Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

Alex's Training log - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 1:47 pm

You're doing the USAPL meet with Nate, right? What do you think you'll total?
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
apdirienzo
Class III
Class III
apdirienzo

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Ya im doing the USAPL meet. Im not sure yet what im gonna total as im still figuring out my starting weights. My goal off the top of my head is a 385 sqt, 285 bench, and a 505 deadlift= 1175. This is +62 from my current meet PR, 1113.
Back to top Go down
apdirienzo
Class III
Class III
apdirienzo

PostSubject: 9/26   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Squats
warm ups
3x120kg
3x140
3x150
3x154.6 (341)
1x160
1x164.6 (363)

A1: GHR                3x8xBW
A2: Cbl Push Away  3x5eax100

B1: Wide Pull Ups    15x4xBW
B2: Cbl Crunches    12x4
B3: SL GM              7x4xBW

Notes: Went for and worked up to a max triple and decided to go for a max single because i was feeling good. Ive been thinking of opening at 365 for the meet, my current meet PR. The one i hit in training today went up smooth after several working sets.
Back to top Go down
apdirienzo
Class III
Class III
apdirienzo

PostSubject: 9/30   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Squats
3x140kg
3x150
3x154.6
1x160

Hammer Curls

Notes: Quick day of lifting
Back to top Go down
apdirienzo
Class III
Class III
apdirienzo

PostSubject: 10/1   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Football workout
Snatch
Pause Squats (3secs)
4x205
4x220
4x235

Military Press
5x120
5x125

My Lifts

Pause Bench
3x225
3x245
1x255
1x265
1x275

A1: tricep push down
A2: GHR sit ups

Notes: I hit my planned opener today, 265, and it flew up really easy. I couldnt get the 275 though. I feel confident that i will be able to get it at the meet next Saturday though.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 1:10 am

Not trying to be a dick at all, but if you missed 275--even if it was just a fluke miss--then you might want to open a little lighter than 265. Based on your meet goals, it looks like you're opening higher on these lifts than you have to.
Back to top Go down
apdirienzo
Class III
Class III
apdirienzo

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 4:29 am

No dickishness taken kyle. Im always happy to hear what others have to say. My current thought process when picking openers right now is to choose something i have done in training before. Is there another way i should go about this then?
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 4:38 am

apdirienzo wrote:
No dickishness taken kyle. Im always happy to hear what others have to say. My current thought process when picking openers right now is to choose something i have done in training before. Is there another way i should go about this then?
Usually you pick something you can hit for a triple any day of the week. That way there aren't any surprises come meet day.

Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 8:47 am

Nathan Poage wrote:
apdirienzo wrote:
Usually you pick something you can hit for a triple any day of the week.  That way there aren't any surprises come meet day.
This. A triple is also, for most of us, around 90-92%, so it gives you the flexibility to hit a near-max second attempt if you don't feel fantastic, or to get to 100%+ in a hurry. If you open at 255 on the bench, you can still very easily get to 285+ by a third attempt, and it just makes your opener a bit safer. Ultimately, your opener should be as easy as possible while still preparing you for your second attempt. Though I sometimes take this too far, at the last meet, I opened at a 6RM (446), a 4RM (276), and a 7RM (518), respectively.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 8:50 am

There are also other factors to consider here. Like, I'm pretty sure USAPL gives a "start" command on their bench presses, which means you hang out, holding the bar, until someone tells you to begin your eccentric. If you don't like the bench, or you get a long pause, or something else happens, suddenly 265 can become a miss-able weight.
Back to top Go down
apdirienzo
Class III
Class III
apdirienzo

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 12:43 pm

Ya im defiantly gonna lower my bench and most likely my squat openers after reading this. I dont want to go to the meet and not put up a number for one of the lifts. I'd be more pissed and disappointed about that than missing my 2nd or 3rd lift. Thank you guys for the advice. I appreciate it a lot.

and yes kyle there is a start command for the bench in USAPL meets.

Current Opens as they stand now:
Squat: 355
Bench: 255
Deadlift: 475

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 1:19 pm

apdirienzo wrote:
I dont want to go to the meet and not put up a number for one of the lifts.

Yeah--in powerlifting, if this happens, then you "bomb out" (you're disqualified for not posting a total as a full-meet lifter). So, make absolutely sure you can nail your openers. What type of bar are you currently using for deadlifting?
Back to top Go down
apdirienzo
Class III
Class III
apdirienzo

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 1:40 pm

KKeough wrote:
apdirienzo wrote:

Yeah--in powerlifting, if this happens, then you "bomb out" (you're disqualified for not posting a total as a full-meet lifter). So, make absolutely sure you can nail your openers. What type of bar are you currently using for deadlifting?
I didnt know that you could be disqualified for this. Thanks again for the advice.

I currently am using a texas powerbar for everything. I do have access to eleiko bars, but i have never given them a try for deadlifting.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
apdirienzo wrote:
Usually you pick something you can hit for a triple any day of the week.  That way there aren't any surprises come meet day.
+1. I have also heard people say that your opener should be your "last warm-up"

American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 2:36 pm

apdirienzo wrote:
KKeough wrote:
apdirienzo wrote:

I didnt know that you could be disqualified for this. Thanks again for the advice.

I currently am using a texas powerbar for everything. I do have access to eleiko bars, but i have never given them a try for deadlifting.
Okay, that's good to hear. I know USAPL doesn't use a deadlift bar, and for some people, that can make the pull much harder. If you've been using a Texas power bar, you'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
apdirienzo
Class III
Class III
apdirienzo

PostSubject: 10/3   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Deadlift
warmups
3x170kg
3x200
3x216.8   (477)

3x
A1: Neutral grip pull ups 20xBW
A2: Cable Crunches       12x120

3x
B1: DB Row                           7x100
B2: Back Extension                 8xBW
B3: V-ups/Full Body Crunches   20xBW

Notes: Damn good day today. I had to grab my straps for my last rep on deadlifts due my hands not being able to take the knurling anymore but other than that i felt all the reps where good minus the final one.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 9:01 pm

apdirienzo wrote:
I had to grab my straps for my last rep on deadlifts due my hands not being able to take the knurling anymore
Reps dont count then

Class III
Class III
apdirienzo

PostSubject: Sheiko   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Ok so now that i just finished a meet im trying to find a new training cycle to do. Currently im thinking im going to do sheiko. I currently am doing more research on sheiko before i jump into it.

does anyone have any spread sheets or information on this training program?
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 5:59 pm

A quick google search will get you tons of results. Otherwise, there are a couple in the dropbox.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 10:50 pm

This is what you want: http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 8:28 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
A quick google search will get you tons of results. Otherwise, there are a couple in the dropbox.
is supple leopard in the dropbox?
Back to top Go down
apdirienzo
Class III
Class III
apdirienzo

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:

how do i access the drop box?
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

apdirienzo wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

how do i access the drop box?
If you go to the home page, click on powerlifting discussions and there is a thread at the top of the page. All of the info to access lifting programs is in that thread

Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 2:51 pm

What Grant said. You will have to install the program on your computer if you haven't already. Don't worry-- it is a small program and it won't affect anything. Just use the log in info from the thread and download what you want.

Solum per exitum.
Back to top Go down
apdirienzo
Class III
Class III
apdirienzo

PostSubject: 10/21 The start of a new cycle   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2013 5:18 pm

Sheiko #29 Day 1

Bench
5x150
2x4x180
2x3x210
5x3x225

Squat
5x185
2x5x225
5x5x265

Bench
5x150
5x180
4x4x210

Pull ups
3x5x  +70

DB Snatch
2x80
2x85
2x90

Ab Wheel
3x10xBW

Notes: First Day of Sheiko. For Sheiko i am doing all the main lift exercises but i am changing the accessory work. I thought today would be easy given that all the percentages are low, but going back to bench the second time around was more exhausting then i thought it would be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Training log   Alex's Training log - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alex's Training log
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4