Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log

Go down 
+13
DDaddyKane
agleckler
Seth
badbackboi
LTomasiello
El Nel
Andy Awad
KevinAlvy
Nathan Poage
lowerpower25
rndchris
Keosawa
Quadfather
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 12:32 am

Thanks Brometheus and Andy. I took your guys' advice for picking my attempt weights at the meet.

Well, figured I'd do my write up to distract myself from an abysmal study sesh I'm having for an American foreign policy test tomorrow...

Overall I had a great experience. It was awesome putting names to faces and dancing around in a singlet (but mainly just showing off mah curves in a singlet).

I made a youtube video of all my lifts, and thanks to everyone who helped out with filming. I somehow have almost a hundred views on it, I have no idea why... I can only imagine its Coffman keeping it on repeat.

Comments:

Squat: First attempt was good, I went up smooth for me no problem. Second attempt, didn't engage the hamstrings and glutes and I knew it the second I was coming out of the hole. I think I lost this lift psychologically because I started nodding my head 'no' before I had even failed the lift. Some feedback I got from Alex was that I point my toes pretty far out and should try pointing them not exactly straight forward, but more towards the midline than they are now. I'll probably play around with this.

Bench: Oh bench... Me and bench have never gotten along. The setups for my attempts were the best I've ever had, I felt 1000% getting ready for the lift as far as getting good arch and a tight back. First rep was no problem. second attempt I raised about 2 inches off my chest and held it there for a good few seconds, I just couldn't get out of the hole. Should I target the pecs more? add in more tricep accessory work? ANY input would be great on that, bench is easily my weakest lift, and the one I'm LEAST knowledgeable in.

Deadlift: I fucking LOVE deadlift, and I know half the people in this club's bread and butter lies in it too. My first attempt was smooth, no problems. Second attempt, a little bit of shaking half way up the thigh, but nothing bad. Overall, I'm glad I got both attempts. I need to work on my set up though. I set up from the bottom, and I've gotten some input that if i bend at the waist, set my grip, THEN load the hamstrings by going to the bottom I might get some better results. As always, (lookin' at you Poage and Kyle), I'm all ears when it comes to deadlift.

I was hoping to get in the 900's, but ended up with 865 at 198lbs. I'm not gonna beat myself up too much, as it was my first meet, and I didn't really have my training peaking around this point, but there's still that little aspect of not meeting my own expectations. I'm not down on myself AT ALL, I'm just gonna use this as fuel to move forward. I haven't really progressed in the past year, and this is what I need to buckle down. with a current 315lbs (in training) squat max and 390lbs deadlift max, I don't think 405lbs and 450lbs, respectively, are unattainable numbers in 2014.

Thanks again to the club for hosting an awesome meet. Everything went insanely smoothly. You guys rock. Gold stars for everybody.

/end rant
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 8:21 am

lol--I'm going to try and learn how to deadlift this year, actually. If I pick up anything that helps me out, I will happily pass it along.

Your bench technique is pretty solid, especially for someone just starting out--I just think you probably need to bench more for a while to develop it. The simplest first fix is often to increase the volume, decrease the intensity, and get in a lot of quality reps over as long a span of time, until you cease making progress this way.

And you're welcome--it was nice to see you decide to compete. Considering you did it on short notice, you performed exceptionally well. I think your 2014 goals are very attainable, and we'll try and help you get there.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 12:28 pm

SSchwartsenator wrote:
Bench: Oh bench... Me and bench have never gotten along.

this guy is made for the club
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
SSchwartsenator wrote:
Bench: Oh bench... Me and bench have never gotten along.

this guy is made for the club

Repped.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 7:55 pm

3/3/14

Upper Body Core Lift Day:

Bench:
Warmups
(75%) 165 x 2
(80%) 175 x 2
(87%) 185 x 1

Slingshot Bench:
4 sets of doubles at 225

Incline Bench:
1x10 @ 95
2x10 @105
1x10 @ 95
1x10 @ 75

Pec Fly (cable machine):
5x14 @ 55

Comments: Solid first day back hitting chest after the meet. Taking Kyle's advice into account though I'm debating if I should ditch the Lilliebridge Method for something more volume based in regards to bench... as you can see I really only did five WORKING reps on the bench press itself. Debating running some Smolov Jr. for bench, but don't know if I'm even close to consuming enough food to fuel that AND Lilliebridge Method on squats and deadlifts. Anybody have any bench programs they've seen results with? (lulz about asking that to the club)

Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Volume and frequency are king and queen for bench and squat. Start doing them multiple times a week.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 10:57 pm

Basically what anderson said. Bench and squat typically respond well to volume but the question what percentage and how many sets/reps. For most, it seems bench becomes stronger in the 70-85% range and in 4-6 sets of 4-8 reps. While this is not necessarily true for everyone, it is not a bad place to start. You need to go back through your training and determine the point when you started to feel stronger and mimic that training
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 11:09 pm

Lilliebridge Method's just on one end of the spectrum as far as training frequency goes. It will work for some, but not for most. Anything that has you benching with a greater frequency (which is just about everything out there) is probably going to be more beneficial right now. Guys like Eric and Stan Efferding really are the exceptions to the rule when it comes to training frequency.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 12:41 am

Yeah, I know there's a stigma about jumping from program to program, but the more I think about it, the more I need it. I tried Lillibridge for 8 weeks, and I did see SOME gains, but in the long run I don't think it's beneficial. Contemplating a Smolov and Smolov Jr combo. It's going to beat the SHIT out of me and I'm gonna have to be eating food like it's my job, but I think I can do it.

On a relevant sidenote, just got a costco card today... Awwww yussss

Bulk foods for bulkin season.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 3:19 pm

My suggestion would be to find something in between. With the Lilliebridge Method and Smolov, you're talking about two ends of the volume/frequency spectrum. And if you've been running LM, Smolov, right now, is going quite possibly going to do more harm than good.

In other words, you can milk the neuromuscular adaptations that come with increasing volume/frequency without using a high-volume, high-frequency program. If you want to do some highly specific training with higher volume/frequency, why not run Sheiko? Start with a beginner template and build from there. The TL;DR here is that going from squatting once every two weeks to squatting twice weekly is probably going to yield a larger net gain and more sustainable results.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 5:30 pm

Smolov Day 1:

Squats:
3x8 @ 205
5 singles @ 220
2x2 @ 235
Single @ 250

Upperbody accessory work:
Bodyweight Dips
3x15
1x11
1x6

Push Press:
5x9 @ 95

Tricep Pulldown:
5x15 @ 72.5

Comments:
Holy volume.

Kyle Keough wrote:
My suggestion would be to find something in between. With the Lilliebridge Method and Smolov, you're talking about two ends of the volume/frequency spectrum. And if you've been running LM, Smolov, right now, is going quite possibly going to do more harm than good.

In other words, you can milk the neuromuscular adaptations that come with increasing volume/frequency without using a high-volume, high-frequency program. If you want to do some highly specific training with higher volume/frequency, why not run Sheiko? Start with a beginner template and build from there. The TL;DR here is that going from squatting once every two weeks to squatting twice weekly is probably going to yield a larger net gain and more sustainable results.

After day one I know exactly what you mean, I literally went from one end of the spectrum to the other. Day 1 was good, but I can't see smolov being a sustainable training system for me right now, ESPECIALLY for the 12 week cycle. Doing some preliminary research on Sheiko makes it seem like it's not nearly as intense as Smolov, plus the Russians are doing it so it's GOTTA be right, right?

TL;DR: Existential crisis. Russian ways are tempting me. More research required.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 5:14 pm

Wednesday: 3/5/14

Deadlift up to knees:
1x3 @ 195
2x3 @ 235
2x3 @ 270
4x3 @ 290

Incline Bench:
4x6 @ 115

Dips:
5x5

Deadlift from boxes:
1x4 @ 215
1x4 @ 250
2x4 @ 290
4x3 @ 330

Comments: Decided to try Sheiko 29 and see how I like it. Felt pretty good, at least I don't feel like I'm killing myself like after Smolov. The programming looks like something that would be sustainable as well. Gotta ramp up the food intake a little, but not by much. I just invested in a roller this week too, so between starting to use that and then switching from little volume to ALL the volume, my body hates me.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 6:48 pm

Good thinking--Sheiko 29 will be a reasonable introduction to that style of training. There are plenty of Sheiko templates to progress through, and you'll build your work capacity better this way. Smolov would have gotten your numbers to spike, but you're correct in that that style of training isn't sustainable, and once you inevitably reduce volume, you're going to lose some of what you worked for.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 7:19 pm

Swolov forever
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 1:01 am

Forgot to log Friday's lift, but whatever, don't care right now. There's more pressing issues at hand. Finally coming down from a high I can only classify as a biomechanical nirvana fueled by a pound of chili induced food coma, I have processed all the knowledge I soaked in through different channels today (one of them being Poage stretching my hamstrings so they can now squat 700lbs. Fact.), and this is the results:

We're bordering on the TMI levels right now, but this only speaks to the absolute success of the seminar...

I NOW KNOW HOW TO DEADLIFT WITHOUT HITTING MY NUTS AT THE LOCKOUT.

Let that soak in for a second...

I've been lifting for almost two years, hitting my family grapes at the top of the lift, every. single. time.
Regardless of what webmd might tell you, that's not something you can build a tolerance to. I was always hesitant with my explosiveness once the bar was above the knee, and tighteting (my perfectly sculpted) glutes, because I KNEW of the pain that would bestow upon my dangly bits.

I don't know why I never thought to bring in my grip by a whole 3/4 of an inch so I wouldn't get hit in the huevos, but I think I'm just gonna attribute it to my persistence to lifting, and wanting all my blood to go to the my muscles and not my brain.

TL;DR Thank you based Kyle
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 1:30 pm

lol, you're very welcome. This is one problem that a manlet like me with long arms doesn't share with you.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2014 6:08 pm

Man I feel your pain on this one, and I've taken my grip in as far as I can. I even asked Kyle at one point if people wore anything to protect their junk when they deadlift. He kind of gave me a funny look and that's when I realized that not every man has arms as short as I do compared to their torso length. He then watched me deadlift and I think I gave him a new reason to be thankful for his long arms. I haven't incurred any serious pain [yet], but it is always a fear in the back of my mind that I will one day squash the family jewels with a heavily loaded barbell. I have since taken the position that the only way to ensure this is not the case is to get my quads so big that the bar no longer makes contact with the goods at lockout. It's either that or wear a cup when i deadlift, which I wouldn't want to have to explain if I'm wearing a singlet.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2014 6:48 pm

obvious solution: sex change operation for everybody with short arms
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 36d424193f

you will never take me alive...
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:

Or he could just start pulling sumo!

...not
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Monday 3/10/14

Sheiko Week 2: Day 1

Squat:
1x5 @ 160
1x4 @ 190
2x3 @ 225
5x2 @ 255

Bench press:
1x5 @ 105
1x4 @ 125
2x3 @ 145
5x3 @ 165

Dumbbell fly
5x10 w/ 35 lbs dumbbells

Front squat:
2x3 @ 145
2x3 @ 175
4x2 @ 190

Comments:
Missed out on a couple of the accessory exercises in the programming cause I was honestly just too dang pooped, I'll do them Tuesday. The drastic increase in volume is something I have to get used to. By the front squats I feel like my CNS was just shot.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2014 8:38 pm

Tuesday 3/11/14

Random Whatever-the-fuck day

Super close grip bench:
2x11 @ 135
1x10 @ 115
1x10 @ 95

Bent over rows:
1x12 @ 95
3x12 @ 155

Barbell Shrugs:
3x18 @ 185

Dips:
2x11
1x6

Comments:

Just felt like I cheated myself by not doing some of the accessory work the day before, so stopped by for a bit to get some reps in. My triceps just kinda gave out on the last set of dips, so I'm guessing that means I'm doing good?

Anyways, made the best protein shake on earth. 3 scoops of chocolate brownie ice cream, 2 cups of milk, 3 scoops of powder, about like 7 girl scout thin mint cookies: BAM. Insta-gains.

Last edited by SSchwartsenator on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2014 8:59 pm

Quote :
Wednesday 3/11/14
Are u a wizard?

That protein shake sounds delicious.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2014 9:25 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
Quote :
Wednesday 3/11/14
Are u a wizard?

That protein shake sounds delicious.

No, but once I master time travel... Watch out Dan Green
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Wednesday 3/12/2014

Sheiko Week 2 Day 2

Deadlift up to knees:
1x3 @ 195
1x3 @ 235
2x3 @ 275
4x2 @ 290

Bench press:
1x6 @ 105
2x6 @ 125
4x6 @ 135

Dumbbell fly :
5x10 with 35lbs dumbbells

Deadlift from boxes:
1x4 @ 225
1x4 @ 250
2x4 @ 290
4x4 @ 315

Lunge :
5x5

Comments:
I hope I can get used to the volume soon, specifically my legs. Muscularly I'm doing okay, but I can feel the wear on my ligaments. The outside of my knee is sore as fuck. I'm not an idiot though, I know when to stop when it gets too much so I don't injure myself. I'm incorporating more mobility stuff, like Poage suggested, post-workout. I'll come home and foam roll and stretch the hamstrings for awhile, so still getting used to that as well.

Sidenote, almost lost the last set of deadlifts because my grip was giving out. If I had a dollar for every strap I've lost, I'd be able to buy a new set of straps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log
Page 2 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next