Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Kyle's New Training Log

Go down 
+3
KevinAlvy
SSchwartsenator
Chris Anderson
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

Kyle's New Training Log Empty
PostSubject: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 9:47 pm

I should be logging and I haven't been, so I am going to start a new log and see if this works. I'll log the last week just to have something to talk about. In the meanwhile, here's the quick rundown:

I'm currently preparing for a meet in February at 148 lbs. So far, everything's going well--I'm in week seven of my meet prep and am one week away from finishing my second accumulation phase. After this, I get a full one-week deload, which I'm pretty excited about. I'll try to post on here as frequently as I can.

Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 9:58 pm

1.) Paused Bench Press, narrower grip, pinkies on rings
220x10
220x10
220x10
220x10
220x10

Squat
340x7
340x7
340x7
340x7
340x7

Pendlay Rows
235x10
235x10
235x10

Face Pulls
135x12
135x12
135x12
135x12
135x12

2.) Deadlifts
495x3
495x3
495x3
495x3
495x3

3.) Double-Paused Beltless Squats
295x7
295x7

Paused Bench Press
235x10
235x10
235x10

4.) Squats
355x7
355x7
355x7

Notes: Everything's feeling solid right now. Bench press is definitely mediocre, but I know it will improve and the important thing is that my pec isn't an issue. I would say that my strength is about where it was leading into the last meet, which is to say...not fantastic. But I feel optimistic about my ability to make improvements.

Squat feels really good. My back was trashed from deadlifting for the double-paused squatting and the 355-lb. sets, but I still thought those were solid. The squat has probably been the biggest mover of the three lifts since the last meet, though I was pretty detrained going into that one. I can tell it's a lot stronger with the sub-max weights.

Next week will be interesting, as the projection will likely be for 370x7 for eight total sets over two sessions for a combined 56 NBL. That's more high-intensity volume than I think I've ever handled, but I also think I'm ready, especially if I take the NBLs down from 70 this week and 84 the week before.

Deadlift also feels great. We're well ahead of our pace from last training cycle; bar-speed off the floor's improved, and the lockout is much stronger from all the Dimels I had been doing.

Next week will also be interesting. I'm going to end up doing something in the range of 515-525 for five sets of three for the first session, then 480ish for five sets of three with my paused deadlifts on the second session. Those numbers sound pretty out-there but I guess that's where I'm at right now.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'm headed to a meet tomorrow and will be back training on Sunday for paused deadlifts (460x3x5).
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 6:31 am

1st
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 3:56 pm

2th
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Paused Deadlifts
460x3
460x3
460x3
460x3
460x3

Notes: I was told to keep the progression on the low end for this week, because we're deadlifting twice a week and it's going to be a taxing training cycle, so I went up 20 lbs. to 460. These felt pretty easy and I know I will be able to handle 480x3x5 next week if that's what we choose. I will also have my last regular deadlift session on Wednesday, but my volume on squatting will be down a bit, so hopefully I'm a bit better recovered for next Sunday's pull session.

Overall, it went well. Warm-ups felt slow and my back is definitely over training but once I started trusting my strength off the floor the weights flew up pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6QoECSb2SY
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Squats
370x7
370x7
370x7
370x7

Bench Press
245x10
245x10
245x9

Notes: Squats were pretty good considering 370x7 is heavy for me. My body's really starting to fatigue from the training cycle but I'm almost at the deload week and I've made great progress.

Bench felt OK, not spectacular but I really just felt worn down from the squatting, worn down from the training, and worn down in general. I'll decrease the exertion to hit my bar-lift goal on my next session, likely with something like 245x7x7. The good news is that my pec is 100% now and I can bench pain-free with my comp grip; the bad news is that I'm at the end of this hard accumulation phase and this is the first session I've really had to nope it out of there when the exertion got higher than I wanted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Mcx6oENfk
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 10:57 pm

Deadlift
520x3
520x3
520x3
520x3
520x3

Notes: This went a little easier than expected and I guess I could have gone a bit heavier, but I don't think it will be necessary to continue getting stronger. This will be my heaviest deadlift session for this mesocycle, though I do have 480x3x5 or something like that with the paused deadlift on Sunday. After that, I get a rest week, then I get to go back in and run the peaking phase before we reset and work towards RUM; I think that'll be reverse-band deadlifting and we'll probably keep the intensity down some, but it should be interesting to see how I feel in comparison to the last time I got to this point.

So, overall, surprisingly good stuff. I was pretty tired going in and my warm-ups felt like dog crap but the work sets were easy. I'm at week eight in training for RUM and all my lifts feel way stronger than at the meet, especially the squat and deadlift. This has probably been the longest I've consistently gotten stronger on a sustained training cycle in a while, and I think if I continue being smart and allow myself time to recover from this meso, that can continue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua0mjt9fUWo
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 1:59 pm

Squats:
405x2

Bench Press:
245x7
245x7
245x7
245x7
245x7

Notes: When I received word that Sunday's deadlifting would be reduced slightly, I decided to opt for a top-set method for my last squat session, doing something north of 370x7 and using load drops to fill out the volume. Well, I got to 405, did two reps, and racked it, because frankly I was feeling pretty beat up, nothing really was firing, and I could tell that the fatigue at this point has accumulated enough to really start to hinder performance. I was feeling good until about a week ago, and since then my performance has gotten pretty inconsistent. I've had some so-so benching, good deadlifting, and good/so-so squatting.

The next day, I benched, and I got in the bare minimum volume at a lower exertion. Even then, I didn't feel super strong or anything. I'm getting the sorts of feelings that come with over-reaching--I'm starting to feel burned out, my body's starting to ache in not-okay ways, and nothing is firing the way it should, as bar-speed is steadily declining.

I knew this was coming because I felt locked in at the beginning of this week and I almost expected the regression. The performance right now is at a low but I guess the point of this training cycle was to over-reach without getting too beat up. Sunday will be my last session, and then I'll get a complete rest week.

If we've done this correctly, I should feel great starting the next meso. The exertion will wave back down to mostly low-exertion work and my bench and squat training will now be split between higher-intensity and higher-volume work.

To recap, next week's deload will take me into December 1st; from that point on, I run a three-week meso up to 12/21. Stano begins on 12/13 and epi begins on 12/27 (merry Christmas!). The goal for this next three-week meso will be to introduce myself to some higher-intensity training while progressively recovering from the first half of this macrocycle. The goal is NOT to accumulate the same amount of fatigue, and I will have to be careful about that.

Otherwise, I don't know the numbers just yet. I thought about opening this next meso with a top-set session on squat to benefit from a real top set coming off a rest week, but frankly I don't think it will be best to subject myself to a hard set right off the bat. I am already stronger than I thought I'd be heading into my meet-prep and my work capacity is in great shape for a training cycle. I will have to be careful with next cycle's numbers but I also think I have a good handle on what needs to be done. The big gains are going to come when I'm on cycle, and I feel OK about something in the range of 450-320-600 right now for absolute maxes; that's about on the high end of where I needed to get to. Anything I get from this upcoming meso is gravy and my goal is really just to maintain strength while feeling fully recovered. I'm not going to get greedy because I know from experience that this is the point in my training cycles that I usually screw up.

Also, weighed 157.8 yesterday morning, so my weight's nice and light and progressing nicely. By the end of the year, I need to be sub-155, but I'm almost two-thirds of the way there and I started a month ago. The weight loss will start to slow down after this deload week.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Hey man, I've been pretty good lately. I've been thinking about life after grad school a lot- specifically that I don't see myself pursuing a career in the field I'm studying right now. Perhaps I'll shoot you a message sometime on the ol' Facebook about it. I seem to recall you finding yourself in a similar position around a year ago?...

Looking forward to watching your training coming up here mang.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Yes, a very similar position. We should chat soon, mate.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Sounds good man. I'll get a hold of you.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 11:25 am

Yay, I'm back from my deload.

Squat
365x1
405x1x3

Notes: I let someone at our gym borrow my shoes for this week, and I didn't have them for this session, so I wore my basketball shoes and tucked my bunched-up elbow sleeves under my heels. I didn't feel any lateral instability while I was squatting, though it was definitely pretty squishy (and not advisable). I just kept going up for as long as I felt stable and settled for three of the projected five singles with 405.

I'm not sure how much I was losing from the footwear situation, but the good news is that my legs and back felt pretty fresh from the time away. The exertion was a little higher than I wanted it to be, so I cut the singles down, even though the third one ended up being the best. Considering the circumstances, it was a pretty good session, and I imagine they looked faster than they felt.

The layout for this week looks like this:

Squat:
Session A: 290x10x3 back squat, 240x10x3 beltless double-paused squat
Session B: 360x5x5 back squat, 405x1x3 back squat (done today)

Bench Press:
Session A: 210x8x5 closer grip
Session B: 220x7x5 closer grip
Session C: 240x6x5 comp grip

Deadlift:
Session A (12/3/2014): ~540x2x4

Exertion on the back squat is brought back down from the ending numbers for last cycle (which were 320 for sets of ten, 370 for sets of eight, and 295 for sets of seven with the beltless double-pause). Most of the work will be quality volume, with a few near-max singles and about 25-30% of the total work coming in the 80-90% range. Everything should be at a low RPE, with the only exception being the singles.

Exertion on the bench press also goes down from ending numbers of 225x10 on the closer grip and 235x10/245x8 with the comp grip.

Deadlift frequency drops to once every five days, with the only session this week being on Wednesday. This protocol isn't set in stone just yet but it'll likely be four doubles with a weight in line with the 520x3x5 session I performed previously. That weight, I'm guessing, will be around 540.

For week two:

- Expect a squat progression of ~20 lbs.:

Squat:
Session A: 310x10x3 back squat, 260x10x3 beltless double-paused squat
Session B: 380x5x5 back squat, 425x1x3 back squat

- Expect a bench progression of ~10 lbs.:

Bench Press:
Session A: 210x8x5 closer grip
Session B: 220x7x5 closer grip
Session C: 240x6x5 comp grip

Deadlifts will be done on 12/8 an 12/13 and will likely involve reverse-band deadlifting, where the setup's taking off ~120 at the bottom and almost nothing at the top.

12/8 will likely be six lower-RPE singles. Last time, we did 600x1x6. This session will probably be around 615-625x1x6 but will depend upon how I feel.

12/13 will likely be three higher-RPE singles at ~95%. I'm guessing this will be in the range of 640-650.

The deadlifting isn't really set in stone and we will have to see how this two-week phase goes before I make future plans. I will very likely not try to sustain the squat/bench progression, and I will be taking another deadlift deload.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 8:05 pm

Helloooooo, I'm back.

I took a hiatus during my deload--and into my two-week switching phase--to just focus on managing the training as best I can. I hit my weight-loss goal and then exceeded it, weighing in as light as 154.6 this morning. At this point, I've lost approximately eight pounds in the last eight weeks, and my strength held up very well up until the deload. I have definitely felt weaker for the last couple of weeks and am looking forward to putting some weight back on for this training cycle.

Overall, there isn't too much to say about this cycle. My training was OK and I kept the exertion in check. I feel in pretty good shape for my last seven weeks of training. My supplementation started today and I should start seeing my strength climb in the coming weeks. That supplementation, plus the ability to put on 7-8 lbs., will give me a nice boost.

I will be logging everything from this point very closely, so as to track my progress. This is going to be quite the interesting journey.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 8:48 pm

So fucking excite
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 11:44 am

Me too bud--we'll see what happens here.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 7:59 pm

Keosawa wrote:

I will be logging everything from this point very closely, so as to track my progress. This is going to be quite the interesting journey.

o rly
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 9:20 pm

ya rly
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Paused Bench Press
265x6x2
235x10x2
235x6

Pendlay Rows
225x8x3

Face Pulls
90x20x5

Notes: Bench press is poor (putting it mildly) now that I'm down at 154 lbs., but this was a marked improvement over the last session. My suspicion is that my bench will probably be my biggest initial mover now that I'm on dat dere. The previous session I had worked up to 275x3x2 at about the same exertion level, though I attribute the increase more to the placebo effect and to just plain feeling better on that session.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 7:00 pm

when is 400
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 7:46 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
when is 400

You mean on bench? I'm hoping for 360 at this meet but would still be pretty happy with 350. I don't think 400 is happening. I'll just go with whatever the progression allows for though. The higher-exertion sets should help give me some indication of where I stand. I don't know where my lifts will end up but I think it has to be something like 480-360-630 for a WR, which could be doable but I really just won't know until I go through it.

Last edited by Keosawa on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More deets)
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Yeah. I'm kind of interested if you body holds up better or worse on gear. Would you say you are pretty much healthy now?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2014 9:36 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
Yeah. I'm kind of interested if you body holds up better or worse on gear. Would you say you are pretty much healthy now?

Feeling pretty good, yeah. I'm a little achy from tweaking my back deadlifting last week but otherwise I'm healthy. So, I feel better than usual, though I wish I felt 100% at this point.

And I think I could do better or worse, but that it'll just depend upon how I train. Recovery will be better, but that can end up being a license to run my body into the ground.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Squat
295x10x5

Notes: Good bar-speed and everything felt really light. This was my best session in a while. My tweaked back does not bother me when I squat and deadlift heavy, but it doesn't like sitting at a desk five days a week, so I'm going to get my first chiro adjustment and see if that helps. Otherwise, I was really happy with how this went, and the progression will be something like 295-310-325-340 over the next two weeks, though that last session needs a big asterisk because it'll all depend on how my strength feels and if I can reach that far.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:33 pm

Paused Bench Press
255x8x2
225x12x2

Face Pulls
90x20x5

Notes: Bench felt a little stronger than last session; my energy's been pretty good this week and all my training sessions have gone pretty well. The bench press is definitely on an upward swing for me, and it'll be interesting to see how far it climbs in the coming weeks.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2014 2:56 pm

Squats
315x10x5

Pendlay Rows
225x8x3

Notes: I felt pretty sore from the last squat session, but these were easy. I felt especially strong in the hole and felt like I had good control of the weight. I started to tire towards the end but the reps weren't challenging. I guess I am going to take another 15-lb. jump to 330x10x5 on Tuesday and finish at 340 to 345 for a 10x5 before I move on to the next phase of squat training.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kyle's New Training Log
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next