Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chris Anderson's Training Log

Go down 
+9
babyeater
Monty Python
DieselWeasel
Seth
Keosawa
Nathan Poage
KevinAlvy
GFou
Chris Anderson
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson's Training Log Empty
PostSubject: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:58 pm

First, a little detail on what I do:
Just started a Westside-style split, with upper/lower heavy days, and upper/lower speed days. Main lifts for heavy days are on a four-week rotation, working up to a top set (usually singles, but occasionally doubles or triples), and then my assistance lifts. Speed work is done with just straight weight, no bands or chains as of yet.

I'll copy the last week of workouts I've done onto here:

10/28- Lower dynamic
Speed squats: 8x2@225
Speed pulls: 8x2@250
Standing leg curl machine
45* back raises
Goblet squats
Planks

10/30- Upper dynamic
Speed bench: 10x3@135
Chins
Rear delt raises
DB rows

11/1- Lower heavy
Front squat- worked to 350x1
Romanian deadlifts
KB sidebends

11/2- Upper heavy
DB bench- worked to 115'sx1
Pin presses
Paused wide grip bench
Dips

Last edited by Chris Anderson on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GFou
Class II
Class II
GFou

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:32 pm

mirin' that 350 front squat
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 11:27 pm

GFou wrote:
mirin' that 350 front squat

I am grape jelly
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 11:57 pm

Definitely add bands to your DE lifts. They make your accelerate through the lift a lot more effectively.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 2:43 pm

The thing with bands is that I'm not really sure which ones to get from EFS. As of now I'm thinking of getting a set of Pro Lights, Pro Short Minis, and maybe a Pro Average. I really wish EFS would organize their site in a way that you could clearly see which ones would be best for various lifters.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 10:24 pm

http://www.elitefts.com/images/PICTURES/short-bands/short-band-calibrations.jpg
http://articles.elitefts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Long-band-calibrations.jpeg

IMO anything stronger than the black bands are overkill
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 12:46 am

For most uses the bands at the CRWC are fine. Green bands looped under the bench work great for speed bench and squat days. You can probably use purple for speed overhead press if you wanted. The blue ones add a ton of resistance at the top though so you might want to test them out before going heavy on squats.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 4:59 pm

11/5-Lower dynamic

Speed squats 8x2
Speed pulls 8x2
Leg curls
45* back raises
Goblet squats
Planks

11/6-Upper dynamic

Speed bench 10x3
Chins
DB rows
face pulls

Had a long night Friday so I had to push lower dynamic back a day.

Going to play around with some bands tomorrow or Thursday, as well as order a couple extras for when the CRWC ones don't fit what I want to do. A mini and short monster mini should be enough to fill all possible needs. I don't have access to bands back home so I also gotta have something for when Thanksgiving and Christmas break roll around.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 9:23 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
http://www.elitefts.com/images/PICTURES/short-bands/short-band-calibrations.jpg
http://articles.elitefts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Long-band-calibrations.jpeg

IMO anything stronger than the black bands are overkill

These band tension charts are reliable, but you can manipulate the band tension for smaller bands to get heavy resistance. Logan and I sometimes do low rack pulls with quadrupled long mini-bands (a band looped through a dumbbell twice so that hanging over the barbell four times per band), and the resistance there is well over 150 lbs. at the top for me, let alone him. Keep in mind that these are low rack pulls, and I'm short, so it's not like we're pulling the bands six feet or anything. I know it's over 150 lbs. (I think it's around 200) because the first time I tried this, I used 75-lb. dumbbells, and I pulled them both a good couple inches off the ground on my first rep.

So, in other words, with long bands you can really manipulate the band tension by using different setups and experimenting. Obviously, you can't quite do the same with short bands (because they're, well, shorter). You can always increase tension by manipulating smaller bands, but you can't exactly lessen the tension of a heavy blue band, unless you start doing crazy shit, like hanging smaller reverse bands to counter some of the pull.

Oh, and the great thing about using a smaller long band and doubling or quadrupling it is that the change in resistance is much more severe. If your goal is to develop bar-speed through accommodating resistance, this method seems to work well (at least for me), because the difference in resistance is much greater than with a single heavy-duty band. I'd imagine short bands would offer something similar, but I've never used them.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Went to the gym at about 5:30 today, was going to play around with some bands and such.

Good god that place is a zoo. I'm going back at 9 or so, once it's (hopefully) cleared out.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Alright, finally got a chance to play around with some bands. Only did a few quick sets of various lifts, will do more experimentation as I go on, but basically:

Green bands are going to be great for band squats/reverse band squats (especially liked reverse band squats because the band doesn't pull me backwards out of the rack), and a mini band should help add some variety.

I found that I can get away with only using one band for speed pulls if I just lay it on top of the bar and put my feet on top of it as it lays on the ground. Short mini bands should come in handy here, I like not having to loop it around a rack or anything.

Didn't do much experimenting with bench, but I had a hard time stretching a purple band underneath the bench. Will probably use a mini band here, or put a bench in the rack and use the band pegs, for convenience sake.

Going to order a pair of minis and and short monster minis now. Hope EFS can get it here by Saturday or so, but I doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 9:00 pm

11/8-lower heavy

Deficit deads-worked up to 425x3.

Bent over rows
RDL's
KB side bends

I used two 25lb plates stacked on each other for the deficit. Dunno how tall that is, maybe 3-4". Today felt really good. Lots of straining but the weight felt smooth. I need more days like this.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 7:54 pm

11/9 Upper heavy

Floor press: worked to 255x3

Pin presses
Paused wide grip bench
Dips

I have no idea if 255x3 is a good floor press for where my competition bench is. Anybody here know what a "normal" correlation between floor press and a full bench press is?

My bands should get here tomorrow. Yay.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Got my bands today. I ordered a Mini and Short Monster Mini, but they sent me a long Monster Mini instead. Called customer service and I should be getting my Short Monster Mini within a couple days.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 5:23 pm

11/11- Lower dynamic

Speed box squats: 8x2@200+mini bands
Speed deadlifts: 8x2@245+mini bands
Back raises w/bands
Goblet squats
Planks

Loving my bands, EFS should be shipping out my short monster mini bands tomorrow. Hopefully they aren't expecting me to send the long monster minis back, because they aren't going to get them.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 9:14 pm

11/13- upper dynamic

Speed bench: 10x3 @ 120lb+mini band
30 neutral grip chins
Band face pulls
DB rows

First time getting to use bands for speed bench, I really liked it. Adds a whole new dimension to my speed work.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 9:00 pm

11/15- Lower heavy

Good mornings: worked up to 315x2, +10lb, +1rep PR
Bent over rows
RDL's
KB side bends

Bent rows were feeling light, so I added a couple sets and did 5x5 instead of 3x5. I'm now using the heaviest kettlebell the gym has for side bends, so I'm going to have to start using dumbbells now.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 10:00 pm

how deep do you go on GMs. no homo
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Not super deep, I keep my back arched the entire time, but I feel a good hamstring stretch the entire time. I try to get my back as close to parallel to the ground as I can.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 7:31 pm

11/16-Upper heavy

Close grip bench: worked up to 260x2
Paused wide grip bench
Pin press
Dips

Okay, so my close grip bench is officially better than my competition grip bench. Louie Simmons says that to get a bigger bench, you need to train the triceps, so here's to hoping he's right.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 12:36 am

Chest strength is much more important for raw benching
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 12:36 am

Chest/delt strength is much more important for raw benching
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 8:34 am

We'll find out, I guess. The wide grip stuff will help with pec strength, and I've been working on the pause a lot more too. If all else fails, I can always try out geared lifting.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 11:49 am

Unfortunately you can't take everything Papa Louie says to heart since he trains his guys with gear. In most cases, chest strength is going to be what limits you. My best increases in bench seem to come from dips.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 12:21 pm

This is true, but the DB press and wide grip bench will help my chest strength as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chris Anderson's Training Log
Page 1 of 28Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 28  Next