Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mentor Program Sign-Up

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

Mentor Program Sign-Up Empty
PostSubject: Mentor Program Sign-Up   Mentor Program Sign-Up Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Like I mentioned at the meeting, we are going to be building up a roster of people who would like to help out and guide newer members of the club. I think we have a lot of people who would be absolutely great at this, and it would really help with membership retention, as well as helping members actually learn more about powerlifting and get to know members in our club better.

Every ounce of work that our mentors put in towards helping others is going to be returned tenfold in making our club better, top-to-bottom. Mentors can think of this as being a sponsor for each new member they help out, making them feel more comfortable in the club as well as making more progress in their strength training. In addition, mentors get to hone their skills by teaching others about technique, programming, attempt selection, and all the nuances of powerlifting.

What this program WILL be:
-a way to improve membership retention
-an opportunity to educate others about strength training and powerlifting
-a program to improve club cohesiveness and togetherness

What this program will NOT be:
-a university-sponsored dating program (looking at you, Cough Man)
-a personal training service (for legal purposes)

Mentors and the member (or prospective member) can work together and determine the degree of intervention they would like to put forth. If a new member just wants somebody to ask questions about training and such, that's fine. If they want somebody to help completely overhaul their technique and "hold their hand" for a while as they begin their programming, that's fine too. The point is to meet the individual needs of newer members as best as we can.

The first step, as we discussed, is the buildup up a roster of people who want to be mentors. This thread will serve as the official but unofficial roster. If you want to be a mentor, just post in here, along with basic information about yourself like what days you train on, what time you normally train, if you prefer to work with somebody really closely or a bit more hands-off, basic contact information, etc. Give whatever information you think is pertinent. I will also give an opportunity at the next meeting to have a sign-up sheet for the same purpose.

Mentors:

Kyle Keough
David Petersen
Nathan Poage
Zach Berger
Chris Coffman

Last edited by Chris Anderson on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:32 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Mentor Program Sign-Up   Mentor Program Sign-Up Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 12:45 am

I can sign up to help. I train on most days (Mondays and Thursdays off) at around 4-6pm. I can do whatever is best for the other person. I don't mind instruction during my training time, but I also don't like having to take my focus off of my training and putting it onto someone else if they don't know anything, because good instruction takes a lot of time (I'll do it outside of my training though). I'll give people lots of info, but I also expect for them to do their homework and be willing to do things like keep a training log and video some of their training for me. For selfish reasons, it's nice to work with someone who has at least a bit of experience.

My e-mail's kyle-keough@uiowa.edu and my number's 401-651-3076. I just would like to be around serious people; I don't want to help somebody who will quit and waste my time. I'm jaded from seeing so many people show up motivated and then flake out, but I'll try really hard to help someone who's genuinely interested in learning.

Otherwise, I guess that I should say that I'm 27 and a grad student, so it may or may not make sense to match me up with another grad student, if you have one that's interested.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Zcleve
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: Mentor Program Sign-Up   Mentor Program Sign-Up Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 10:30 am

I'm up for doing this in the future, once my form's a lot more solid and I basically don't suck like I do now. I'm definitely on board for giving back, since I'm very grateful to the club for helping me so much.

Edit: Someone please tell me when I suck less so I can assuage the guilt I have from freeloading and give back ASAP.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Mentor Program Sign-Up   Mentor Program Sign-Up Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2013 5:07 pm

Zcleve wrote:
I'm up for doing this in the future, once my form's a lot more solid and I basically don't suck like I do now. I'm definitely on board for giving back, since I'm very grateful to the club for helping me so much.

Edit: Someone please tell me when I suck less so I can assuage the guilt I have from freeloading and give back ASAP.
You're making great progress and getting better every week, Zach.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
rndchris
Class IV
Class IV
rndchris

PostSubject: Re: Mentor Program Sign-Up   Mentor Program Sign-Up Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 11:55 am

Basic Information:

Training times
Time: M early morning 8am, W 5pm (ish), F, 8am, and then 4pm, Sat morning

Contact info: christopher-coffman@uiowa.edu

Pertinent info:
Single. Taken

Going on my second year of lifting, I'd probably be most useful to people who are fairly new to lifting in general. I joined the club basically having never touched a barbell, and I'd like to introduce other to the sport. My schedule is a little crazy, so I'm probably best for training with twice a week, because it looks like my wednesday sessions are going to be sporatic.

Edit: Not so single anymore.

Last edited by rndchris on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Mentor Program Sign-Up   Mentor Program Sign-Up Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 11:56 am

Chris Anderson wrote:

rndchris wrote:

Pertinent info:
Single.

staaahp
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Mentor Program Sign-Up   Mentor Program Sign-Up Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

rndchris wrote:

Pertinent info:
Single.

staaahp
He's single, but is he ready to mingle? Inquiring minds need to know!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mentor Program Sign-Up   Mentor Program Sign-Up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mentor Program Sign-Up
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: