Daveman's Block Periodization Period

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:34 pm

So it is time for change I think…. 5/3/1 has been the core of my training since November 12’. It is a foregone conclusion that at some point my training would need to change from 5/3/1, but I told myself I would stick to this program for at least a year. It has brought on great results and was a fantastic program to learn the lifts on. It was my first interaction with the power lifts and had me doing them often/frequently. It was a good program for a basic introduction to “base building...”

However, it seems that I have outgrown this program (even if only in my head). Better put, a change is needed because I believe I have outgrown this program, when I really haven’t. I’ve made progress, but I’m years away from being anything like competitive in this sport. Nonetheless part of me feels like I deserve recognition for what I have done, even if that recognition is only from me. And that recognition hasn't really come around. This has manifested itself after my meet in several ways. Trying to bench 225 several times. Maxing out, and (re)maxing out my deadlift, and doing the same with my squat. With varying levels of success. Searching, in futility, for something I can be happy about. I need to learn to appreciate the progress again.

These events are brought on by my inability to be happy about the progress I have made… I mean, I’m a freak, I’m happy with the results I’ve made. But there are certainly feels that arise when you realize you worked hard for a year and you still are terrible at the sport… Such is the case with anything, and I don’t look for an easy way out… Instead I think the lack of self-appreciation comes because, well I’ve never really been good at anything, or better put, I’ve never progressed at anything, especially nothing so easily measured as strength. So I stand a year in excited that I have progressed (really overwhelmed with joy), but still disappointed that the progress takes me from really shitty at this sport to slightly less but still really shitty at this sport. Quite honestly I’m not a powerlifter unless you embrace the idea that competing once makes you a powerlifter… 

Back to the point… I fear under 5/3/1 I will end up doing more harm than good at this point. Even if only psychologically. There are certainly better programs out there, and right now, block periodization seems preferable. Other than the above ramblings many people have endorsed the idea at some point I will need to put on some serious size. Block periodization seems like a more efficient way to do this than 5/3/1+BBB. There are a host of reasons why BP is a solid program strategy, and so many people put it better than I….

So what it looks like is a 17-week training block broken into 4 distinct meso-cycles… This is stolen almost exclusively from Dave Tate’s Periodization Bible where he explains the two major training methodologies that he has experienced as a powerlifter (Western/Linear Block Periodization and Westside).
Meso 1--5 Week Hypertrophy Phase
Sets 3-5
Reps: 10
Intensity 62-70%
Meso 2-5 Week Strength Phase
Sets 3-5
Reps: 4-6
Intensity 75-85%
Meso 3-4 Week Power Phase
Sets 3
Reps: 3-4
Intensity 87-93%
Meso 4-3 Week Peak Phase
Sets 2-3
Reps 1-3
Intensity 95-99%

Ranges are related to where you are in the meso. Generally the earlier you are in the meso the more sets and reps you are doing and the higher the intensity… This is the same for the program itself. Starting off with 10s and moving towards a heavy single.
Two potential pitfalls of the program. 1) I am going to get stronger faster than say Dave Tate was getting when he was already very strong doing this. 2) I’m not using absolute 1RM. The solution, from Tate, is to jump up the volume or intensity when you feel like you can push it. This will most likely be somewhere in the Power Meso.

Any input would be appreciated. I think I’ll train 4x a week, but I might not train on a traditional 7 day schedule. Not sure what to do on my second bench day… Poage mentioned tempo benching with less volume but similar intensity (paused for 3-5 count on chest, pause again right of chest for 3-5 count). Also thinking about bench day 2 being a flat back day, or just a bodybuilding push day.

Last edited by David Petersen on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:35 pm

First
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Block periodization isn't a period; it's a way of life.

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:15 pm

I will stab anybody who says something bad about block periodization.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:25 pm

Get ready to stab reddit. They say it's outdated bro.

KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
I will stab anybody who says something bad about block periodization.

more of a west side guy myself
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:42 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
Get ready to stab reddit. They say it's outdated bro.

Reddit is just ahead of the curve--everybody knows the secret to getting strong is 300lb squat form checks.

KevinAlvy wrote:
more of a west side guy myself

Westside usually put their periodization in a block or wave format anyway.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:55 pm

the conjugate method is block periodization?

by the way, looks good OP

It's nice to have a change of pace even if it is not needed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:34 am

KevinAlvy wrote:
the conjugate method is block periodization?

No. Conjugate is conjugate. But you can put conjugate in a block pattern. Westside has been known to do this.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:

No. Conjugate is conjugate. But you can put conjugate in a block pattern. Westside has been known to do this.

Blocking the exercise selection? I thought the whole point of conjugate was that you do not have to block intensity or volume

edit: hopefully paul cooter can whey in here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Movement selection can change depending on block, but from my understanding, they mostly changed up rep/set schemes from block to block. During accumulation, max effort is more for 3RM and 5RM stuff, and dynamic effort would be almost like conditioning work, trying to get in a ton of sets in less time. Assistance stuff would obviously be higher volume. In an intense block, max effort becomes the prototypical 1RM stuff while dynamic work is the usual 8x2 or whatever, or even circa-max work with bands, although that's rare.

Westside changes what they do over time. Articles from the 90's on the Westside method aren't necessarily what they do now, and the only people who can directly comment on what they're doing these days are the people who train there under Louie Simmons.

When I ran a Westside-style split, I put my training into a block pattern.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:36 am

http://www.criticalbench.com/ed-coan-bench-press.htm

Basically stealing this split for my upper-body work. The only difference is Coan's W (which will be my typical linear block peri days) will have more volume for me. I will on that day do whatever rep/set/intensity my program calls for.

So for todayyy...

Week 1 Bench Day 1--3/29/2014
135x5x10
3-minute rest
Threw belt on for last set. Last set was way better
90% of competition: Close-grip 120
120x2x10

So the fourth set was actually pretty tough, maybe an RPE 8.5-9. More so from a bodybuiding perspective. I was trying to pause these reps (very shortly but still pause) and the time under tension just had me get so pump'd that I was struggling in that way. I put my belt on for the 5th set and really focused on just making them very crips TnG reps. Smoked it, much easier than 4th set. I'm sure the belt helped a bit, especially with holding form for 10 reps. A lot of reps and a really good pump. That's not a feel I've felt in a really really long time, so that is good. Looking forward to this phase for my bench.

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:54 am

I am glad the volume day worked for you daveman. I am right there with you when you mentioned the "pump" feeling because on my first 5x8 volume day, my chest hurt soooo bad since it was such a change. This extra volume will inevitably add size to your chest which never hurts either amirite?

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:56 am

Brometheus wrote:
I am glad the volume day worked for you daveman. I am right there with you when you mentioned the "pump" feeling because on my first 5x8 volume day, my chest hurt soooo bad since it was such a change. This extra volume will inevitably add size to your chest which never hurts either amirite?

u-r-right.

Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:07 am

Bring on the hypertrophies. After all, warm weather is just around the corner and you will inevitably be taking your shirt off in front of females.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:13 am

Week 1 Squat
210x5x10
This sucked

Notes: Shocking my body into high volume workouts. I'm backing off the assistance work for now cause my body is pretty much a pumped ball of pump at the end of these. I'll start bringing the assistance work in once I don't feel like my body will explode.

These get me more out of breath more than they challenge my strength. But hopefully I'll have a base built up in a couple of weeks. Just have to struggle through this part. Good news is 5 sets is the most x10 I'll do in this cycle, the bad news is less sets but same reps and higher intensity in the next two weeks. I'm sure I'll survive.

This is a nice change of pace in training. I can already tell it is having a positive reflection on my training. So, yey.

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:18 am

4/2/14
BTN Press
65x6x8-10

Couple of the last sets were a mix of push press at the end to get 10 reps.
Later Raises
2x12
Front Raises
2x12
Shoulder and Hip mobility

Notes--
So BTN is going to be a little different then the rest. I am going to ranges of say 8-10, 5-8, 3-4, 1-2 instead of exact numbers and percents. I will just add 5 pounds each week and do what I think I can. I think the numbers will go up fairly quickly as tonight was the first time I ever did a BTN press. We'll see where it goes from here. These are also pretty short days because it is just shoulders. So at the end of the session I'll throw in some mobility work or other stuff like foam rolling/pull aparts/ shoulder dislocations....

Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:31 am

Add in some more tricep work while you're at it. Frequency will help.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Add in some more tricep work while you're at it. Frequency will help.

Second this motion

David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:57 pm

Feet up Bench
3x10x95
Flies
2x10
Tricep pushdowns
2x12x60
Dips
2x8
Preacher curls
2x12

Notes:
Muscle flushing

KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:32 pm

das it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:20 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
das it

Statement or question?

Quadfather
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:24 pm

David Petersen wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:
das it

Statement or question?

Statement. I believe kevinalvy meant to say "dats it" ... C/D

KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:28 pm

David Petersen wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:
das it

Statement or question?

interesting

never thought of it that way
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David Petersen
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:16 am

Deadlift
210x5x10

225x1
275x1
315x1
365x1
405x1

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daveman's Block Periodization Period    

Back to top Go down

Daveman's Block Periodization Period
View previous topic View next topic Back to top