Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Janis Finkelman's log

Go down 
+9
Logan Joseph
agleckler
Chris Anderson
KevinAlvy
Seth
GFou
Nathan Poage
Keosawa
babyeater
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16
AuthorMessage
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 12:08 pm

SHE'S ALIVE!!!

Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Sq88uSZ
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 12:12 pm

Also, full disclosure-ish thing I thought I would put out there for laughs:

I've recently contemplated--get ready for it--doing a figure show as I fumble my way through bringing my weight down. My reasoning behind the idea was that I was looking to drop the weight anyway so why not do the typical Janis thing and go all-out, balls-to-the-wall with it and do a figure show. Because I basically can't do anything halfway, you know. I also don't want to look like sh*t for my eventual wedding, and given that said wedding is probably going to be in a year and a half or so, I have a reasonable amount of time to significantly change my body composition by then. I believe I have a good enough muscular base to compete in figure without placing last.

So this was something I seriously thought about for the better part of Tuesday, my birthday. As a chick, the idea of looking really good and wearing all kinds of makeup and making my hair purty is an attractive one to me, especially since I spend almost all my days looking like a slob and feeling like a blob. And I'm really good at depriving myself of food--like REALLY good, because I actually take a massive amount of sick pleasure from it thanks to seven+ years of eating disorder programming--so I'm not worried about the diet part of it. I also have always had a talent for wearing heels because I spent the first 10 years of my life walking around on my toes, which is a story for another day. On top of all of that, and more importantly, I figured I'd learn a lot about nutrition and dieting down and how my body reacts to what by doing something like this--working with an expert to do it, in other words.

So in contemplating this for a few days what I ultimately asked myself was this: how do you feel when you picture the end goal of each pursuit--a stage show versus a meet or just lift PRs? The idea of upping lift numbers makes me so, so happy, while thinking about working towards a figure competition and then doing the thing on the stage and placing somewhere generates absolutely no interest. So, well, honestly, it's really not something I can see working out all that well for me. Now, would doing the process of a figure show get me nearer to goals I have right now (i.e. ultimately drop over 10 lbs and be much leaner)? Yeah, it would. But if I really wanted to lean out/be more developed for a figure show, it would change my training and I'm sorry, the emphasis on PL just would not be there. And that would be something I would regret.

I'm still going to work hard to drop weight, but I'm doing it very slowly to avoid having my metabolism get pissed off at me. I do very well on deficits, and have been doing well for weeks being on this one. I'm going to see how I feel about my progress and approach in two months and evaluate from there--I may decide to work with someone on my diet even though I'm pretty damn sure I'm not going the figure route.

Last edited by babyeater on Thu May 08, 2014 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.babyeaterlifts.wordpress.com
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 12:13 pm

SSchwartsenator wrote:
SHE'S ALIVE!!!

I know! How did this happen?
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 1:25 pm

The one thing I'll say about the figure show idea is that it would be a double-edged sword. I know that you tend to work better with specific, concrete goals and targets--just like most of us do. So, a figure show would give you a specific date and target to say "hey, I am doing THIS show, I need to do do THIS to prepare myself, etc etc." Which could be very good for you.

On the other hand, figure/bodybuilding/bikini/etc is entirely subjective. There is no criteria like, "X > Y, therefore X wins." In that case, it would be the complete opposite, with no specific goal or target. You pretty much have to say, "well, I'm this lean, my muscles look this good, let's hope the judges think I'm good enough, and we'll see what kind of competition there is."

I think you could learn a lot by doing figure. It may be a one step back, two steps forward type of thing as you learn different ways of dieting and manipulating your body weight and muscle mass. And if all else fails, maybe you just train in a similar way to figure athletes, without actually doing a figure show. There have been plenty of successful crossover athletes. Stan Efferding, Derek Kendall, and Garrett Griffin were all bodybuilders. I believe Julia Ladewski has done a variety of strength sports.

My guess is that you honestly wouldn't lose that much progress in your lifts, and the strength would likely come back pretty quickly. Nobody here has really been training that long, in the grand scheme of things, so let's say you lose an entire year of progress--what's that compared to two decades of lifting? Something something marathon not a sprint something something. I took five months completely off of lifting, lost a bunch of weight, did a shit ton of running and rucking and stupid Army shit in Basic and AIT, and I ended up dropping a weight class and putting over 100lb on my total. Strength comes back.

Overall, it's really just about what you enjoy. Lifting isn't anybody's life work. Find whatever you enjoy and do it.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 9:08 pm

well, it's been a long training week. Stuff that happened after last time:

super-paused volume bench day, 120 x 4 for six or seven--more likely seven, but I screwed up keeping track--sets.

Deadlift day upon which I didn't do much because I'm kind of coming back into normal deadlift training after a fluke flare up in my SI joint a few weeks back. Just did some singles and the top weight was 325.

volume squat day with 5 sets of 170 x 6. Dimmels after that went well.

heavy paused bench day: the pauses were trash most of the time and I fahcked up my first AMRAP set so I came back and did it again with a slight reduction in fahcked up factor. 144 x 1, 144 x 3 (the bad AMRAP), 144 x 4 (the less-bad AMRAP). I have some kinks with how I"m working with heavier percentages I need to work out on bench now.

Today was a rest day.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2014 2:24 pm

12/14/14
Deadlift
Worked up to 380 x 2, two load drop sets

12/16/14
Paused bench 145 x 4, 4 sets

12/17/14
Volume squat
4 sets of 185 x 8
Bodybuilding/extra work

12/19/14
Heavy squat
4 sets of 225 x 4

12/20/14
Paused bench
4 sets of 135 x 8
Bunch of bb/accessory work

12/21/14

Deadlift
Top set of 350 x 4, two drop sets of 315 x 4

12/23/14

Paused bench

150 x 3, 155 x 3, 155 x 3, 155 x 3

volume squat
200 x 6, four sets
extra work/bb crud

yeah, obviously I don't go very detailed on any of the non-main-movement work I'm doing. Because ain't nobody got time for logging that.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 7:22 pm

12/25/14
heavy squat
worked up to four sets of 235 x 3

12/26/14
volume bench
four sets of 140 x 6 paused
bodybuilding/assistance work

12/27/14
deadlift
worked up to top set of 370 x 3, ended up being fairly easy, possibly undershooting the RPE target for this day again. Two load drop sets of 335 x 3 and then called it because I didn't sleep at all last night and my hands were ripped to shit.

Notice: Nearly everything I worked with this week was a rep PR. Four sets of 155 x 3 on paused bench is work sets with what is also a rep PR. 140 x 6 is a six-rep paused bench PR from a higher bodyweight that I did for multiple volume sets this week. 235 x 3 is a three-rep PR on the squat and I did that for four sets this week's session. Doing that session was a challenge because not only was the first set a rep PR, I was also just so completely without energy/like a zombie that session that it's a miracle I pulled it off, period. 370 x 3 on the deadlift is a rep PR. This gives you an idea how how significant this week was for me. I mean, a lot of prior weeks have been like this, but when you step back and look at this week's sessions it's insane.

Note that on none of this am I doing an AMRAP or going to failure. It's not part of my programming and taxing my body to that degree is not necessary to make progress for me. IT's about getting in great reps, focusing on technique, and building up a momentum to keep doing good stuff. Cannot wait for this coming week...
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 7:44 pm

babyeater wrote:
It's about getting in great reps, focusing on technique, and building up a momentum to keep doing good stuff.

Dear every lifter person ever,

This.

Sincerely,

The Furnace
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 8:21 pm

I kno. Yah.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 10:46 pm

12/29/14
paused bench
worked up to two sets of 162 x 2 and two sets of 165 x 2. Pauses were not great on some of these but oh well.

12/30/14
volume squat
four sets of 220 x 4

bunch of hypertrophy work. Did 18 3/4 consecutive pull-ups, which is a PR for me and literally the single thing that went well this session. I squatted horribly. It was awful.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 11:14 am

12/29 heavy bench
160 x 2, three sets of 165 x 2 paused, I think. Pretty sure it was that and not four sets of 165 x 2.

12/30
volume squat
4 sets of 220 x 4, this did not go well and it signaled the start of needing a deload on squatz.
bodybuilding work/accessory stuff

1/1/2014
heavy squat
worked up to a terrible double at 240 and shut it down because my squat needs a deload, apparently. Also am semi-deloading my bench.

1/3/2014
deadlift
worked up to a 390 x 3 set and did two drop sets of 350 x 2. Then did speed pulls. Was supposed to do a heavy double but 390 x 2 was so easy Kyle yelled at me to do a third.

1/4/2014
accessory/bodybuilding work

1/6/2014
deload bench day
10 sets of paused 115 x 5, timed 1-minute rest intervals between
accessory work

1/8/2014
volume/work back into the squat day
four sets of 200 x 5

1/9/2014
semi-paused volume bench (pauses could have been better but whatever, I'm cool with it on this session)
135 x 10 for 3 sets, 135 x 9 for the last because I just gassed out halfway through the last rep. I do remember when doing sets of 10 used to feel hard with any weight though.

Bodyweight was a semi-surprising 134.6 this morning. Not really wanting it to go lower because I could make 132 and whatever fraction of a pound that weight class is officlally at from this weight like stupid easily. I'm so much better at being on a caloric deficit than maintenance. I never know what to do with myself.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 6:29 pm

1/10/15
Horrendous pull day, worked up to 370 x 4 and just called it because I felt so flat and off. Ugh.

1/11/15
bunch of assistance work

1/12/15
volume squat
four sets of 190 x 8
a few assistance exercises

1/13/15
paused bench
worked up to 145 x 4, 150 x 4, two sets of 152 x 4

1/15/15
heavy squat
225 x 4, 230 x 4, 235 x 4, 240 x 4
squat seems to no longer be sucking after running the deload. Kyle is right, as usual.

1/16/15
volume bench
four sets of 137 x 8 paused
some assistance work

1/17/15
two sets of 370 x 3, speed pulls 8 sets of 225 x 2
this session possibly felt worse than the last deadlift session. Awesome. Stuff doesn't usually all click at once in the middle of training cycles, so I'm just sort of riding this out for now.

1/18/15
main assistance/hypertrophy day
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Janis Finkelman's log   Janis Finkelman's log - Page 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Janis Finkelman's log
Page 16 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16