Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Kyle's New Training Log

Go down 
+3
KevinAlvy
SSchwartsenator
Chris Anderson
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Keosawa wrote:
Wow, the one time I was trying NOT to use innuendo...

in your endo

Wink

Repped.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 10:24 pm

2" Deficit Deadlifts
485x3x3
485x6

Notes: meh deadlift session. I should have expected it one day after squatting pretty heavy; I got through it without too much issue, but everything moved pretty slowly. I got in, got the reps done, and got out.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 2:34 pm

From the last couple days:

Paused Bench
315x4

Wrapped Squat
510x4

Notes: Obviously did more than just this, but this is what I'll log. Happy with both these numbers and they're both obviously PRs. Both bench and squat are feeling pretty good and the squat especially is getting better each time I use my wraps. Two weeks ago I failed 540; last week I doubled 515; this week I finished with 510x4. I'm getting stronger, but I'm also just getting more comfortable in wraps. For me to hit the numbers I'd like to shoot for in August, my guess is I'll have to be ~365 for a paused bench and ~575 for a wrapped squat in five weeks. I'm pretty close already, so that's good. I gotta bring my bodyweight down now to make 165 (fml) but I'm going to be working with somebody for the first time and I'm sure will benefit from a smarter approach.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Paused Deadlifts
510x3
530x3
545x3
Notes: Went heavy on paused dellies today because I figured I'd cut down on the volume further, since I've got another whole macrocycle to go before this meet. These felt pretty solid and I think 545x3 was a 3RM, pause or no pause. I guess I could paused pull close to 600 now in the middle of a training cycle, so at least I've got that going for me.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 8:11 pm

das nice
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 7:37 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
das nice

Thank you. Smile

Paused Bench
315x2
340x2 PR
365x2 w/ slingshot

Back stuff

Notes: 10-lb. double PR over a couple of weeks ago. Felt stronger than ever. I'd like to up the training volume a bit more on these heavy days but as long as I'm making progress, I'll stick with what's working.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 5:54 pm

Wrapped Squat
530x2

Reverse-Band Squat w/ three-sec. eccentric
405x5x3

Notes: I felt pretty good squatting last week but completely fell apart on my top set this time. Not only did they feel unsteady and sloppy, but the depth was not even close.

Time to take a couple weeks to get out of wraps, film from the side, and just do some technique work. I'm going to take my stance out a tad to make depth easier and focus on longer eccentrics for good depth. Over the next couple weeks I'll do some reverse-band work instead of wrapped squatting.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 11:04 pm

Keosawa wrote:
Wrapped Squat
530x2

Reverse-Band Squat w/ three-sec. eccentric
405x5x3

Notes: I felt pretty good squatting last week but completely fell apart on my top set this time. Not only did they feel unsteady and sloppy, but the depth was not even close.

Time to take a couple weeks to get out of wraps, film from the side, and just do some technique work. I'm going to take my stance out a tad to make depth easier and focus on longer eccentrics for good depth. Over the next couple weeks I'll do some reverse-band work instead of wrapped squatting.

Keosawa wrote:

Keosawa wrote:
'm going to take my stance out a tad to make depth easier and focus on longer eccentrics for good depth.

Keosawa wrote:
'm going to take my stance out a tad to make depth easier

Keosawa wrote:
'm going to take my stance out

Keosawa wrote:
take my stance out

Keosawa wrote:
out

cheers
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 11:49 pm

Eh, it won't be by much. Just enough to make the depth a bit easier. Frankly I don't need to make that change to make it past parallel, but I'm going to mess with it a bit and see how it goes.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 9:23 pm

Reverse-Band Deadlifts (no clue on tension, but less than what I usually use)
545x1
585x1
610x1x3

Notes: Deadlifting felt fine today and I pulled pretty well. After yesterday, I am just mindfucked right now with my training. Janis has been in my head about correcting technical mistakes and the constant critiquing has more or less made me want to stop training. We had a conversation about this, and then the gym got polled by her as to whether I completely locked my hips out on my 585 warmup.

I just about had it after that and we talked, again, about what I need from a training partner. I will be feeling much better once I get another good training session or two in me, but as of right now, I'm very frustrated.

Did three singles and called it after that; my head just wasn't in it and I wasn't willing to try and change that. There's a lot to fix right now with my lifting, but the most important thing is just getting myself into a good emotional state.

Strength is fine, but this is just a minor crisis period. It'll blow over. I just might have to distance myself from people and work on things myself in the meanwhile.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2015 11:30 pm

Don't be afraid to take the bad with the good, my friend. Stick to what you need in training and be honest with yourself. Don't let anybody be a yes-man to you about what you need, but keep your boundaries clear.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 6:26 pm

Thanks man. I was a little beat up--physically and mentally--this weekend and am taking a few days off to recover. I'm in better spirits now. I need to keep your input in mind because I've made this mistake before. I tend to have both good and bad results when I'm the only one giving input on my training, good results when I very selectively solicit feedback, and horrible results when I let the feedback floodgates open.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 9:25 am

Reverse-Band Deadlifts
585x3
635x2
675x2
700x2

Notes: Took three days off from training, then came in for my second to last deadlift session of this meso. Everything felt really easy so I kept going up. I planned on finishing at ~630-650 but was prepared for a little less. I just felt really strong and ended up doing my heaviest pre-RUM single for a double, without lifting straps. I'll be doing one more session and I guess I'll aim now for ~730 with straps.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 5:23 pm

Time to update loggy, I guess.

From this past week:

Paused Bench: 245x8x5, Squat: 315x8x3, some back work

Paused Bench: 300x4x3, 300x7

Wrapped Squat: 470x4x4

Notes: Deadlift felt awful on four days' rest, so I shut it down with one miss at 725 after my great second-to-last session. The final mesocycle is just going to need to be adjusted for the next time, as four days' rest wasn't enough time for me to be anywhere near ready. I basically felt like I was pulling coming off a meet and missed 725 at my knees. Next time I'll run just two sessions, space them a week apart, and give myself a full two weeks off for the meet.

Bench felt solid this week and my numbers are good. Considering I've dropped 7 pounds in the last three weeks I'm holding my strength pretty well. 300x7 was a pretty nice surprise and I'm training healthy. For the first time in a couple months I have a training method that I've used successfully for at least a couple weeks and am making progress on.

Squat's feeling weak as shit but the depth is getting better, and most of my reps the last couple of weeks have been past parallel. My goal is just to get my squat back to passable shape and do a meet where I don't have to apologize for the depth.

I don't always feel like I'm doing great but I'm also trying not to stress about it. Though I can't say much about it, any supplements I'm currently taking are being minimized by the fact that I'm taking other "supps" to eliminate certain possible sides and that that's decreasing the effectiveness. Quality of life is great and I'm happy with that but I'm not seeing much in the way of a performance benefit.

Still, I'm doing well and I need to remember that more often. Bench and squat are up 30-40 pounds from this point last cycle, and deadlift is higher than at any point during that period, on or off supps. Bench is also higher than it's ever been, if only be a hair. In a couple weeks I will balloon back up to ~180 when I have my date with Diana Ball and that will be good stuff. If I keep plugging away good things will happen.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 9:32 pm

Time to update loggy with work from this week before bed:

Paused Bench/Squat volume day: 260x8x5 on bench, 335x8x3 on squat. Not much to say here. Paused benching was so-so and I felt tired for squats so I took it pretty easy. Finished with some assistance stuff.

Deadlift day #1: 430x8x4. Woof. Felt underprepared for these. Used the DL bar and having the plates slide during these long sets didn't help. Wasn't properly locking out reps toward the end so I just called it at four sets and went home to rest up.

Heavy Bench Day: 315x3x3 and 315x5. The last two weeks I've felt so-so for volume bench but pretty good for the heavy day. Going into RUM my best triple was 315x3 and I did it for three sets, then got a set of five, so that's cool and my bench is feeling strong(er). Gotta keep extremely tight to ward off the tendonitis but the new training protocol seems to be doing the trick.

Heavy Wrapped Squat: 490x3x3. Depth was inconsistent but mostly good, as I keep improving in that department. Squats felt infinitely harder than they looked, though I never felt like I was going to fail. Another step in the right direction for the lift I feel weakest with.

Deadlift Day #2: 455x8x5. This felt much better. Pretty easy stuff. Pulling with the stiff bar and keeping the plates clamped made it easy. I could definitely go up to 480x8x5 for my last session.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 9:26 pm

Time to update loggy.

Volume Day: Not much to report here. Did a few sets of 275x8 and called it there. Knowing I had a big deadlift day tomorrow, I opted to rest rather than do extra squat work. I'll squat once this week and shift back to the second day next week.

Deadlift Day: 480x8x5. Toughest deadlift day in a long while. I never felt in danger of failing but doing 480 for 40 reps was mentally taxing. I did well though and finished that mesocycle 10 lbs. higher than I had expected. On to the next one!

Heavy Bench Day: 330x4, 355x2. Felt great warming up and executing today. I don't have a plan for the next two weeks, so I guess it's time to write that up. As tempting as it is to follow this progression to a single next week, I'll probably revisit my previous protocol and start back up with sets of four at a reasonably high exertion.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Squat Day: 510x2x2 in wraps, then a bunch of unwrapped sets: 325x6, 355x6, 380x6, 390x6, 315x10. Random stuff.

The first set on wrapped squats felt ridiculously easy, but both reps were an inch high. The second set felt off but the reps were to depth. Just gotta keep working on it.

The next day I came in and used the squat bar for the first time in a few weeks and instantly my squat felt comfortable again. I guess I just have to train out of the mono with it from this point on. I was just testing some numbers out to establish unwrapped percentages for the future.

I'm starting the important part of my training cycle with only five weeks of training left, so it's time to kick my squat into gear. I've felt OK about it the last couple of weeks but much more positive after returning to the squat bar.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2015 8:40 pm

Deadlift: 530x3, 560x3, 585x4, 600x2

Notes: Came in on six days' rest from 480x8x5, which for me is basically a full deload considering this program frequency, and felt really good so I just went for it. Missed the third rep on 600 and that was a dumb attempt but I don't think I've ever pulled more than 580 in training. Deadlift feels awesome and I think I have a long way to continue improving.

Squat: 355x10x4

Holy back pumps. Definitely feeling yesterday's session. I need to start taking my taurine before I go in and train because this was ridiculous. The sets themselves weren't bad and I just needed to get these reps in. Could be better, could be worse. I'm going to start really investing in my squat because of the three lifts, it's the one that's lagging behind.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Bench Press: 315, 345, 370

Goddamnit, tendonitis. Everything hurt like hell and moved awful today. It took me a million years to lower weights and I had no pop off my chest. But I pushed through the progression and called it at 370. It moved OK and I really just need to get myself feeling better to perform better. I was doing great for a while there, but last week things started bugging me and taking a session off almost made it worse.

Ah, well. Back to really light volume on Tuesday, and I'll see if that helps. I'll also call Janis's chiro and see if he can work some tendonopathy magic. C'mon benchy, we're all gonna make it brah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuY9dcobkb0
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 5:22 pm

Donnie Thompson recently put out a few things for pec stuff. Might be worth looking in to.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Donnie Thompson recently put out a few things for pec stuff. Might be worth looking in to.

Pec's fine; it's my biceps. I'm just going to call Janis's chiro on Monday. He's got a good reputation and has worked wonders on her. We'll see if he can fix me too.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 8:15 pm

Powerlifters dont need biceps

Just get triceps surgically installed in their place
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 8:37 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
Powerlifters dont need biceps

Just get triceps surgically installed in their place

Repped for logical reasoning.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 8:41 am

Squats
415x3
w/ wraps
465x3
490x5x2
unwrapped
415x5x2

Notes: Squats felt very easy and I even bumped up the reps on my two sets. Just gotta continue working on getting down there.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 8:15 pm

From a couple days ago:

Feet-Up Bench Press
225x20x2
225x10x3

Squat (no wraps)
375x10
415x10

Ankles are bugging me right now from running group classes but I've scaled back my jumping around and am just trying to survive these squat sessions. I knew after 375x10 that I was going to be feeling it if I stuck with my four sets, so I just went up and capped it with one more set.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kyle's New Training Log
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next