Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Come Up

Go down 
+6
babyeater
KevinAlvy
Nathan Poage
Keosawa
Chris Anderson
GFou
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

The Come Up - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 9:39 am

Also, sorry, I just saw you sent me something--I'm off to teach in a few minutes, but I'll take a look at it today and get back to you.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 9:39 am

K E O S A W A wrote:
Generally speaking, most people who employ this style end up accidentally knocking themselves out of position.
This is what Mark Bell kept saying in his videos. I need to digest all of this new information.

K E O S A W A wrote:
Every so often, when my training hits a rut and I have a crisis moment, I write a long sob story on here about how bad I feel about everything.
Ha, okay. I'll try not to worry too much about it.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:37 am

Will wrote:
Broceidon wrote:
Nathan Poage wrote:
AAAAAAAAAANDERRRRRRRRSOOOOON!
Oh jeez, what about my profile
Something wrong with that too? This could get interesting. . .
No nothing on my profile. I pull s.u.m.o normally so this could be funny when i try to post
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 12:52 pm

This is a tremendous over-generalization, but:

conventional: Jerk technique BAD.

Conventional: Jerk technique usually bad, sometimes OK, occasionally good.

The evidence I have from this really just comes from watching a lot of lifters lift. The only decent conventional deadlifter who doesn't take the slack out of the bar is Dan Green; everyone else has a very controlled break off the floor.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 12:58 pm

K E O S A W A wrote:

The evidence I have from this really just comes from watching a lot of lifters lift. The only decent conventional deadlifter who doesn't take the slack out of the bar is Dan Green; everyone else has a very controlled break off the floor.
^negged. dan green pulls s.u.m.o.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Will wrote:
Kinda wish it was private.
Daveman uses Evernote to log his training. I use it as well, but not as a log--maybe this would be something useful for you.

Nathan Poage wrote:
AAAAAAAAAANDERRRRRRRRSOOOOON!
wat?

Will wrote:
Feels good to hold back a little too. Tired from training and being up all night so I know I have a lot more.
Recovery is a trainable quality as well as work capacity. Balance the two as you plan out your training and you will attain more success.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Broceidon wrote:
K E O S A W A wrote:

Lol wondering if that was an intentional mistake or not.
Chris Anderson wrote:

Will wrote:
Feels good to hold back a little too. Tired from training and being up all night so I know I have a lot more.
Recovery is a trainable quality as well as work capacity. Balance the two as you plan out your training and you will attain more success.
Sure but there's no magical formula. Training with accumulated fatigue seems to have really boosted my work capacity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 7:14 am

DL 305x11. Started a youtube channel. Here is my first video:

I haven't been able to make it to the gym when the rest of you train but I would love to get opinions.

edit: My strength curve may have changed in the last week. I haven't recorded myself deadlifting before this though. Have some half-baked thoughts but I'll save them for later.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 11:10 pm

Broceidon wrote:
K E O S A W A wrote:

get on the youtubes brah...He pulls conventional in training, and does not pull the slack out of the bar when he does....sooo

negged
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 8:29 am

K E O S A W A wrote:

extreme example, but how can we forget KK

tier below would be david trout, rubish, hickson
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 9:03 am

Kinda going through a funk outside of training and it's getting reflected here. For now just going to continue in the direction I've started on until the path forks again.

Deficit
135x2x10
185x10
225x10

From blocks standing on a plate
225x10
275x10
325x10

The last set I was feeling the previous ones and my grip was slipping too. Tried to do the eccentric lowering but I got out of this habit on the last set at the least.

Actually a little hungover and didn't eat anything before hand and wore my street clothes. Kinda busy this weekend. Bouncing the ball afterwards felt like DEATH. Old farts play pick up in the morning. Funny to watch them warm up. Giving me curious glances.

I'm making past progress neurologically with the DL.Movement feels a little different each time.

My starting position at any ROM is with my weight on more toes and my shins/knees a little forward. Just feels like the best way to break it from the floor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 10:59 am

Footage of my crippled leg in action:

Nothing special but I want to record my training. I would call these "dunks" but not "slams". Obviously I could get higher if I took more steps. Later on I'll pull everything together and get full approaches. Still haven't used the SST methodology yet and hoping that that set of exercise will make a lot of improvement.

Here's a guy my height with a much longer overhead reach:

My head gets at least as high as his and he's doing full approaches. (I actually think I might get higher but it's hard to tell with camera angles). Can't palm the ball so I kind of come up like a lay up on the side of the rim and turn my hands around. Looks stupid. I'm like 1-2" from putting my whole hand through the hoop. The ball SHOULD go straight down through the net instead of what happens in my video. Also not very lean right now. I'd estimate 12-15% BF. Getting into single digits would add around 2" to my jump. I think I can make it look better with two hands but I'm not interested in doing this right now.

Wanting to get back to my previous ability so badly!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 11:11 am

Looks like my head gets right to the bottom of the backboard but this is just the angle because I'm a little in front of the backboard and the camera is be from beneath. I'm several inches short I'm guessing. Thought about doing some trigonometry to calculate it but the measurements it would be based on are too rough. Anyway if I can hit my head on the backboard that's a 42"+ RVJ off one leg which would be among the very best in the NBA. Wanting to do this very badly.

Edit: strong complusion to go back and see if I can do any better. The answer is no. I'm actually sitting on the court right now. I calculated that wrong. 40" if I can hit my head on the backboard. Cemera angle from the side shows I'm not very close at all. Nerves are drained. Leg giving out. Something sorta hurt in my ass at the end but feels fine now. Either tweaked something minor or the nerve root in my spine is compressed by the disc material a little. Also I don't think I'm jumping higher than Joel.

Last edited by Will on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 11:23 am

White man can jump!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
White man can jump!
Barely. Camera angle is forgiving.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 11:38 pm

I am too much of a white country manlet to know what the hell is going on in here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2013 10:30 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
I am too much of a white country manlet to know what the hell is going on in here.
Rep it for the manlets, Chris. Strong like bull.

I went to the CRWC three times today to do cable reverse hypers. Originally when I started rehabbing last year I thought this would be an excellent exercise but it brought back the sciatic nerve pain. Started thinking today that one leg take off are really like a combo of single leg squat and reverse hyper. So, figured I'd give them another shot and couldn't stop. Didn't really intend for this. These compulsions have to be a sign of severe mental illness. THe last time I spent 2 hours doing single leg reverse hypers exclusively on my crippled leg. Same story: can't feel the tension very well at all. At least my hamstrings don't light up. Found out there's a "glute" machine which is a piece of shit. It hits my quads more than my ass. I don't think it's built for someone over 6 feet (prolly made for girls) and I couldn't adjust it very well. Maxed it out that plate stack and also the cable plate stack doing single leg reverse hypers. I actually do them a little differently which is allowed because there is no pendulum arm that is a fixed length. So, I keep my knee bent a little at the beginning and this seems to better mimic single leg take offs and disengages my hams a little. Felt like my head was going to explode when I maxed out the cable plate stack. Came home and my girlfriend screamed, "what's wrong with your face!?" Burst blood vessels on my forehead. Prolly killed some brain cells too. Felt a very sharp pain in my neck at the beginning of the second session when breathing so I did triples holding my breath. Seemed to get better though and I did more reps. Just fucking around with it. I also did some explosive/jumping step-ups, bounding, and single leg take-offs (fatigued from yesterday) before a few of the sessions. I've been doing some bounding to warm up lately which goes along with my original plan when I started this log. The bounding actually feels pretty good. When I started doing these in August/Sept I was like a wet noodle. Core strength has improved. Also swinging my arms better. I have to internally rotate my shoulders. My favorite athlete is Valery Brumel and he has this iconic technique. Wondered why the fuck he does it but it seems to come naturally to me today. I think we have some similarities. Not only do we look similar (in the face) but he had a horrible injury that effectively ended his career. He was an iron addict and very strong for a high jumper. His best back squat was 385 (high bar). And he wasn't a pussy after his injury like that alcoholic Yaschenko (although I have a lot of respect for this man also). I find this video of Brumel very moving:

The Come Up - Page 4 Valery_Brumel

A very little, localized part of my vastus medialis halfway up my thigh is incredibly sore. Kind of ended my bounding session (performance was starting to drop off anyway)

It's just very weird to me that I can put in so much work in on this muscle (gluteus maximus) and it will contract but (1) I can't feel the tension even though when I reach back and touch myself (really don't give a fuck what the other people in the gym think at this point anymore) I can feel that it's pretty hard and (2) I can't ever seem to get any soreness in it. I do seem to be making slow progress with the hypertrophy goal.

Another thing: my spine itself was feeling sore this morning. Feels better now.

These compulsions really can't be helped so I'm not going to beat myself up over them. As long as I can keep bumping up this 10RM DL and make progress jumping around.

Confused and frustrated. Another ridiculous log post. Parting word: FUCK
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 9:58 pm

Yesterday:

High box step ups (red plyo box) 20 sets of 5 on each leg w/ 85lbs barbell

My knee hasn't been crunching so it's time to start knee extension exercise again.

Went to the tennis facility by my apartment to make another stab at these upper body lifts. I would like to compete at some point in the next year so I gotta do this

Bench 135x3x5
Pull-ups 2x10
Dips 10, 6
Lying triceps extensions with empty barbell

My elbow is kinda funky from getting hit playing ball. Saw a guy in chucks and we chatted. Suggested the club and he seemed interested but I doubt anything will come of it. Got a ppl pleasing vibe from him cool guy tho hope he joins.

Like doing upperbody cause even tho I'm weak everything works properly. Stretch marks under my arms are bright pink.

Today I played ball. My legs are pretty cashed even tho no soreness. Mostly a rest day. Need one. All I ate was bacon and chocolate cake. Drank milk

Feelsgoodman
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Crunching? Did you fuck up your meniscus?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 11:12 pm

Really don't think so. I've had noisy knees as long as I can remember but it seemed to worsen and actually hurt. That's why I stopped squatting two or three weeks ago. It was just through the range of motion at the bottom of a squat. Donno what it was all about. Wondering if it wasnt a plica getting irritated
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 8:24 pm

I finally responded to your PM--I mostly agreed with your plan and made a few (minor) suggestions. I hope the response helps.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 6:45 pm

Yesterday I did 95x3x5 press and btn sn grip with empty barbell

Today I did 310x10 DL. I donno if I'm setting up a little differently, intermuscular coordination is different, or what. Definitely feels a lot different. Got a lot of tension on my hams on the last two reps. Sucks that I got a different camera angle. I was really not prepared to lift and I just woke up from a nap. I was hoping to see other people at the gym today but it was just me and a crowded CRWC. Donno what the two bros are looking at on my last rep. Clueless asian guy follows suit. Amusing seeing people who donno I'm filming them.

Quality kinda crappy when I uploaded this video.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 11:50 am

There are some fucking crazy people out there.

Might as well start from the beginning. . .

Went to the tennis facility to bench and I sat my coat on the leg extension machine next to me because I didn't want it on the floor. It's usually a pretty empty place so this hasn't been a problem. Of course if someone needed to use the machine I would move it.

Dude walks up and starts shaking his head like he stepped in dog shit, "bro you're gonna have to move this." No problem. Got it out of his way. He gets on the machine and starts doing some really weird shit where he extends one leg almost all of the way, holds the isometric position, and scissors his legs quickly, basically switching the isometric position to the other leg. He does this for a few reps and gets off the machine. In between his sets he's picking up all of the cable accessories and putting them back into place. He's also taking a spray bottle an wiping EVERYTHING down -- like EVERYTHING in sight

I'm pretty curious what this is all about so I ask him if he works here. Not being confrontational at all. I had a smile on my face -- just curious why he's doing all of this. He said he likes it this way or whatever. I joked about him being a good Samaritan or something. Got the immediate sense that the dude has some kind of OCD so I didn't wanna press it any further.

Meanwhile I'm noticing he's doing this really weird circuit of partial movements and isometric holds. One of the weirdest things he did was a combo single leg press/piriformis stretch with the non-working leg. Looked like this on a leg press machine:

The Come Up - Page 4 Piriformis_Stretch

When he was resting I went over and tried to ask him about it. Again, I wasn't being confrontational at all. Just a good natured curiosity. He said he was "in the zone" and didn't want to talk. Whatever. I can understand that. There was a definite bite to the things he was saying though. At this point I'm getting a definite asshole vibe from the dude.

So I'm going about the rest of my workout. I just finished benching and I'm doing my pullups. I'm resting a lot more than I'm lifting. This guy is getting into his circuit which has him resting very little between exercises. During my rest I was watching him a little because I've never seen anyone do this kind of stuff. I think this is very normal at the gym. I see it all of the time and it never bothers me or anyone else.

But he becomes extremely aware that I'm keeping an eye on him form time to time and it must have made him very uncomfortable. I'm not trying to start anything I so try and ignore him. However every time I turn my head this dude is staring right at me -- during his fucking sets. It must have been all he could think about. At one point I catch him with his head rotated 90 degrees while he's on the lat pull down and he's staring dead at me. We lock eyes for 5-6 seconds and he break eye contact. After his set I go up and try to ask him why he's doing this to me -- trying to be reasonable. Mainly I just wanted this crap to end. I should have just left it alone and taken it for granted that this dude is nuts. Kinda seemed like he was trying to assert his dominance or something. Maybe I should have submitted to this but curiosity got the better of me.

Anyway I walk over and he starts walking away. I took another step towards him and he acts like I have the plague. Said something about how I'm harassing him and I gave an awkward laugh. I got the sense that he was very paranoid. Dude starts freaking out about how I've ruined his workout and all this crap. No point trying to be reasonable anymore. This skinny-fat dude who just walked into the gym and didn't see anything before this starts taking his side for no apparent reason. Couldn't believe things were being construed this way. Only reason I stepped towards him was to sort this out. One of those 'IS THIS REAL LIFE??' moments. Had to get out of the fucking place. Honestly thought I was going to catch a bullet on the way out.

Clearly had severe mental issues. Dude was clearly on steroids but IDK if that was the cause or the effect. Bodybuilder type so he prolly had some kind of body dysmorphia. Black guy too. I donno what it is here in Iowa but it seems like race relations are pretty crappy. Some black guys on the court giving me very dirty looks/remarks when I'm only being friendly. Never had issues like this before. Backwards as fuck.

Anyway,
bench 140x3x5
pullups 2x10
things got cut short for obvious reasons. . . meant to do dips and lying triceps ext
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Protip: dont talk to random people in the gym. You could be friendly as all hell and some people just don't like it.

EDIT: especially circuit douchebags
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 1:38 pm

Last thing I wanna do is interrupt anyone's training. Ironic part is that this dude started bitching about my shit on the leg extension machine while I'm in the middle of my bench set.

Try to learn lessons from these types of situations. Def don't think striking up a conversation when the setting is appropriate is a bad thing. Pretty sure this dude would have been giving me looks regardless.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Come Up   The Come Up - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Come Up
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: