been redlighted for it, so I know). Just make absolutely sure that 220 is a weight you can hit, say, without any leg drive if you need to make it convincing for the judges.

Hey you beat me to the punch today! haha.

Yeah my butt coming up actually hasn't been a problem since my 22nd street visit, which is awesome. My problem is that I wasn't squeezing my glutes enough. I could seriously crack a walnut between those bad boys while I'm benching now. I just need to make sure my hamstrings are stretched nicely so I can avoid cramping, and I can hit 235 now no problem. Everything from 235 on forward will be uncharted ground as far as paused benching goes.

My next post was going to be what my projected lifts were gonna be so I'll just combine it here.

Squat: 330-350-365
Bench: 220-240-255
Deadlift: 370-405-420

I'll be honest when I say that I don't expect to hit the 420 deadlift. I'm just being realistic. I think by that lift I'll be too gassed from the rest of the meet experience, but who knows, I've never done a meet before. Again, I'm open to any help with these numbers. Pretty much everybody here has more experience than I do.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 11:49 pm

On the topic of bench though, I've been back and forth on buying a looser singlet for bench specifically. I've seen that it's a tactic some people use to give themselves a little bit of leeway on the bench. I don't know how else to word that without sounding like I'm trying to cheat... Which I'm not, but maybe it'll just give me some peace of mind if the judges happen to be extremely unforgiving with that aspect of the left.

Also open to hear any thoughts on that tactic
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 11:56 pm

just get a really big badonk
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 12:01 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
just get a really big badonk

Bro have you SEEN my badonk? If there's any sort of doubt to my latino genetics I just need to point out my hip movement while dancing, and the size of my gluteus maximus.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 9:49 pm

07/10/14

Paused Bench:
1x3 @ 95
1x3 @ 135
1x3 @ 155
2x3 @ 175
2x2 @ 200
3x2 @ 195

Dumbbell Flies:
4x8 w/ 40's

Deadlift:
1x3 @ 135
1x3 @ 225
2x3 @ 255
2x3 @ 285
5x2 @ 315

Comments:
I still hadn't fully recovered from my last heavy bench day and it showed. I was grinding through my sets of 200, so I took the weight down a notch. I've also never deadlifted two days in a row so that was odd. Today was just speed work though, so I didn't go heavy. My sets felt smooth. Overall good session.

Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 10:08 pm

07/14/2014

Paused Bench Press:
1x3 @ 135
2x3 @ 155
2x2 @ 175
4x1 @ 185

Deadlift:
1x3 @ 135
1x3 @ 225
2x2 @ 265
4x2 @ 315

Comments:
Solid day, bench came up fast and so did deadlift. I'm actually really underweight. Weighed in at 195 tonight before dinner (bought myself a scale on the way home from Magni). As a result, I'm not gonna worry about weight cutting really. I'm gonna eat a normal diet and see where I'm at Friday (I weigh in Saturday). Worst case scenario I think fasting will be more than enough for me to make weight. Can't wait for the meet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log
Page 9 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next