Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:20 pm

Okay, more loggy.

Paused Bench Press
305x3x2
305x5

Deadlift w/ reverse bands (~120 at bottom, a little at the top)
700x1

Notes: Paused bench felt great, except my tendonitis is excruciating right now and I can't get it to chill out. One rest week would do it, but I want to be productive on my last week of training, especially now that things are rolling. 305x5 was a PR and I felt capable of 6-7; I will bench very well if I can get this to subdue. I will probably train on Tuesday, suffer through it as best I can, and then rest up for my last session on Saturday. I'd prefer to get three in, but that's not going to set me up for a good top single.

Deadlifting was pretty easy. 700 felt like I had something left in the tank, but I also spent a lot of energy getting ready for it. After that I just called it rather than do another single--I figured there was little to no benefit and at worse, I'd miss something or get hurt. Deadlift training's done now, and I get to rest up for the meet. For context, I pulled 640 with this setup leading into my Sept. meet, and I finished that one with a 573 second attempt and a near-miss on 589. If all goes well, I'd need 617 or less, and I feel pretty OK about that even though I haven't "tested" my single's strength.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iowapowerlifting.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:40 am

So fucking excite

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SSchwartsenator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Are you liftan Saturday or Sunday at RUM?

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:55 pm

I'm Saturday am.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:59 pm

More loggy.

Paused Bench Press
300x5
310x5
320x3

Squats
450x3x2
405x10

Notes: Benchy felt very strong, and the last two sets are both PRs. I'm still dealing with tendonitis but it was more manageable this time, and I'm essentially only training three times this week: squat, bench, and squat/bench. I got in all the work that I could before it started to flare up, ramped up the exertion and got as high in intensity as I was able to, and then called it for more rest. Overall, it's really clicked the last week and a half, but it's time to make sure I feel good for the meet.

The same can't be said for the squat; laying off the volume has helped my body heal up and physically feel great, but my squat progress has slowed way down the last couple of weeks. The good news is that I'm still making progress, but it's creeping forward now, whereas earlier I was seeing big jumps with each session. 450x3 felt great on the first set and miserable on the second, so I called it there and just did a 405x10 to wrap it up. Everything looked much better than it felt, and the bar-speed at 90%+ is getting better, so I am getting stronger, even if it doesn't always feel like it.

My weight's stabilized and though it'll be a big cut, it's not so big that I worry about making it. I'm going to use an IV this time, so that will help me with my recomp. My body has been pretty carb depleted and I know my diet isn't doing my any favors right now, so I've got one more day for a carb increase, and I'll time it before my last session this Saturday. After that day, I'm at no carbs for the week.

Otherwise, that's about it. On Saturday the "goal" is to get up to 350 on the bench and 500 on the squat, but those are arbitrary numbers and the most important thing is that I perform a moderately-difficult-but-still-safe single attempt on both lifts. 340 and 490 would be fine; as long as I get a feel for where I stand and get in the range of a second attempt. I don't think the numbers will be a problem, as I have a better idea of where I stand now, and I'll just be careful not to miss anything. I'd like the same performance as I had deadlifting.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:39 pm

Squats
485x1
500x1

Paused Bench Press
345x1

Notes: Today was my last day of training for RUM; the plan was to work up to a single at an approximate second attempt on both my squat and bench press. I wanted something hard-but-not-missable, and I probably ended up undershooting by a tad on both, but I'd much rather undershoot than overshoot, and I really, really didn't want to miss something. So, I'm happy with how the day went.

Not knowing how my squat would go, I took 485 for a first single and that went well, definitely much smoother than any weight in that range has moved. I went up to 500 for a single and that also went well and moved slightly faster than the first rep on a 480 double did two weeks ago. In restrospect, I could have maybe chosen a bit bigger number, but this was still a reasonably difficult single and it gives me a good idea of where I currently stand.

I squatted first, and by the end of it, my tendonitis had really flared up, so everything from 185 on with the bench press hurt like hell on the final two inches of the eccentric. I was feeling better until wrapping knees a couple days ago, and I ended up doing more work than I should have and really flared it back up. I did a 315 single that hurt like hell and thought about stopping, but I really wanted to be successful today, and I knew one more single wasn't going to set me back, so I opted for 345 and got psyched up enough to remove a lot of the pain and bench it pretty cleanly.

It's hard for me to gauge my squat because I'm so inconsistent with my technique, but I'm guessing I had another 15 lbs. left on the bench, so it was an appropriate call. Now it's time to rest up and heal up, and a good week off should take care of the tendonitis.

So, if I recomp well and feel great at the meet, the sky's the limit, but I will be choosing conservative attempts to build a total. I'm looking forward to having a good time and possibly surprising myself. I haven't kept it a secret that I have a lot riding on this one, but this is also the first time since my first couple of meets where I've just been excited to go in and do the lifts and challenge myself with bigger numbers. Maybe that comes from making aggressive progress and not knowing exactly what I'm capable of.

For those that read this, thanks much. I'll post info on the stream when it becomes available to me.

Back to top Go down
GFou
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:56 am

Good luck, Kyle!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:16 am

GFou wrote:
Good luck, Kyle!

Thank you George!
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:37 am

Okay, after a few weeks away, I'm starting my log back up again.

A quick recap: I competed at RUM VIII on Feb. 7th and totaled 1482 (no wraps, 8-for-9) at 148 to break Tony Conyers' existing world record of 1466. I finished with a 512 squat, 347 bench press, and 622 deadlift. This was my last meet at 148, as I've just about outgrown the weightclass and started this cut from just over 167. The week in Florida was great, but between stress at home, cutting the weight, botching an IV after weigh-ins and pumping saline into my bicep, and rebounding higher than ever before, I'm glad to be back to a regular schedule.

So, that was a lifetime dream accomplished. Since then, I started working at a private gym as a trainer and have been doing online programming. Thanks to breaking the record, the work has taken off and I now have more than I can deal with. The perks of being a "professional" powerlifter, I suppose.

As far as training goes, after the meet I already had a plan in place for what would be next. I will move up to 165 and return to competition next year. There is an outside chance I will go to 181 but my basic goal is just to get bigger and stronger and worry about weight class when the time comes. I'm guessing that'll be 165 though. Not to make guarantees, but I think I could do 1600+ unwrapped in my first meet at 165.

Since the meet, I have come off of my supplements and will be making a decision regarding my future on that in the next couple of months. It's not a matter of "if," but of "what." In the meanwhile, I'm trying to add a bit of size and start to develop a physique base. I've felt better and more filled out at my current bodyweight of 175, and I will keep my weight at that point as I slowly recomp and work to become bigger and leaner. I'd be really happy if I could be 180 at a similar body-fat for next year's RUM.

Training has been good, just interrupted. When I came back from the meet, I felt lousy for the first week, and I've been taking time to let all my aches and pains, including my bicepital tendonitis, heal. I've been doing a lot of hypertrophy work and that's started to pay off. I've been much stronger at this bodyweight and when I have done compound movement work, it's felt good--I did 225x15 and 250x10 with my feet up and a narrow grip on bench, 225x20 on the floor press, pause-deadlifted 405x8 for sets really easily until I had to call the session, and squatted 315x20 with a belt and 400x9 beltless.

Over the weekend I got sick, and I'm trying to get through it. I'm taking a couple days off of training because I end up throwing up every time I really exert myself. Once I come back, I'll start logging again.

Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:46 am

That is all great stuff. Really happy to hear that the online programming has taken off so well. So, are you no longer at the job position you originally moved to Des Moines for, or are you doing all of these things in a addition to that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:01 am

Andy Awad wrote:
That is all great stuff.  Really happy to hear that the online programming has taken off so well.  So, are you no longer at the job position you originally moved to Des Moines for, or are you doing all of these things in a addition to that?

I work at an Elite Edge gym now as a trainer, and I'm there 4:30-1 Monday-Friday. The hours took some getting used to but I get paid more hourly than I was at WF and the work is infinitely more enjoyable. The plan is for me to do personal training in the early mornings and teach some of the strength-based classes. We're also talking about hosting a powerlifting seminar on March 14th. So, yeah, I am there full-time and doing programming on the side. Originally, I thought I'd be there part-time at best, but I was fortunate--given the meet performance and the fact that they think I can do a good job--to have them make a bigger investment in me.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:08 am

Haha that's just great! Those hours would take a bit of getting used to lol. I'm really happy to hear all of that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:22 am

lol, thanks man. I volunteered for them, as I've been told by a few PT friends that 5-7 is prime time for training clients. It's our busiest time in the gym because most people are there before work. Once I'm more established, I can afford to be pickier!
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:11 pm

Do I even log?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:26 pm

Paused Deadlifts
425x8x3
450x8

Notes: Not much to say really. I really kicked the crap out of last cycle's performance with these. My strength is great right now with the extra bodyweight but my conditioning is terrible, even by fat powerlifter standards, and I need to make that more of a focus in the future. I've gained a bit of mass over the last month and if I'm lucky, a pound or two might actually be muscle. I'm not going to hold my breath though. Nor could I; I'm still out of it from deadlifting.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:12 pm

Beltless Squats
375x8x2

Paused Beltless Squats
375x5
395x5

Single-Legged Leg Extensions
One-million sets

Notes: I need to squat more. I mean, I need to do everything more, but I definitely need to squat more. My strength is great and I could probably get stronger with some actual programming, but again, my work capacity is lousy and it needs to improve for me to get in the sessions.

The good news is that the beltless work was very easy and 395x5 beltless with a pause is a big number for me. Now that I'm back training regularly, I'm going to sit down this week and write down SOMETHING for me to use for future training. For the first time since RUM, the motivation to train and get better is really coming back, so that's good!
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:24 pm

Keosawa wrote:
my conditioning is terrible, even by fat powerlifter standards

Have you forgotten who you're talking to? We can show you terrible conditioning lol. I've been getting out of breath when I tie my shoes. Some of that is just due to the increased pressure from my belly pushing against my belt, but it's beginning to frighten me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:43 am

Andy Awad wrote:
Keosawa wrote:
my conditioning is terrible, even by fat powerlifter standards

Have you forgotten who you're talking to?  We can show you terrible conditioning lol.  I've been getting out of breath when I tie my shoes.  Some of that is just due to the increased pressure from my belly pushing against my belt, but it's beginning to frighten me.

This is true! I struggle to put my socks on and I'm still tiny! I think it's just that I haven't been this size in a long while, and it's a weird feeling.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:50 am

Closer-Grip Feet-Up Bench with Slingshot
300x3
310x3
315x3

Pendlay Rows
225x8
250x8
275x8
295x8
315x7

Paused Beltless Squats
375x3
415x3
385x3
385x3

Notes: I didn't do much assistance over the last couple of days because I just got caught up in helping/spotting other people in the gym and de-emphasized my own training a little too much. Oh well. Such is life.

The last couple of days went fine. My stupid tendonitis is STILL not gone, and I keep having to take small steps to try and get rid of it. I'll stick with the slingshot for the foreseeable future because it at least allows me to train, and I'm going to run a longer bout of ibuprofen while trying to rest it as much as I can over the next week. There's no excuse for why this is still an issue!

I felt a little tired and achy after last weekend's volume, but squatting still went OK. I finished with a triple at 415; next session, I'm working up to a near-max single. My protocol for right now is bastardized DUP for squat and bench, high-frequency deadlifting, and a bunch of hypertrophy thrown into the second half of sessions. In other words, I'm trying to do everything at once, which is usually not a recipe for success, but we'll see how it goes.

Paused beltless squats went fine, I guess. 415 was easy enough and I wanted to take another set at 425-430, but my bar tilt is pretty ugly and I just didn't want to move up if I wasn't doing a good job controlling it. The squats felt like I paused them high and I was pretty stiff for the session. Beyond all of that crap, not too bad. I'm at least moving big weights pretty well and hitting good numbers, and the other stuff is correctable if I just keep working on it.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:50 am

Keosawa wrote:

Pendlay Rows
225x8
250x8
275x8
295x8
315x7

u strong
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:16 pm

I've learned that when my bicep tendonitis is acting up feet up benching is generally more aggravating than regular benching. I think it's because I don't arch as tight and the bar travels a little further and stresses the bicep muscles and tendons more, in addition to feeling like there's more stabilizing that my shoulders and biceps have to do. I don't know what your setup is like when your feet are up, but do you think with your setup feet up benching could be more aggravating than regular benching?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:52 pm

Andy Awad wrote:
I've learned that when my bicep tendonitis is acting up feet up benching is generally more aggravating than regular benching.  I think it's because I don't arch as tight and the bar travels a little further and stresses the bicep muscles and tendons more, in addition to feeling like there's more stabilizing that my shoulders and biceps have to do.  I don't know what your setup is like when your feet are up, but do you think with your setup feet up benching could be more aggravating than regular benching?

For whatever reason, it's actually been the opposite, and reduced-ROM work has hurt the worst (floor pressing is no bueno right now).
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:52 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
Keosawa wrote:

Pendlay Rows
225x8
250x8
275x8
295x8
315x7

u strong

315 was pretty sloppy though. I'll video it next time.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Just catching up on the last few days:

For bench, I've kept training volume to a minimum and hit a 330-lb. feet-up single with a closer grip and the reactive slingshot on my last session. It's really frustrating that my tendonitis is still an issue because I've lost a bit of pressing strength now, but I'm trying to be patient and really being strict about not re-aggravating it (as much as I can, anyway).

For deadlift, I finished my first meso with 440x8x2 and 440x10 off a 2" deficit. That all felt solid and the bar-speed was good, but my conditioning is still coming along slowly, so I'm thinking I'll re-run the first meso with pre-set numbers and just focus on getting in the reps. Deadlift feels really strong--maybe not as strong as at the meet but probably still strong enough to pull 620--and I finished about 35 lbs. above where I finished while in meet prep.

For squat, I've been working on my paused beltless squat and finished that microcycle with a 475-lb. single today. My plan was only to get to around 440, but the warm-ups felt easy and then 450 felt really light. 475 is right about where I opened at the meet and I felt like I was really stable with it; my shakey legs are gone now. My squat has benefited a ton from my weight gain and it should be a big mover this year.

Back to top Go down
badbackboi
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:59 pm

I'm sure you've encountered recommendations of eccentric rehab to treat tendinopathy but I've never seen you log anything like that. What are your thoughts? I've had incredible success on different tendons and several people I've recommended this to have told me it worked very well for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   

Back to top Go down

Kyle's New Training Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next