Share | 

"Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Conjugate W8D3

Dynamic Upper

Comp Bench:
>Warm up
>12x2 @ 150

Some of these sets were done back to back with as little as 10 sec in between sets and the last two sets I even combined into one. Bench felt great and moved fast (considering this was speed and technique work day I would consider it a success)

Accessories (trying to go for higher reps):
>Narrow Grip Bench: 3x8 @ 135
>Bent over rows: 3x16 @ 40kg (started with same width as my comp bench and after 8 reps I moved to my narrow grip width and switched to a supinated grip (to work my upper back and then my lats))
>Tricep push downs: 3x8 @ 8 on the machine
>Incline bench: 3x12 @ 27?

Today was the first time in a while where my tendinitis in my elbow/tricep has not bothered me. like it wasn't that the pain was less than usual.. it wasn't there at all. pretty neat. great session overall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 am

Conjugate W9D1

Max Lower

Box Squat:
>Warm up
>Max @ 375
>3x5 @ 285

Damn those are rough. i haven't done box squats since high school and they were probably awful then. I may have rocked too much on the box and I ended up more upright than my normal squat. Due to how I hit the box it also put a lot of pressure on my lower back so I'm probably not going to do these again any time soon. (at least 8 weeks). But these did a great job separating the movement and it was difficult to get off the box so it's going to help my power out of the hole.

Accessories (time crunch):
>Reverse Hyper: 3x10 @ 180
>Cheater DL: 3x5 @ 225 (trying to get the movement more comfortable since I've only been doing it consistently for a week)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:18 pm

Conjugate W9D2

Max upper

OHP:
>Warm up
>Max @ 55kg (~121lbs)
>Fail @ 60kg
>3x5 @ 42.5kg (~93.5lbs)

Felt good enough to go up to 135lbs but that did not happen. Overall felt good. This training sesh shall be know as "RIP Triceps."

Accessories:
>Narrow Grip Bench: 3x8 @ 60kg
>Incline Bench: 3x12 @ 40kg (did 15 on last set)
>Bent Over BB Row: 3x16 @ 40kg (first 8 wide grip pronated, second 8 narrow grip supanated)
>Floor Press: 3x12 @ 50kg
>Black Band Tricep Push Downs (small band like the skinny red ones at Magni): 4x25 (wanted 100 total reps RIP Triceps)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:25 pm

Conjugate W9D3

Dynamic Lower

Pause Squats:
>Warm up
>10x2 @ 120kg (~264lbs)

Cheater DL:
>Warm up
>8x1 @ 150kg (~330lbs)

Accessories:
>RDL: 3x10 @ 100kg
>Deep Long Pause Hi Bar: 3x3 @ 70kg (just trying to adjust the movement for when I do front squat in two weeks)

The vid shows sets 1, 5 and 10 of my squats and the first and last set of my deadlifts. I am also a master of video angles.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:25 pm

W9D4

Dynamic upper

Comp Bench:
>Warm up
>10x2 @ 160

kept rest shorter today. worked well.

Accessories:
>Narrow Grip Bench: 3x8 @ 135
>Bent over rows: 3x16 @ 95 (half wide grip half narrow grip)
>Hammer Curls: 3x8 @ 27 each hand
>Band Tricep Push downs (red band): 100 total reps (4x25)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:25 am

W10D1

Max Lower

High Block cheater Pulls:
>Warm up
>405
>425
>445
>Max @ 455
>3x5 @ 345 (~75%)

This range of motion is REALLY short but this is also the most difficult part of my cheater DL. So overloading this ROM can really help me.

Accessories:
>Kettlebell belly bouncing: lots with a light kettlebell (George Leeman (AKA best deadlifter NA) says these are his favorite ab exercise, lay down with a kettlebell on muh belly and push it up and down)

I didn't do anything else this morning as I was completely gassed. I am going to the training session later today and will probably do some accessories there. Will update.

Update:
>Paused Low Bar: 3x5 @ 100kg
>Front squat: 3x5 @ 70kg
>RDL: 3x8 @ 100kg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:21 pm

EXTRA TRAINING DAY:

I had an exam and then the rest of the day free so I decided to throw in an accessory day in order to provide some assistance work along with release from pretty much bombing my exam. I planned to give myself a little over an hour but since most of these accessories are more focused towards "bodybuilding" it only took like half an hour.

Long pause bench:
>5x3 @ 135

Bent over rows:
>3x8 @ 135 (didn't switch the grip mid set like I usually do)

Incline:
>3x8 @ 95 (this ended up working my triceps more than I wanted and was actually pretty difficult)

Hammer curls:
>4x15 @ 20s (I wanna have big arms too guys)

I mainly focused on upper body since im weakest there but I may have inadvertently screwed myself for my max effort upper movement tomorrow. If I want to do extra assistance days I should probably try to do them on Thursdays so it doesnt interfere with recovery in between my max effort days.

7.8/10 will plan better in the future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Conjugate W10D2

Did not screw myself by doing accessory day.

Max Upper

Narrow Grip w/ Bands (FH equivalent of Pro Mini Bands from EFS):
>Warm up
>70kg (x)
>65kg (easy, concluded that I mis-grooved the previous attempt by touching too high)
>Max @ 70kg (went up smoother than I anticipated but still was a bit of a grind through my sticking point and the lockout)
>3x5 @ 55kg w/ bands

Idea behind doing narrow grip with bands is to use a longer range of motion with accommodating resistance so that when I go for a max on comp bench next week the shorter ROM without resistance will make it feel better. Theory. We will see how it works out.

Accessories:
>Floor Press: 3x5 @ 135 (these moved really well, probably will progress these linearly as long as I can keep getting 3x5)
>Bent over rows: 3x16 (did switch grip thingy mid set, also focused on keeping my back tighter per Lorenzo's suggestion)
>INCLINE BENCH: 3x8 @ 50kg (again these moved really well and I will progress these linearly)

Finished with really light oly movements for supertotal meet, I most likely will not do very heavy (or even attempt really heavy) but I will do it nonetheless

Solid session. 9/10 figured out how to use bands in oly room
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:15 pm

ANOTHER EXTRA DAY:

I will probably keep one of these extra days so I can get some extra work for my upper body cuz I want my freakin bench to go up.

>Seated Row Pull Thingys: 3x12 @ 120lbs
>Long pause bench (5 count pause): 5x3 @ 135
>Tricep Push Downs: 3x10 @ 84
>Machine High Rows: 3x12 @ 2 pl8s

>Hammer Curls: 6x12 @ 25 ea hand (first two sets did 15 reps)

I will probably keep this thursday accessory day so I can have a full day of recovery in between max effort but I will definitely keep this day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:28 am

Conjugate W10D3

Dynamic Lower

Pause Squats:
>Warm up
>8x2 @ 280

These felt meh. I wasn't feeling 100% and I was having issues getting a tight upper back and squats were kind of suffering in the last few sets.

Cheater DL:
>6x1 @ 315

Lying Hamstring Curls:
>3x12 @ 100lbs

I was not feeling 100% today since I'm starting to feel sick and I didn't eat more than pop tarts for breakfast and the sun was in my eyes. Srs though my left hip was feeling tighter than normal and actually kind of hurt during deadlifts.

Session was meh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Conjugate W10D4

Dynamic Upper

Comp Bench:
>Warm up
>8x2 @ 170

Bench moved really well today. I'm starting to get really comfortable and I am actually enjoying bench now. What's wrong with me?

Accessories:
>Close Grip bench: 3x8 @ 135 (these felt good. will probably increase on a weekly basis)
>Mixed grip bent over rows: 3x16 (8 with each grip)
>Hammer Curls: 3x10 @ 27 each hand

Overall this was a good session. I am doing a max effort on comp bench this Wednesday... much excite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:30 pm

Conjugate W11D1

MAX EFFORT FRONT SQUATS
>Warm up
>Max @ 140kg (~308lbs) (SUPER FREAKING HAPPY ABOUT THIS 22LB PR)
>3x5 @ 105kg (~75%)

These drop down sets are always brootal so it took me around an hour to finish all of my squats.

Accessories:
>RDL: 3x8 @ 100kg
>Hip thruster bridges thingys: 3x8 @ 70kg (I can definitely do more weight but these freakin hurt, maybe I'm just not accustomed to having a barbell rest on my hip flexor)
>Long pause low bar squat: 5?x2 @ 100kg (pause like 5 count for each rep just to get the movement pattern down since I didn't do low bar as a main movement today)
>Kettlebell belly bounce ab work: 3x10 @ i dont remember

dis was gud session (will update with vid of squats)

UPDATE WITH VID:

Obviously front squats are not my best movement. on the last one there are 3 clear things that I can see need fixing. Tightness in the hole, my weight shifts forward on the ascent, and back rounding towards the top.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Conjugate W11D2

Max Effort Upper

Comp Bench:
>Warm up
>Max @ 90kg (~198lbs) (I'm happy with the fact that I was able to hit a 200ish bench with a decent pause again. It also moved better than the last time I got this weight, still slow but a lot better AND unassisted since last time zach bumped it through the sticking point)
>3x5 @ 70kg (~155lbs) (these all moved really well)

Accessories:
>Narrow Grip Bench: 3x10 @ 60kg (~132lbs) (I'm going to up the weight next week)
>Bent over rows: 3x16 w/ grip switch @ 50kg (will up the weight next week since this was easy)
>Floor Press: 3x5 @ 60kg (~132lbs) (I'm really week her but I'm going to try to increase this a little next week)

I'm putting more thought into what to focus on with bench. My lockout is weakest so I feel that floor press is going to be very beneficial. I am also thinking about implementing board presses into my dynamic days (ex. cutting the last few normal dynamic sets and doing a board progression with that same weight using higher reps) or even implementing board press as a max effort. Or possibly after every max effort to do some volume with competition bench to just do it more often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:40 pm

Conjugate W12D1

Max Effort Lowr

Deficit DL:
>Warm up
>Max @ 185kg (~407lbs so 2lb PR bounce )
>3x5 @ 145kg (~319lbs)

eh. form broke down a little. weights felt really light moving up to the top set. I felt like I had more strength to do more but I felt form giving way so I stopped.

Accessories:
>RDL: 3x5 @ 120kg (~264lbs) (upper back was losing tightness. this is as much as a back accessory as a lower body accessory for me)
>Low bar pause squats: 3x3 @ 90kg (just did this to get the motor pattern in. iwas gassed from main movement.)

t minus 1 week till low bar max.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:50 pm

Conjugate W12D2

Max Upper

3board Press:
>Warm up
>225 (x)
>Max @ 215
>3x5 @ 170

Jumped from 205 to 225 and wasn't prepared for the weight jump. 215 was a grinder but I can probably get to 225 on this next time I try.

Accessories (done later in the day at the training session):
>Comp bench: 3x5 @ 70kg
>Floor Press: 3x5 @ 70kg (only got 4 and then 2 on the last two sets, gonna stick with this weight until it gets good enough to go up)
>BB Row (grip switch): 3x16 @ 60kg (will do this again next week and I may go up the next week)

didn't do as many accessories as I was helping with the 6 people benching on one platform and assisting with a new guy learning form. still good training session and got some good volume in.

yeet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Conjugate W12D3

Dynamic Lower

Decided to continue into a 4th week of pause squats so I can just start next week after competition squat PR

Pause squats:
>Warm up
>8x1 @ 135kg (~297lbs)

these all moved really well. fast and consistent.

hi bar/front squat
>wanted to do one of these movements but my hip was giving some issue and would've been very uncomfortable even at light weight.

cheater DL:
>buncha singles @ 150kg (~330lbs)

I seem to be having trouble getting additional work during the training sessions at the field house. I just need to focus a little more and make sure to get all my work sets done in a timely manner and get my accessories in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:52 pm

Conjugate W12D4

Dynamic Upper

Again, I added a 4th week so I can restart the wave next week.

Comp bench:
>Warm up
>8x1 @ 180 (90%)

These all moved really well and speed was consistent.

Accessories:
>Floor Press: 3x5 @ 155 (this was difficult, once I get 3x8 relatively easy I will increase the weight)
>BB Rows: 3x16 @ 60kg (with switching the grip in the middle of the set)

solid sesh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:51 pm

Conjugate W13D1

Max effort lower

Comp Squat:
>Warm up
>Max @ 160kg (352lbs)
>Fail 170kg (374lbs)
>3x5 @ 125kg (275lbs)

I haven't done a comp squat max since July, and that was with wraps. Today I only used sleeves and tied my max from wrapped squats. I REALLY WANTED 374. I brought nose tork and didn't use it and I almost threw up on the 374 attempt. I completely crushed the 160kg, I probably had another 10lbs in my but not enough to get 374 apparently.

Accessories:
>lift offs and spots: 12xAMRAP
>RDL: 3x8 @ 100kg (these were good as far as intensity since I was gassed at the end)
>kettlebell belly pushes: 3x12 @ idk (since doing these I my core feels stronger, especially when using a belt)

will update with a vid

EDIT:

looking at the video I stopped pretty much right out of the hole so I will probably work with some pause squats out of the hole to work this weak point
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:33 pm

Conjugate W13D2

Max Effort Upper

Narrow Grip Bench:
>Warm up
>Max @ 90kg (198lbs)
>95kg (x)
>3x5 @ 70kg (154lbs)

So this ties my comp bench. K. The max and the drop down sets actually felt a lot better than comp bench. one thing that I noticed is that, just standing, one of my shoulders sits lower than the other. so since this movement is different than comp bench as far as the shoulder movement, I may feel more stable. it's probably a alignment issue in my back causing me to have weird posture.

Accessories:
>Floor Press: 3x5 @ 70kg (154lbs) (will probably go for a 3x8 next time)
>BB Rows: 3x16 @ 60kg (switching grip halfway through)
>Kettlebell belly bounces: 3x12 @ I don't remember

Overall good session.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:26 pm

Conjugate W13D3

Dynamic Lower

Low bar squat:
>Warm up
>12x2 @ 270

Low Bar with pause out of the hole:
>Warm up
>3x5 @ 200 (pretty easy)

DL:
>Warm up
>3x2 @ 225 w/ orange bands (cheater style)
>1x2 @ same (conventional)

I can do more weight with cheater but even at lighter weight conventional feels better.

I was crunched for time so this is all I did. Squats really didn't feel that good. Left hip is still bothering me. Probably going to change my program to more volume oriented work with more specificity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:44 pm

Conjugate W13D4

Dynamic Upper

Comp Bench:
>Warm up
>12x2 @ 150 (75%)

So I changed up my form and set up a little bit. I think this change is very beneficial and I will see how it works as I progress. Will explain set up and form changes later.

Accessories:
>Narrow Grip Bench: 3x5 @ 145
>Lat Pull Downs: 3x16 @ 11 on machine at Magni
>Incline: 3x5, 1x3 @ 135

So, previously I was doing: heels up bench with a mini swing in the set up. First I changed this swing to putting my feet on the bench and digging my traps and shoulders into the bench (this helps me get consistent tightness and placement under the bar, making unracking easier while being able to get a centered position). With the mini swing I had before, I would never bench in the same spot and I had to un-rack the weight a long distance. Feet down, using flats. I don't know but I could incorporate better leg drive and with the new set up I was still able to keep most of my arch from heels up position. And with my feet flat I also feel a bit more stable initiating leg drive.

Here be vid:

vid shows form work from earlier in the day (did a bunch of triples at 135 to nail the set up). and shows sets 3, 8 and 12 from my main work later in the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Conjugate W14D1

Max effort lower

3 rep conventional DL
>warm up
>374 x 3
>Max @ 385 x 3
>3x5 @ 264 (beltless)

Probably switching back to conventional. inb4 I told you so. cheater did a number on my hips and made squatting not fun. working on lower back strength since that is an obvious weak point for me using snatch grip dl and probably some front squats.

Accessories:
>snatch grip DL: 3x5 @ 154lbs (did a single before this set and smashed into manhood. cant grip the bar wider since im all the way out as it is)
>RDL: 3x6 @ 220lbs

Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:00 pm

Conjugate W14D2

Max effort Upper:
>Warm up
>Max @ 90kg (198lbs so that's like a 23lb PR)
>3x5 @ 70kg (154lbs)

The max actually didn't feel that heavy and I probably had more in me. I did something weird to my thumb (like pinched a nerve or something). It went away later in the session but this probably caused me to shift a little bit and mis-groove.

Accessories:
>Close grip bench: 3x5 @ 154lbs
>Incline: 2x5 1xAMRAP (9) @ 132lbs
>BB Rowes: 3x8 @ 132lbs (will increase weight, first set was 16 with changing the grip)
>Floor Press: 3x5 @ 154lbs
>OHP: 3x6 @ 88lbs

tl:dr wide grip bench is same as comp bench and narrow grip so everything is equally bad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:19 pm

Conjugate W14D3

Dynamic Lower

Low Bar:
>Warm up
>10x2 @ 285 (80%)

These overall felt really good. I didn't really have a consistent stance width until the last 3 or so sets and those were arguably my best sets of teh night. Going just a couple inches narrower than usual felt real nice.

DL:
>8x1 @ 315 (real quick)

RDL:
>3x5 @ 225

Kind of an uneventful night. Didn't do a whole lot. Still had a good session tho.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
junkerarmy
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:27 pm

Conjugate W14D4

Dynamic Upper

Comp Bench:
>Warm up
>10x2 @ 160 (80%)

These all moved well again. Speed was pretty consistent through all the sets and had a consistent set up (improved from old set up)

Accessories:
>Feet up narrow grip: 3x8 @ 135
>Lat Pull downs: 3x10 @ 12 on machine
>Incline: 3x5 @ 135

Magni mock meet lies almost exactly 7 weeks before the January meet. I cant get a real good idea of where my lifts are going into a "meet prep" phase. Still unsure of what I'm going to do for that.

Shows sets 2, 6 and 10 and Daves 355x5 DL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log   

Back to top Go down

"Gains on the horizon." : Jacob's Training Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next