Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log

Go down 
+13
DDaddyKane
agleckler
Seth
badbackboi
LTomasiello
El Nel
Andy Awad
KevinAlvy
Nathan Poage
lowerpower25
rndchris
Keosawa
Quadfather
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 10:58 pm

http://www.southcarolinabarbell.com/Wrist-Straps-SPUD12/

If you're going to buy straps, get some that are worth a damn.

Also, fish oil.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 11:14 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:

Also, fish oil.

I fail to see how fish oil is going to help me not lose my straps...

...but real talk, I'm intrigued as to the hype behind fish oil. I literally take zero vitamins right now, maybe I should start.

Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 11:34 pm

It was in reference to your soreness and joints and stuff.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 11:40 pm

3/13-3/17

Weird bullshit rest period?

Comments:
Currently writing this on a very uncomfortable 7 hour bus ride from Wisconsin. Much like our fearless leader, I also have drill, but I chose to join the men's department of the military (Ooooo shots fired). I have to eat disgusting rations and get minimal sleep outside in dirt for three days, so I don't really wanna call it "rest" since that's the last thing my body is doing right now. I'll pick back up where I left off on Monday. While I was out here, whenever I wasn't shooting, I was thinking about my programming and I think I'm gonna have to run the four week cycle of sheiko 29 AT LEAST one more time. My body isn't used to the volume at all so I'm getting little tweaks in my left knee and shoulder. I'm gonna have to start taking vitamins or SOMETHING for recovery. Was talking to some of my Marine buddies and they recommend BCAAs for recovery, but what comes out of people's mouths here is bro science at best. Gonna have to look into it more in depth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 12:22 am

SSchwartsenator wrote:
I'm gonna have to start taking vitamins or SOMETHING for recovery. Was talking to some of my Marine buddies and they recommend BCAAs for recovery, but what comes out of people's mouths here is bro science at best. Gonna have to look into it more in depth.

Try to eat a lot of whole foods -- fruits and vegetables. If you're deficient in some nutrient you could definitely be prone to injury. The only legal supplements that are going to make a difference are prohormones and research peptides doe
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 2:18 pm

BCAAs are mostly crap, although they do have some limited use.

Also, what's it like seeing "Department of the Navy" on your contract?
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 11:32 pm

Just something about pro hormones irks me. I'm hesitant to even do preworkout, supplements just seem like a big ol scam. I do agree I need a cleaner diet though, but sometimes I just need calories in my mouth, and Gumby's is soooo goooood.

Chris Anderson wrote:

Also, what's it like seeing "Department of the Navy" on your contract?

SORRY, I COULDNT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF BEING A BADASS
Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Marines_yelling_350
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 11:51 pm

You don't know badass.

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Special_Forces_soldier
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 11:53 pm

Pre workoutGreen Apple NOxplode is the key to both deadlifting 600 and having a beard.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 12:35 am

Operators don't count, cheater. They transcend any badassery we could ever hope to achieve.

Poage, back in the day I took that OG original Jack3d 1.0 formula, and that shit was awesome, but my workouts could only last like 50 minutes, cause after that I just lost ALL energy and passed out. No idea how you guys can use preworkout if you're there for more than an hour...
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 9:29 am

I opt not to use preworkout out supplements. I have nothing against the idea of using them, and I'm sure they work, but it's just a personal choice I've made. My main reasoning is that I know that's not something I'd want to be using for the rest of my life and i don't want to experience the not having a preworkout feeling after having amazing workouts after having taken it for a while. Sometimes I feel low on energy, but it's part of being human. I may change my mind on the matter if I ever reach a point where I think I can be competitive, but for now that's how I feel about.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Andy Awad wrote:
I opt not to use preworkout out supplements. I have nothing against the idea of using them, and I'm sure they work, but it's just a personal choice I've made. My main reasoning is that I know that's not something I'd want to be using for the rest of my life and i don't want to experience the not having a preworkout feeling after having amazing workouts after having taken it for a while. Sometimes I feel low on energy, but it's part of being human. I may change my mind on the matter if I ever reach a point where I think I can be competitive, but for now that's how I feel about.

I feel the same. I used to use preworkouts, but I became too dependent and felt like shit if I didn't have it. I know the benefits of them though, and I'm seriously contemplating starting up again. I'm just curious as to how my workouts will go, considering they usually last from an hour and a half to two hours
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Monday 3/17/14

Sheiko Week 3 Day 1

Squat :
1x5 @ 175
1x4 @ 205
2x3 @ 235
4x2 @ 270

Bench press:
1x5 @ 105
1x4 @ 125
2x3 @ 145
6x3 @ 165

Cable Pec fly:
5x10 @ 65 lbs

Push up:
5x10

Squat:
1x3 @ 160
1x3 @ 190
1x3 @ 225
4x3 @ 250

Good morning (standing):
5x5 @ 115

Comments:
Pleasantly surprised I managed to finish the entire workout. It usually takes me a day or two after drill for my body to be well rested, but I managed to knock it all out. Knee isn't bugging me as much, so squats felt good. Shoulder was still tweaking a little, bench was fine, but I opted for the cable fly's instead of dumbbells.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 8:12 pm

3/19/2014

Sheiko Week 3 Day 2

Deficit deadlift:
2x3 @ 195
2x3 @ 235
4x3 @ 250

Bench press:
1x5 @ 105
1x4 @ 125
2x3 @ 145
3x2 @ 165
2x2 @ 175
2x3 @ 165

Pectoral Fly:
5x10 @ 120

Deadlift from boxes:
1x4 @ 235
2x4 @ 270
2x3 @ 310
3x2 @ 350

Straight Leg Deadlifts:
5x10 @ 155

Comments:
Managed to bum a seven day pass of a buddy back home to go to his gym so programming is still on track. The facilities were "aight" at best. Bench only had 2 different settings for pins, Shaq or Tyrion Lannister. Anyways, got everything done pretty easily. Felt thick, solid, tight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 9:47 pm

Repped for sick solid tight -- lets see how tight you can get
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 12:58 pm

3/21/14

Sheiko Week 3 Day 3

Squat:
1x5 @ 160
1x4 @ 190
2x3 @ 225
6x3 @ 255

Bench press:
1X3 @ 105
1X4 @ 125
2X3 @ 145
7X3 @ 165

Overhead Press:
5x5 @ 95

Good morning (standing):
5X5 @ 95

Comments:
I had opposite ends of the spectrum today, the squats beat the shit out of me but the bench was remarkably easy. Seriously contemplating getting back on that preworkout grind. I'm getting close to the end of the 4 week cycle and my body's getting used to the volume a little better. Foam rolling and actually doing mobility stuff has definitely helped. Still don't know what I'm gonna move on to next, but I guess I gotta make my mind up soon. Sheiko 31 seems to be the common next step. There's really no 1RM testing in any of these programs though, I feel like I'm gonna have to sneak one in there some time soon.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 10:57 pm

3/24/14

Sheiko Week 4 Day 1

Squat :
1x5 @ 160
1x4 @ 190
2x3 @ 225
5x3 @ 255

Bench press:
1x5 @ 115
1x5 @ 135
5x4 @ 155

Cable Flys:
5x10 @ 65

Bodywheyt Dips:
5x8

Front squat
2x5 @ 135
1x4 @ 160
FAIL

Comments:
Well it finally happened. I failed a workout in the programming. I despise front squats oh so much. No matter how hard I consciously tried to keep my elbows up, I kept caving at the bottom. I stopped before I ACTUALLY failed, but I knew I wasn't going to be able to complete it. I was pretty pissed to say the least. I know it's just one day, but it left me pretty disheartened.

This programming rarely has me use 85% of my max at the highest, and I just don't know if I'm getting stronger. I'm coming off programming that I worked with 90, 92, 95% of maxes so I was always pushing that boundary, so this whole volume approach is new to me. I caved and found comfort in retail therapy, so I have some voodoo floss and preworkout coming in the mail. I've pegged my shoulder to be something with internal rotator cuff movements. I'm hoping the voodoo floss can help it, if not I'm going to have to take a break from bench for a little while (which sucks because I really felt like I was improving).

Alright, I'm done bitching. I just had like 3 different minor events (failing front squats, absence of noticeable strength improvements, and shoulder problems) hit me at the same time so the culmination of it all is messing with my groove, and that's that shit I don't like.

/end rant

Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 9:42 pm

Kinda dropped off for a bit and forgot to log.

3/28/14

Bench Sesh:
2x5 @ 90
3x3 @ 135
2x3 @ 165
1x2 @ 198
Single @ 220
Single @ 237

Comments:
I was planning on taking it easy since my shoulder is back to almost 100%, still just nagging a little bit, but I guess I did the complete opposite and PR'd. As I was benching I was feeling really good and as I kept increasing weights it felt unusually light. I missed the 215 lift at the meet and managed to get 220 up with honestly no problem, so figured "fuck it". Hit 237lbs fine, my weakness is always off the chest, so the fact that I didn't have to grind to get it up was a victory in itself for me. This is a new post-injury PR from last year. The cocky part of me was saying I could probably do more, I rushed the set-up for 237 and wasn't as tight as I could have been, but I was just gonna take the small victory friday and walk away with it.

SSchwartsenator wrote:
I'm going to have to take a break from bench for a little while (which sucks because I really felt like I was improving).

lulz.

The only thing I could point out about the video that I'm gonna play around with feet positions. I might bring them forward a bit more. I don't remember my ass coming off the bench, but when it comes down to meet time I don't want that to be questionable.

Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 10:29 pm

3/31/2014

Sheki 31 Week 1 Day 1

Bench press:
1x5 @ 120
1x4 @ 145
2x3 @ 165
2x3 @ 190
4x2 @ 200

Squat :
1x5 @ 160
2x4 @ 190
1x2
1x4
1x6
1x8       > @ 225      FUCK EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS. 60-90 second rest between sets.
1x7
1x5
1x3

Bench press:
1x6 @ 120
2x6 @ 145
4x6 @ 155

Dumbbell fly :
5x10 w/ 30lbs dumbbells

Squat :
1x5 @ 160
2x5 @ 190
4x4 @ 205

Good morning (standing):
5x5 @ 105lbs

Comments:
Holy shit. I was so gassed by the end of this. My squat form went entirely to shit on that pyramid I had to do, but I grinded through it. I wish I would have filmed it. #TeamAwfulHoF. Also the longest time I've ever spent on a workout.

2 hours and 45 minutes workout time PR.

Shoutout to El Nel for a little extra motivation in my time of need during those squats.
Back to top Go down
El Nel
Class II
Class II
El Nel

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 10:47 pm

Those squats looked to intense man.

Its too bad you didn't film it but I did film you after you your reaction after you were done. Here it is...
Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Everything-Sucks
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 9:01 pm

04/02/2014

Sheiko 31 Week 1 Day 2

Deadlift with pause at knees:
1x4 @ 195
2x4 @ 235
4x4 @ 275

Bench press:
1x5 @ 120
1x5 @ 145
2x4 @ 165
2x3 @ 180
2x2 @ 190
1x2 @ 200
2x2 @ 190
2x3 @ 175
1x4 @ 165
1x6 @ 155
1x8 @ 145
2x12 @ 135

Dumbbell fly :
5x10 w/ 30lbs dumbbells

Deadlift from boxes:
1x5 @ 235
1x4 @ 275
2x3 @ 315
4x2 @ 355

Comments:

Solid day. Hammies were fried. Definitely not as tough as "Pyramid of Death" Monday though. My bench just keeps feeling easier and easier from session to session.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 9:10 pm

04/04/14

Sheiko 31 Week 1 Day 3

Squat:
1x5 @ 160
1x4 @ 190
2x3 @ 225
2x3 @ 255
3x2 @ 275

Bench press:
1x5 @ 121
2x4 @ 145
2x3 @ 175
6x2 @ 200

Squat:
1x5 @ 175
1x5 @ 205
4x4 @ 235

Comments:

I made it a point to film today. My squats have been feeling very funky lately, I don't even know what I mean by that. My speed isn't as fast as I want it to be. I always slow down for about a length of 3 inches right above parallel and then speed up again. That seems to be my sticking point. I really would like to hear any critique on my form, or maybe weaknesses you see I can work on. Anything would be appreciated.

Things I AM aware of: my butt-wink. Honestly it varies from session to session. I have stretched my hamstrings at all this week, so that might be it. Some sessions I'll get that joocy ass to grass depth with no butt-wink, but then there's days like today where it shows itself a little bit.

Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Upboat for doubles
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 12:11 am

Just looks funky to me, as you suggested. It looks like you're probably questioning yourself and trying to make too many changes over the course of a session, hence the inconsistency. The easiest way to fix it might just be to train intuitively for a session or two, take whatever "feels" good, and iron out some of the inconsistencies in your technique. At the very least, you'll build confidence by squatting comfortably.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 6:40 pm

I've been stuck at 315 for close to 10 months now. Hit 315 last June, Got a herniated disc in July, back to full training in December, hit 315 again in january, and have not been able to move past it. I wanna say it's psychological, but I feel like that's just a cop out.

This might be weird, but I feel like I have to get some sort of heavy weight on my back (~102-105% 1RM) and fail it (with spotters of course). By doing that I'll kinda tell my body "hey see, it's not so bad. You failed it and your spine didn't snap in two". Or maybe I'm not making any sense whatsoever and somebody should tell me I'm an idiot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log
Page 3 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next