Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Grant Voshell's Log

Go down 
+12
David Petersen
apdirienzo
Chris Anderson
babyeater
agleckler
KevinAlvy
Keosawa
Seth
Logan Joseph
Nathan Poage
zchaib
Quadfather
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17 ... 23  Next
AuthorMessage
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 8:08 pm

July 22, 2013 - Max Effort Deadlift

Deadlift 4" Blocks (sumo): 5x2 385

Snatch Grip DL w/ straps (conventional): 8x 275, 315

Chainsaw Pulls: 3x10 60 (30 sec rest after each set)

DB Shrugs: 2x20 50 (1 in front, 1 behind back)

Ab Wheel Rollouts: 2x failure (which was a lot)

I sweated absolute balls today. There was no air, no dehumidifier, and a lot of sweaty humans in the gym today. During snatch grips, the sweat was literally dripping from my face onto the floor in front of me but I digress.

The block pulls were harder than they should have been because I had to use bumper plates which made the bar roll a bit between reps. Plus setting up was such a hassle because I was basically pulling over my knees for the lift since I pull sumo. Snatch grips were only tough because it was so humid plus I was a little fatigued. Other than that, lock outs were solid for all of the reps and I felt explosive.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 9:25 pm

July 24, 2013 - HUUMP DAAY!

Floor Press: 8x3 170 (30 seconds rest in between sets)

Incline DB Press: 3x15 50 (90 seconds rest)

Tricep Press Down: 100 reps (slightly thicker band than usual)

DB Military Press: 10x 25, 30, 35 (45 seconds rest)

Band Fly: 3x15 (20 seconds rest; same band as press down)

Sit-Ups: 30 BW
Wheel Roll Outs: 20x BW

It was explosive bench day and my practice has been to has short rest intervals on explosive day. Floor press went well; I really focused on squeezing the bar hard to engage my triceps. I noticed that this gave me quite a bit of bar speed as well as a mental attitude to be aggressive with the weight. Other than that, I did not think the workout was too difficult except for the timed rest intervals.

With the first wave almost over, I have a few things as far as the cube method goes. I am not sure if I am becoming stronger (most likely I am) but I do like the variety of exercises as well as multiple accessory exercises to work on the weak areas. It definitely keeps me on my toes. However, today I just realized that the template in the ebook has a raw bench schedule. I finish my first wave this week so the next wave I will start using that template.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 10:57 pm

July 25, 2013

Squats: 1x8 315 (Possible PR..?)

Wide Squats: 8x 225, 225, 275

DB Lunges: 3x15 25s

Olympic Squats: 1x50 135

This was a late lifting sessions and I was absolutely exhausted walking in the the door. The first set of squats was supposed to be 305 but I was sharing the mono with another guy and I did not want to be selfish. For the wide squats, I really felt it in my hips. My partner has done some geared lifting so each set he brought my feet in about 1" more and told me to point my toes as forward as much as I could. Felt weird but I got them pretty wide and pretty forward.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 11:44 pm

Lacrosse-ball those hip flexors before and after your wide-stance stuff. If you treat them well, you shouldn't have an issue, but wide-stance squatting can be difficult on the hips.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 6:57 am

Wait....why'd he tell you to point your toes forward

That's gonna crush your hips
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 7:52 am

KevinAlvy wrote:

+1. I would point your toes out as much as you need to in order to open up your hips (which, for you, is at least "some").
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 5:35 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:

he was worried about my balance with my feet pointing outward. the first set was the widest and my toes were pointing mostly outward. during the first set, I locked out the weight on the 6th rep or so and I stumbled backwards a bit. the second and third sets were narrower than the respective previous one.

I was also thinking that forward toes and wide stance would crush my hips but it was a couple of more experienced lifters telling me to do it so I just listened.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 7:25 pm

July 29, 2013

Deadlift 1" Deficit: 1x8 340

4" Block Pulls: 1x8 385 (Supposed to be 2x3 but the 3 looked like an 8 )

SSB Olympic Stance: 3x8 ~220 (unsure of the weight of the SSB)

Prone Leg Curls: 4x25 (1 minute intervals)

Back Raises: 1x30

I was pretty exhausted last Friday so I made sure to do minimal activity this weekend to rest up and it helped a bit. I thought the 1" deficit set was taxing but everyone said that the weight was moving pretty fast. The block pulls was supposed to be 2x3 but I misread the 3 as an 8 so I just counted it as done. I was unsure of the weight of the SSB but it felt around 85-95 lbs. I was supposed to do 4x10 GHRs but I could not set up the machine right so I decided to do leg curls instead.

This was the last session of this cycle so on Wednesday, I believe I add 5% to all of my lifts but I will reread the ebook to make sure.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 7:51 pm

July 31, 2013

Floor Press: 2x 235, 240, 240

Flat Bench: 2x15 175 (second set was broken into 3x5 with 30 sec rest)

Band Pressdown: 1x100 (supposed to be 4x25)

Lat Pulldown: 3x12 70 (squeeze at bottom; 1 minute rest)

DB Shrugs: 3x15 50pps-Front,Side, Back (squeeze at top; 45 sec rest)

Military Press: 12x 65, 85, 95

Today was the start of my second wave of the cube. I decided to keep the using the template until the end of the cycle just to stay consistent. So far the results are definitely there for my bench. I obviously have not tested my flat bench max in a few weeks but my tricep strength/stamina has definitely increased. The last time I did this workout, my triceps were screaming and I was resting in between sets like a crossfitter but this time I cruised straight through except for the flat bench set. Also, I have noticed that the weight for the tricep engaged exercises have increased as well.

Side notes: on the 2x15 flat bench sets, drew pointed out a couple of things. First, I lose my tightness around the 8th rep simply because I get gassed and really have to breathe heavily. Second, my wrists tend to fall backward so the cue he gave me was "punch the ceiling" and I am not sure if it was easier but it felt stronger. Last, I have been noticing that my hands are pretty tight so he gave me a simple exercise to do to engage the "spreading out" muscles of my hand/forearm.

Confession: I am no longer natty. I... I... used a bench shirt on a small set of 225. Let the criticism begin
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 7:59 pm

What the fuck?! I'm shredding our lease.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 8:06 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
What the fuck?!  I'm shredding our lease.

I was tempted to try on a squat suit too. Both were single ply so the weight was semi natty.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 12:15 pm

August 3, 2013

Squat: 6x2 285 (65%)

Reverse Band Squat: 1x2 350 (80%)

ATG Olympic Squat: 3x5 225, 2x5 275

Leg Press: 3x15 90 (Normal, Wide, Narrow), 135 (Normal) w/ 30 sec rest

Back Raises: 3x12 w/ 30 sec rest

Glute Bridges: 2x15 45 (Squeeze!), 2x15 135 (Explode!)

The first 2 sets of squat were not great but after that, I began to think "explode and fast" and then the weight was really flying. For reverse banded squats, I used bands that had a lot of stretch thus not a lot of weight was taken off. Nonetheless, the weight came up very quickly.

Side Notes: I think I have found and nearly solidified my squat stance. It is just a bit wider than shoulder width and the weight seems to fly out of the hole. Second, I have been noticing that as I progress through my sets, I become "looser" so I am taking this as I need to do a few more sets/reps during warm ups
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Broceidon wrote:
I was tempted to try on a squat suit too. Both were single ply so the weight was semi natty.

You're either natty or you're not, brah.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 7:39 pm

August 5, 2013

Deadlift: 6x2 315 (65%) explosive

4" Block Pulls w/ Snatch Grip: 3x12 225 (50% of conventional max) explosive

SSB Squat (HB shoulder width): 8x 175, 225, 245

BB Shrugs: 12x 135-Front, 225-Front, 225-Back

Back Raises: 35, 15 (supposed to be 50)

Band Work: 15x Face Pulls, Reverse Grip Face Pulls, Lat Pulldown, Lat Pushdown

The weight was flying off the floor today. Normally 315 is like a "wall" for me in the sense that this is the weight that becomes heavy for me but not the case today. I particularly focused on screwing my heels into the ground before pulling and I noticed that I felt more stable during the lift. Block pulls were much better than last time. Definitely much more explosive and not as fatiguing. Lastly, I have never done 35 back raises in a row so technically that is PR and next wave I am shooting for the full 50. It definitely feels as if my posterior chain is stronger so that's a big plus.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 10:27 pm

August 7, 2013

Incline Bench: 8x 185 (accidently did 8 but supposed to be 6 reps)

Incline DB Bench: 2x20 35

Flat Close Grip: 12x 135, 155, 165

Band Fly: 15 reps- flat, decline, incline

Tricep Pressdown: 50 shoulder width, 25 narrow, 25 wide (100 total)

Military Press: 12x 65, 85, 105

This was an intense workout but overall I was pretty pleased. First, incline BB was supposed to be 6 but I misread it as 8 and 185lbs is +20 from the previous wave. Second, I was not sure what to do for incline DB but it was +5 per side and I definitely felt I could have done it with 40lb DBs. Third, close grip was also a significant increase from last wave (however I paused for 15-20 seconds after the 7th rep because I lost my footing). Lastly, for the rest of the assistance work I either increased the weight and had shorter rest intervals or did more reps in a row (depending on the exercise).

Side Note: shoulders and triceps are definitely becoming stronger. My current max is 280 so I am having high hopes for a 290 max but I really want 300 before the end of the year. Lastly, with a significant amount of volume, I have been gaining some mass particularly in the chest, shoulders, upper back, and arms (bro status).
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 10:36 pm

Saw Beau Moore bench 520 before my benching session... completely natty
Back to top Go down
zchaib
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 11:34 pm

affraid 
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 11:03 am

August 10, 2013

Squat: 3x2 370 (85% wrapped and belted)

Today was probably one of the worst workouts ever and everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I have been battling a cold with a significant amount of congestion and I could barely breathe. I was not hungry when I woke up so I did not eat anything and this was bad because I did not have any energy to squat or anything to help bust the belt. The AC/fan was off because a few guys wanted to train in heat to get ready for the state fair push-pull and there were a few other things to add to this awful day.

I was supposed to a few accessory exercises after squatting but when I noticed that my form and everything was breaking down I decided to shut it down.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 5:41 pm

I know this feel. Sometimes you just gotta call it a day and come back with a fire the next day. How many days a week are you training right now?
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Seth wrote:
I know this feel.  Sometimes you just gotta call it a day and come back with a fire the next day.  How many days a week are you training right now?
It was a terrible feeling but I am feeling rested and should be back to full health in a couple of days. Right now I am training 3 days a week in addition to playing softball the other 4 days as well as 40 hour work weeks. My CNS is more fried than Poage outside on a sunny day.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm

August 12, 2013

4" Block Pulls (sumo): 3x2 410

Snatch Grip DLs (conventional): 7x 280, 9x 320

Chainsaw Pulls: 3x10 60 pps (20 seconds rest)

DB Shrugs: 2x20 50pps (1 set front; 1 set back)

Ab Roll-Outs: 2x20 (1 from toes; 1 from knees)

Today was an excellent day. I did not have to work because my summer job is over plus I had an excellent pre-workout meal. I spent quite a bit of time stretching, rolling and warming up. My adductors are pretty tight so stretching these really helped open up my hips to get into a better position. After this I started cruising through my warm-ups because I felt loose and ready to get after it. Lastly, enjoy the music in the video.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sumo pull technique off of blocks looks great. Stop sandbagging your snatch grip pull speed and lockout. It's supposed to be a bitch to lock out--don't deny yourself that. Solid training music.

Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Jeff, that music was awful. Try using an actual snatch grip on those snatch grip pulls too afro 
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Quit pulling sumo so I'm not forced to hate you. You seem like a good guy greg, but you're also a sumo steve. stahp
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
Try using an actual snatch grip on those snatch grip pulls too afro 
With his shitty little arms, he doesn't need to grip it too wide to get the bar up on his hips at lockout. I think he's just fine.

EDIT: Also, too much time between reps; didn't count.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grant Voshell's Log   Grant Voshell's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grant Voshell's Log
Page 11 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: