Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Janis Finkelman's log

Go down 
+9
Logan Joseph
agleckler
Chris Anderson
KevinAlvy
Seth
GFou
Nathan Poage
Keosawa
babyeater
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 1:53 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
babyeater wrote:

note here: the 119 x 4 was a rep PR and also a real grinder on the 4th rep. IT doesn't actually look quite as bad on video as it felt, but sheeeeeit was it not textbook.
I've found that this is how a lot of my lifts go. I will feel like something is slow as fuck and a real grinder, and then I look at the video and I'm like "fuck, that was easy." I really don't know how to strain through a lift whatsoever.
The thing is, it's pretty important on me with bench NOT to really grind it out, because I tend to really lose position when I do so. It's just not something I want to be doing excessively, so I try to keep the RPE's reasonable. BUT this was a freaking AMRAP so okay. It's all good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.babyeaterlifts.wordpress.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 2:23 pm

I very rarely grind anything. The majority of my "heavy" work is around 80-85%, at most.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
I very rarely grind anything. The majority of my "heavy" work is around 80-85%, at most.
Yeah, this really became my policy on bench (and squat, but even more bench) and only now is my programming starting to make that standard a little difficult. I might be adjusting it for bench and squat pretty soon.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 5:23 pm

8/20/2013

heavy squat

bar x 6
bar x 6
95 x 4
125 x 3
145 x 1
165 x 1
180 x 1
188 x 5
188 x 2
188 x 2

paused squat
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 6

seated leg press
180 x 20
180 x 19
180 x 17

prone hamstring curls
70 x 15
70 x 14
65 x 14

leg extensions
60 x 15
60 x 15
55 x 13

8/21/2013

volume paused bench

bar x 5
bar x 5
bar x 5
75 x 4
85 x 3
95 x 8
95 x 8
95 x 8
95 x 8
95 x 8

incline db press
70 x 11
70 x 9
70 x 9

neutral-grip pulldowns
100 x 10
100 x 10
90 x 9

overhead tricep pushdowns
bunch x 3 sets

seated unilateral iso rows
60 x 11
60 x 10
60 x 10

8/23/2013

deadlift

135 x 3
185 x 2
225 x 2
255 x 1
275 x 1
285 x 4
285 x 3
285 x 3

Barbell hip thrusts with extended hold at top
185 x 7
185 x 9
185 x 8
185 x 8
185 x 8

pull-ups
11, 8, 7, 6

GHRs, lowest possible setting
15, 15, 15, 14

quad extensions
75 x 13
65 x 15
65 x 12

8/24/2013

volume squat, beltless

bar x 7
bar x 7
95 x 4
120 x 3
130 x 2
140 x 7
140 x 7
140 x 7
140 x 7
140 x 7

good mornings
130 x 9
130 x 9
130 x 9

seated hamsting
55 x 20
60 x 17
60 x 17

quad extensions
60 x 14
60 x 15
60 x 13

abductor work
bunch

8/25/2013

heavy paused bench

bar x 5
bar x 5
bar x 5
85 x 4
95 x 3
105 x 2
115 x 1
122 x 2
122 x 3
122 x 2
122 x 2

lying DB press, cumulative weight
90 x 10
90 x 9
90 x 8

chin-ups
13, 9, 7, 7

overhead cable pushdowns
bunch x 3 sets

facepulls

seated iso rows

8/27/2013

heavy squat
bar x 7
bar x 6
95 x 3
125 x 3
145 x 1
165 x 1
185 x 1
198 x 2 1R PR and also 2R PR.
200 x 2 added two pounds to get to 200 and then squated that for a double. 200 is now my 1RM...that I have squatted for a double.
200 x 1

paused squats
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

fake hack squat
170 x 18
170 x 15
150 x 17

quad extensions
70 x 13
70 x 12
60 x 14

abductors
140 x 16
140 x 15
140 x 15

Notes: yeah, I keep my log primarily in a google doc. So I actually DO log my training regularly, it's just not always regular on forums. That aside, here's how I'm feeling about my training right now:

Largely, good. Highlights include a 300 x 3 deadlift rep PR, a BUNCH of rep PRs on bench, some slow but steady progress on the squat with reaching the milestone of the 200 club as well as a 188 x 5 squat set in recent squat sessions. That said, I have a very skewed idea of my own lifting. I am highly aware of the top numbers in the 114 weight class and my deadlift is the only lift of the three that significantly competes with other lifters in the class. That, of course, is probably enough to give me a solid total at 114, but I just cannot ignore the comparable lag in my squat and bench. Where once a 200 squat seemed like an achievement to work towards and eventually celebrate, I am probably not as enthused about it now as I should be. I don't do well with keeping things in perspective when it comes to the competitive aspect of the sport. Perhaps if my deadlift weren't comparably in relation to the other two lifts I wouldn't feel this way about them. I find it somewhat embarrassing that my deadlift is as strong as it is and my other two lifts are so much lower--the sense that I'm doing something wrong or somehow a "fraud" as a lifter exists for me because of this discrepancy.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 7:02 pm

There is but one thing to do.

Discover you are equally good at overhead work, and start doing strongman. Woman.

Strong Woman.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.

Oh god, I am NOT proportioned for it. Also, not particularly good at anything overhead, just kind of average. Nope, I'll stick to what I'm doing, and maybe be good enough in 10 years.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:48 pm

I mean, at my peak, my deadlift was my best lift, and I've always been a pretty good presser. If I didn't have such tiny rat claw hands, strongman would be my shit.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 10:18 pm

hahaha, rat claw, I like that. I have gorilla hands.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Alright, I haven't logged in a while obvious.jpg. So I'm just going to post what I did this past week, most of it in Madison. My visit to Madison is one of the reasons I went on a hiatus from logging--my mother required my attention 90% of the time, which was really okay, as that mostly involved either following her around shopping or watching a Korean drama that I am now addicted to and must finish the last 8 episodes of.

Note that all benching here was paused. I don't do TNG, yo:

Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 NSq4E6I

I do want to go over a highlight or two from this past week. Almost everything I did, aside from the deadlift, was part of this semi-deload thing I'm doing with my programming. Basically, I've reset weights, reconfigured set schemes, and now am building back up to a suitable pre-meet peak intensity range. So I actually had a heavy squat session this past week that was under 90%, and my volume bench day was easy as sh*t. My deadlift day was a big one, and heading over to a different gym than I normally pull at had me somewhat nervous. I really wanted to go in there and at least hit 305 x 2, and when I started warming up I KNEW I was ON that day. I definitely didn't pull with a deadlift bar, which was fine, but I've realized that pulling with iron plates as opposed to bumpers is MUCH better for me when I need to rep out sets. Too bad--won't have access to that setup anytime soon. Man though, did it feel good. I had little to no fatigue from the pulling except in my mid-to-upper back the next day, which may have come from doing slow-ass eccentrics on some of the pull-ups. It probably did.

I thought about my lifting and my self-conception a lot over the past week while away. It was the first time I've realized that my self-denigration is a serious problem and that I have to make a choice about continuing on with it and allowing it to impact my training and future success or trying to address it actively now. I think that for a while before I just accepted it as "the way that I am" which, in my defense, is somewhat fair as it's just true. I have a long history of being deeply dissatisfied with things that I do--and I mean ANYTHING I do--and it seems to be built into the way I operate. That said, I have evidence that I can think in other ways and respond to my performance in other ways. I believe that I can change with work, and this past week, I took steps to do that work in the gym. Reinforcing positives in attempts to change an attitude--i.e., not saying "I shouldn't think x way" but instead thinking "let's try thinking about it this way"--is helpful. Focusing on the sense of excelling I sometimes feel--if fleetingly--while lifting and knowing that I have the potential to grow into that more consistently also played a part in my efforts this week.

It's really hard to overcome the sense of shame that I feel when I know others are witnessing my efforts. I know that's it's ludicrous to feel shame over something as innocent as training, but I really have for months now. I have often felt as if I need to apologize for how sub-par I am to...some unknown entity or mass conscience. I don't know why. No one's counting on me to grow into an amazing lifter aside from myself. If there's anything a relatively indifferent collective conscience has for a developing lifter, it's infinite patience. Perhaps I would be justified in the shame if I were someone followed by hundreds or thousands--and really, not even then--but I'm not. And so the root of this shame is illogical and probably the root of my self-denigration. I can stop it, and I think I have the potential to really do so within the year.

Last edited by babyeater on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Why couldn't you use the non-bumper plates at the CRWC for pulling? There's no rule saying you have to use bumper plates on the platform, and the flooring is shitty as it is, so there is not much reason to use bumper plates if they don't work as well for you.
Back to top Go down
Hfadel
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 4:30 pm

babyeater wrote:
Alright, I haven't logged in a while obvious.jpg. So I'm just going to post what I did this past week, most of it in Madison. My visit to Madison is one of the reasons I went on a hiatus from logging--my mother required my attention 90% of the time, which was really okay, as that mostly involved either following her around shopping or watching a Korean drama that I am now addicted to and must finish the last 8 episodes of.

Note that all benching here was paused. I don't do TNG, yo:

Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 NSq4E6I

I do want to go over a highlight or two from this past week. Almost everything I did, aside from the deadlift, was part of this semi-deload thing I'm doing with my programming. Basically, I've reset weights, reconfigured set schemes, and now am building back up to a suitable pre-meet peak intensity range. So I actually had a heavy squat session this past week that was under 90%, and my volume bench day was easy as sh*t. My deadlift day was a big one, and heading over to a different gym than I normally pull at had me somewhat nervous. I really wanted to go in there and at least hit 305 x 2, and when I started warming up I KNEW I was ON that day. I definitely didn't pull with a deadlift bar, which was fine, but I've realized that pulling with iron plates as opposed to bumpers is MUCH better for me when I need to rep out sets. Too bad--won't have access to that setup anytime soon. Man though, did it feel good. I had little to no fatigue from the pulling except in my mid-to-upper back the next day, which may have come from doing slow-ass eccentrics on some of the pull-ups. It probably did.

I thought about my lifting and my self-conception a lot over the past week while away. It was the first time I've realized that my self-denigration is a serious problem and that I have to make a choice about continuing on with it and allowing it to impact my training and future success or trying to address it actively now. I think that for a while before I just accepted it as "the way that I am" which, in my defense, is somewhat fair as it's just true. I have a long history of being deeply dissatisfied with things that I do--and I mean ANYTHING I do--and it seems to be built into the way I operate. That said, I have evidence that I can think in other ways and respond to my performance in other ways. I believe that I can change with work, and this past week, I took steps to do that work in the gym. Reinforcing positives in attempts to change an attitude--i.e., not saying "I shouldn't think x way" but instead thinking "let's try thinking about it this way"--is helpful. Focusing on the sense of excelling I sometimes feel--if fleetingly--while lifting and knowing that I have the potential to grow into that more consistently also played a part in my efforts this week.

It's really hard to overcome the sense of shame that I feel when I know others are witnessing my efforts. I know that's it's ludicrous to feel shame over something as innocent as training, but I really have for months now. I have often felt as if I need to apologize for how sub-par I am to...some unknown entity or mass conscience. I don't know why. No one's counting on me to grow into an amazing lifter aside from myself. If there's anything a relatively indifferent collective conscience has for a developing lifter, it's infinite patience. Perhaps I would be justified in the shame if I were someone followed by hundreds or thousands--and really, not even then--but I'm not. And so the root of this shame is illogical and probably the root of my self-denigration. I can stop it, and I think I have the potential to really do so within the year.

Korean Drama? What? Hahahahha. And I don't know if it helps to say this but from watching your videos this past summer you've made a TON of progress! Just keep in mind why you are training in the first place--because you love it. Have fun with it and don't be too hard on yourself! Srsly...if you are disappointed in your squat I don't even know what to think of mine lol...
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Why couldn't you use the non-bumper plates at the CRWC for pulling? There's no rule saying you have to use bumper plates on the platform, and the flooring is shitty as it is, so there is not much reason to use bumper plates if they don't work as well for you.
Eh, a part of me figures that the harder I make things for myself training pulling, the better it will feel when I get to work with different materials. This mostly goes for the bar itself--training with these shit-ass bars is fantastic for when one gets one's hand on a real pulling bar.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 2:23 pm

Hfadel wrote:

Korean Drama? What? Hahahahha. And I don't know if it helps to say this but from watching your videos this past summer you've made a TON of progress! Just keep in mind why you are training in the first place--because you love it. Have fun with it and don't be too hard on yourself! Srsly...if you are disappointed in your squat I don't even know what to think of mine lol...
Ohhhh yeah. I'm on episode 10 now! Not covering them as fast as when I was at my mom's. So sad. But yes, you're right, I have made progress! I am working on embracing that and being proud of it. And we'll just work on your squat over time--that's all it takes. In that sense, your squat is always a work in progress and should be judged as such. And that's what I have to remember about mine, arrrrgh. I HAVE to remember that. It was a rough squatting session yesterday on that front, let me tell you.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 4:02 pm

babyeater wrote:

Eh, a part of me figures that the harder I make things for myself training pulling, the better it will feel when I get to work with different materials. This mostly goes for the bar itself--training with these shit-ass bars is fantastic for when one gets one's hand on a real pulling bar.
This is true to an extent, but using implements that allow you to handle more weight gets you better at handling more weight.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:

This is true to an extent, but using implements that allow you to handle more weight gets you better at handling more weight.
eh, also true. I choose to walk on the "handicapping myself" side of things for now.

9/10/2013

heavy squat

bar x 6
bar x 6
95 x 4
125 x 3
140 x 2
150 x 2
160 x 1
170 x 4
170 x 5
170 x 4
170 x 4

paused squat sets
130 x 5
130 x 5
130 x 5

back extensions
25 x 20
25 x 20
25 x 16

lying hamstring curl
70 x bunch, 3 sets

leg extensions
55 x 15
55 x 16
55 x 15

abductor work

9/11/2013

volume paused bench

bar x 5
bar x 5
bar x 5
75 x 4
85 x 3
97 x 7
97 x 7
97 x 7
97 x 7
97 x 7

incline press
60 x 16
60 x 11
60 x 10

wide-grip LPD
100 x 10
90 x 10
90 x 10
90 x 9

overhead cable tricep work
60 x 20
65 x 17
65 x 15

unilateral iso rows, seated
60 x 11 ea
60 x 11 ea
60 x 11 ea
60 x 10 ea

9/12/2013

deadlift

135 x 4
185 x 4
225 x 4
255 x 4
255 x 5
255 x 4
255 x 4

barbell hip thrusts
195 x 7
195 x 7
195 x 8
195 x 8
195 x 8

GHRs, lowest setting
16, 15, 15, 12

pull-ups
12, 7, 5, 6

quad extensions
65 x 15
65 x 12
50 x 13

So I'm doing a kind of deload/reload right now. It is WEIRD to not be working with weight in the high 80's-high 90's percentage range in deadlift. So weird. Everything except volume work on the two lifts has been reset and I'm coming in to rev things back up in a few weeks. Body will benefit from a break from the 90% range.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 12:30 am

Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Tumblr_mde38sJXEC1qh1ffwo1_500
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:55 am

9/15/2013

heavy bench

bar x 5
bar x 5
bar x 5
85 x 4
95 x 3
105 x 1
112 x 4
112 x 6
112 x 7
112 x 4

DB flat press
80 x 16
80 x 14
80 x 10

neutral-grip pull-ups
9, 8, 8, 7

overhead tricep cable work

9/17/2013

heavy squat

bar x 5
bar x 5
bar x 5
95 x 4
120 x 3
140 x 2
160 x 1
170 x 1
180 x 3
180 x 4
180 x 3
180 x 3

beltless paused squats
140 x 4
140 x 4
140 x 4

weighted back extensions
25 x 20
30 x 15
30 x 15

lying hamstring curlz
70 x 15
70 x 14
65 x 14

abduction machine
140 x 16
140 x 15
140 x 15

leg extensions
bunch x 3 sets

9/18/2013

volume paused bench

bar x 5
bar x 5
bar x 5
75 x 4
85 x 3
97 x 2
107 x 5
107 x 5
107 x 5
107 x 5
107 x 5

DB incline press
60 x 17
60 x 12
60 x 10

lat pulldowns
100 x 12
100 x 10
90 x 10
90 x 10

cable tricep pushdowns
bunch x 3 sets

unilateral iso rows
60 x 11 ea
60 x 11 ea
60 x 10 ea

9/19/2013

deadlift

135 x 3
185 x 3
225 x 3
245 x 1
265 x 3
265 x 4
265 x 3
265 x 3

barbell hip thrusts
interrupted

9/20/2013

rest/misc day

good mornings
bar x 3 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 12
95 x 12
115 x 10
115  x 10

pull-ups
9, 8, 7, 7

A bit light on the work in the last few days, ugh. That ends today. I'm still in a recharge period with all my lifts and am looking forward to amping it up in the coming weeks. I have to peak properly for the meet, and I'm going to try to do that.

I've been dealing with some insomnia again but went to the doctor much more quickly for it than I did last time. I am taking a trial dose of some sort of light sleep aid this weekend but don't plan on continuing with it for the future--more like something that is used on an as-needed basis. The way my insomnia works, I just sometimes am unable to get to sleep. If my brain is calmed down enough to initially get to sleep when I get in bed, there will be no problem. To pre-empt the suggestions--I have tried a LOT of things for this. Most supplements/natural remedies that are relatively popular for sleep issues, as well as changing bedtime protocol. Things I have not tried: therapy, meditation, mindfulness practice-related approaches to anxiety. Those are next on my list and I am on the path to getting something started up. I think whatever I do along these lines will probably be transferable to the anxiety I experience in relation to competing. I really don't want my gastro system to go through a meltdown for this coming meet like it did the one in April.

In other news, I got a baby ball python. Her name is Lara, and she is the shit. Here's a picture of Kyle holding her:

Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 TKzshJj

I find her to be very soothing. Even as a baby, she's very docile and doesn't mind my cage-invasions at all.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 KN0Ofe3

Okay, this isn't a complete log since leaving off on the 21st or whatever, but it's close. Direct your attention to the left of the above image on the "heavy squat" day and you'll notice "knee issues" popping up in that column. Here's what happened: on Tuesday, I went to warm up for a session in which I was supposed to do a set of 3 with 190 and then three sets of 190 x 2. I think I got up to 170 in warmups when I started experiencing a really weird, really pronounced sensation around the lateral/posterior aspect of my knee. I really couldn't pinpoint what the sensation was affecting but I could tell that something significant was going on, so I opted to not do the session because I didn't want whatever the sensation was to manifest in injury. I felt it particularly clearly when extending at the knee although flexion also triggered it particularly if full extension had recently just taken place. I did a deadlift session a few days later with no sensation during the session but sensation hours after the session. I had my normal rest day after the deadlifting day and went in to see how the squatting was going to go yesterday. I'm happy to report that squatting was fine, and I only felt the sensation a LITTLE bit a few hours after the session. I'm going to go back into squatting as normal in the coming week and see how things go with it; I think it should be fine and my squatting was actually very strong yesterday.

That said, I really had a meltdown mentally with my squat on Tuesday (prior to the knee thing even remotely being an issue). I kind of had a mini anxiety-attack about squatting just before we left for the training session, which was not a good thing all around. To be honest, I just have a really bad relationship with my squat sometimes. I feel like it's very inadequate and feel like I need to catch way, way up with it--furthermore, I feel like I should be able to do this because my stupid deadlift is so high.

I think part of my discomfort with the squatting is that my numbers jumped significantly when I put on pounds this summer in order to be bigger for 114. The numbers shot up so quickly that at a psychological level I just am unable to wrap myself around my new numbers fully yet. My head tells me that 170 should be harder than it is, my head tells me that 190 as work set material was unfathomable only a short time ago. These last few weeks I've taken the intensity down with all of my lifts, and this has meant that i haven't touched very heavy weight for me as often as I had been for week after week for a bit. It's hard to come back to numbers that are very new for me and trust that I can tackle them when I haven't touched them in a while, I guess. In other words, I really mindf*cked myself on this one for the last two or three weeks. Damnit. I want to not have as volatile a relationship with my squat as I've had, but I didn't really make strides in that goal until yesterday, when I made up for the issues from Tuesday and saw that I was squatting pretty well all around. Hopefully this coming week, the start of a new three-week block, I'll be able to continue to show myself that I'm capable of squatting relatively well.

Will log the benching from today tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Alright, so I haven't logged for a while and that's in part because I've had a strange relationship with my lifting and certain ways I've been approaching it and competition in the last few weeks. This came to a head when my glute acted up on me in training this past Saturday, and as usually happens with me when some aspect of my body gets a little tweaked from lifting, I learned something about what I'm doing with the sport. So I think I've gotten a lot of that straightened out at this point but it does mean I'm making some arguably (in my opinion, anyway) radical changes to how I'm going to be approaching competition in the future. I'm still competing on November 17th.

Highlights from recent training because I'm just not going to try to go back and cover the ground I've missed logging:

I squatted 181 x 6 last Tuesday and chose not to do a 7th rep--it was basically an AMRAP - 1. I deadlifted 275 x 6, which breaks a 270 x 6 PR from a while ago that i did with far longer resets between reps. I did 14 pull-ups in a row in training again, which is the first time in a while I've been back up that high with that exercise.

10/6/2013
heavy paused bench

bar x 5
bar x 5
bar x 5
85 x 4
95 x 3
105 x 1
110 x 1
118 x 2
118 x 6 rep PR
118 x 2
118 x 2

neutral-grip pull-ups
13, 9, 8, 7

seated incline DB press
70 x 11
70 x 9
70 x 8

Cable pushdowns
35 x 12
30 x 12
25 x 13

cable facepulls
105 x 13
105 x 12
100 x 14

lat pulldowns
100 x 11
100 x 10
100 x 10
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 5:19 pm

Alright, I've been obscenely bad about logging, but definitely on point with training. Recent rep PRs:

Deadlift: 285 x 6
Paused bench: 120 x 4

and here's some recent work with a squat rep PR of 200 x 3

10/15/2013
heavy squat

bar x 7
bar x 5
95 x 3
125 x 3
140 x 2
155 x 1
170 x 1
185 x 1
200 x 1
200 x 3
200 x 1
200 x 1

paused squatting
145 x 4

band hamstring curls
30, 26, 27

band abductors
20, 18, 17

back extensions
bw x 30
bw x 30
bw x 20

10/16/2013
volume paused bench

bar x 5
bar x 5
bar x 5
70 x 4
80 x 3
90 x 9
90 x 9
90 x 9
90 x 9
90 x 9

DB flat bench
90 x 10
90 x 9
90 x 8

Lat pulldowns
100 x 11
100 x 10
95 x 9
95 x 9

cable overhead pushdowns
65 x 13
60 x 14
60 x 14

seated unilateral rowing
65 x 11 ea
65 x 10 ea
65 x 9 ea

facepulls
bunch

Starting to go lighter on the accessory work, particularly on squat days. The meet is coming soon.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 11:59 pm

10/17/2013
deadlift

135 x 3
185 x 2
225 x 2
255 x 1
275 x 1
295 x 1
295 x 5
295 x 1

Don't mind the weigh-in stuff, that's for this online competition I'm doing. Bleh. Well, now we know I was 117 for this.

pull-ups
12, 7, 6, 6

GHRs
18, 15, 15, 13

leg extensions
70 x 12
60 x 14
60 x 12
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 10:25 pm

in case it isn't obvious, I'm really bad about logging as I get close to a meet. This has happened with basically all my meets, and I think I just get kind of quiet/secluded around my lifting online as I come up on a competition. Haven't really figured that one out yet, but I feel like I should push myself and maybe just log as much as possible (or as i can stand) leading up to the 17th. Well, the week before it will be kind of a light week work-wise. We'll see how this coming week goes.

Saturday's stuff:

squat
bar x 5
bar x 5
95 x 4
125 x 3
135 x 2
145 x 1
155 x 7
155 x 7
155 x 7

band glute extensions
band abductors, four setes
hamstring curls
60 x 20
60 x 18
60 x 17

leg extensions
60 x 17
60 x 14
60 x 13

that was it. I've been backing off on volume for a week or so now and my squatting rocked on this day. So let's keep that momentum going for Tuesday. PR note: I squatted 195 x 4 last Tuesday.

Paused Bench (today)
bar x 5
bar x 5
80 x 3
90 x 3
100 x 2
112 x 1
122 x 1
125 x 4 (rep PR, great pauses for each rep)
130 x 1 (PR, easy as hell, yay)
130 x 1 (longer pause, waited for Kyle's commands on this one)
video of the second 130 x 1:

DB incline press
60 x 17
60 x 12
60 x 12

Apparently doing a set of 17 with this gasses me out for the next two sets

Chin-ups
11, 8, 7, 6 hahaha I was tired

Band tricep pushdowns, 4 sets

cable rows, bunch x 3 sets
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 JBsgUmY

Alright. Sorry about the lack of dates up there, I just logged every day in my log without putting the dates in consistently, so this is basically the entirety of last week's training. This the second week of an intro cycle. No AMAPs, nothing crazy exertion-wise (except for that recent deadlift day, wtf happened, that felt like crap). Recent PRs: deadlifting 330 lbs.

Bulking. When I get up to 135 lb I will hold an "I am officially via BMI standards overweight" celebration.

I am not competing for the foreseeable future. It's not the right time for me to do so and I will know when it is. I have done three meets, and I think that my time is better spent now training. I plan on bulking up, leaning out some, and coming back with insane numbers someday. I will do this on my own terms.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2013 1:46 pm

Your BMI isn't overweight yet? It's like you're not even trying to be a member of the club!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Anabolic Furnace

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2013 3:46 pm

I just dropped below "obese" this year for the first time since high school. You guys are slacking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Janis Finkelman's log
Page 14 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next