HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SSchwartsenator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:27 pm

MFGlenn wrote:
I will gladly stream it if Sam will cast it.

I'll bring the air horns and drink 5 scoops of C4 before we start.

Also gonna have to add one more vote to the CoD4 is best CoD bandwagon. Although I was all over those black ops wager matches.

MFGlenn
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:44 pm

Let's be honest, Black Ops II was the best CoD for competitive. Although, to be fair, CoD4 was how competitive started and has its merits. We can all also agree that CoD:Ghosts is ass.

On a relevant note:

10/1/14:

Deadlift:
Warmups (Warmed up too heavy)
315 1x5

OHP:
Warmups
95 3x5

Notes:
As mentioned, I warmed up for deadlifts with way too much volume, and way too heavy. As a result, I think I was fairly fatigued moving into my working set. I managed to get a video of it, but I'm too lazy to upload it to Youtube. In hindsight, and with examination from a friend, my first 3 reps were spot on. My fourth rep was passable, but shaky. Fifth rep wasn't that good, very rounded. Still excited that this was my 1RM before semester started. Overhead Press sucks balls. I hate anything that has to do with my arms pushing things. I'm super weak, it sucks. I can't seem to progress on press, and my bench form is just ass to begin with. Will be working on it moving into the future, I'm feeling dedicated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SSchwartsenator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:30 pm

MFGlenn wrote:
Overhead Press sucks balls. I hate anything that has to do with my arms pushing things. I'm super weak, it sucks.

You have passed our trials. Welcome to the club.

Nathan Poage
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:33 pm

SSchwartsenator wrote:
MFGlenn wrote:
Overhead Press sucks balls. I hate anything that has to do with my arms pushing things. I'm super weak, it sucks.

You have passed our trials. Welcome to the club.

MFGlenn
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:21 pm

Are there hats? I am a large fan of hats. 10/10 would wear
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DDaddyKane
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:10 am

Quote :
Overhead Press sucks balls. I hate anything that has to do with my arms pushing things.

This hurts me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:18 pm

Quote :
Overhead Press sucks balls. I hate anything that has to do with my arms pushing things.

Just think of it as squatting with your arms
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MFGlenn
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:28 pm

But my arms are small. So are my legs. But just less small. How does fix?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:09 pm

Have you tried not having small arms?

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MFGlenn
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:14 pm

Instructions unclear, arms stuck in saw
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MFGlenn
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:10 pm

10/3/14

Squats:
Warmups
243 3x5

Rows:
Warmups (Mostly me dicking around)
88 3x? (Between 5-8, my ability to count sucks)

Bench:
Warmups
133 3x5

Notes:
Overall, I'm very disappointed in today's progress. I went into the gym today thinking I'd smash 243 because I did the same weight on monday, albeit with questionable form on a few reps, especially in my last set. The sets I did today were atrocious. Almost every rep looked like a good morning. Needless to say, I'll be trying it one more time. If I don't get it then I'll probably lower the weight by 5% or so and try to work back up. Someone suggested that I switch to high bar in order to work on lower back strength with accessory lifts, but I think I'm going to try to stay with low bar in the time being. I honestly just feel a lot more comfortable with it. Definitely going to throw some accessory stuff in there though. Rows and back extensions for sure, open to more suggestions too. Bench felt okay today, at least. Have basically relearned it in the last few weeks, so I'm not too upset with the progression on that.

On a excuse-making note, I think maybe my bad day could be explained my not getting enough to sleep and enough to eat yesterday. Going to be resting and eating well all weekend, hoping to smash 243 on Monday. Also need song suggestions to get pumped up. Today both me and Sam and Paige did some pretty decent sets to "Let it Go" from Frozen. Also "Welcome Home" by Coheed and Cambria, and "The Interlude" by Attack Attack. Music 4 Lyfe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:04 pm

MFGlenn wrote:
(Between 5-8, my ability to count sucks)

no thanks needed, im here to help

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badbackboi
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:23 pm

MFGlenn wrote:
Overall, I'm very disappointed in today's progress. I went into the gym today thinking I'd smash 243 because I did the same weight on monday, albeit with questionable form on a few reps, especially in my last set. The sets I did today were atrocious. Almost every rep looked like a good morning. Needless to say, I'll be trying it one more time. If I don't get it then I'll probably lower the weight by 5% or so and try to work back up.

Other people may have different opinions on this but I am very superstitious about progressions. I wouldn't ever repeat a session that felt bad. Add weight the next time or if you really feel like progress has halted then adaptations are done. No point denying it. Doing the same thing over and over will just normalize you to that stimulus. Goodbye gains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MFGlenn
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:39 pm

10/6/14

Squat:
Warmups (Worked up to about 230lbs by 1, just to try something new for warmups)
243 3x5

OHP:
Warmups (Just the bar)
88 3x5

Notes:
First set of squats, last three reps was troubling. Thought it was going to be another bad day. As I was doing set one, though, I noticed exactly how I was getting the weight too far forward and then making it into a good-morning to get it up: I was breaking at the knees. The last two sets, although not perfect, I would say looked and felt MUCH BETTER. Overall, I'd say the day was a success. Definitely open to criticism from anyone that was there, and I think that I'm going to start recording my second set of squats from now on. Press was meh, because I'm tiny and weak. (Edit: Also on my last set of squats I looked up to try to keep my chest up, gave myself a really mean exertion headache... thought I was going to pass out.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MFGlenn
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:11 pm

10/8/14

Rows:
5x5 95 lbs

Bench:
Warmups
3x5 135 lbs

Notes:
Still doing rows. Also doing bench. Pls giv gainz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DDaddyKane
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:41 pm

Bench will lead you to the promise land.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MFGlenn
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:18 am

10/9/14

Wing Lifts:
1x12 Boneless Spicy Garlic
1x12 Boneless Honey BBQ
1x8 Boneless Asian Zing
1x1 Boneless Blazin'
(Total Volume, 33 Wings, tied with Sam S despite his trash talk attempts)

Notes:
This was tough. Powered through Spicy Garlic, but struggled with the BBQ. After a minute of rest I completed the Zing with fuel left in the tank. Finished it off with a Blazin wing. I actually kept this whole meal down, unlike some people who may try to claim superiority. With proper preparation I feel like I can easily top this PR.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:47 am

you are well on your way

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SSchwartsenator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:19 am

Next wing night will have to be hosted at an "all you can eat" establishment for the sake of all of our wallets

MFGlenn
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:13 pm

10/10/14

Deadlift:
Warmups
320 1x5
320 1x2

Squats:
Only warmups

Notes:
Decent deadlift day. Sam noted that my knees didn't lock out completely on two of my reps, so I did two more to compensate. Will keep that in mind in future. Last two reps were also done double overhand, trying to build some grip strength.

Also, after some research I've decided that the pain near my left elbow/bicep is because my wrist is cocked under the bar when I squat, causing my arm to try to compensate and strain. Learned about shoulder dislocations today, tried it out and did some light squats to get a feel for it. Felt much better, will be doing this for the future. Didn't squat heavy today since I've reaches 245 which was my last PR, going to be doing some heavy singles on Monday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
El Nel
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:03 pm

MFGlenn wrote:
10/10/14

Also, after some research I've decided that the pain near my left elbow/bicep is because my wrist is cocked under the bar when I squat, causing my arm to try to compensate and strain.

This used to happen to me when I first switched to low bar and Kyle taught me a couple of exercises for shoulder mobility. Once my mobility improved I was able to lift my elbows higher on my set up preventing my wrist from bending. I can teach you those next time to see if it helps you too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MFGlenn
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Nel, that would be fantastic. Please do Smile

10/13/14

Squats:
Warmups
265 1x1
281 1x1
292 1x1

Notes:
Massive PR today. 45 lbs higher than previous. Felt decent, the 292 I went way too far forward in the hole, but watching the video I managed to bring it back quite a bit. Recorded the last two attempts, may put them up here. Body weight is aprox 165 still.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SSchwartsenator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:06 pm

MFGlenn
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:04 pm

Good read, will definitely work on that. Has it not improved in the last month, though?

10/15/14

OHP:
Warm ups
100 1x5
100 1x3
95 1x5

Rows:
95 4x8

Notes:
Meh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badbackboi
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Nuckols has been putting out a lot of stuff lately. He's right on the money with that article. I know Candito had a video up sometime last year saying that Rippetoe's hip drive cue didn't actually cue hip drive because the knees are actually extending faster than the hips when the hips rise faster than the bar. He's since taken the video down. However he's right that this is what happens, but it's to facilitate a position that puts a greater moment on the hips. When I had some quad tendonitis early this summer I found that doing BW squats with "chest up" hurt a lot more "driving with the hips" even though if you look just at the angular velocities of the joints you'd be a little confused. I still don't have a good explanation of why this happens.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log   

Back to top Go down

Road to Not Weak: Matt's Training Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next