Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust

Go down 
+10
KevinAlvy
DDaddyKane
LTomasiello
badbackboi
Quadfather
Andy Awad
Chris Anderson Fan Boy 2
Nathan Poage
Chris Anderson Fan Boy
SSchwartsenator
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 1:32 pm

12/2-

Deadlift-
5x8@305

Notes: putting on weightlifting shoes helps me get my knees over the bar and I think that is what I will try to pull in for the rest of the cycle. My ankle mobility just does not exist. I also widened my grip on the last couple of sets so my arms aren't rubbing on my legs and that helped a bit too. These will go up by another 30lb to 335lb.

Last edited by Chris Anderson on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 1:36 pm

12/3-

Safety bar squat-
5x8@255lb

Bench, FLRP-
5x8@230lb

Notes: good day. SBS will go up by another 20lb, maybe more. Bench will go up by another 15lb.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 1:40 pm

Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 9:00 pm

iPl mock meet @ Magni Barbell write up

BLUF: 8/8, 475/335/565, 1375lb unwrapped total @ 188lb. Three days rest with no cutting, no peaking, no tapering or anything special in my training. For reference, I totaled only 18lb more in November, with wraps, after a full peaking cycle and a week of rest. Today was a good day.

Squat-
405/440/475, all good lifts

I warmed up in about ten minutes and hit the opener with no problem. 440 moved even faster and I knew I could make a big jump. 475 sounded like a good number and I crushed it. Technique felt fantastic today and depth was good as well. I plan on hitting at least 500 in March, unwrapped.

Bench-
310/330/335

I was actually able to take my time warming up, which was nice. Technique felt good and I had no issues with my shoulder or elbow. My opener was just fine and I jumped to 330, which was more of a grind than I need it to be. I made a small jump to 335 just to put myself at an 810 subtotal, which meant I didn't even need to pull a PR for my goal total of 1375. 335 was a true grinder, taking over 7 seconds to complete the lift.

Deadlift-
525/565

I opened up with no problem then made the jump directly to what I needed for my goal total. After that, I decided to pass on the third attempt--I had already reached my goal and had little reason to go after a grinder deadlift in a mock meet.

I ended up getting a 409 Wilks for this mock meet, which is pretty solid. It is probably my best performance to date, all things considered. If I can do this well in March, I will likely qualify for RUM IX, assuming I make 165. The most recent RUM unwrapped 165 qualifying total was 1344, IIRC, and it may not jump very much, if at all. The goal is 500/350/575 for a 1425 total.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 9:03 pm

12/7-

Squat-
315x4

Close grip bench, FLRP-
5x8@230

Notes: squat felt like shit so cut it short. Will make it up later. Bench went well. I will bump these sets up to 250 for a real challenge.

12/9-

Deadlift-
5x8@335

Pullups- some
Hanging leg raises- some
GHR- some

Notes: made my shins bleed from deadlifts for the first time ever.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2014 9:02 pm

12/10-

Squat-
5x8@315

Bench, FLRP-
5x8@245

Notes: session @ 22nd street barbell. Squats went well. Depth was iffy on a good chunk of reps as I was trying to cut it right at parallel to protect the hamstring (which felt a lot better today), but overall I think I did well. Bar speed was good but tough. I will go ahead and bump up to 335. That should be a good challenge, but very doable. I accidentally did straight bar squats instead of the planned safety bar squats--oh well, those sets will be a good compliment to my deficit pulls later. I may even be able to give them each their own day.

Bench sets went well, but were tough. I didn't really like the bench or bar I used, but it was okay. Good reps overall. I will bump up another 10lb to 255. They will be tough but it will be a good way to end the meso.

One more week of this 5x8 meso, then I have a rest week. Then I go into 5x3 sets and look to accumulate some fatigue and over reach a bit. Reps will be heavier and a bit of bar speed slow-down will be acceptable. It will be a fun meso. I have three weeks of that then I deload again, then go into my meet prep, which Kyle and I will look at setting up soon. The lifts will start to be trained differently. I have enjoyed training them all the same but they will need to be trained in different manners in order to be prepared the best for March.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 8:55 pm

12/11-

Deficit deadlift-
5x8@315

Notes: not bad. Will go up another 20lb. Not much to say.

12/13-

Safety bar squat-
5x8@275

RDLs- some
Neutral grip pulldowns- some
Reverse hypers- some

Notes: good session. Going up by another 15lb. Will be a good challenge. One more week of 8s then I get to rest and move on to 3s.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 11:10 am

184.6lb this morning.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 1:02 pm

Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 8:12 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
If I can do this well in March, I will likely qualify for RUM IX, assuming I make 165.

Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 What-the-fuck-man
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 6:33 am

12/15-

Squat-
5x8@335

Close grip bench, FLRP-
5x8@245

Notes: definitely a tough session, but the reps all felt good. I had a bit of slowdown on the last few reps of each set at 245, so I am glad I did not go to 250 like I had originally planned. For reference, back when I did Smolov, my last 7x5 day was at 250lb, with my competition grip, after being inured to that sort of volume four days a week. So doing a similar weight for more reps, and more reps per set, after a tough squat session, means good things for my bench.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Lolwut
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2014 3:24 pm

12/16-

Deadlift-
5x8@365

Notes: not a bad session. Getting better at my new setup and technique is more consistent. I am really liking pulling in the w/l shoes and keeping my grip a bit wider.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2014 10:50 pm

12/17-

Bench, FLRP-
4x8@255
1x7@255

Pullups- 5x5@+25
Dips- 3x10@+45

Notes: endlessly pissed off that I missed the last rep. I just lost all technique. My bar speed was just fine and I had no problems at all, I just fucked it up. I want to only allow myself no more than three missed reps all cycle, so here was #1.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 5:15 pm

12/21-

Safety bar squat-
5x8@295lb

Leg press- a lot
Close stance leg press- a bunch
Wide stance leg press- a bunch

Notes: Safety bar sets got better as I went on. Hamstring bothered me a bit as I didn't do my normal warm-up routine with seated eccentric leg curlz but I used a lying leg curl machine and made do. It was okay by the second work set. I have found having a fast descent really helps on my squat sets. I made a point of doing it at the mock meet and on all my squat sets since, and it has helped a good bit. Power out of the hole is definitely better when I get a good stretch reflex.

I'm coming back to Iowa City tomorrow night and will do my deficit deadlifts at Magni on Tuesday. I am supposed to be in my deload by now, but I have three straight 14-hour shifts from Christmas Eve through Boxing Day and I want those to be closer to the beginning of the deload, rather than the end, so I am offsetting things a bit.

One more day of 5x8 then I am done. The 5x3 weeks will be a lot more fun, I feel, and I will get a good chance to accumulate fatigue. The change of pace will be good for me. After that, I will start my meet prep and taper. Kyle and I haven't figured out what I'm going to do for that yet, but I do know that I want to train them a bit differently, as opposed to having everything be all the same.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 8:57 pm

12/23-

Deficit deadlift-
5x8@350

Pulldowns- 4x10, plus a metric fuckton of warmup reps
Reverse hypers- 4x10

Notes: Last day of the 8s, thank god. Now some rest, then on to the 5x3 mesocycle.

Starting weights for the next mesocycle:

Competition squat- 370, 15-20lb jumps thereafter
Safety bar squat- 325, 15-20lb jumps thereafter

Competition bench- 280, 10-15lb jumps thereafter
Slingshot bench (change from close grip bench, more on this below)- 305, 10-15lb jumps thereafter

Competition deadlift- 425, 25-30lb jumps thereafter
Deadlift w/chainz (change from deficit pulls, more on this below)- 385+30lb of chain, 20-25lb + 10-15lb chain jumps thereafter

About the bench change: I am mostly doing this to save a bit of wear 'n' tear on my shoulders and elbows, but also to get some quality overload work and push my bench to new limits. I am also going to slightly bring in the grip on my competition bench (which I believe is a stronger grip for me anyway), so doing close grip as my other variation doesn't help me as much. The slingshot work will be with the same grip as my competition work.

About the deadlift change: same thing here, I feel like doing really heavy deficit deadlifts will just end up putting my lumbar in poor position, as the extra ROM makes it harder to stay in good technique for me. The overload at the top will help a lot as well, especially because I fucking suck at locking out deadlifts. Chains and reverse band stuff will probably be used a good amount in my meet prep.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2014 10:24 pm

Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 7:50 pm

12/27-

rumble rolling- lots
calf stretching/ankle mobility stuff- lots

long-eccentric seated hamstring curlz/squat/pullup- some

bench/band pull-apart/bicepticon machine- some

good morning/reverse hyper- some

Notes: Just a really light session to keep me moving. I need to be more disciplined with my ankle and calf stuff; it really helps keep me in better position when squatting, which can further improve my hamstring health, which has been doing well. More health = more strong. Squat work was up to 145lb, bench work was up to 95lb. Both of those were for a few sets of 5, whereas the other stuff was supersetted in with reps of 10-15.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 7:44 pm

12/29-

Squat-
5x3@370

Slingshot bench-
5x3@305

Overhead band extension
Reverse hyper
Hanging leg raise

Notes: First day of the new 5x3 cycle. Let's just say my squat will be the big driving force behind my total. Slingshot work went decent, but not great. This will likely be the most important mesocycle of the entire training cycle, as this is where I will accumulate fatigue and build strength. If I can hit every rep this cycle and stay healthy/not grind anything, I will be well on track for a big total. I am very confident and feeling good about this.

I talked with the Sawa about the rest of the cycle and we have a plan put together. I will give more info as I get through this meso, but the gist of it is this:

Complete current 3-week 5x3 meso
1-week deload
Another 3-week 5x3 meso, overlapping with the current one to get just slightly heavier in the last week
Another 1-week deload
A four-week taper, using singles and reverse bands for deadlift, and doubles for squat and bench
Frequency drops slightly but exertion remains high but manageable

It feels good to have somebody else working with me on the programming. It is still by and large my own ideas and programming, but the large majority (read: 99%) of the deadlift programming is from Keough. The rest is just bouncing ideas back and forth and relating to what has worked in the past.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 1:19 pm

12/31-

Deadlift-
5x3@425

Notes: As it turns out, deadlifting after being awake for 20 hours sucks ass. Some days I really do wish I was a 6'2" ecto phaggot deadlift bro...but then I get done deadlifting and realize I would never want to do that.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 5:53 pm

1/1-

Bench-
5x3@265

Safety bar squat-
5x3@325 (more on this below)

Reverse hyper- 3x10@90

Wide grip bench- 225x10, short paused/TnG

Pullups- 3x5, varying grips, +25lb x10 w/straps, neutral grip

Notes: So, I decided to actually weight the safety bar today, and it is 65lb, not 55lb as I had been counting it as. So, this means every single rep I have done with it since beginning this cycle is 10lb more than I thought. This is just fine, as the reps have been great. I'm going to continue counting the weights as I have been, for sake of simplicity.

What this means for me is that my squat is going to keep on going up, and I am very excited about where it will end up in March.

Also, on my assistance work: I'm doing a bit of wide-grip bench work each week just to get a rough estimate on where it is, as it will be my secondary bench movement in the next mesocycle. This work won't be very heavy at all, and shouldn't take away from anything. Also, I am going to emphasize my assistance work as a whole for the next couple mesocycles--it helps keep me healthy and focused. Major emphasis will be on lat, glute/low back, and tricep work, with abs and biceps being thrown in on occasion.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 7:40 pm

https://imgur.com/ydIkSce

Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 XenABrJ

Making graphs to show my planned volume and intensity for this cycle. I am only showing data for the competition lifts (save for deadlift, which goes into reverse band stuff at the end of the cycle. Let's see if this one works.

EDIT: Well the direct link works, but not when I try to insert it. y u do dis
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 YdIkSce
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 8:11 pm

how the fuck
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust   Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chris Anderson's Training Log V3.0: RUM or bust
Page 10 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next