Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Training Article Submissions

Go down 
+3
Nathan Poage
Seth
Keosawa
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 11:08 am

Could someone embed the team pic from Nasa Regionals and Grand Natty's?
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 12:38 pm

I can do it but I'm at work so I couldn't until about 4.

EDIT: That's enough margin rape.

Last edited by Chris Anderson on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 12:45 am

where the fuck is my sled dragging video
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 10:51 am

lol no idea

gimme the link
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 2:08 pm

This is a witch hunt.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 3:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jEBo_nhG7I
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 2:41 am

Oh my 2:40 am genius, when I should be fast asleep. Feel free to put this on the team page, if not its no big deal.

Practice Makes Perfect
By Seth Thompson

To many times I’ve heard someone upset with one of their lifts say something like “I’m going to add in an extra day to floor press, that’s gotta help my bench shoot up right?” It’s like they think there is some magical assistance lift that is going make their main lift go through the roof. Most of the time these lifters will continue to struggle with that main lift and wonder why their magic new assistance lift didn’t help. They will continue to ponder what new lift to try next, but the truth is the answer is right there in front of them. If you want to get better at a lift, do it more often. If you want your bench to move, bench more. If you want your squat to move, squat more. If you want your press to move, press more. They think they are failing a lift at lockout because of a lack of tricep strength, so they need to add in pin lockouts. The truth is, if you’re missing a lift its generally because you’re body is not ready to handle that weight. You’re not missing at lockout, you’re just not getting enough speed out of the bottom of the lift because you’re not strong enough yet.

I’ll put my disclaimer out right now that this article is geared towards beginner and intermediate lifters. While there is only a small percentage of lifters that could consider themselves at the advanced or elite level, I’d say we could all use a little reminder sometimes. Since the deadlift is a beast of its own, this article applies mainly to squatting and pressing movements. This article is based off of personal experience and what I have seen through many other lifters as well.

Using the bench press as my example, many programs only have a lifter bench pressing one time a week. Another day it may have the lifter overhead pressing. Programs like these are great, I’m actually running one like this right now myself. Programs like this are meant to build a good base of strength and create a well-rounded lifter. Being well rounded is great and all, but when a lift has been stalled for 6 months you need that sucker to move. Often times the answer to all your trouble is as simple as you aren’t training it enough. Not only will your body respond to the extra volume, but you will also be practicing the lift more. Practice makes perfect, right?

Here’s my story with this, and this isn’t me trying to brag about my pathetic bench press. I was one of those guys looking for the magic lift. My bench was stuck at a measly 255 lbs, though I felt like I was stronger than that. I couldn’t get it to move to save my life. I decided to give Smolov jr. a try. If you’re not familiar, you basically bench press four times a week for three weeks straight at varying rep ranges and intensities. That’s 12 bench sessions in 3 weeks, pushing insanity. Throughout those three weeks I made sure to never miss a rep. I also never did any assistance work whatsoever for my bench. At the end of those three weeks I tested my max to see where I was at. I blew myself away hitting a (still measly) 295 lbs bench press, 40 lbs in three weeks. Smolov is an extreme program, and a couple of things happened. First my body was responding to the huge amount of extra volume. Second is that with all the extra practice taught my body to bench press more efficiently. Video of before and after Smolov shows that my setup and technique changed dramatically, and I never even noticed. My body naturally gravitated towards what was easier for it to do. I learned a lot about what I was doing wrong and how to fix it in those three weeks.

Now Smolov is not a sustainable program, it’s a peaking cycle. After going back to a normal strength training template my bench did fall some, but that base of strength stayed. So how do you add in this extra volume to you’re current programming? It can be as simple as adding in an extra day. If you want to push your bench, add in an extra day each week where you just go do some moderate intensity, moderate volume bench pressing. You could also just add it in as you’re assistance lift on whatever you’re second pressing day is, or it could even be as simple as adding in some back off sets after you’re work sets. PRACTICE the lift. The same goes for squatting. If you want to become a better hitter in baseball, what do you do? Extra batting practice. This is the same right thing here. Find out what works, feel out your flaws and fix them. The extra volume combined with flat out practicing more will usually help a novice or intermediate lifter move more weight.

Some people may get to the opposite end of the spectrum where they are pushing a lift to hard and their body is not responding. This may be a situation where you need to back off of that lift. If you’re bench pressing three times a week and it isn’t moving, drop one of the days or substitute it out for a pressing movement that is easier on your body. Part of this is getting to know your body as well. Figure out what it can and cannot handle.

I’m not a huge science guy, I’m a do it and see if it works guy. From my experience this is the way to go. All I know is that I used to be a REALLY pathetic bencher. After throwing lots of volume at it and learning to do it more efficiently I was a less pathetic bencher, and that was progress. If a lift is struggling keep it simple, listen to your body, and practice.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Got this posted up
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 6:34 pm

University of Iowa Powerlifting Fall 2013 Meet Report
By Seth Thompson

The University of Iowa Powerlifting team had 14 members compete in three different meets this fall.  Our team made an appearance at the USAPL Best of the Midwest, NASA Iowa Regionals, and the UPA Power Weekend.  Months of training paid off and the team as well as individual members all had great showings.

On October 12, Zach Berger, Alex DiRienzo, and Nathan Poage competed at the USAPL Best of the Midwest.  Zach competed in the 242 class hitting a 325 lbs. squat, 298 lbs. bench press, and a 463 lbs. deadlift for a 1085 lbs. total in his first ever powerlifting meet.  In the 181 lbs. class, Alex totaled a PR 1157 lbs. with a 374 lbs. squat, 276 lbs. bench press, and a 507 lbs. deadlift.  Nathan had a great day as well, hitting a 1307 lbs. total in the 165 weight class which qualifies him for RUM VII and ranks him 16th nationally. He squatted 474 lbs. (15th at 165), bench-pressed 259 lbs., and deadlifted 573 lbs. (15th at 165).

October 26 had three members of our team in Des Moines at the NASA Iowa Regionals.  Chris Coffman had a day putting up a PR total of 981 lbs.  He hit a 303 lbs. squat, 237 lbs. bench press, and a 441 lbs. deadlift for a huge PR.  Bryant Medhus competed in the 181 class with a 358 lbs. squat, 231 lbs. bench press, and a 413 lbs. deadlift for a 1003 lbs. total.  Seth Thompson competed in the 220 weight class hitting a PR total of 1218 lbs.  He squatted 418 lbs., bench-pressed 276 lbs., and deadlifted 523 lbs.

We had big group of lifters make the trip to Dubuque on November 16 and 17 for the UPA Power Weekend.  On Saturday, Kyle Keough and Monty Mohammed competed in the opening day of the meet. Kyle squatted 507 lbs., bench pressed 298 lbs., and deadlifted 573 lbs. for a PR total of 1377 lbs.  This total is good for a number 2 ranking nationally in the 148 lbs. weight class as well as 10th all-time in the 148 lbs. class. In the 181 lbs. class Monty hit a 479 lbs. squat, a 231 lbs. bench press, and a 529 lbs. deadlift for a big PR total of 1240 lbs.  Sunday brought another wave of Iowa Powerlifting competitors.  Chris Anderson competed in the 181 lbs. weight class totaling 1300 lbs.  He squatted 479 lbs., bench-pressed 303 lbs., and deadlifted 518 lbs.  Angela Dani competed in her first meet ever, squatting 203 lbs., bench-pressing 99 lbs., and deadlifting 220 lbs. for a 523 lbs. total.  Hanan Fadel also competed in her first powerlifting meet totaling 584 lbs.  Hanan hit a 187 lbs. squat, 110 lbs. bench press, and a 275 lbs. deadlift.  George Foutris competed in the 242 lbs. weight class totaling 1306 lbs.  George squatted 463 lbs., bench-pressed 259 lbs., and deadlifted 584 lbs. for a PR total.  David Peterson made his competitive powerlifting debut in the 198 lbs. weight class squatting 352 lbs., bench pressing 209 lbs., and deadlifting 402 lbs.  Grant Voshell competed in the 181 lbs. weight class.  Grant squatted 429 lbs., bench-pressed 253 lbs., and deadlifted 424 lbs. for a 1107 lbs. total.

All fourteen competitors had great meets and represented Iowa Powerlifting well.  Training has already begun for the next round of meets and we plan on having another great showing.

Last edited by Seth on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 8:32 pm

Hey mate,

I can help fill in some info on Nate's rankings: he's #15 (squat), #15 (deadlift), and #16 (total) at 165. Hope that helps!
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Thank you sir! I'll edit it in here quick before it gets posted to the website.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 11:18 pm

3 Tips for a New Powerlifter
By Seth Thompson

Call this the most cliché article ever, but it speaks the truth.  Know right now that it’s not always easy to stay motivated.    If you have a serious interest in powerlifting or strength training in general and plan to stick with it, here are a few tips to keep you progressing and excited about your journey in strength training.

1. Pick a program and stick with it.
Do some research, find a good program, and stick with it.  Don’t decide on the first program that you think “looks legit”.  Being new to the game you might not have a good idea of what makes up a good training program.  Find some knowledgeable sources and seek their advice.  Chances are you will start with a program like Starting Strength or a good 5x5 program, which work awesome for most beginners.  Pick SOMETHING and give it time to work.  You are not going to see dramatic results in a month.  However, if you give it a few months to work you will see results.  Strength training is quite a journey, I can all but guarantee you that it’s not a sprint.  Have patience and stay consistent.  Put in the time and you will reap the rewards.

2. Surround yourself with positive influences.
Find people that have similar interests to you.  Having people around you that support your goals really is a huge deal.  You can have all the motivation in the world coming from inside you, but sometimes having someone else tell you good job or give you a tip can really light the fire.  Having others that are serious about strength training watch you train can oftentimes help you trouble shoot your lifts as well.  They may see things you don’t, and if you are a true beginner the more experience and knowledge you surround yourself with, the more you are likely to absorb.  Don’t be afraid to strike up a conversation with the strongest guy at your first meet.  Most powerlifters and individuals interested in strength training love to hear from people new to the sport and give them a few tips and encouragement.  Strength sports aren’t exactly mainstream in the United States, so anything that can share the sport is seen as positive.

3. Buy into it.
Strength training is something that will give you direct results.  If you put in half the effort that you are able to, you will get have the results that you are capable of.  Buy into the idea of getting strong and being strong and train hard every day.  Take this seriously.  Set aside 1-2 hours a day to be serious and get after something that most others don’t have the willpower to do.  Train hard for that hour or two and then joke around the rest of the day.  Don’t simply workout, go in and TRAIN.  Go to the gym with a purpose.  A lot of people have the attitude of, “Well I’ll try this out, and if I get a little stronger maybe I’ll stick with it.”  Buy into this from the start.  Know that if you are willing to put in the effort you will see results.  Powerlifting really is one of the most directly rewarding and honest sports you can be a part of.  Weights don’t change.  Doing something that you know you’re body could not do three months ago brings quite the thrill.

There you have it.  Short and sweet, but it couldn’t be more true.  Stick with your plan and find ways to challenge yourself.  The bar will always know what you put into it.  If it moves, it’s for a reason.   If it doesn’t, it’s also for a reason.  Tough it out and stay the course.  In the end it will all be worth it.

Last edited by Seth on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 11:18 pm

I will also add that I encourage anyone to contribute and add new articles. The more new content on our site, the more visitors we will attract.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training Article Submissions   Training Article Submissions - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Training Article Submissions
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3