Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Janis Finkelman's log

Go down 
+9
Logan Joseph
agleckler
Chris Anderson
KevinAlvy
Seth
GFou
Nathan Poage
Keosawa
babyeater
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 12:30 am

27.8; I'm "overweight." Even at 148, when I feel like death, I'm overweight. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Wow the normal range for someone my height is 145-195lbs what a worthless index
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Anything remotely close to 150 at your height is straight up Auschwitz-mode.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Will wrote:
Wow the normal range for someone my height is 145-195lbs what a worthless index
Nathan Poage wrote:
Anything remotely close to 150 at your height is straight up Auschwitz-mode.
Do you even eat at that point?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 1:27 pm

I dropped into the 150's when I was laying on my back 20 hours a day like spring 2012 b/c of stupid herniated disk. Felt like a breeze would knock me over -- also when I started lifting again I could barely grab the 45s to put them on the bar. I think most people live pretty sedentary lives though so I guess it makes sense that this is "normal"
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 2:13 pm

^Repped for accurate ugly truth hahaha pardon me mates, havin' a giggle here
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 12:29 pm

note: this is cross-posted from a few other logs so some of the info here is pretty redundant/you all have known about it for a while. Whatever, I don't feel like editing.

Alright, I haven't logged in a long time, but I have trained consistently from the time I started being shady with logging to this day. I don't do very well with the numbers part of logging--I'm happy to log the work for the main lifts but detailing all of the non-barbell work turns odious after a while so I'm going to probably opt out on making myself meticulously document it. What I am interested in writing about are the psychological developments and progressions I make in (and through) my training. So I'm going to turn this log into something else, something a little more focused on that side of things.

So let's do a recap of things that have happened in my training since around mid-november. First, I will say that I decided to bulk up significantly from where I was for the majority of my time logging here. From weighing in at 110-112 in May, I worked to put on roughly 20 pounds to date. I now walk around somewhere between 130 and 135, depending on what I've eaten. I don't really track it that closely, and I don't plan to for a while. I have gained inches everywhere and I'm pretty sure I'm still growing. I'm lucky to be able to put on muscle pretty easily--my skeletal proportions suggest that I have a shit ton of progesterone dominance in my system, so the heavy lifting and increase in intake have served me well.

Unfortunately, it's going to take some time for my strength to catch up to the weight I've put on so I'm not as strong as I was pound-for-pound for a while there. In late November or early Dec of last year I hit a 330 deadlift. A few weeks ago, I benched 135 for a triple and then hit a 140 after it. Yesterday, I easily squatted 225, which is 20 lbs more than anything I've ever had on my back until that session.

Other PRs: engagement to Keosawa, which I can't say anything about that won't be horribly sentimental and embarrassing for him (but I'm going to do it anyway: Keo is THE BEST person and I'm so deeply lucky to have him).

Current obstacles/projects for myself in relation to training: navigate anxiety and emotion in relation to lifting; use anger productively and minimize stress before/outside of sessions. I'm learning more and more about how my psyche impacts my lifting and consequently working on both controlling and utilizing the way my mind works to my advantage in lifting.

I find that the more mentally neutral and seemingly "calm" I am for 1RM testing days, the better. Richard Hawthorne talks about a similar approach to his own max efforts in the recent "Road to CAPO" video he did with Animal, and his discussion of it really resonated with me. Yesterday was a bit of a rough day leading up to the max attempt session--among other things, my grandmother is doing really poorly and the fact that she's probably not going to be with us much longer really hit me--but I recognized that and really worked to go into the session prepared and focused. I felt like shit warming up, just really off, but as I went through the attempts (210, 215, 220, 225 PR) the squats just looked better and better. 220 was incredibly fast for something I've never come close to squatting before. 225 was kind of a no-brainer after that, but we decided to cut off the attempts just to save my CNS from more heavy squats than necessary that session. I have some unfinished business, then, because I am pretty damn certain 225 is not my max.

I have no plans to squat with wraps, so I'm considering going USAPL at some point. But that, and the question of competition, is for another post some other day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.babyeaterlifts.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 11:46 pm

Hey this stuff fascinates me but I don't know a lot about the endocrine system. Can you explain that whole progesterone thing?
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 8:46 pm

Will wrote:
Hey this stuff fascinates me but I don't know a lot about the endocrine system. Can you explain that whole progesterone thing?

Didn't see this till just now--yeah, good question. I'm not SUPER clear on it but as far as women go, the way our skeletal frames develop their proportions as well as how we distribute fat is dependent on hormones to a pretty solid extent. To kind of paraphrase, some women have a much stronger instance of estrogen-dominance in their endocrine makeup. This typically results in wide hips and fat that distributes more dominantly through the thighs and butt. Some women are progesterone dominant and this means they have (on average) wider shoulders, narrower hips, and fat distribution through the torso when they put on weight before other areas. Progesterone-dominant women often have a much easier time putting on muscle, especially through their upper bodies. I'm very strongly in the progesterone camp. It's how my body works to a T. Which I'm not super happy about, but that's a conversation for another day, ha.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 8:47 pm

Tuesday: took this day off because it just worked better for my schedule to do so. Moved my lifting around so I basically exchanged friday's rest day for Tuesday. So, as I already logged Wednesday's stuff, we'll do the next few days:

Thurs: Paused Bench, volume session. did five sets of 112 x 6. Ton of assistance/accessory after it.

Friday: Deadlift: seven singles at 300. Lifted at another facility and used the stiffest, thickest bar I have ever deadlifted with barring the time I lifted out at Keo's old gym two Thanksgivings ago. It felt like complete shit. Oh well! Lots of assistance/accessory after.

Saturday: Back on track with regular lifting schedule, did a VERY easy session to "recover" from the max test I did on Tuesday by just squatting four sets of 135 x 8. A few sets of barbell hip thrusts after but cut it short due to some stuff that came up.

Sunday: paused bench, heavy session. 120 x 3, 120 x 8 (rep PR), 120 x 3, 120 x 3, 120 x 3. Bunch of assistance work. Really good session.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 11:41 pm

Fun fact: estrogen is also important for long bone growth
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:32 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
Fun fact: estrogen is also important for long bone growth

This explains my short femurs and humeri....
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:18 am

Well it is important for both males and females.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Recent stuff:

Tuesday was heavy squat day upon which I did 190 x 3 for four sets. Wednesday was volume bench day and I did 112 x 6 for I think five sets. Thursday was a completely horrendous deadlift day and after two shoddy sets of 285 x 3, I cut my losses and just started doing block pulls and worked up to a 375 single before my general crappy feeling that day had me calling it. Blah. Saturday was a volume squat day and I did five sets at 155 x 6. Today was a heavy bench day and I did 125 x 2, then an AMRAP of 125 x 6 which was a rep PR, then I did two more sets of 125 x 2. My pauses on a lot of these were kind of questionable.

Ran around doing assistance and accessory work after the work sets on all of these days but Thursday, because that was a majorly bad day.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:23 pm

squat

95 x 4
125 x 3
135 x 3
155 x 2
175 x 1
195 x 1
212 x 4 (rep PR)
212 x 1
212 x 1

beltless paused squats
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5

walking lunges, ham curls, and abductor work.

The 4-rep PR was pretty easy. I would put money down that my max is no longer 225. I've thought about trying wraps at some point but my squatting is going so well that I just don't really see a need to complicate it right now.

Also did a 125 x 7 paused bench rep PR on Sunday. Yey.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Repped for outstanding moral fiber and using sleeves only
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Brometheus wrote:

now we just need to add in briefs and a suit
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Brometheus wrote:

As an ex-wraps user, you can't talk!
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:39 pm

250-150-350 very soon.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
Brometheus wrote:

As an ex-wraps user, you can't talk!

Even the best of us wander off the beaten path at times
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 11:24 pm

I'm really excited about where my numbers are going. That said, I really don't know what weight class I'm going to end up at ultimately. I've been noticing more muscle loading on in certain areas over the last few weeks. My chest measurement is at an all-time high. Actually, all measurements save my waist are at an all-time high. It's really weird.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 3:13 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
250-150-350 very soon.

I think 150 is a foregone conclusion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 5:21 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Kyle Keough wrote:
250-150-350 very soon.

I think 150 is a foregone conclusion.

Who made you Ed Coan?
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 9:05 pm

oh, Coot.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 11:46 am

5/7

Squat

warm ups, work sets at
218 x 1
218 x 3 (rep PR)
218 x 1
218 x 1

Dimmels

accessory work.

So my max is not 225, k?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 15 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Janis Finkelman's log
Page 15 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next